Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1249

  • fontgeeksogood 25 May 2020 08:38:06 9,690 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, we won't because there isn't an alternate universe we can travel to
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 May 2020 09:52:59 8,135 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You would hope though that voters will see that what Trump does/stands for is directly affecting them negatively, whereas Biden "just" said something stupid and insensitive (compare that to what Trump not just said, but actually did in the past 4 years).

    Not voting at all is just plain idiotic in the current climate given what's at stake (especially for minorities in the US), and voters need to look at the bigger picture.

    If they don't, then, well... the population usually get the government they deserve. It's just unfortunate that with the US the rest of the world will suffer also as a result.
  • JamboWayOh 25 May 2020 10:06:22 19,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/25/americans-defy-covid-19-social-distancing-rules-to-celebrate-memorial-day-holiday

    Ahhhh, America...
  • RGeefe 25 May 2020 10:14:27 975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Something something at least we're not them
  • RobAnybody 25 May 2020 11:17:02 2,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/25/americans-defy-covid-19-social-distancing-rules-to-celebrate-memorial-day-holiday

    Ahhhh, America...
    They probably heard about Cummings and thought "ahhh fuck it, I'm off out". ;)
  • Psychotext 25 May 2020 12:43:14 66,921 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just as the US hits 100k dead.

    Happy memorial day!
  • Baihu1983 26 May 2020 07:45:54 12,334 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1265032410909028353?s=20
  • TechnoHippy 26 May 2020 07:54:25 17,299 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1265032410909028353?s=20
    It's the smirk that sells it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 May 2020 07:57:20 13,528 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1265032410909028353?s=20
    We basically live in Robocop now
  • frightlever 26 May 2020 08:59:22 1,481 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just as the US hits 100k dead.

    Happy memorial day!
    Official death toll. Actual death toll could be 15-20% higher or more.

    I pointed out something similar in one of the UK threads, but last year almost 3 million people died in the US so if you can get past the hysteria COVID 19 isn't close to being a major cause of death yet. About 650,000 people die of heart disease in the US every year but nobody is slapping cheeseburgers out of anybody's hands just yet.

    Ignoring, or even vilifying, simple precautions like face masks and distancing is just wilfully ignorant, but until there's a revolution shutting down the US economy is probably going to do more long term harm than good.

    The goal is to avoid swamping health services, it's not and never was minimising the number of deaths. What's the point of saving tens of thousands of lives, but causing yourself so much economic damage that poverty kills hundreds of thousands?

    Equable wealth re-distribution would save more lives but that's not going to happen.

    And yeah, I appreciate this isn't a popular view but just saying shut everything down without considering the longterm consequences is dumb. People are dying every day from OTHER medical conditions because they aren't getting the attention while so much is focused on Covid 19. There's no black and white response.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 May 2020 09:18:45 24,907 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dont even know where to start with that bollocks.
  • JamboWayOh 26 May 2020 09:23:55 19,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When someone uses the word 'hysteria' then anything they say is automatically void.
  • KnuttinAtoll 26 May 2020 09:25:21 8,135 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    frightlever wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just as the US hits 100k dead.

    Happy memorial day!
    Official death toll. Actual death toll could be 15-20% higher or more.

    I pointed out something similar in one of the UK threads, but last year almost 3 million people died in the US so if you can get past the hysteria COVID 19 isn't close to being a major cause of death yet. About 650,000 people die of heart disease in the US every year but nobody is slapping cheeseburgers out of anybody's hands just yet.

    Ignoring, or even vilifying, simple precautions like face masks and distancing is just wilfully ignorant, but until there's a revolution shutting down the US economy is probably going to do more long term harm than good.

    The goal is to avoid swamping health services, it's not and never was minimising the number of deaths. What's the point of saving tens of thousands of lives, but causing yourself so much economic damage that poverty kills hundreds of thousands?

    Equable wealth re-distribution would save more lives but that's not going to happen.

    And yeah, I appreciate this isn't a popular view but just saying shut everything down without considering the longterm consequences is dumb. People are dying every day from OTHER medical conditions because they aren't getting the attention while so much is focused on Covid 19. There's no black and white response.

    Get back to work, capital stock unit!
  • RGeefe 26 May 2020 09:39:54 975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think there's a difference between dying of heart disease because you ate too many cheeseburgers and dying of a virus you caught because other people couldn't stay the fuck away from you while they were ill with said virus and should have been at home.
  • KnuttinAtoll 26 May 2020 09:46:14 8,135 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just seen some footage on CNN from Alabama's coast. Social distancing? Helllll No Sir!

    Young and old people openly admitting that "if God thinks my time is up so be it". While I expect old folks to have a minimum level of ignorance, selfishness and stupidity, the younglings' attitudes are pretty shocking. One kid said that if Trump doesn't wear a mask he won't either. I sound old saying this but this is the future generation, guys.

    The US will be super duper fucked later in the year. Feels like the final days of Ancient Rome.
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 May 2020 09:51:00 12,727 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually wouldn't mind it at all if cheeseburgers were airborne and could be sneezed directly into my face.
  • reddevil93 26 May 2020 16:05:48 15,432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm also pretty sure Covid has been the leading cause of death in the US for around a month now.

    But yeah, lets get smacking some cheeseburgers.
  • DrStrangelove 26 May 2020 17:10:58 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    You would hope though that voters will see that what Trump does/stands for is directly affecting them negatively, whereas Biden "just" said something stupid and insensitive (compare that to what Trump not just said, but actually did in the past 4 years).
    The problem is that their respective voter bases have different standards. In neo-Republican nihilism, their candidate can say or do whatever he wants and people will cheer him for that. Potential swing voters put off by that need a Democrat candidate who lives up to higher standards of moral and responsibility. If that candidate falls short, that's not good.

    Not voting at all is just plain idiotic in the current climate given what's at stake (especially for minorities in the US), and voters need to look at the bigger picture.
    It kinda is, but it would be much easier if Biden didn't try so hard to present himself as the lesser of two evils instead of an actually good candidate. He gives his opponents such an easy time. The Trump campaign could easily point out how offensive the "you ain't black" remark was and there's little to answer because it's true.

    If they don't, then, well... the population usually get the government they deserve. It's just unfortunate that with the US the rest of the world will suffer also as a result.
    But all the people who voted against don't deserve it. Especially if the majority voted for Clinton last time. The people of the US don't deserve Trump if only a minority of them voted for him.
  • DrStrangelove 26 May 2020 17:17:00 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    I think there's a difference between dying of heart disease because you ate too many cheeseburgers and dying of a virus you caught because other people couldn't stay the fuck away from you while they were ill with said virus and should have been at home.
    Yeah, getting a heart attack because you lived an unhealthy life style is your problem. Endangering others because of your immature "fuck you you don't tell me what to do" attitude is another.

    If there had been decisive action and quick lockdowns everywhere, this wouldn't be such a problem now. If most governments were responsible and people were reasonable, this would be over much sooner. Neglect and idiocy is the main reason why this will do much more damage over a much longer time.
  • sport 26 May 2020 17:21:46 15,983 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1265032410909028353?s=20
    We basically live in Robocop now
    Let the mayor go, we'll even throw in a blaupunkt.
  • KnuttinAtoll 26 May 2020 17:28:33 8,135 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    You would hope though that voters will see that what Trump does/stands for is directly affecting them negatively, whereas Biden "just" said something stupid and insensitive (compare that to what Trump not just said, but actually did in the past 4 years).
    1) The problem is that their respective voter bases have different standards. In neo-Republican nihilism, their candidate can say or do whatever he wants and people will cheer him for that. Potential swing voters put off by that need a Democrat candidate who lives up to higher standards of moral and responsibility. If that candidate falls short, that's not good.

    Not voting at all is just plain idiotic in the current climate given what's at stake (especially for minorities in the US), and voters need to look at the bigger picture.
    2) It kinda is, but it would be much easier if Biden didn't try so hard to present himself as the lesser of two evils instead of an actually good candidate. He gives his opponents such an easy time. The Trump campaign could easily point out how offensive the "you ain't black" remark was and there's little to answer because it's true.

    If they don't, then, well... the population usually get the government they deserve. It's just unfortunate that with the US the rest of the world will suffer also as a result.
    3) But all the people who voted against don't deserve it. Especially if the majority voted for Clinton last time. The people of the US don't deserve Trump if only a minority of them voted for him.
    1) & 2) Oh I know, but in times like these people need to get over the fact that they may not get the 'perfect' candidate, and look at the bigger picture. Not cut their nose to spite their face.

    3) Voter turnout was 55%, so you can argue that a minority voted for Clinton. Similarly to Brexit, if a sizeable chunk of the population can't be bothered to vote at all, and another sizeable chunk votes for Trump/Leave, then I can feel sorry for the minority that didn't do either, but the country as a whole made a decision through a majority - either directly or indirectly. It was a deliberate generalisation on my part though, granted.
  • DrStrangelove 26 May 2020 17:49:23 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    1) & 2) Oh I know, but in times like these people need to get over the fact that they may not get the 'perfect' candidate, and look at the bigger picture. Not cut their nose to spite their face.
    And you're absolutely right and I agree. Although I would have a problem with voting for someone who's accused of sexual assault and shows a really bad attitude towards minorities, and about his history of dealing with minorities. If I was American, I would grudgingly vote for him because I'd have no choice. And I'd hate him for scaring away swing voters.

    3) Voter turnout was 55%, so you can argue that a minority voted for Clinton. Similarly to Brexit, if a sizeable chunk of the population can't be bothered to vote at all, and another sizeable chunk votes for Trump/Leave, then I can feel sorry for the minority that didn't do either, but the country as a whole made a decision through a majority - either directly or indirectly. It was a deliberate generalisation on my part though, granted.
    Yeah I totally get that. You could argue that an indifferent population got what they deserved. People who cared were screwed up by the electoral system really.

    But in the case of US elections, it feels like people got double screwed up. It wasn't only all the indifferent people not caring to vote, it was also a broken electoral system that allowed the loser of the popular vote to claim victory.

    edit: definitely not saying the British electoral system isn't fucked up too.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:52:48 26-05-2020
  • Your-Mother 26 May 2020 19:28:10 4,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He’s now throwing shade (or at least retweeting shade) at Biden for wearing a mask in public. If karma exists in any way shape or form he’ll get struck down with corona imminently.
  • nickthegun 26 May 2020 19:53:17 81,737 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If this year has shown us anything it’s that if he gets it, it will be the mutant strain that makes you immortal and gives you a 10 inch dick.

    Edited by nickthegun at 19:53:44 26-05-2020
  • DrStrangelove 26 May 2020 19:53:26 15,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Karma doesn't exist. Biden will get covid, Trump will not.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 May 2020 20:10:51 15,794 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have started to come to the revelation that the people in the 30-55 bracket are the ones most concerned.

    Essentially people with young children and elderly parents. People who are worried for loved ones.

    Many younger people are unconcerned as they are pretty much unaffected and some of the elderly are past caring and willing to risk it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 May 2020 20:38:52 12,727 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really want a cheeseburger. With bacon and mayo on it.
  • grey_matters 26 May 2020 20:58:59 5,264 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I really want a cheeseburger. With bacon and mayo on it.
    It seems to be contagious.
  • davidfowles 26 May 2020 23:01:37 138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    He’s now throwing shade (or at least retweeting shade) at Biden for wearing a mask in public. If karma exists in any way shape or form he’ll get struck down with corona imminently.
    If Karma was a thing, Trump wouldn’t be President in the first place.
  • KnuttinAtoll 26 May 2020 23:05:49 8,135 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I really want a cheeseburger. With bacon and mayo on it.
    It seems to be contagious.
    Someone call the MaCDC!
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.