Marvel Cinematic Universe Page 115

• Not-a-reviewer 26 May 2021 20:34:40 7,640 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There’s a new Captain America as well.
  • Your-Mother 26 May 2021 20:37:56 8,011 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's also continuation of Iron Man stuff with Armor Wars and Ironheart.
  • creepiest-lizard 26 May 2021 20:39:07 2,868 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know what any of you are talking about.
  • Saul_Iscariot 26 May 2021 20:52:31 4,382 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RE the Mutants are hated by the humans in a world of superheroes, the difference between Cyclops, Wolverine etc, is it is believed that they are another species that will eventually replace humanity. Captain America, the Hulk on the other hand are seen as humans who have been given gifts, and use them to help people.

In the comics, the first Mutant that the populace became aware of on a global scale was Magneto. He was trying to destroy humans. At the time, the X-Men covertly worked with the US government, giving them an air of what are they trying to hide.

It isn’t the most nuanced scenario, but the Mutants were set up as being a different set up to heroes you saw as working for the greater good.
  • davidfowles 27 May 2021 06:07:40 502 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    There’s a new Spider-Man film this year. He’s not going anywhere.
    I really expect he is. This movie is surely going to shunt him into a universe separate from the MCU, where Sony can put him into their miniCU with spider man villains and Morbius etc.
  • nickthegun 27 May 2021 08:47:26 87,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently, we have learned nothing from wandavision
  • xandoodle 27 May 2021 10:13:44 471 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @davidfowles Ahh so right now they've evolved quite a bit past that characterisation.

I could go through it, but even without the familiarity, Hickman's current reboot is pretty astonishing.

Basically, I'd recommend getting hold of the collected (I... cannot deal with weeklies) House of X/Powers of X. It's quite a different X-Men story, and places mutants quite differently within the universe.

That, and Hellfire Club is now Hellfire Trading Corporation.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 May 2021 10:18:27 19,679 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I’ve been away from new superhero comics for absolutely ages but House of X/Powers of X did look fantastic in the previews
  • davidfowles 8 Jun 2021 10:07:40 502 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So I think Loki drops in the next day or two?
  • RunningMan 8 Jun 2021 10:19:40 3,096 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomorrow, can't wait
  • drhickman1983 8 Jun 2021 10:25:34 7,762 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't feel all that excited about The MCU anymore. With the old guard moving on (Stark, Cap, it's looking likely that Thor will move on soon enough) I'm just not that convinced that any of the new blood are interesting enough.

Of the newish characters, T'challa would have been an engaging lead but obviously, and sadly that's not an option. Kind of feels like the franchise is full of good secondary characters, but I just don't know if they're charismatic enough to act as a tent pole.
  • RGeefe 8 Jun 2021 10:50:30 2,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll be flogged to death now. They could have ended it brilliantly with Endgame and then have a disparate collection of films or series.

But it looks like they'll keep churning out 2-3 a year. They fucked Star Wars so they're desperate not to fuck this.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Jun 2021 10:56:15 5,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MCU is very different to star wars... aren't they basically just doing live action continuation of the comic book approach? Not like they don't "flog to death" the characters and story lines there. Difference here is they make a lot more money (i presume) than selling comic books, and reach a much larger audience.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jun 2021 11:04:34 19,679 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I’m assuming the next Thor is his last and Spider-man feels like he’s in his own bubble so they don’t have the big leads like before but the quality hasn’t really dipped even if the star power has.

Although its probably worth remembering that a lot of the characters from the original sequence had name value but weren’t especially popular. Certainly not the tentpole characters they became.

There’s no way they can keep up what they’ve had though. Its unprecedented to put together a 20+ movie franchise and at worst the lower tier ones are merely formulaic.
  • Derblington 8 Jun 2021 11:05:35 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This sounds very reminiscent of the start of the MCU, when no-one cared about half of the characters because they were b-tier and yet here we are, 22+ films and series later.

They've proven they can make characters most people have never heard of appealing. I wouldn't write it off just yet.

I don't think we'll get another Infinity Saga. That they pulled that off to the staggering degree of success is nothing short of amazing. It has to reset a bit - unlike the comics they can't keep actors from aging, but I think once we get the FF and X-men actually kicking off properly we'll see some interesting stuff coming along again.

There is a huge volume of movies in the next couple of years due to Covid. I can't imagine that pace will continue with the series coming along too. There'll just be a lot of content in more places.
  • Wayne 8 Jun 2021 11:06:16 3,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Of the newish characters, T'challa would have been an engaging lead but obviously, and sadly that's not an option. Kind of feels like the franchise is full of good secondary characters, but I just don't know if they're charismatic enough to act as a tent pole.
    The second Black Panther movie is due for release next year.
  • captbirdseye 8 Jun 2021 11:07:50 11,131 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I am looking forward to the rage on what they will do with Thor lol.
  • oldskooldeano 8 Jun 2021 11:20:19 3,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    So I think Loki drops in the next day or two?
    I’ve heard people say it’s better than Wandavision. Quite unique and weird. Owen Wilson is top tier in it. We shall see!
  • drhickman1983 8 Jun 2021 11:47:57 7,762 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Yes, but pretty sure T'challa wont be returning. I'm sure they'll pass the mantle on to somebody else but none of the supporting cast seem as charismatic as Boseman.
  • drhickman1983 8 Jun 2021 11:58:53 7,762 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I am looking forward to the rage on what they will do with Thor lol.
    There *will* be a lot of rage if Jane Foster becomes Thor, but she hasn't exactly been an interesting character in the MCU so far so I'm intrigued how they handle it.

Valkyrie would be a more interesting Thor than Jane Foster. It wouldn't match the comics lore but at least that would be fun.
  • DocDawg 8 Jun 2021 12:12:14 185 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Yes, but pretty sure T'challa wont be returning. I'm sure they'll pass the mantle on to somebody else but none of the supporting cast seem as charismatic as Boseman.
    I think T'challa and Boseman will return as a CGI character like Moffin and Leia did in Star Wars.
  • Wayne 8 Jun 2021 12:13:43 3,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DocDawg wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I think T'challa and Boseman will return as a CGI character like Moffin and Leia did in Star Wars.
    They've already ruled that out (unless they go back on their word)
  • Load_2.0 8 Jun 2021 14:20:55 33,520 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've no problem with them churning out a load of films. There's endless source material and characters, I consider it big budget TV.
  • askew 8 Jun 2021 14:23:16 24,005 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Bring back Michael B. Jordan!
  • Wayne 8 Jun 2021 14:23:26 3,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I find it funny how people will binge entire seasons of TV shows in a weekend, and then complain that three movies in a year is too much.
  • davidfowles 8 Jun 2021 14:26:44 502 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Here’s the thing, Boseman was diagnosed with cancer right after he played BP in Captain America 3, I think 5 - 6 years ago? Go and watch Black Panther and realise this is a guy being treated for bowel cancer, amazing.

Assuming they knew he was at risk, what are the odds they recorded a little something, even audio, before his death that could used to make Black Panther 2 make sense.
  • Decks 8 Jun 2021 14:27:59 30,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I find it funny how people will binge entire seasons of TV shows in a weekend, and then complain that three movies in a year is too much.
    Perhaps they're not the same people Wayne.
  • Derblington 8 Jun 2021 14:33:40 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    Here’s the thing, Boseman was diagnosed with cancer right after he played BP in Captain America 3, I think 5 - 6 years ago? Go and watch Black Panther and realise this is a guy being treated for bowel cancer, amazing.

Assuming they knew he was at risk, what are the odds they recorded a little something, even audio, before his death that could used to make Black Panther 2 make sense.
    I very much doubt it. That'd be a bit odd.

"We know you might die, so can you record a little something so that our movies won't have an awkward plot hole if you pop it. We'll keep it in the back pocket."
  • davidfowles 8 Jun 2021 14:38:44 502 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    It'll be flogged to death now. They could have ended it brilliantly with Endgame and then have a disparate collection of films or series.

But it looks like they'll keep churning out 2-3 a year. They fucked Star Wars so they're desperate not to fuck this.
    Some major differences with Star Wars. For a start, the “they” is completely different. Star Wars doesn’t have a visionary like Fiege at the helm. Secondly, Marvel has 80 years of comics to draw on (Captain America debuted in 1941) and what, hundreds of characters and hundreds of thousands of stories to draw from? Star Wars has an idea about laser swords and basic magic and an obsession with about 7 characters. There’s some exploration of the scope of that universe, but it’s in books that were thrown out of canon. Star Wars has been horribly mismanaged well before Disney bought it, and perhaps even worse since.

Marvel may predictably “jump the Stark” and decline after Endgame, but I’d be surprised if they don’t continue making success movies. Just maybe not “highest grossing of all time” movies. They have so much to draw from that they could turn out new movie properties for years, until people are ready for a reboot with new actors. Hopefully Star Wars gets good management someday, but the IP is inherently flawed in my opinion, and will never stand up creatively or financially to Marvel’s output.
  • davidfowles 8 Jun 2021 14:41:58 502 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Derblington wrote:
    davidfowles wrote:

I very much doubt it. That'd be a bit odd.

"We know you might die, so can you record a little something so that our movies won't have an awkward plot hole if you pop it. We'll keep it in the back pocket."
    I was thinking more along the lines of “I know I might die, and I want us to do the best by the kids.” The devastated child fans of Black Panther was what really got to me about it, I mean they finally had a major black hero.

Anyway, it remains to be seen.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.