• Decks 13 Apr 2021 18:49:46 29,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You've never babared your elephant?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 19:22:01 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Let's work backwards here. Real Ghostbusters has crossed over with IDW Ghostbusters, which has crossed over with TMNT, which has crossed over with Batman and Power Rangers and Transformers and X-Files. From Transformers alone you have a crossover with Friday 13th, My Little Pony, Star Trek and Marvel.

So Kirk riding Rainbow Dash Sparkles into battle against a symbiote Megatron, possessed by Gozer, while in the dreamland of Freddy Krueger is officially canon.

Now where's a blimp.
    This is what that Dr Strange Multiverse film is going to be about
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 19:22:02 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 13 Apr 2021 20:22:18 24,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Decks My son genuinely can't understand, like even at all, the concept of watching TV and a cartoon only being on for 20 mins, with adverts, and then you having to wait a week to watch the next in the series....if you were lucky and they were a) even scheduling them in the correct order and/or b) they didn't just decide to only purchase half the series and go on to something else instead.

Or that if you missed it, you missed it. No streaming. You missed it. And if you didn't have a video tape free because Mum had recorded Emmerdale and still hadn't watched it yet, or the Timer didn't work and instead recorded the first 10 mins of the News, you were properly screwed.

THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD LIFE IS!
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2021 20:22:41 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm surprised Rocket Raccoon never crossed over with the absolutely shit and preachy The Raccoons cartoon with the aardvarks that were pink for some fucking reason. Banging end theme tune though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 00:26:49 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey if he watches the 90s X-Men in Disney+ theres one or two out of sequence episodes that really throw the continuity off in some multipart stories.

Does he know about Timmy Mallet yet?
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Apr 2021 00:42:44 14,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have to be careful and introduce Timmy Mallet gently into a small boy.
  • RawShark 14 Apr 2021 01:52:06 1,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I'm surprised Rocket Raccoon never crossed over with the absolutely shit and preachy The Raccoons cartoon with the aardvarks that were pink for some fucking reason. Banging end theme tune though.
    We are freeeeeeeee!!! Hey hey hey...
  • RawShark 14 Apr 2021 01:59:06 1,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kentmonkey itís mental how they have whole channels broadcasting throughout the day. When we were kids we had about three hours after school - two hours of which were wasted on either watching Andy Peters mince about on camera with hand puppets, pre school piddle like Pigeon Street or something painfully boring like Grange Hill or Blue Peter. Then Neighbours would come on and you felt like you might as well just go to bed.
  • Saul_Iscariot 14 Apr 2021 02:28:01 4,317 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neighbours coming on meant weíd grab the cricket bat. Then go out and earn some money battering the local pervs balls with it. Happier, simpler times. Of course there was a war on, and didnít fight in it, admittedly, to see people not wearing poppies at Christmas. Aye, I can remember when all this was industrial wasteland.
  • kentmonkey 14 Apr 2021 08:24:55 24,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The X-Men cartoon ordering is very annoying. Why have they done that? I also don't remember the voice cast being so terrible - it's like they chose the person who could do the best 'worst stereotypical voice' for each character.

In my day it was transformers on a Saturday, with one cartoon split in the middle and made to wait about two hours before you could see the ending of it... and it still had adverts in it!!

I felt proper old last year when he went to stay at his nan and grandad's (in the pre Covid years) and, aged 5, he came home to tell me 'their TV is different. They have these programs in-between cartoons that show you loads of toys. Can we get those programs?'

He had never seen adverts before!!!
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Apr 2021 08:46:58 7,309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My kids are the same. The one time they saw adverts they complained it was the wrong programme, itís no bad thing they donít know about adverts.
  • Jono62 14 Apr 2021 08:52:49 26,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @Decks My son genuinely can't understand, like even at all, the concept of watching TV and a cartoon only being on for 20 mins, with adverts, and then you having to wait a week to watch the next in the series....if you were lucky and they were a) even scheduling them in the correct order and/or b) they didn't just decide to only purchase half the series and go on to something else instead.

Or that if you missed it, you missed it. No streaming. You missed it. And if you didn't have a video tape free because Mum had recorded Emmerdale and still hadn't watched it yet, or the Timer didn't work and instead recorded the first 10 mins of the News, you were properly screwed.

THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD LIFE IS!
    Heh, I remember when they introduced the videoplus codes and it still managed to miss most of the start of episodes. Or looking at the tape, thinking there is enough space and coming home to a tape ejected and only half the episode on it.
  • Alan_Wakes_Torch 14 Apr 2021 09:10:10 126 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    The X-Men cartoon ordering is very annoying. Why have they done that?
    X-Men has always been a mess, the order in which they were written to be shown was different to the order they were made and then both of them were different to the order they were aired. Even if you go via the original script order you still end up with the odd continuity issue due to changes made in production. Its really a bad show to binge
  • RawShark 14 Apr 2021 09:38:33 1,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I remember toward the end of the 1990s Spider-man series there was really shonky continuity issues within the episodes themselves. Like youíd actually see the third act of the episode before the second. Always wondered why they didnít fix it for the DVD releases.

Likewise, now everything is available to stream, why canít they fix the episode ordering with x-men? Is metadata that difficult to workaround?
  • JamboWayOh 14 Apr 2021 09:56:44 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe they can't be arsed because it's a cartoon. There's always that.
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Apr 2021 10:23:10 7,309 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess 40 year old men spot things 12 year olds might not.
  • RawShark 14 Apr 2021 12:38:53 1,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah I remember it being out of sequence even when they first aired. You can easily tell in both series the precise moments when their budgets got cut.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Apr 2021 12:41:57 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /Imagines user RawShark sitting close to the tv with a clipboard shouting "AH HA!" at the pivotal moment
  • RawShark 14 Apr 2021 13:08:44 1,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Then I wrote a letter to teletext.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 13:36:06 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its pretty remarkable that X-Men and Spiderman were both allowed to fo long multi-part comic faithful plot arcs as much as they did
  • kentmonkey 14 Apr 2021 16:27:12 24,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've so got to show him Teletext some day. His mind will be blown.

'and this is how you used to get the weather, football scores, or departure/landing times for planes'
  • Your-Mother 14 Apr 2021 16:28:42 7,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Christ, what was that quiz game on Teletext? C4 teletext I think, used the reveal button a lot and a choose your own adventure style "go to page 134 for answer a"
  • mrpon 14 Apr 2021 16:31:51 37,164 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bamboozle? 150?!
  • ChiefGB 14 Apr 2021 17:41:39 13,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    🤣 time capsule magic in here.
  • Wayne 14 Apr 2021 17:47:26 3,357 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I've so got to show him Teletext some day. His mind will be blown.

'and this is how you used to get the weather, football scores, or departure/landing times for planes'
    My dad still uses Teletext, though I donít think itís the big blocky text thing it used to be.
  • ChiefGB 14 Apr 2021 17:55:41 13,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably on an app now 🙄
  • ChiefGB 14 Apr 2021 17:56:41 13,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thereís actually several 🤣 (I had to take a look)
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Apr 2021 04:41:17 4,317 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Christ, what was that quiz game on Teletext? C4 teletext I think, used the reveal button a lot and a choose your own adventure style "go to page 134 for answer a"
    When I used to finish a night shift and get home, before anything else, I would read Digitiser, Planet Sound, then play Bamboozle. In the background I would listen to the Hoobs, as the TV shows sound would play.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 16 Apr 2021 09:31:34 373 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fixing a boat montage!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.