Marvel Cinematic Universe Page 118

• oldskooldeano 10 Jun 2021 10:25:29 3,446 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    What was the final consensus on Pigeon and The Man With The Incredible Arms? I watched the first one and didn't hate it but also just felt a bit bored.
    If you watch all of Blacktain America and the Whiny Soldier you wonít hate it but you will feel a bit bored. And the main villain is some of the worst miscasting Iíve seen in years. Zemo is the stand out character.
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2021 10:29:21 86,900 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tbh, you could probably get away with this fairly comprehensive recap:

https://youtu.be/avaSdC0QOUM?t=41

Edited by nickthegun at 10:39:51 10-06-2021
  • JamboWayOh 10 Jun 2021 12:18:17 24,302 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    What was the final consensus on Pigeon and The Man With The Incredible Arms? I watched the first one and didn't hate it but also just felt a bit bored.
    If you watch all of Blacktain America and the Whiny Soldier.
    How old are you?
  • Wayne 10 Jun 2021 12:23:38 3,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    If you watch all of Blacktain America and the Whiny Soldier you wonít hate it but you will feel a bit bored. And the main villain is some of the worst miscasting Iíve seen in years. Zemo is the stand out character.
    Tell me you're racist without telling me you're racist.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Jun 2021 16:43:35 5,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hope Loki gets better, I don't think it needed "last time on the avengers.." to go that long. I like the old style tech - a bit like Control
  • robthehermit 10 Jun 2021 17:03:39 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    I don't think it was boring, just very forgettable. In fact I had to google who the main villain was despite only watching the series a month or so ago.
  • oldskooldeano 10 Jun 2021 19:28:59 3,446 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You think Iím racist because I dare use the word black? Youíre a fool.
  • Anthony_UK 10 Jun 2021 19:52:42 3,079 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As an armchair marvel fan, who's seen all the movies but isn't hugely invested. I found Loki to be the first show/movie they've made in ages that's made me anticipate the next installment. The extended re-cap with world building I actually enjoyed, even if it did feel unusually similar to Umbrella Academy in its plot.

Falcon and Winter Soldier for me was woeful. A reluctant black captain america along with remorseful Nazi assassin, touching on themes such as displacement and racism, could have been special Instead they avoided any kind of depth or political commentary like the plague. Maybe if they allowed it to be a little more dark like the Netflix marvel shows it could have given it that extra weight it needed.

Anyway Loki was crackers and brilliant.
  • drhickman1983 10 Jun 2021 20:09:47 7,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    ...even if it did feel unusually similar to Umbrella Academy in its plot.
    To be fair, the TVA appeared in the comics in the mid '80s, about 20 years before the Umbrella Academy comics came out.
  • oldskooldeano 10 Jun 2021 20:37:29 3,446 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    To be fair, the TVA appeared in the comics in the mid '80s, about 20 years before the Umbrella Academy comics came out.
    Thatís exactly how it came across as too. One of those filler stories that appear in comics between epic multi issue storylines. You get two or three issues of some minor villain or weirdness before the next arc begins. And thatís just great by the way!
  • Ryze 10 Jun 2021 20:38:01 3,751 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago

Love the New Rockstars breakdowns:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yRILFFJ2QZCykymr8LPwA

Edited by Ryze at 20:41:07 10-06-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jun 2021 00:41:21 18,205 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I think the problem is no one remembers the 1980s TVA comics but Umbrella Academy was a big hit on tv like 5 minutes ago.
  • davidfowles 11 Jun 2021 04:17:35 474 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You think Iím racist because I dare use the word black? Youíre a fool.
    You donít feel that perhaps reducing a black character becoming Captain America to ďBlacktain AmericaĒ comes off as disrespectful and overly familiar?

Iíve personally got issues with how poorly Sam Wilsonís character has been developed in the MCU - until Falcon / Winter Soldier his origin story was ďhe jogs, the US military gave him a magic jet pack to use for no reasonĒ and one could argue that using the series to barely touch on his other obvious feature - his racial background - still isnít much in the way of character development, especially when you compare him to Steve Rogers or Black Panther, both of whom have complex back stories and relationships. Sam is Caps 2D sidekick.

It might be fair to criticise the series as overly basic on its ďitís Captain America - BUT BLACKĒ storyline, but I think itís a very valid point it makes in a country with recent tiki torch parades. But Sam Wilson overall feels very underserved from the writing across his appearances. I feel like heís just some guy. Maybe Iím expecting too much from my comics movies, but character development for all the white protagonists has been pretty great, considering.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jun 2021 04:54:06 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I look forward to the recasting of Blant Man and the... Blasp.
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Jun 2021 05:58:50 14,203 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WhY iSnT tHeRe A wHiTe PaNtHeR!?!?!?!??!!
  • Stuz359 11 Jun 2021 07:58:46 456 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    #All Panthers matter
  • Stuz359 11 Jun 2021 07:59:02 456 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Really enjoyed Loki though.
  • Not-a-reviewer 11 Jun 2021 08:05:18 7,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ďOverly familiarĒ :D
  • oldskooldeano 11 Jun 2021 08:29:35 3,446 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    All Iím going to say is I am mixed race myself so some pasty faced revolutionaries need to get off their pedestal. I used the term as a joke that highlights the reductive nature of his character and the story. Jesus, what a shower of pussies.
  • Decks 11 Jun 2021 08:33:01 30,271 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Username checks out.
  • Wayne 11 Jun 2021 08:41:56 3,626 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pasty faced?

Not exactly doing yourself any favours now, are you?
  • Not-a-reviewer 11 Jun 2021 08:51:23 7,430 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Theyíre not the words Iíd expect to be used by a professional critic.
  • Anthony_UK 11 Jun 2021 11:28:51 3,079 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I think the problem is no one remembers the 1980s TVA comics but Umbrella Academy was a big hit on tv like 5 minutes ago.
    Yeah, i've never touched the comics but fair enough. It didn't take away from how good it was, more with Loki being written potentially after the Umbrella Academy TV show launched, how similar it felt.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jun 2021 11:59:12 18,205 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And its not like Umbrella Academy arenít just essentially an emo X-Men knock-off anyway
  • JamboWayOh 11 Jun 2021 12:00:15 24,302 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jameela Jamil is the main bad guy in the She Hulk TV show. Don't particularly rate her tbh but I guess we'll see.
  • TechnoHippy 11 Jun 2021 13:13:25 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just watched the first Loki and it's caught my attention well enough. I do like Loki as a character though.
  • robthehermit 11 Jun 2021 16:36:13 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm pasty faced. I'm also pasty bellied. It used to be pies but then I moved to Cornwall.
  • robthehermit 11 Jun 2021 16:40:52 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago

When a vengeful computer scientist, Mackie Malone, begins shutting down various aspects and media outlets of black culture, it is up to determined hero, Blacktain America, and his partners to stop him before he shuts down the NBA 2K servers.
  • Load_2.0 13 Jun 2021 11:29:28 33,271 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Jameela Jamil is the main bad guy in the She Hulk TV show. Don't particularly rate her tbh but I guess we'll see.
    Really? I wouldn't have thought of her as a particularly athletic or sinister actor.
  • Load_2.0 13 Jun 2021 11:30:34 33,271 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is there a Loki thread or do we do our vitally important critical analysis here?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.