Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1100

• Your-Mother 5 Apr 2019 14:40:44 2,577 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lions and tigers and bears

Oh, and rattlesnakes.

And white trash republicans who carry guns everywhere.
  • Alastair 5 Apr 2019 15:11:54 23,311 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You were selling it, up to the last one..
  • Kronos 5 Apr 2019 16:45:20 739 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ..oranges..
  • Tonka 5 Apr 2019 16:49:20 29,324 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    There are arguments both ways, is it cruel to the wildlife that cats kill by letting them outside? Not sure what it has to do with the Orange man himself.
    Trump is clearly a dog.
  • captain-Snufkin 9 Apr 2019 21:43:08 829 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Trump apparently wanting war with Iran by calling their military a terrorist organization.

Edited by captain-Snufkin at 05:01:17 10-04-2019
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Apr 2019 08:22:57 14,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wars secure second Presidential Terms.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Apr 2019 08:53:07 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe, but he's probably just bullshitting again.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 10 Apr 2019 08:57:58 654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    There I was hoping that "shooting" and "Trump" threads being at the top of the page was more than just a co-incidence.

Oh well.
  • Salaman 10 Apr 2019 09:42:09 23,545 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    BEsides... it's a farth compared to other powerplants... or cats.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/21/wind-power-results-bird-deaths-overall/
    Nowt to do with Trump but this is a certain flavour of bollocks. Yes, cats are shitty bastards. Yes, cat owners who let their cats out to hunt, particularly at night, are worse than shitty bastards. But the birds threatened by turbines are not the same as the birds threatened by cats. It is typically birds of prey that get killed by turbines and their population is typically lower than the prey populations. This means that a just a few being hit by turbines can mean a near-extinction locally.

I love turbines but they are not a panacea. There are problems, but many can be mitigated by choosing sites correctly etc.
    God I can't think of anything crueller than keeping a cat indoors and not letting them out.
    Letting it go out with a bell on it's collar?
    Luckily for some a helpful EG-er will remove them.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 07:54:32 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, author Brett Easton Ellis has some opinions...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bret-easton-ellis-thinks-youre-overreacting-to-donald-trump

The interview is hilarious. Highly recommended.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 08:35:31 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bret-easton-ellis-thinks-youre-overreacting-to-donald-trump

In a way I think he has a point. To an extent he’s talking about the same basic problem with have with Brexit. It essentially boils down to if you believe in democracy then you have to go with what the majority wants, even if they’re cunts.

He is himself a total cunt, but he’s not wrong that Trump is just doing what his voters democratically voted for him to do.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Apr 2019 08:40:59 12,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That was a car crash of an interview tbh.
  • RyanDS 12 Apr 2019 09:00:37 12,696 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    It essentially boils down to if you believe in democracy then you have to go with what the majority wants, even if they’re cunts.

No, that is tyranny of the majority. Democracy is more nuanced than that.
  • DJCopa 12 Apr 2019 09:54:02 1,821 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's just going round in circles and contradicting himself throughout.

Brett Easton Ellis: What does he have, a ninety-three-per-cent approval rating, or, let’s say, a hundred per cent, from his base? Let’s say it is, over all, way up, from thirty-eight per cent to fifty per cent, or even higher. And let’s say Latinos are now fifty-per-cent approval for Trump.

Interviewer: That’s not true, but O.K.

Brett Easton Ellis: Well, whatever.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Apr 2019 10:49:36 13,817 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    It essentially boils down to if you believe in democracy then you have to go with what the majority wants, even if they’re cunts.

And the majority voted for Clinton actually

Edited by DrStrangelove at 10:50:48 12-04-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 12:22:20 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

I mean, yes, but also that's exactly why we have racist crypto-fascists leading both nations, so also no.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 14:07:35 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

In a way I think he has a point. To an extent he’s talking about the same basic problem with have with Brexit. It essentially boils down to if you believe in democracy then you have to go with what the majority wants, even if they’re cunts.

He is himself a total cunt, but he’s not wrong that Trump is just doing what his voters democratically voted for him to do.
    I do agree with the premise that democracy doesn't always mean that you get what you want, but the main thing I got from the piece is that Ellis hasn't really thought very hard about any of his beliefs. Because (as you can see in the interview, which is very much a trainwreck) he crumbles under the slightest bit of pushback.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 14:24:46 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah totally. I don't think he thinks particularly deeply about anything.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Apr 2019 14:29:18 19,022 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I dunno, that bit where the rat eats the ladies vagina had obviously been thought about in some detail.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 14:34:55 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still think that American Psycho is a masterpiece. Not an easy read, and definitely not one that I would recommend to everyone (because it really is sick in parts), but it's the best thing he's done.

Doesn't stop him from being an irl Bateman-minus-the-murder-and-rape, but he still did one great book.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 14:37:06 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the film is far better than the book. It treats the whole things with a sardonic lens that isn't really in the book and is all the better for it. I also think having a woman interpret such a hugely misogynistic piece of literature is a really interesting thing do to.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 14:49:24 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I'd probably rate the film higher than the book as well (though maybe not as higher as you do). The business card scene in particular is sensational.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 14:54:03 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It certainly is.

I keep meeting people called Paul Allen for some reason and I keep referencing that scene, and they have no idea what I'm on about.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 15:15:22 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess what the book does is really get you inside of his head. The way he describes everyone in terms of the brands they're wearing, his obsession with status and being seen at the right restaurants, the story slowly getting more and more surreal, it's all stuff that you can only really get through the written word. Particularly the descriptive language.

It's not at all pleasant being inside of his head, mind, especially when it escalates to almost cartoonish "I cannot believe I just read that" ultra-violence. And I can understand the comments about the book being misogynistic - though I don't know whether a book about a misogynistic person is necessarily that way by default, especially since Bateman isn't really meant to be someone you sympathise with. But it is a worthwhile read imo, even with the author being a dick.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 15:25:07 12-04-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Apr 2019 16:02:19 14,731 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think when you listen to BEE and realise how autobiographical and non-ironic his earlier works all were, it's fair to call them misogynistic. Because he clearly is.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Apr 2019 12:37:15 14,768 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Don't worry Boeing - Our Lord and Saviour can fix that troublesome 737:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-boeing-737-max-twitter-plane-rebrand-crash-a8870461.html?fbclid=IwAR0onwnirm0QodRKoumDE43DER4INzvoJwzfa9AFvX27-l9x9z3QlkFmCsc
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Apr 2019 12:47:08 6,968 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drumpf should really consider wearing a cape. I mean, the best heros carry one.

The hair already comes across as a helmet/mask of sorts so we're good on that front, similarly with the orange tint.

Maybe a big golden D on his chest, with a vertical line running through it resembling a dollar sign. And two arches in the background because he likes burgers so fucking much.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 15 Apr 2019 13:04:15 1,573 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's so very obviously going to get away with all this shit, and live in absolute ignorance of how dumb he actually is until he's medically senile (not long now, then).

Just preparing myself, here.
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Apr 2019 13:20:19 6,968 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The majority of humans are either mindblowingly stupid, or vile cunts.

That's a conclusion which 'comforts' me through this car crash of a presidency and the US's descent into banana republic status. I just wish they didn't have as much influence over the rest of the world as they do (still).

And even if the US loses influence, the vacuum will be filled by China/Russia.

/goto sentence 1
  • MrWonderstuff 15 Apr 2019 17:09:50 2,881 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For all the Democrats words they really are an ineffectual bunch. Just subpoena the full Mueller report now and stop wasting time waiting for the doctored/redacted version. They keep saying "This is not the norm" about Trump but that's it - they have more power in congress than they want to exercise. Trump isn't playing by the accepted norms and neither should the Dems.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 17:10:23 15-04-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.