Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1209

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Apr 2020 19:01:05 8,687 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @captbirdseye I'm not sure there is much the EU can do about it right now, other than to ride this storm out and hope it can recover things afterwards.

The EU's power ultimately stems from the fact that the majority of its member states want it to be powerful. A lot of the pre-Brexit tension between the UK and the wider EU stemmed from the fact that the UK didn't want the EU to be powerful, while the other 27 member states did.

But if a critical mass of members decide that they don't want the EU to be powerful and instead switch to "every man for himself", the EU is left as a miniature version of the UN - a talking-shop with some ugly buildings.

If the current slide into unilateral action by members continues, the question becomes whether or not they're able to reset relationships back to normal when this is over.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Apr 2020 19:08:26 19,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The irony of this piracy is that it isn't even AMERICA FIRST, its certain kind of Americans first and fuck everyone else.
  • Malek86 3 Apr 2020 19:28:04 10,090 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon things might change if that new "Marshall Plan" comes to fruition, but I think it would need to be a lot bigger than it currently is, and I would like to know where the money is gonna come from.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Apr 2020 05:21:41 15,150 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time and again, when there's a crisis it's everyone for themselves. "blah solidary group blah", yeah right. All the while nationalist/anti-EU governments are on the rise across Europe. Some countries (notably France) want to advance the EU project, but the biggest member state keeps pulling the brake. I have little hope left for the EU's future.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2020 06:39:03 30,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It had become clear to me that EU is mostly concerned with trade, and not very good at it.

I used to be pro EU but after what France is allowed to do wrt medical equipment.... Fuck it.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2020 06:42:43 30,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Partly because they seem incapable to agree on anything. France recently stopped the export of medical equipment to another EU nation and kept it for themselves.
    A Swedish medical company has had a large shipment from one of their factories in China seized in France.

Now they have to send stuff by boat to the Netherlands...

The shipment was meant for Italy btw.

Edited by Tonka at 06:43:33 04-04-2020
  • Dougs 4 Apr 2020 07:00:58 94,063 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh god....

Fridayís briefing also produced a very Trumpian moment as he referred to the models projecting the virusís spread and death toll. He said: ďThe models show hundreds of thousands of people are going to die. You know what I want to do? I want to come way under the model. The professionals did the models. I was never involved in a model Ė at least, this kind of a model.Ē
  • Derblington 4 Apr 2020 07:19:28 33,138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka
    I donít think anyone is good at anything right now. Itís unprecedented times.

Wrt France, how do the EU stop them? Itís not like they can just roll up and take it back. Everyone is fighting to stop a virus from killing half of their population.
    Except Sweden.
  • MrWonderstuff 4 Apr 2020 09:19:05 3,259 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The test of any president/prime minister is in a crisis. Bush had Katrina, which was a shitshow. Trump has this, and is making Bush look good. No cohesive response at federal level, leaving each state to its own to sort, NY out of ventilators. That 'if I shot someone on 5th avenue' quote - you may as well say 'if I killed thousands of people due to my incompetence, people would still vote for me'. Really America. Get.Your.Shit.Together.
  • captbirdseye 4 Apr 2020 09:20:54 9,626 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The shit will happen when 30 million unemployed people lose their healthcare insurance.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Apr 2020 09:21:49 19,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    The test of any president/prime minister is in a crisis. Bush had Katrina, which was a shitshow. Trump has this, and is making Bush look good. No cohesive response at federal level, leaving each state to its own to sort, NY out of ventilators. That 'if I shot someone on 5th avenue' quote - you may as well say 'if I killed thousands of people due to my incompetence, people would still vote for me'. Really America. Get.Your.Shit.Together.
    It's almost as if being an old, rich, white guy is a win button.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Apr 2020 09:32:57 23,685 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On balance I think this is going to fuck him. Yes an incumbent has an advantage when there's a crisis on (like a war), and yes people seem to approve of his handling of it so far. But the worst is yet to come, and the economy is fuuuucked, which usually makes a big difference to a general election. Given that he wasn't exactly popular to begin with, the fallout from this will break him.

Might be wishful thinking, but hey, gotta be hopeful about something right?
  • IRWATWO 4 Apr 2020 10:21:24 702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Time and again, when there's a crisis it's everyone for themselves. "blah solidary group blah", yeah right. All the while nationalist/anti-EU governments are on the rise across Europe. Some countries (notably France) want to advance the EU project, but the biggest member state keeps pulling the brake. I have little hope left for the EU's future.
    The flag waving patriot cumstains that run the planet are a significant reason the virus has spread so far, and they don't care. A federalised world government could have thrown a world army around China, and then coordinated assistance from outside, whilst the other 196 countries got on with generating the aid.

Instead, so far 197 steaming piles of sovereignty worldwide have led to a economy-crippling pandemic across the entire fucking planet in less than 6 months, and even if anyone had tried to organise assistance for China, pretty much every nation powerful enough to assist would have told them to get fucked.

Every real problem the world now faces is global, and still the flag waving cunts worldwide run things, with precisely 0 sign of change. Apathetic little planet :)
  • KnuttinAtoll 4 Apr 2020 11:23:43 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    The problem is as long as sovereign (yup) nation states exist, with their own elected governments, and a largely ignorant population that is incapable of seeing the bigger picture the EU will only ever be a fair weather union, as much as it pains me to say it being a huge supporter (and beneficiary) of it.

I mean look at the US, it's one country and still individual states are fighting over resources, at times even against their own fucking federal government it's absolutely mental. How is it supposed to work better with 27 sovereign nations with diverse cultures and political makeups.
  • barchetta 4 Apr 2020 11:26:37 2,406 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I have been left wondering where the world, UN, EU etc go after this. We'd already been heading down the partisan, nationalistic road with the rise of Trump and Brexit. I'd have hoped a global crisis of this size might have brought some global solidarity. Sure, China sent medical teams to Italy but there have been very few 'big ticket' announcements of international co-operation.

Short of alien invasion, and even then Trump would likely buy some sort of licensing deal, what hope for a more united world? Not feeling it so far.
  • KnuttinAtoll 4 Apr 2020 11:30:06 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If aliens invade I'll apply for a Martian.. uhm.. green card.
  • EMarkM 4 Apr 2020 11:34:42 4,945 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím gonna fuck me a space-alien.

Then probably find out thatís where Coronavirus comes from :(
  • beastmaster 4 Apr 2020 11:43:39 20,679 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • senso-ji 4 Apr 2020 14:02:19 10,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His reasoning for not wearing a face mask:

"I just don't want to be doing [that], somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great Resolute Desk."

"I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know somehow I don't see it for myself. I just don't. Maybe I'll change my mind."
    Honestly, it was not said in jest. He has no idea what is going on beyond his gold plated elevator and just assumes life will continue as normal for him.
  • KnuttinAtoll 4 Apr 2020 14:54:54 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Partly because they seem incapable to agree on anything. France recently stopped the export of medical equipment to another EU nation and kept it for themselves.
    A Swedish medical company has had a large shipment from one of their factories in China seized in France.

Now they have to send stuff by boat to the Netherlands...

The shipment was meant for Italy btw.
    Do you have a link? Searched for this but couldn't find anything on this story.
  • KnuttinAtoll 4 Apr 2020 14:57:22 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:

"I just don't want to be doing [that], somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great Resolute Desk."

"I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know somehow I don't see it for myself. I just don't. Maybe I'll change my mind."
    Honestly, it was not said in jest. He has no idea what is going on beyond his gold plated elevator and just assumes life will continue as normal for him.
    The fact he has continuously dodged the virus despite his best efforts is really pissing me off.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2020 15:08:53 30,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Derblington I used to think EU would be about cooperation among the states to be able to make bigger and better things together. I thought trade regulations would ensure that one state didn't do dick moves.

But the abysmal handling of Syrian refugees and now this non attempt at joining forces against corona has left me wondering if we might not be better off without the EU.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2020 15:10:18 30,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

It's in Swedish. Four million masks seized by France.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Qobryq/sverige-overvager-anmala-frankrike-for-masker

Edited by Tonka at 15:11:28 04-04-2020
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 Apr 2020 15:20:59 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:

The fact he has continuously dodged the virus despite his best efforts is really pissing me off.
    If it turns out this cunt is asymptomatic, either there is no god, or there is one and he's just having us all on now.
  • KnuttinAtoll 4 Apr 2020 16:11:08 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

It's in Swedish. Four million masks seized by France.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Qobryq/sverige-overvager-anmala-frankrike-for-masker
    Thanks. Weird that it doesn't seem covered in the international press as it's scandalous this happens, although I did hear Czechia intercepted some shipments bound for Italy before I believe.

Still not reason enough to just disband the whole thing. Just a reminder that the EU is a union of separate countries and not the superpower a number of nutters seem to fear.
  • Tonka 4 Apr 2020 16:29:20 30,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's plenty of news to go around. Ain't got no time for that.

I'm the kind of person that would like the EU to become a superstate. Either that or trim the bureaucratic fat in Brussels
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Apr 2020 17:23:26 15,795 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So Trump steals masks and then forces Americans to buy them?
  • JamboWayOh 4 Apr 2020 17:24:03 19,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    So Trump's new guidelines is for all Americans to wear masks... but he won't because "he doesn't want to".

Can we pretty please get someone infected to go and lick him?
    If the virus doesn't kill him a grief stricken former supporter will.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.