Following The Expanse Page 2

• Tonka 11 Jan 2016 18:18:02 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    William Gibson was praising this on twitter.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2016 18:22:28
    No surprise, the books are great fun with a (light) touch of The Martian type realism to the space-faring.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jan 2016 03:30:22 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A friend of mine recommended this to me and I am loving the ever-loving SHIT out of it. :D
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2016 06:19:51 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    4/5ths into the second book and I can see that the TV show deviates enough from the source material to warrant a watch.

The books are great.

Launches into book wankery:

Thundercats single-origin coffee lomo keytar. Banjo food truck forage meditation salvia gochujang kickstarter. Sartorial viral pour-over sriracha gochujang, drinking vinegar mixtape pop-up chambray small batch gastropub banh mi. Shoreditch cornhole cliche, wayfarers offal hashtag pork belly. Quinoa cardigan meh aesthetic four dollar toast. Flannel kickstarter freegan tofu meggings, vinyl heirloom chicharrones. Hammock green juice occupy shabby chic.

Street art keytar 90's beard master cleanse cronut whatever salvia trust fund, chambray plaid four dollar toast PBR&B skateboard. Paleo salvia art party, hammock cornhole YOLO hella man bun. Whatever shoreditch cornhole literally green juice 3 wolf moon waistcoat, single-origin coffee street art letterpress pinterest everyday carry. Migas fanny pack ennui, literally you probably haven't heard of them cliche 8-bit brunch kickstarter disrupt skateboard authentic. Hammock DIY small batch literally, skateboard listicle tilde. Pug gastropub bicycle rights, portland butcher whatever fingerstache godard heirloom. Biodiesel ennui VHS, pitchfork polaroid fap health goth.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jan 2016 08:24:18 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh man, fuck you Tonka. I read that and now you you've spoiled the plotz on me! D:
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 21 Jan 2016 11:24:58 32,231 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ban request please. Some really top-grade spoilage there way ahead of even US pace. Typical book-related TV show ruining. If only you could be more be ubiquitous, medacious and polyglottal with your posts, Tonka ;)

I didn't even realise until reading others thoughts online that the spy they find was the guy that did Adam Jensen's voice in Deus Ex HR. He even hacks a panel! If only he'd specced in Typhoon, he'd have had no problem with Amos.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jan 2016 11:36:27 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I haven't read the books, so I'm allowed to ask this question. Is there some alien shit going on here? Or is it just deep political intrigue with humans, secret organisations, or just some group that has super high tech. I'm good either way. I'm loving the characters, and this show seems really high budget.

I think it's too soon to put it up there with Firefly and Battlestar, but it's defo headin' in the right direction.
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2016 12:20:41 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Having read books 1 & 2 and talked to a friend who've read all books and seen the show I can say that as far as season 1 is concerned there

it's a bit of both but that you could basically remove the alien stuff as it's only an indirect influence. Heavy focus on the "deep political ..."
  • frightlever 21 Jan 2016 13:11:32 1,450 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This thread is going to be getting some pretty strange visitors.
  • DarmokJalad 21 Jan 2016 14:26:59 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry It's basically an origin story, albeit in a different universe for

MEGA SPOILER
    Something similar to The Borg

Edited by Razz at 14:27:56 21-01-2016
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 Jan 2016 15:41:02 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are the books well written? Worth a read?

Also, is this Jim fella special, or more of just a dude tryin' to do the right thing who tends to find himself in the middle of shit?
  • Immaterial 21 Jan 2016 16:22:32 2,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The books are pretty good grimey sci-fi, with a pretty consistent and coherent social backdrop. The TV series and the books (only finished the first one so far) have enough sub-plot differences to keep both interesting.
    Also,
    Donkeyballs.
  • Rodpad 21 Jan 2016 16:34:39 2,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Book wankery kills this thread dead.
  • frightlever 21 Jan 2016 16:47:57 1,450 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    @Telepathic.Geometry It's basically an origin story
    There are three episodes left, so yeah, end of season is going to be a cliff-hanger to set up season 2, I guess. There's just not enough time to deal with the the events in the first book, although I guess they're rolling the first couple together.

Trouble is the show started off strong but these middle episodes haven't really lived up to the explosive first couple of episodes. I'm still enjoying it though.
  • DarmokJalad 21 Jan 2016 21:59:49 63,700 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm really impressed with how they show the coriolis effect on Ceres station. Especially the the ways liquids pour on different levels of depth. Brilliant moment when Miller was in the posh upper levels, near surface of Ceres (so higher gravity) and he spilled the water when trying to pour it.

As a fan of star trek, I thought I'd miss technobabble, as they don't tend to explain how things work in The Expanse. But I've grown to love it a lot, it leaves more to the imagination. One particular moment was during the interrogation scenes on The Donnagher. Lopez takes these er... spaces pills, they are never explained. Did they increase his IQ? Did they give him psychic powers? Or was he just fucking with them?

The phones and tablet devices are really cool, also mostly unexplained, they just use them naturally and I find that pulls you into the show more. I love that Millers one is cracked.

Edited by Razz at 22:00:39 21-01-2016
  • Ra_ra_rasputin 21 Jan 2016 22:18:28 332 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Am loving the books at the moment, just on to book 4. Was really excited a couple of weeks ago when I realised they had made a series of it (with the original writers) and then found out that its US only... fuckin boo....
  • twelveways 23 Jan 2016 04:13:22 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    3 episodes in and I'm really enjoying this. The Martians are cool.
  • twelveways 28 Jan 2016 07:00:00 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still loving this, possibly the best sci-fi series I have ever seen.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2016 09:38:47 32,231 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It really is a fairly strong show. It feels like proper sci-fi, which is something that is rather lacking on TV nowadays. It also feels really well made with a great cast, great effects and a good story that is really galloping along without feeling rushed.

In the last episode I loved Amos, on first seeing the hidden Anubis, suggesting in the most casual tone in the world that they should blast it. No thought process needed :)

It was also great to see Miller turn up in the shootout and finally meet the Rocinante crew as they finally find Julie. I'm glad I didn't read book spoilers for the events of the most recent episode, I was genuinely shocked.

I really, really hope this gets a second season. I think it must be close to the end of the first now and I don't want it to end so soon!

Edited by DFawkes at 11:34:19 28-01-2016
  • arty 28 Jan 2016 09:58:14 582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I (wrongly) assumed that by 'last episode' you meant 7, not 8. Thankfully I only read the first spoiler.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2016 10:13:52
    I've found episodes 6/7/8 to have the best dialogue and pacing yet, fleshing out the characters and the universe they live in all while setting up a finale that should be EPIC. The season could of done with an extra episode to tell all the story of episodes 1-5 in a little less of a rush.
  • Tonka 28 Jan 2016 12:47:57 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I really, really hope this gets a second season. I think it must be close to the end of the first now and I don't want it to end so soon!
    It's cleared for a second season.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-syfy-1201670368/
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jan 2016 12:53:11 17,962 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is it ever coming over here so I don't have to YARR it
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 28 Jan 2016 13:24:25 32,231 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    It's cleared for a second season.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-syfy-1201670368/
    \o/ Fantastic news, thanks for sharing :) Longer season as well so it's all good news.
  • twelveways 29 Jan 2016 06:12:34 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, alien or bioweapon?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 29 Jan 2016 07:02:55 12,422 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Personally, I don't think that it's an alien per se, but probably it's like an alien virus, or some rampant set of alien cells that reacts and bonds itself to shit. I still don't know what's going on right now, which I love by the way, but my guess is that on Phoebe (is that right?) station they found some alien tech/cells/energy source, and using that they were able to develop superior tech, and maybe some medicines or drugs or some shit.
  • twelveways 29 Jan 2016 07:07:16 7,131 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I love the fact that you actually have to think about stuff in this, it isn't all spoon fed to the viewer.

I also love the Mormon generation ship side story, curious as to how that will tie in with the main plot, or even if it will.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.