Riveting!
  • kentmonkey 16 Apr 2021 11:01:23 24,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I actually did lol
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Apr 2021 11:07:43 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting episode to set up the finale next week.

Triple montage is a strong push.

I think Walker was right when he said he represents America in that Senate meeting. Not sure how they’ll squeeze whatever Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is doing in with only one episode left - unless presumably she’s the Power Broker.

Walker’s DIY incel shield from the post-credit scene will presumably be smashed to pieces as soon as he fights Bucky or Falcon as they have vibranium based weapons and he made his in the garage.

I really liked the stuff about race when Falcon gets a life lesson on how things were and still are. Having reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and other stuff about the medical experiments carried out on African-Americans without their consent it rang so true
  • davidfowles 16 Apr 2021 13:46:16 442 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Another great cliffhanger, and it’s just a box.

I think this has become much better than the first episodes suggested.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Apr 2021 15:10:38 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That its only six episodes has kept the plot pretty tight while allowing for character development down time moments.

It had the potential to be dreadful if it was 12 parts on Netflix or 24 episodes of network tv
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 15:13:26 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its pretty funny how Wakanda is now The Tony Stark Country.
  • Your-Mother 16 Apr 2021 15:16:42 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My main concern is that it’s just a little pointless. Endgame ended with the assumption that Falcon would be the new Cap, Bucky was reformed and fixed, Zemo in jail etc. This is going to end with Falcon as the new Cap, Bucky reformed and fixed, Zemo in jail. I don’t feel like there’s been a huge amount of necessary character development beyond “Zemo is cool and now Sam and Bucky are BFFs”

It skirted around too many of the themes for too long, introduced a bunch of logic holes, and is all set to neatly package it all up in spectacularly obvious ways. All feels a bit “filler because we’ve got nothing else to show”
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 15:21:27 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think thats probably deliberate as they dont want too many gaps to fill in if you dont watch eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrryyyyythiiiiiiing.

Its just a nice bit of colour around the edges of a world where weird shit is now happening. I would have probably gone a step further and had some kind of weird nihilist cult spinning off from a global psychosis that things exist in space that could just wipe them out at any given moment. People seem to be handling the blip pretty well, refugees notwithstanding.
  • Your-Mother 16 Apr 2021 15:27:27 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sure, but at least WandaVision managed to move a few goalposts (and RETCON a BELOVED CHARACTER OMG). FatWS isn’t a bad show, it just feels all a little flat and “eh”, even when we’re on the beeline for the finale. One of those “I’m never going to rewatch this” serieseses.

Spending more time on Black Captain America and not relegating the entire conversation on race down to a rusty boat and five minutes with an old man might have given it more depth, but probably asking too much from Marvel there tbh.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 15:34:34 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, for sure. I would go as far to say that I know a common complaint is that streaming shows are too long but I would happily have taken seven episodes with an entire one devoted to a flashback of the tale Isiah briefly retold.

'I went to rescue my fellow supersoldiers..........'

• Your-Mother 16 Apr 2021 15:43:48 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, show don't tell would help a lot. "I was experimented on, PS now wikipedia Tuskegee Experiments to fill in the gaps here" doesn't have much resonance.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Apr 2021 16:48:08 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, for sure. I would go as far to say that I know a common complaint is that streaming shows are too long but I would happily have taken seven episodes with an entire one devoted to a flashback of the tale Isiah briefly retold.

'I went to rescue my fellow supersoldiers..........'
    That’ll be its own streaming series in the next round of Disney Marvel announcements
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Apr 2021 17:16:11 7,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    An episode or two worth around those experiments could have been good, even intertwining the two stories somehow. As it is this could have been all been covered in a half decent film.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 17:30:50 16-04-2021
  • captbirdseye 16 Apr 2021 17:17:47 10,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bradley's backstory is more much interesting and I hope we eventually a series on that.
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 17:25:10 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And I dont want to tell them how to do their job but it might have been fun to see the grandson shoot a basket from the other side of the street as a throwaway background shot.
  • LegendaryApe 16 Apr 2021 22:38:07 2,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm enjoying the series but it's bothering me how crap Bucky is in a fight
  • nickthegun 16 Apr 2021 22:45:17 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    During the fight with Walker I did think ‘this used to be the guy who went toe to toe with someone who hit thanos with a hammer’. Bucky is basically the end of level boss who joins your party after you beat him.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Apr 2021 22:50:36 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I get that Walker’s serum was a new refined and enhanced type but Bucky has his own plus a vibranium arm and was basically the world’s most deadly assassin for about 50 years. He should’ve been able to beat the hell out of US Agent
  • neems 17 Apr 2021 00:10:32 5,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe it's because he 'has issues', like he's scared to let go in case he reverts to type.
  • beastmaster 17 Apr 2021 00:18:41 22,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alfred Molina Confirms His Return As Doctor Octopus In Spider-Man: No Way Home.
  • Your-Mother 17 Apr 2021 00:24:54 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why Are You Capitalizing Every Word
  • JamboWayOh 17 Apr 2021 00:28:23 23,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel like this would have had more impact had user Baihu revealed it.
  • Your-Mother 17 Apr 2021 00:47:30 7,393 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He’d at least have provided his Google Alert link.
  • davidfowles 17 Apr 2021 01:48:09 442 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Bradley's backstory is more much interesting and I hope we eventually a series on that.
    Given they have dried egg-white all over the actors face to age him, I was expecting an extensive flashback sequence. They might be waiting to gauge reaction and keeping the Isiah flashback series as a possibility, or maybe it just got cut from
    the show.

This series reminds me of Infinity Gauntlet tie ins. Doctor Strange would say “I’m off to the shops for cigs” in the main Infinity Gauntlet miniseries, then in his own comic he’d be interrupted by some z-list villain and have a pointless adventure, then get the cigs. In the next issue of Infinity Gauntlet he’d walk in with a cigarette in his mouth and the whole pointless escape would never be mentioned, but Marvel already had your money.
  • Scimarad 17 Apr 2021 05:17:13 9,949 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's not really pointless if you enjoyed it though, is it?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Apr 2021 08:31:57 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With Marvel producing content directly for Disney+ there’s no reason why they couldn’t do a tv movie or mini series to tell Bradley’s story.

Maybe an ‘event’ where they do a three parter Monday, Wednesday, Friday to build the hype
  • rockavitch 17 Apr 2021 09:12:01 1,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't have an issue with Bucky not being that great a fighter in this after all with the exception of the people in the club (that he destroyed easily) the rest all had taken the serum.

And sure he was the deadliest assassin for ages but he was mind controlled so didn't have to think about his actions or feel guilt while fighting with the intent to kill that he is struggling with here (that Walker wasn't).

Even in the movies, once he became "Bucky" again he got his ass kicked constantly by everyone with even the slightest bit of actual fight training, hell both he and Falcon together got beaten by an inexperienced Spider-Man.

He's got the skill but he's just not smart enough to use it fully when he has to think about his next move in a fight. Was better in ultra instinct mode.
  • captbirdseye 17 Apr 2021 09:21:58 10,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He hasn't really been handled that well on screen bar he first part of Winter Soldier. I was really expecting a She-Hulk cameo in the courtroom scene.
  • davidfowles 17 Apr 2021 09:40:53 442 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They made a big deal about the cameo in episode five, and it just turned out to be that sitcom lady playing a character I don’t know. My first guess is that she’s going to be a rip-off of Amanda Waller setting up a squad of villains. MCU Thunderbolts maybe, neat shift away from Zemo.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Apr 2021 09:45:18 25,729 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not just a sitcom lady. It's Elaine!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.