Liverpool vs Chelsea

    First Previous
  • lost_soul 3 May 2005 14:00:30 9,371 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonight.

    God this is going to be one tense match.

    /chews fingernails

    COME ON YOU REDS!
  • MikeD 3 May 2005 14:02:35 10,063 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Go chelsea!

    Robben Robben Robben!

    (he is actualy playign again, right? How many matches till his next injury? :-))
  • ssuellid 3 May 2005 14:02:41 19,141 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bit undecided on this one. I want Evertonians to have something to gloat about - finishing higher than Liverpool without there being any 'but's. But then I want Chelsea to win to help wind up the Man U fans.
  • Menace 3 May 2005 14:05:55 5,887 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hope all the Chelsea players and the manager especially dies in a horiffic traffic accident.. (ok, maybe not.. go Lpool.)

    /ManUtd fan leaves the thread thinking somthing like: next to own happiness other peoples misery is the best..
  • pistol 3 May 2005 14:06:44 13,018 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Bit undecided on this one. I want Evertonians to have something to gloat about - finishing higher than Liverpool without there being any 'but's. But then I want Chelsea to win to help wind up the Man U fans.

    I'm not a liverpool fan as such (was as a kid) but I'd like to see them beat Chelsea tonight. Only thing is, my gut tells me that if Chelsea win they've got a better chance of winning the whole thing, compared to Liverpool. Not that they will win it but you get my drift. I'm also going to Highbury on the 11th to see Arsenal play Everton. (Theire last game of the season).
  • MikeD 3 May 2005 14:07:37 10,063 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Menace wrote:
    /ManUtd fan leaves the thread thinking somthing like: next to own happiness other peoples misery is the best..

    Don't worry. Whoever wins will get beaten by PSV in the final!

    (Stop laughing there in the back. Don't think I didn't hear that!)
  • Miata 3 May 2005 14:15:30 229 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:

    What's all this business about Liverpool perhaps not being in next years champions league even if they win this year!


    You got it a bit wrong. The CL winner is guaranteed to participate next year and defend the title.

    There is another problem though: the number of teams of any given country participating in the CL is capped at 4 (to guarantee an even spread). The Premiership, being one of Europe's best competitions, already has 4 CL-tickets, so with Liverpool winning the CL and not being in the first 4 in the Premiership, theoretically 5 English teams are qualified for next year's CL. Because of the cap, Everton (or any other teams that ends 4th in the Premiership) can not go to the CL but to the UEFA Cup instead.

    It's been like this for at least five years. Zaragoza missed the CL because of this exact reason. I don't think UEFA is going to change the cap.

    Well, my bet is on Chelsea going through anyway, so this discussion will be irrelevant by tomorrow.
  • bloke 3 May 2005 14:21:38 1,490 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As a neutral, I'm just hoping for a great match.

    But Chelsea are more likely to win in the final - so on balance, best they go through, eh?
  • spazmo 3 May 2005 14:22:58 2,838 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd like to see Liverpool win, and then lose in the final. Perfick!
  • oceanmotion 3 May 2005 14:30:22 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Undecided myself. I would like Liverpool to get to the final but would rather have Chelsea because they would have a better chance of winning it.

    Also, AC Milan, luckiest cunts on the earth last week. Hope PSV stuff them tomorrow.
  • Stevas-mkII 3 May 2005 14:33:17 3,848 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is on poor man's telly, right?
  • Zoltar 3 May 2005 14:33:57 628 posts
    Registered 15 years ago
    Miata wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:

    What's all this business about Liverpool perhaps not being in next years champions league even if they win this year!


    You got it a bit wrong. The CL winner is guaranteed to participate next year and defend the title.


    No. That's wrong I think. The CL is not guaranteed entry AFAIK.
  • lost_soul 3 May 2005 14:36:40 9,371 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Zoltar wrote:
    Miata wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:

    What's all this business about Liverpool perhaps not being in next years champions league even if they win this year!


    You got it a bit wrong. The CL winner is guaranteed to participate next year and defend the title.


    No. That's wrong I think. The CL is not guaranteed entry AFAIK.
    Correct, though The head of UEFA was on the radio at the weekend suggesting the rule may be changed.
  • Miata 3 May 2005 14:38:43 229 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:

    Liverpool have a chance, it's what makes football great. I think if they believe and put their hearts into it, they'll win.
    They might, but I hope Chelsea makes the finals. Milan-Chelsea sounds like a great game to me: a match between the best two European teams at the moment. PSV and Liverpool don't fit that description for me.
  • MikeD 3 May 2005 14:39:50 10,063 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So the champion of the champion's league might not be in the leage that is designed for champions. However, the wealthy countries like England Spain and italy get 4 teams each, 3 of which are not champions.
  • Pinchy 3 May 2005 14:43:32 842 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm a neutral, if by 'neutral' you mean 'i hope liverpool win'. sadly, i predict a score draw (thanks to a deflected Lampard goal) and a happy Jose.
  • MikeD 3 May 2005 14:49:17 10,063 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wasp wrote:
    I'm all for this. Were Milan champions of Serie A last year? I hope they win the final.

    Come on, it's nonsense. Call it 'the really good teams league' then. Not champions.

    /realises PSV wasn't champion last year.

    hrrrm, Yeah, go these rules, go!
  • Miata 3 May 2005 14:50:09 229 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zoltar wrote:

    No. That's wrong I think. The CL is not guaranteed entry AFAIK.

    Well, it depends on what you call "guaranteed". If you look at Article 1.03 of the Champions League regulations the current situation has been anticipated: UEFA will give CL winners an entry if they don't qualify through their national competitions, but the cap of 4 teams has to be maintained.

    The same happened in 2000: Madrid won the CL, but didn't get into Spanish top 4 (Barcelona, Deportivo, Valencia and Zaragoza held those places). Real was allowed to defend their title, but Zaragoza had to settle for the UEFA Cup as a pay-off.


    Edited by Miata at 14:51:13 03-05-2005
  • renzo 3 May 2005 14:53:27 3,195 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm neutral...ish. I'd prefer it if Liverpool went through because of the way Mourinho seems to whinge and moan about how things don't go their way. And those accusations against Frisk and Rijkaard were extremely childish.

    Oh wait, I already predicted Chelsea to win it. At least if they prove me wrong I won't be too mad about it. :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 May 2005 15:05:08 32,338 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Miata wrote:
    Zoltar wrote:

    No. That's wrong I think. The CL is not guaranteed entry AFAIK.

    Well, it depends on what you call "guaranteed". If you look at Article 1.03 of the Champions League regulations the current situation has been anticipated: UEFA will give CL winners an entry if they don't qualify through their national competitions, but the cap of 4 teams has to be maintained.

    The same happened in 2000: Madrid won the CL, but didn't get into Spanish top 4 (Barcelona, Deportivo, Valencia and Zaragoza held those places). Real was allowed to defend their title, but Zaragoza had to settle for the UEFA Cup as a pay-off.


    Edited by Miata at 14:51:13 03-05-2005

    From what I could tell from discussions I saw at the weekend, Fifa are intervening on this matter. Basically as it stands, since it was decided that the World Cup winners were not guarenteed a spot in the next World Cup, in no other competition are the winners guarenteed a spot in next cometition. Therefore FIFA have said that Liverpool should not be in the CL if they win it and do not finish in the top 4.
  • MikeD 3 May 2005 15:08:00 10,063 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Basically as it stands, since it was decided that the World Cup winners were not guarenteed a spot in the next World Cup, in no other competition are the winners guarenteed a spot in next cometition.

    Hyperactive monkeys could run these origanisations better. What does the bloody CL have to do with the world cup.......
  • marilena 3 May 2005 15:10:06 8,237 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    Hyperactive monkeys could run these origanisations better.


    /prepares CV
  • Sid-Nice 3 May 2005 15:16:21 15,848 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd like Liverpool to go on and win the cup and Everton to take the 4th place Champions League spot, just to see what the FA will do about who goes into next years competition. Also I'd like to see Josť Mourinho's face when Chelsea lose.
  • Kay 3 May 2005 15:25:30 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The way I see it, the winner of a particular competition must always be given an automatic spot in the next season, thus alowing them to defend their title. The new World Cup rule is just stupid. If Liverpool win the CL, they should be in it next year (although I'd feel sorry for Everton, as this is probably the only chance they'll ever get to get in the CL).

    Also, if you look at the past ten seasons you'll find that most (if not all) of the teams that won the CL were not champions of their league the previous year.
  • Kay 3 May 2005 15:42:45 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's like saying that Sunderland will not be able to defend their title because they have been promoted to the Premiership.

    Anyway, I think that most people stopped caring about the UEFA Cup a long time ago.
  • morriss 3 May 2005 15:46:07 71,293 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kay wrote:

    Anyway, I think that most people stopped caring about the UEFA Cup a long time ago.

    As a Spurs fan, desperately trying to get into Europe, I have mixed feelings about that. I know the focus on the UEFA Cup is minimal, it's still extra revenue and publicity. It also does attract another tier of talent.
  • Gurgy 3 May 2005 15:58:33 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    As teams in red go I've always had a soft spot for Liverpool, but tonight they can go suck a scouse lozenge, come on you Chels!

    Who gave that muppet mod status !

    The mighty reds will do us proud.

    Look out for me on the telly, I'll be wearing a Liverpool shirt, a red scarf and shouting like a loon. Should be easy to spot.

    Was clutching my 4 tickets last night whilst watching ebay prices go mad.
  • Obscured 3 May 2005 19:50:50 1,187 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just hope it will be a better match than last week, what a borefest that was.

    And a goal, that's better;)
  • Whizzo 3 May 2005 19:51:55 44,793 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    GET IN!!
  • lost-soul 3 May 2005 19:54:46 435 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    GET IN!!
    Indeed!
  • First Previous
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.