Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1245

• JoeBlade 19 May 2020 09:29:40 4,932 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    He's a great Donald Trump. The best Donald Trump.

I despise the guy
  • egosapien 19 May 2020 09:35:20 75 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I really hope (t)his narcistic world damaging ego won't be re-elected, and make 2020 even worse.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 May 2020 09:40:13 13,527 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I’m quite sure he’ll be looking into ways to postpone the election or enact a massive disenfranchisement of BAME voters (moreso than the GOP already does) using the virus as an excuse
  • Rodney 19 May 2020 09:41:43 4,396 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think he is going to be re-elected. He has a structural advantage and the biggest campaign finance advantage in US history.

He is going to spam the nagative ads against Biden and unleash armies of bots.

COVID-19 has given him a get out jail free card on the economy and a rationalisation for border policies.

He is fat though so we can laugh at that
  • Armoured_Bear 19 May 2020 09:57:34 28,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imagine you've all seen the Sarah Cooper videos but I found the newest one especially good.

link
  • Baihu1983 19 May 2020 10:36:00 12,334 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beautiful

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1262546619704147971?s=19
  • Psychotext 19 May 2020 12:05:21 66,921 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I understand why China doesn't want an independent investigation, but it seems pretty legit to me. It sucks that some governments will probably use it to distract from their own failures, but that doesn't make it less worthwhile.
    Your info may be a touch out of date...

Speaking to the World Health Organization’s annual meeting of the World Health Assembly, Xi said China would support the WHO conducting an investigation, while defending that his country has “acted with openness, transparency and responsibility.”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/05/18/chinas-xi-jinping-supports-who-investigation-into-coronavirus-origins/#124b2b17331e
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2020 12:10:59 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't the whole problem with the WHO that it's compromised by the countries that provide its funding?
  • Psychotext 19 May 2020 12:17:29 66,921 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They'll be under significant pressure, yeah, but they're the only people on the planet that could realistically handle an investigation (without having the results dismissed out of hand).
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2020 12:32:16 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, but why would they be so mad about the investigation Australia proposed, if they were already going to have an independent investigation? I don't think any country can claim to have acted with "openness, transparency and responsibility". Least of all China.

I don't know what the solution to that is, but I don't exactly have a lot of trust in their integrity here.
  • davidfowles 19 May 2020 12:43:10 138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Tonka wrote:
    davidfowles wrote:
    I don’t think it was pandering necessarily. There should clearly be an inquiry into where it came from and how the country of origin handled a deadly outbreak that has brought down the whole world’s economy and yeah some people are dying.
    We know full well how China is handling the outbreak. Massive lockdowns. And it doesn't seem to be working quite as well as one would hope. Which is bad news for everyone.

We also know it came from China.

So now that you have that information, what should be done with it? Should we start sending medical bills to countries where new viruses emerge?
    By “where it came from” I mean a little more detail about how it came to be in patient zero than just a geographical region. A detailed inquiry should present solid info and recommendations would come out of that to better handle things early next time.
  • davidfowles 19 May 2020 12:49:22 138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Post deleted
  • davidfowles 19 May 2020 12:50:31 138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Ok, but why would they be so mad about the investigation Australia proposed, if they were already going to have an independent investigation? I don't think any country can claim to have acted with "openness, transparency and responsibility". Least of all China.

I don't know what the solution to that is, but I don't exactly have a lot of trust in their integrity here.
    Australia has a bunch of government backbenchers saying whatever they want, not in step with the offical government line, but we have free speech, and China’s ambassador to Australia cracked the shits and threatened big terrible revenge for this insult to the Party, and now their totalitarian regime is staging economic revenge attacks against our barley and beef farmers, who are going “what?...”
  • grey_matters 19 May 2020 12:52:54 5,264 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

The Australian proposal (more of an idea mentioned in a comment) was an investigation into China's failures. This proposal (by a few european countries) is to explore failures in a wider context, both regional and country-specific. Focus against China is diluted but this kind of thing has to happen too. Serious questions need to be answered in Ireland about the care home situation, the UK for... some of those things (/gestures vaguely), and so on. If China strengthens regulations against wet markets, it might be all that's possible to get done anyway. And then, everyone else can decide if that's enough.

Edited by grey_matters at 12:54:40 19-05-2020
  • Mola_Ram 19 May 2020 12:53:59 23,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Australia has a bunch of government backbenchers saying whatever they want, not in step with the offical government line, but we have free speech, and China’s ambassador to Australia cracked the shits and threatened big terrible revenge for this insult to the Party, and now their totalitarian regime is staging economic revenge attacks against our barley and beef farmers, who are going “what?...”
    Cool, so they have a thin skin. In other news, the sun rose in the east today!

As someone who doesn't usually like the Australian government, it's refreshing to see them with a little bit of spine. Don't know how long it will last though.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:54:46 19-05-2020
  • nickthegun 19 May 2020 13:06:36 81,733 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    egosapien wrote:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html
    No way is he taking it. Hes quite transparently saying he is to save face.
  • Tonka 19 May 2020 13:27:58 30,814 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    By “where it came from” I mean a little more detail about how it came to be in patient zero than just a geographical region. A detailed inquiry should present solid info and recommendations would come out of that to better handle things early next time.
    You are talking about two things at once. How it was transmitted from bats to humans and how to handle a viral pandemic.

The first one could help with preventing a new outbreak I guess. It seems pretty clear that it had something with the wetmarket in Wuhan to do, so stricter rules around how to handle produce, meats and live animals.

We know this. The alternative is the crackpot "It was grown in a lab" thing. If that was true (it has been debunked a couple of times) then an investigation would do sweet fuck all.

As for how to handle a pandemic... people knew that. Maybe some partial blame could be put on WHO for not sounding the "This is some serious shit" alarm earlier. But anyone with half an eye on what happened in Asia had fair warning.

What I'm saying is that yes, an investigation into the outbreak would be nice. But the issue lies in the ongoing cold war between China and the US. And the incompetent leader in the UK and the US. No nosing around a market in Wuhan will change any of that.

I think more will be learned from comparing how different European countries handled covid19. Or why the fuck the EU couldn't be useful. As in why could France seize Swedish medical equipment en route to Italy and Spain?

Isn't that a trade violation? Isn't that what Eu is all about?
  • TechnoHippy 19 May 2020 16:43:56 17,299 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not exactly a surprise - https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/report-trump-wont-display-obamas-portrait-in-wh-rejecting-tradition
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 May 2020 17:01:36 13,527 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The thinnest skinned racist baby man
  • superdelphinus 19 May 2020 17:28:35 10,344 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I think he is going to be re-elected. He has a structural advantage and the biggest campaign finance advantage in US history.

He is going to spam the nagative ads against Biden and unleash armies of bots.

COVID-19 has given him a get out jail free card on the economy and a rationalisation for border policies.

He is fat though so we can laugh at that
    I agree, sadly. I don’t think it will even be close.
  • Khanivor 19 May 2020 17:34:35 44,427 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think he’s fucked.

He has nothing to run on. Nothing.

His base cannot gets him elected. They are the only people he ever tries to appeal to.

He’s deeply underwater in all the states he needed to win in 2016.

The appeal of sending in a ‘break stuff’ guy has lost its appeal for pretty much anyone not in his cult.

The election is decided by the floating voters.

Are you better then you were four years ago?

Why would they vote for Trump again?
  • Graxlar_v3 19 May 2020 17:42:37 10,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I think he’s fucked.

He has nothing to run on. Nothing.

His base cannot gets him elected. They are the only people he ever tries to appeal to.

He’s deeply underwater in all the states he needed to win in 2016.

The appeal of sending in a ‘break stuff’ guy has lost its appeal for pretty much anyone not in his cult.

The election is decided by the floating voters.

Are you better then you were four years ago?

Why would they vote for Trump again?
    Because this pandemic and economic collapse is all Obama’s fault and Biden is a corrupt peado (ask Junior) and the only person who could get the economy on track is Trump!
  • Psychotext 19 May 2020 18:11:06 66,921 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still love how people talk about him as a businessman... without realising that he was never actually any good at it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 May 2020 18:12:53 13,527 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I still love how people talk about him as a businessman... without realising that he was never actually any good at it.
    I think you’ll find those bankruptcies and law suits were all Obama’s fault
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 May 2020 18:24:09 8,685 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I still think he's toast come November.

Reasons to think Trump's toast

- His approval ratings are poor for a President less than 6 months out from an election. There was a small bounce in the early weeks of the COVID-19 outbreak, but that's long since subsided.

- His position in the national polling is poor. He's consistently around 4-5 points behind Biden. Hillary had similar leads at times in 2016, but her lead was more volatile, implying a lot of undecided voters. There's no volatility this time.

- His position with the voters he actually needs to win is even worse. Remember, Trump's base are highly visible, particularly on social media, but they aren't enough to get him elected. He's consistently around 10 points behind in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan, which are the States he needs to hold. He's 12 points behind in Virginia, which is the only major 2016 blue state he ever had any prospect of flipping into his column. Florida is closer (a lot of Trump's base there), but Biden doesn't need Florida to win. Trump has lost the moderates who gave him a chance over Clinton in 2016.

- The next few months are going to be grim for him. The US as a whole has no real grip on COVID-19. It's now going into a period where other countries (including the UK, albeit a bit behind the curve) will be relaxing lockdowns and moving back to some kind of normality with low infection rates, while the outbreak in the US remains rife. The outbreak in the US may well still be in full swing come November. How will Americans react when other countries are imposing travel bans on them? That's going to feel like an unprecedented moment of national humiliation.

- The logistics of the campaign work against him this time. Trump thrives on rallies. He might get a few rallies in 2020, but there won't be as many of them and attendance will be down. This will suck a lot of the oxygen from his campaign.

- The rate he burns through staff has taken out a lot of the competent campaign people on the Republican side. The RNC is probably more capable as an organisation still than the DNC, but that's not hard (the Chuckle Brothers would do a better job than the DNC, and one of them's dead). The huge capability-gap from 2016 won't be there any more.

Though a couple of reasons he may still squeak over the line

- Biden is a liability. He's clearly past the top of his game and doesn't look like he has the fight or energy for the contest. Worse, the sexual assault allegations are going to dog him. It's not the allegations itself, but rather that Biden went full #metoo and #believeallwomen in recent years. For him to insist on the presumption of innocence and due process for himself after denying it to others is the kind of hypocrisy that lands really badly.

- Biden's range of VP picks don't look great. The main candidates spoken about all have serious issues when it comes to picking up centrist voters. This is amplified by the fact that not many people think Biden looks healthy enough to go a full 2 terms, so the VP pick becomes quite nakedly a potential president.

So in short, Trump's probably going to lose, though Biden could still just about, by dint of really exceptional incompetence, throw it away.
  • Psychotext 19 May 2020 18:31:01 66,921 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stupid sleepy Biden!
  • beastmaster 19 May 2020 18:31:36 20,676 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Will people be blaming the Russian bots again if he wins?
  • Psychotext 19 May 2020 18:41:33 66,921 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Will people be blaming the Russian bots again if he wins?
    Depends, how much manipulation will they be planning on doing this time around?
  • Tonka 19 May 2020 19:17:31 30,814 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fucking hell

https://twitter.com/sunnmcheaux/status/1262510184129314816
  • RGeefe 19 May 2020 19:30:56 975 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Fucking hell

https://twitter.com/sunnmcheaux/status/1262510184129314816
    That's a spectacular display of ignorance.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.