Following The Expanse Page 3

• Tonka 29 Jan 2016 07:38:46 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Is it ever coming over here so I don't have to YARR it
    Did you see the pilot? It's officially released on YouTube so you can watch and still feel good about it.

Edited by Tonka at 07:42:14 29-01-2016
  • technotica 29 Jan 2016 09:35:13 612 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like the show, lots better than Killjoys and Dark Matter certainly.
  • Scurrminator 29 Jan 2016 12:00:55 9,042 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decided to give this a go and it's pretty great! BSG feel but a lot more going on.
    How many episodes is season one?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 29 Jan 2016 12:04:56 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Season 1 is 10, but season 2 is more than that apparently? Can't wait, this a solid fucking show.
  • President_Weasel 30 Jan 2016 23:47:07 12,355 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    the Expanse is really good! I was surprised that Sy Fy a) are actually making some sci fi, and b) are making such an excellent job of it.
    I've watched 8 episodes in 3 days and now I am sad because I have to wait for more to come out. Might go read the books again.
  • HoriZon 31 Jan 2016 11:23:22 14,211 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the best new shows on TV love it! :)
  • shamblemonkee 31 Jan 2016 13:16:11 17,962 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So hard not to splooge book wank everywhere... :)
  • Scurrminator 1 Feb 2016 23:48:00 9,042 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Totally caught up. Last two are on tomorrow night US side. Absolutely fantastic stuff.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Feb 2016 01:26:05 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What!? Both of them?
  • Tonka 2 Feb 2016 06:47:52 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's such a joy to see some real space scifi stuff get attention. The Martian, Star Wars and now this. I'm getting fed up with the attractive teenagers in a dystopian death game genre that seems to dominate fantastic films at the moment.

If they only made some proper post apoc stuff like The Road.

Anyhow, things are looking up. I really hope we'll see more space opera and hard-sci fi on TV and at the cinema.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2016 09:36:51
    @shamblemonkee i'm pretty sure there's a book thread that i've posted in, you could spooge in that, anyone getting spoilers would only have their selves to blame :)
  • Deleted user 2 February 2016 09:38:57
    @Telepathic.Geometry by tonight he means Tuesday night and I believe it is a double bill :)
  • Cappy 2 Feb 2016 10:30:12 14,046 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got up to the eighth episode so certain elements have held my interest but by this point it's clear that the writing is starting to fall apart.

What were written as characters serving on a non-military ship are suddenly beating a 'black ops' team that outnumbered them and had the massive advantage of being informed of their location so they could be surrounded and they sustained zero casualties.

Maybe one or two of them had some basic training but it's a stretch, and what exactly did Amos do anyway? He was a gay space marine on a ship that didn't need gay space marines for anything, their ship couldn't and wouldn't fight. So our plucky band comprise of an engineer, pilot, second officer… And gay space marine.

It's terribly sloppy writing to try and remould characters so drastically and think nobody is going to notice.

Edited by Cappy at 10:30:47 02-02-2016
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 2 Feb 2016 11:02:18 32,222 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've found the writing has been pretty much excellent throughout, especially in the smaller character moments where it's key to knowing who these people are. It has for the most part been reasonably well paced with it never really lagging that much even at times I'd usual feel little was happening.

My main concern early on was with Millar, who felt a bit to inconsistent for me, but as time has went by he feels consistently inconsistent :p I liked Amos from the word go and I assume he has backstory we're not privy to yet (no, book people, I'm not asking for it!) that might explain why he might be so trigger happy on occasion.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Feb 2016 11:56:13 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @El_MUERkO Sweet as! Cheers fella.
  • frightlever 2 Feb 2016 19:12:13 1,425 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy Amos is an engineer, but whereas Naomi is more technical, he's more of a space spanner kind of guy. His background is basically shady, and he ran with a gang before becoming a spacer. I read about four books and seen every episode and have no memory of him being gay, but maybe he is and it never registered. I know he turned down the male hooker in that club.

In the books and on the TV show, both Holden and Alex are ex-military, having served with the Earth and Martian space navies respectively, but that scene, or one like it, still bothered me in the books as well. However, the stories you see are the ones about the guys who are really talented or really lucky. The average guys who got gunned down by marines - no-one is telling their stories.

Edited by frightlever at 19:14:33 02-02-2016
  • Deleted user 2 February 2016 19:24:53
    @Cappy Amos was a workhorse on the Cant, fixing what needed fixing, doing the EV work, he could handle himself in a fight because he grew up on the streets and in gangs, he's not a space marine, his sexuality is unclear. Holden is ex earth military, Alex is ex mars military, Naomi is an unknown quantity. They all knew which end of a gun goes where but they were getting shot to shit by the black-ops until Millar (a veteran police officer from a rough place who has killed before) blindsided them. They got lucky.

[edit] i was writing this reply but had to go afk, i see others think the same

Edited by El_MUERkO at 19:25:47 02-02-2016
  • frightlever 2 Feb 2016 19:37:59 1,425 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    [edit] i was writing this reply but had to go afk, i see others think the same
    I do that all the time, sometimes by the time I hit "post" literally several new pages of comments have appeared.
  • President_Weasel 2 Feb 2016 20:19:44 12,355 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What the fuck, Cappy. Does being gay in your worldview equate to being not tough and scary? Why do you go on about his (sketchily evidenced if at all) sexuality as though it has some bearing on his ability to fight?
  • Cappy 2 Feb 2016 20:33:00 14,046 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sloppy writing is a much simpler explanation.

Is the prefix gay always going with space marine out of fashion now? I hadn't really considered that Amos might actually be gay, though that scene at the bar where he pinged somebody's gaydar might possibly support that interpretation.

I haven't read the books so I'd have to treat them as a separate entity. I wouldn't trust the version of Amos in the TV series to pump up a flat bicycle tyre, let alone maintain machinery that's essential to keeping a crew alive.

I don't buy a pilot and an ex-naval officer being a match for a black ops team. I'm sure they had some basic training but they're not frontline troops, especially not a pilot, you'd be keeping him out of harms way because much like a naval officer. They've had years of training invested into them, they'd both be learning about ship operations and the complexities of navigation in space rather than running around with an assault rifle stepping through tyres and jumping walls.

If somebody at the top of the political tree wants you removed, they're not going to send operatives who are doing this as a side job when they're not chasing down shoplifters at Primark. They would be 99.9% reliable when it comes to removing people because they've had a lot of practice to get to point where they are trusted. A third party coming up behind them and shooting them in the back shouldn't be happening.

The black ops team have been written as ridiculously incompetent, or the Canterbury crew have been written as ridiculously proficient, probably both.
  • frightlever 2 Feb 2016 22:35:34 1,425 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy So you'd have preferred if the show ended with episode 8 and all the heroes killed by a black ops squad? Perhaps they could have simply avoided any confrontation, sold the Martian ship and opened a travel agency. Episode 9 could have had all the drama of having to refund several hundred tickets because a space station got eaten by an alien nano-virus.

I get that you can pick plot holes in something but when that's the only way you can get any entertainment from a show, maybe it's just not for you and you should simply accept that and move on. It doesn't strike me as the sort of show you can hate-watch (see: Beowulf).
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Feb 2016 05:57:23 12,422 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am hyper-sensitive to shit not making sense, or breaking the suspension of disbelief, but episode 8 did not have that problem.

You have two ex-military dudes, and an animal like Amos who doesn't have the training maybe, but has a really sharp eye for picking up on details (as shown in episode 6), he's not afraid of a fight (as shown in episode 7), and he's generally handy in a fight.

The black ops team probably thought they hadn't been spotted when Amos killed one, and from then on, Amos and Holden were keeping it together but still shitting themselves, Naomi was panicking, and the black ops guys were just about to clean house when a hard-bastard detective with years of experience in a shit-hole like Ceres station sucker punches the first guy and kills the second.

Bottom line, that black ops team would have killed them all any other day of the week, and and if there hadn't been that military training, and the good guys generally just being resourceful and light on their feet, they wouldn't have even killed one. I'm sure that they're used to bagging and tagging civilians most of the time.

Can't wait to watch the finale tonight! ^-^
  • Immaterial 3 Feb 2016 10:23:45 2,294 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bookwanker alert:
    Much more emphasis was given to Miller's surprise flanking appearance, and the fact that the Rocinante crew spotted and tripped the trap about 30 seconds too early for the baddies to win, rather than what appeared to be a bullet-proof sofa for Alex to hide behind.

Still, it's a silly scene, and I guess is only there so that Miller and Holden can meet in suitably dramatic circumstances.
  • frightlever 3 Feb 2016 13:25:38 1,425 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    Still, it's a silly scene, and I guess is only there so that Miller and Holden can meet in suitably dramatic circumstances.
    Yeah, basically it served no purpose except to provide a bit of drama before the end of the episode. It's classic writing, not even classic TV writing, just classic episodic writing since before Charles Dickens was being serialised in the newspapers. It's the boom-reveal, before the credits role that week.

So, watched the finale. I see it's already picked up for a second season. I do not envy the task of the guy who has to watch the budget, because it is going to kick off next season.

Not often a TV series lives up to the book, or comic. Daredevil managed it and the Expanse has as well, IMO.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2016 14:10:16
    Just watched the final two episodes and the show continues to improve and excel, the guy who plays Amos just sold me completely on the character as well, nailed it, and in doing so plays one of the most interesting characters on TV.

Roll on Season Two!!!

Intentionally spoiler free post, will wait till everyone has caught up to discuss some of the finer points like GOT YA!!!

Edited by El_MUERkO at 14:11:24 03-02-2016
  • Cappy 3 Feb 2016 14:20:03 14,046 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    frightlever wrote:
    I get that you can pick plot holes in something but when that's the only way you can get any entertainment from a show, maybe it's just not for you and you should simply accept that and move on. It doesn't strike me as the sort of show you can hate-watch (see: Beowulf).
    That's a non-argument and a particularly unoriginal one at that. Practically nobody wastes their time watching things they don't like with the specific aim of not liking it. Furthermore at no point have I said anything that would even remotely suggest that's my aim.

My complaint is that poor writing has destroyed suspension of disbelief, I never set out looking for string above the puppet's heads, it was just there plain as day, thick as a car tow rope.

Putting aside all the prior discussion of the shoot-out scene, I hadn't even bothered highlighting the final absurdity of the scene, the cavalry arrives in the form of Miller and he somehow has enough of a grasp of the situation to gun down two people in a room full of complete strangers without even a second to think about it.

Miller! Why did you make a snap decision to murder those two people without giving them a chance to surrender?

It was a hunch! I'm a cop right? We have really, really good hunches. Never wrong. No sir!

Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I am hyper-sensitive to shit not making sense, or breaking the suspension of disbelief, but episode 8 did not have that problem.
    Come on, we've been members for how long? About fifteen years.

Let's just say you're prone to a bit of internalised reality adjustment which causes you to blind yourself to blatantly obvious flaws when you like something.

I watched eight episodes and I'll watch the finale, my interest has just been diminished somewhat by the writing.

There are a thousand, thousand ways that scenario could have played out and they wrote one of the versions on the iffy end of the spectrum.

Edited by Cappy at 14:23:34 03-02-2016
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 3 Feb 2016 14:29:50 32,222 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a shame you're not enjoying it Cappy, and you're not alone. I read a few other reviews where they didn't enjoy how the show flowed, though more so early on when it wasn't clear where the overall story was going.

I personally love it though, so I'm still very much looking forward to watching the last couple from season 1 tonight, then of course there's the big wait until season 2 :)
  • twelveways 3 Feb 2016 14:40:48 7,131 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched 9, kind of sad knowing it's going to end soon; I have been so sucked into the universe and really want to learn more.

I'm hoping the second season shows us more of Mars. A prequel would be cool, showing how they seceded from Earth. Is that covered in the books?
  • frightlever 3 Feb 2016 23:19:05 1,425 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    frightlever wrote:
    That's a non-argument and a particularly unoriginal one at that. Practically nobody wastes their time watching things they don't like with the specific aim of not liking it. Furthermore at no point have I said anything that would even remotely suggest that's my aim.
    It just seemed that if you liked it you'd be able to make a more nuanced argument about the parts you didn't like. You're broadly criticising the writing for failing to engage you, while making fundamental mistakes about the characters, which would suggest you're just not paying attention.
  • Scurrminator 4 Feb 2016 00:30:48 9,042 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wow that was a great ending. Seems like it might get crazy next year. Had a browse of some brief synopsis for the other books and it sounds like full on mass effect awesomeness.

Hope the show gets the run it needs and deserves to tell the whole story. No more until Jan 2017 now :-(

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.