Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 963

• Anthony_UK 13 Jun 2018 12:53:11 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While I don't think Kim Jong is a lovely chap, I can't help but think that alot of what we hear about North Korea is propaganda. After the lies we were told about WMD's and Iraq, I don't think there would be any limits to what we'd he told about a relatively stable communist state with weapons powerful enough to defend itself.

Reading about how their capital city is all theatre and not real, how relations or generals are executed by AA gun.. My be niave on my part, but I doubt pretty much all of it. Kim does seem quite intelligent and articulate, while I'm not mistaking that for sanity.. I just don't by into the whole NK is evil line we're fed.
  • nudistpete 13 Jun 2018 12:57:24 397 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Reading about how their capital city is all theatre and not real, how relations or generals are executed by AA gun.. My be niave on my part, but I doubt pretty much all of it.
    While you're right to doubt, as someone who loves reading about North Korea the "capital is all theatre" thing does seem to have legs. There are a few travelogues where people on guided tours have noticed the same people in the same suits at different places they've been chaperoned to, and I read one where they said escalators on the Metro were switched off pretty much as their backs were turned.

Edited by nudistpete at 12:59:28 13-06-2018
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Jun 2018 13:05:47 4,013 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Let’s not use a singular instance where the USA screwed the pooch, to get all conspiracy theorist and start doubting everything.

There’s plenty of North Korean escapees corroborating accounts, they’re hiding their country from the rest of the world probably for a reason, these dynastic dictators have a reputation for not being nice and their need for an outside food supply and therefore the famines are real.

Besides, rumours that things might not be so bad play into the hands of the orange twat. With trump ieager to sign away everything, now is doubly the time to expect the worst.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2018 13:07:01 18,234 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry, but I've read more than enough accounts from defectors and the like, to have sufficient evidence that many of the stories about NK are true. It's not a nice place.
  • thelzdking 13 Jun 2018 13:21:34 8,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From what I've read a lot of the stuff about NK society is supposedly pretty accurate. Apparently it's got better under Kim Jong-un, but it's still rough-as-fuck. Apparently Pyongyang as well does now have a sort of emerging middle class that do actually use the shops and restaurants, but it is still largely theatre.

When the NK government is depicted as being a bunch of war-mongering loons though, that's a bit stupid. NK do the same thing over and over again: brinksmanship until the world offers them stuff to stop. Rinse and repeat.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2018 13:25:55 18,234 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They're not idiots. They want nukes because they think that they'll get invaded and thrown from power without them. I don't know how you achieve complete disarmament when they see nuclear weapons as crucial to their safety, but I guess we'll see if it's anything more than just a fantasy.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Jun 2018 13:34:33 3,485 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1006866982833131520

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
    More
    Oil prices are too high, OPEC is at it again. Not good!

4:52 AM - 13 Jun 2018
    No shit dumbass you handed this to them on a platter when you withdrew from the Iran deal
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 13:35:51 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/dennis-hof-nevada-republican-candidate-state-seat-win-pimp-trump-a8396636.html

Owner of Nevada brothel franchise running for Congress.

Maybe this is what Moses was warning about when he said do not worship false idols.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Jun 2018 13:44:39 4,013 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only reasonable way to get rid of the NK regime now is revolution from within. Nukes are for outside threats, not people protesting in the streets.

It's why I agree with some of the proponents of peace talks in these forums. The quicker NK opens up and joins the rest of the world, the faster the people of North Korea have a chance to realize their circumstance relative to the rest of their world and might feel the urge to self-determination away from the Un dynasty.

It just hurts me to know It Trump's doing, and in the way he went about it.

I'm also very much concerned North Korea will become the younger sibling to Russia and China and their successful petri-dish in how to run a stable autocracy in the 21st century. The country is pretty much a clean slate and perfect for building up the kind of media infrastructure that makes dictatorships viable for the next couple of centuries.

We might have a real problem on our hands over in that corner of the globe. It's not communism that will spread, but a suave cadre of dictatorships with an amount of control over their people that might seem enticing to others.
    If the USA can get away with having a unabashed would-be dictator in control, then clearly Western Democracy is far more fragile than we thought.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 13:49:32 13-06-2018
  • nudistpete 13 Jun 2018 13:56:13 397 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    Besides, rumours that things might not be so bad play into the hands of the orange twat.
    One thing we do have evidence for is that life is getting better for the average North Korean, access to markets, foods and imported good from China are as buoyant as they've ever been, even the black market price of staples like rice have remained steady for a while if you are to believe a respected observer like NKEconWatch (fascinating website, btw. Also recommend North Korea Tech :-))

Of course that doesn't mean that the constant surveillance or punishment for three generations of your family for disrespecting the leader has gone away, all it means is that for the average NK family things aren't as bad as they have been historically.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2018 14:01:41 18,234 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I suppose anything would seem rosy when over 3 million of your people died in a fucking famine 20 years ago.
  • captain-Snufkin 13 Jun 2018 14:12:35 412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    And everyone's still skelatal, you can hardly fake that.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:19:33 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    But don't they look fabulous darling!
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Jun 2018 14:43:22 4,013 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    But don't they look fabulous darling!
    Alongside Trump's encouragement of a North Korean hospitality industry on those beautiful beaches, Calvin Klein and the Fashion industry would have no trouble finding models there. The dresses and nikes are made just across the border in the finest sweatshops on earth.

It'll be a land of Trump Hotels and Haute Couture.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:46:06 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Do you know what the difference between Nike and Vivienne Westwood is?

Nike actually pay people to make their clothes.

Boom boom.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Jun 2018 16:57:12 13,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently Trump showed Kim this video, before it was shown to journalists present at the summit who were reportedly puzzled. Trump thinks it was great.

• reddevil93 13 Jun 2018 17:24:31 14,575 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reports that Cohen has dropped his attorneys and is going to co-operate with investigators. Should leave Trump all sorts of fucked.
  • Tonka 13 Jun 2018 18:14:32 28,058 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago

Nike pay people to wear their clothes.

Boom boom.
    ftfy
  • Not-a-reviewer 13 Jun 2018 18:26:50 5,216 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NK have promised more regarding disarmament before. Trump achieved virtually nothing other than making several concessions.
  • melonfarmer 13 Jun 2018 20:58:41 468 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    NK have promised more regarding disarmament before. Trump achieved virtually nothing other than making several concessions.
    Awww upset are we that trump might have struck a deal to denuclearise the Korean peninsula. Maybe he can get the Nobel peace prize for doing something other than droning people like Obama.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Jun 2018 21:00:54 4,013 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    melonfarmer wrote:
    might have
    Edited by Skirlasvoud at 21:01:07 13-06-2018
  • Tonka 13 Jun 2018 21:07:42 28,058 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not even the trolls trust him.
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Jun 2018 21:28:18 7,249 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    melonfarmer wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Awww upset are we that trump might have struck a deal to denuclearise the Korean peninsula. Maybe he can get the Nobel peace prize for doing something other than droning people like Obama.
    You're pretty adept at droning too.
  • Kronos 13 Jun 2018 21:28:52 719 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If NK so committed to peace or whatever why didn't Kim give some kind of speech to that effect or say anything at all to the watching world.
  • Not-a-reviewer 13 Jun 2018 22:10:47 5,216 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    melonfarmer wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Not in the slightest, he hasn’t stuck a deal to do that though and no, Obama shouldn’t have got the Nobel which he says himself.
  • Tonka 14 Jun 2018 08:11:54 28,058 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think that trailer is genius. My prejudiced view of Kim and Trump is that that's exactly their kind of thing. Big words, big pictures, trailer length.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 14 Jun 2018 09:37:41 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tonka wrote:

Boom boom.
    ftfy
    Not sure what you are getting out but Vivienne Westwood is notorious for taking on interns for six month terms with no pay.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jun 2018 09:39:49 8,758 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Boom boom.
    ftfy
    Not sure what you are getting out but Vivienne Westwood is notorious for taking on interns for six month terms with no pay.
    Tbf that's pretty much standard with most fashion houses.
  • Tonka 14 Jun 2018 10:04:32 28,058 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was making fun of Nike paying athletes a lot of money to endorse their clothes.
    But I guess Vivienne probably gives away free dresses for the oscars etc
  • henry012 14 Jun 2018 10:07:27 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Republican Presidential nominee Donald Trump still looks quite orange, except for maybe the paler areas around his eyes.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.