Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1025

• Load_2.0 6 Sep 2018 12:32:43 28,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks.
  • RyanDS 6 Sep 2018 12:36:15 12,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair I don’t see how he can answer that, not without a list of names. There are hundreds of people there.

A fair question would be “did you knowingly speak to....”

It just sounds like a gotcha question otherwise.
  • Duffking 6 Sep 2018 12:40:04 15,896 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's what we call Brasklapp in Swedish. A chickenshit disclaimer to keep your back safe in case things turn sour.

I think the Pence theory holds water. He's being both "Trump is such a dick!" and "OMG millions to the rich!" at the same time. Perfect for when Murdoch decides Trump is too much of a nuisance and have him killed.
    The Pence theory comes from the use of the word lodestar, which basically nobody else in the entire administration has used ever, but Pence uses regularly.
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2018 12:42:25 75,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Strength of the bear, speed of the poomah
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2018 12:55:29 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    To be fair I don’t see how he can answer that, not without a list of names. There are hundreds of people there.

A fair question would be “did you knowingly speak to....”

It just sounds like a gotcha question otherwise.
    The way he tried not to answer the question made it perfectly clear that he knows full well that he has spoken to someone at the firm. And now he knows that others know.

Son he'll close a deal with the investigation.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2018 12:58:07 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Strength of the bear, speed of the poomah
    This guy gets it
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Sep 2018 13:00:52 8,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not a poomah.
  • monkman76 6 Sep 2018 13:04:17 13,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    It's what we call Brasklapp in Swedish. A chickenshit disclaimer to keep your back safe in case things turn sour.

I think the Pence theory holds water. He's being both "Trump is such a dick!" and "OMG millions to the rich!" at the same time. Perfect for when Murdoch decides Trump is too much of a nuisance and have him killed.
    The Pence theory comes from the use of the word lodestar, which basically nobody else in the entire administration has used
    ever, but Pence uses regularly.
    Would be an obvious word to use if you wanted people to think it was Pence, then.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2018 13:15:01 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's probably Ivanka
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Sep 2018 13:17:55 8,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When the Scooby gang finally catch and unmask him.

Obama would've got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 13:18:15 06-09-2018
  • DrStrangelove 6 Sep 2018 15:51:28 13,284 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trump wants to let you know he's still got friends

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1037656324010663937
  • Technoishmatt 6 Sep 2018 15:55:26 2,935 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On Lodestar - If pence uses it a lot, then somebody working (closely) with or for him might have picked it up.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Sep 2018 15:56:53 13,958 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood

If there were ways to restrict the powers of the President it will just be used by the opposition to undermine the President. Imagine the Republicans having a veto to everything Obama proposed. (Even before they won the second house).

The responsibility has to remain with the parties to propose honest people and for the voters to vote for them.

In the last US Presidental election there were question marks over both candidates. Some people will have voted for Trump because they thought Hilary was the corrupt one. The way around this as far as I can see is a “None of the Above” option on the ballet paper. And if None of the Above wins all parties need to nominate new candidates.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Sep 2018 16:01:11 13,958 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's probably Ivanka
    Based on other members of her family I doubt she is literate enough to write a memo of that quality.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2018 16:22:38 3,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @PazJohnMitch that's nuts and will cause chaos and huge costs. A run for presidency is ruinously expensive. That in itself might be worth investigating I guess.

Re the autonomy, pretty much your veto concerns already happens, even with executive orders. It's a bit more of a fundamental review in terms of how the house interacts with the President and how governance is done. I.E. not via Twitter. I guess it's a question of if the role holder can be trusted to be a demi god or do we actually prefer them to be more of a 'chairman of the board'
  • DrStrangelove 6 Sep 2018 16:38:47 13,284 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't believe it was Pence, he seems far too subservient and spineless to condemn Trump like that. He also stood with him for years no matter how bad the scandals, so I find this sudden clear condemnation of Trump's amorality unlikely. I also don't see how this would save him after Trump's downfall, if it comes out it was him his political career is finished.

Generally, the article doesn't feel to me like it's written by a politician who's used to campaigning. It just feels off.

I wondered if it could be Mattis, as his position happens to be in peril at the same time, but all that talk about reason and responsibility is unlike the Mad Dog.

I'd love if it was John Kelly, whose opinion on Trump is well known. According to Comey, he wanted to quit Trump's nuthouse long ago, but Comey begged him to stay so that some adults remain and prevent worse (imagine the WH controlled completely by Trump, Bannon, Miller, Gorka etc.). As some sort of duty to America, similar to what's described in the op-ed. What makes this seem less likely to me is that Kelly is an anti-immigration hawk but the article doesn't even mention immigration policy among this government's achievements. Of course he could have omitted that exactly to avoid suspicion.

I don't think it was one of the big guys, my bet is on someone in second row, probably someone close to Kelly who spoke out what Kelly won't say.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 16:41:26 06-09-2018
  • Khanivor 6 Sep 2018 16:41:55 43,931 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rodney - Pod Save the World is also very, very good. Lovett or Leave it is same crew but in a game show kind of format.

Also got turned on to Inteligence Matters; former acting head of CIA so quite high caliber.

Listening to these casts and I’m sure I’m far more informed about Trump’s world than Trump is.
  • Khanivor 6 Sep 2018 16:47:10 43,931 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That op-ed is going to have serious ramifications. As much as I despise Trump and a who work and support him, it’s wrong that the duly elected President is having his wishes subverted from within. Essentially there’s been a coup.

It’s so typically Republican that the author and the other jackasses think themselves so necessary that they won’t risk their hides by trying to remove Trump with the 25th. If half of what the author claims is true then Trump is wholly unfit for office and unable to carry out his duties. He needs to be removed.

This is all so fucked. Putin in a million years couldn’t have dreamed at the destruction he’s been able to cause through Trump.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Sep 2018 17:17:11 12,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    That op-ed is going to have serious ramifications. As much as I despise Trump and a who work and support him, it’s wrong that the duly elected President is having his wishes subverted from within.
    Why is it wrong? When the systems fail us and put despots in control, it's right that people within that system seek to subvert. Or should they 'just follow orders'?
  • Not-a-reviewer 6 Sep 2018 17:27:25 5,357 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It’s only wrong if the president is acting rationally and in the interests of the country - there’s a wide margin on that second one but the president thinking he is the country and lives in an alternate reality is clearly outside of it.

He’s come closer to destroying America than anything that happened during the Cold War bar the Cuban missile crisis.
  • RyanDS 6 Sep 2018 17:28:02 12,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On Slate today:

Slate today is taking the rare step of publishing a letter someone sent us from inside an ongoing bank robbery. We have done so at the request of the author, who is currently robbing a bank, but would like to minimize his exposure to criminal charges from this whole bank robbery thing now that it seems to be going south. We invite you to submit a question about this essay or our vetting process here.

“Machine Gun” Bill McGuire, the leader of the gang of hardened criminals currently robbing the First National Bank, is facing a test to his leadership unlike any faced by a modern American bank robber.

It’s not just that the building is surrounded by police officers. Or that he’s running out of hostages to bargain with. Or even that the sentries he posted in the loading dock don’t seem to be responding over their walkie-talkies anymore.

The dilemma—which he does not fully grasp—is that many of the senior henchmen inside his own gang are working diligently from within the bank to paint ourselves as heroes in the press while continuing to stuff our duffel bags with as much money as we can grab.

I would know. I am one of them.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “police department” of the government, the one that enforces the laws against robbing banks. We want the robbery to succeed and think that the part where we made the bank clerks hand over all the money in their drawers at gunpoint was a step in the right direction.

But we believe our first duty is to make it out of the bank alive so we can spend the money we have stolen, and “Machine Gun” McGuire continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to our escape.

That is why many members of the “Gratuitously Murder All the Bank Tellers, Even If They Are Out Sick on the Day of the Robbery” Gang have vowed to do what we can to murder slightly fewer bank tellers during this particular robbery, while blaming as much of the whole crime spree as possible on “Machine Gun” McGuire as we shoot our way to the getaway vehicle. In this sense, we, too, are police officers.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2018 17:28:16 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They are not trying to use the system. They're sticking their fingers in their ears pretending there aren't systems in place to use whilst their feet are busy kicking ass much crumbles of the table, into their own coffers, as possible.
  • Not-a-reviewer 6 Sep 2018 17:33:21 5,357 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They absolutely should be using the system, what they’re doing is a bit cowardly and marginally better than doing nothing.

It is the problem of what can one person do; congress and the senate are failing to do their job and care less about doing what’s right and care more about following the party line. Can this person do more by getting in trumps way or by being more public.

I don’t think the op ed achieves anything and seems like someone wanted to get some anonymous glory.
  • Khanivor 6 Sep 2018 18:13:02 43,931 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    That op-ed is going to have serious ramifications. As much as I despise Trump and a who work and support him, it’s wrong that the duly elected President is having his wishes subverted from within.
    Why is it wrong? When the systems fail us and put despots in control, it's right that people within that system seek to subvert. Or should they 'just follow orders'?
    He was elected to carry out his policies. These folks aren’t eldcted to pick and choose which ones to follow. That’s not their job.

The more important point is if they feel the man is so unstable that they have to subvert his directions then it’s their duty to publicaly say so and remove him from office. If he’s such a danger that his words and actions have to be subverted then he has no business in office.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2018 18:29:37 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/06/donald-trump-inauguration-crowd-size-photos-edited
  • DrStrangelove 6 Sep 2018 18:44:45 13,284 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These days, when you point out how White House/Fox News alternate fact creation is just like soviet propaganda, you merely expect a "thank you counsellor obvious"
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Sep 2018 20:09:56 12,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    He was elected to carry out his policies. These folks aren’t eldcted to pick and choose which ones to follow. That’s not their job.
    I mean, that’s literally the Nuremberg Defence.
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2018 20:13:12 75,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a bit of a difference between standing idly by while he pulls out of NAFTA and being complicit in genocide
  • Boriska 6 Sep 2018 20:15:13 822 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

LOL.
  • Salaman 6 Sep 2018 22:20:08 23,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    I mean, that’s literally the Nuremberg Defence.
    I think the link below sums up rather well why people take issue with people sabotaging Trump from within and calling themselves resistance.

Unlike the Nazi brass, there is a ver clear procedure art of in the US in case the president is deemed unfit for the office, which they are basically claiming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9da36m/i_am_part_of_the_resistance_inside_the_trump/e5gbpyr/

Edited by Salaman at 22:20:52 06-09-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.