• Jono62 8 Nov 2018 22:02:11 21,175 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now Trump is trying to murder Ruth Bader Ginsburg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46142226
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2018 22:12:34 63,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ugh, fucking up your ribs is horrible at any point, but I can only imagine how bad it is at that age.
  • sirtacos 8 Nov 2018 22:32:42 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/trump-s-2-1-trillion-deal-with-the-devil-has-failed-20181108-p50eom.html

Hopefully we'll be turning the page on this bizarre interlude in world history soon, and this will have been the high water mark for right wing populism in the 21st century. Now if only Tony Abbott, Barnaby Joyce, Duterte, Erdoğan and especially Bolsonaro were to fuck off and die, that would be great.

Rupert Murdoch too while we're making a wishlist.

Edited by sirtacos at 22:44:50 08-11-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Nov 2018 22:45:51 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The electoral peak may have passed but the ones in power aren't going anywhere and things haven't peaked in terms of anger yet.

I honestly think we'll see a politician killed or very seriously injured before the year is out.
  • sirtacos 8 Nov 2018 23:02:12 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just hope the inevitable fallout is mostly contained to those venom-filled demagogues/political wrecking balls and their die-hard supporters.

Bolsonaro should have been stabbed a few more times I reckon; we won't be getting rid of that cunt any time soon, and he's in charge of the Amazon rainforest and one of the world's biggest economies for the foreseeable future.

It's just nice to see that there's a chance we might all wake up from this one day like one would from a bender-- disoriented, blanketed by a vague sense of shame and dread and dried vomit, with empty pockets and a pounding headache... maybe missing a kidney... but overall, mostly unscathed and no worse for wear.

Edited by sirtacos at 23:18:58 08-11-2018
  • sirtacos 9 Nov 2018 06:53:56 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1936817002

Sorry about formatting. Mobile.

The scale of the protests against the Whitaker appointment is disappointing (hundreds of people across dozens of cities... so several thousands total... and 18 attorney generals with the balls to officially protest), but it's something. Not like I'm getting off my arse to do my bit so I have no right to complain

Edited by sirtacos at 06:56:22 09-11-2018
  • MrWonderstuff 9 Nov 2018 08:27:19 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Now that Whitaker is controlling the DoJ, Mueller is probably fucked and a new chapter in these dark days of US history begins. A little surprised this was allowed to go through - no confirmation hearing, clear bias from Whitaker, no experience (he was part of a corrupt organisation which was fined $25 million dollars for fraud). That's it folks, unless he recuses himself or is somehow removed Trump will own the justice and law of the US and thus will not face any justice at all. I am watching the Man in the High Tower - starting to look more like where the US is going.
  • Duffking 9 Nov 2018 08:39:37 15,906 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't the appointment illegal? Presumably Mueller can just ignore him and carry on as he's technically not the AG?

Not to mention that because the Democrats control the house they can just re appoint him.

Edited by Duffking at 08:40:26 09-11-2018
  • MrWonderstuff 9 Nov 2018 08:48:57 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Legal? Probably not. But when has this administration done anything legal? I am not sure what process is available to remove him or get him to recuse himself. As for what the House can do, well if they can reappoint him that's great - I am just not hearing that (only that the House can continue the investigation if Mueller is fired).
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2018 08:54:01 9,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm about 99.9% sure that Mueller has prepared for this eventuality. I believe if he was fired and the investigation stopped, the Democrats would be able to summon Mueller to give a public hearing of all the evidence he has collected.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2018 09:04:19 18,787 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's too late to fire him. I guess you could hinder the investigation in other ways, but actually firing the guy would make little difference, and also would be like holding up an I AM GUILTY OF THINGS sign.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2018 09:36:13 63,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1936817002

Sorry about formatting. Mobile.

The scale of the protests against the Whitaker appointment is disappointing (hundreds of people across dozens of cities... so several thousands total... and 18 attorney generals with the balls to officially protest), but it's something. Not like I'm getting off my arse to do my bit so I have no right to complain
    It was the wrong time to do it. People need something to feel passionate / aggrieved about... and this aint it yet.
  • sirtacos 9 Nov 2018 09:58:49 8,074 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope the Dems & Nancy Pelosi in particular have the wherewithal to do something about this and continue the investigation in public. This whole thing is completely unprecedented and I hope they're smart about it.

As for feeling "passionate" about something, that's the problem - where is the breaking point for the public? So far we've had too much to be outraged about on all fronts. That's part of the problem; we've reached saturation point a long time ago. Something dramatically earth-shattering will be needed to shake the public out of their complacency. Right now everyone's attention is fragmented, exhausted and overwhelmed

Edited by sirtacos at 10:05:45 09-11-2018
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2018 10:02:29 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trump now blatantly breaking US and International law.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46147137

Such a cunt.
  • nickthegun 9 Nov 2018 10:10:04 75,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm starting to think that he may be the best thing that ever happened to the world.

He's shown that there are literally no consequences for doing whatever the fuck you like, so something has to change.

None of the robust 'safeguards' apply to him in office, no tax returns, no divestment of interests, lies with impunity and what would happen if he did fuck over asylum seekers? Absolutely nothing.

'hes breaking international law!'

'oh yeah? What the fuck are you going to do about it?'

If nothing else, he's exposing the absolute impotence of institutions we now very obviously take for granted.

And the fucking Tories have started doing it too!
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Nov 2018 10:13:07 8,440 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    NihilisticNickTheGun

You're right though. We may as well do away with this pretence of democracy.
  • Dougs 9 Nov 2018 10:15:43 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, was having that conversation with my wife this morning. The checks and balances are fucked. Guess the only action are sanctions via the UN or something. But not sure how that's going to work.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2018 10:45:42 18,787 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's impossible to have laws about absolutely everything, which is why we have norms of behaviour that people generally follow even if they don't legally have to. But if someone comes along who gives zero shits about norms, then yeah... maybe some of them need to be strengthened into laws.

Or maybe he's just a one-off? I don't really know anymore.
  • Tonka 9 Nov 2018 10:52:24 28,673 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun amen

It's the great stress test and democracy is failing it hard.
  • sunjumper 9 Nov 2018 12:44:19 3,470 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I'm starting to think that he may be the best thing that ever happened to the world.

He's shown that there are literally no consequences for doing whatever the fuck you like, so something has to change.

None of the robust 'safeguards' apply to him in office, no tax returns, no divestment of interests, lies with impunity and what would happen if he did fuck over asylum seekers? Absolutely nothing.

'hes breaking international law!'

'oh yeah? What the fuck are you going to do about it?'

If nothing else, he's exposing the absolute impotence of institutions we now very obviously take for granted.

And the fucking Tories have started doing it too!
    A further advantage to him is that he is an idiot who thinks that he's a genius, while having the temperament and nature of an autocrat.

Watching him teaches us how such people act with the added benefit of him being so inept at it that pretty much every corrupt thing he does is absolutely obvious. THis helps to recognise the same characteristics in people who are cleverer than he is and are better in hiding their dictatorial goals behind pretty lies and competent propaganda.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2018 13:25:17 13,294 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If recent years have taught as anything it's that it's completely unnecessary to hide your dictatorial goals. Quite the contrary, it gets you a lot of votes
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2018 13:32:44 16,775 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I find it pretty terrifying that he's shown that there are no consequences for doing whatever the fuck you like. Because the next guy that rides through on this wave of shit will likely not be functionally retarded like Trump is, and that's when things will get truly fucked.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Nov 2018 13:52:35 4,448 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So is Trump basically modern day Nero?
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Nov 2018 13:54:45 8,440 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's more Caligula with his daughter coveting.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Nov 2018 13:57:50 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Trump is Caligula's horse.

The corporate aristocracy which controls the republican party is shoving the people of america's nose in the dirt to demonstrate how little they care about their democratic rights.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2018 14:42:24 13,294 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remember how he boasted that he would put an end to the trade deficit? Surprise surprise, it's actually getting worse since his election.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2018/08/31/why-president-trumps-tax-cuts-are-making-the-trade-deficit-bigger/#3be3f17f48e3

In other news, national debt is increasing as fast as in the financial crisis, the difference being that the economy was on its knees back then. Not quite so surprising given that his business strategy always was wasting money he didn't have. But hey, he's a businessman, he makes good deals etc.

The really annoying part is that the next president will have to deal with a huge mess, and people will blame them and wish back the great Donald under whom the economy went so well.
  • Bambot 9 Nov 2018 14:58:39 1,246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's too late to fire him. I guess you could hinder the investigation in other ways, but actually firing the guy would make little difference, and also would be like holding up an I AM GUILTY OF THINGS sign.
    I read rumblings that he's suggested cutting their funding, as the most passive-aggressive way of stifling their progress.
  • Jono62 9 Nov 2018 18:03:45 21,175 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trump press conference in tweets

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1060905914251833344?s=19
  • askew 9 Nov 2018 18:44:38 17,796 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God. Why does nobody fucking confront him that he's lying?!

Anyway:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-played-central-role-in-hush-payoffs-to-stormy-daniels-and-karen-mcdougal-1541786601?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Nobody could have seen that coming not that it'll change anything :rolleyes:

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.