Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1250

• anephric 26 May 2020 23:12:55 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only in America could wearing a face mask signify if you're a pinko commie liberty hater or a SOARING BALD EAGLE OF MAH SECOND AMENDMUNT FREEDUM.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mask-press-conference-today-diabetes-a9533856.html

Absolutely insane.

I N S A N E. Next it'll be washing your hands is like Stalin pissing on Jefferson's grave.
  • DrStrangelove 26 May 2020 23:23:08 15,207 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well yeah that's the official line. If you care about anything, you're a commie. If you take responsibility, you're just being politically correct.

May I add that Biden looks badass in a mask though.

• barchetta 27 May 2020 01:01:09 2,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Twitter finally taking steps to qualify Trump's flagrant disregard of facts.

BBC News - Twitter tags Trump tweet with fact-checking warning
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52815552
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 05:41:06 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As good as that is, I doubt it will do anything but cement his popularity.

Ban him.
  • Huggybear 27 May 2020 07:21:48 1,740 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Basically what Dumb Donald is saying is that it's his right as a candidate to lie to the electorate, but when a private enterprise tells the electorate he's lying, that's meddling in the election.

Trump lying = free speech
    Private enterprise claiming Trump is lying = illegal interference
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 07:34:20 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This will obviously hurt his precious ego. I wonder what the consequences will be? Executive order banning fact checking?
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 07:51:27 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If Twitter and Facebook would go bust today I'd crack open a bottle of Champs. Unfortunately they'll probably still standing when mankind is in ruins.
  • MrWonderstuff 27 May 2020 09:41:40 3,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll Like cockroaches.
  • barchetta 27 May 2020 09:45:15 2,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'd quite like to have seen a more garish warning - maybe called 'Fake Facts' in large ORANGE letters. That may play with more clarity to his crowd.
  • Mola_Ram 27 May 2020 09:54:53 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Ban him.
    Tbh I'd just ban all world leaders from using it, so it doesn't buy into their persecution complex. Obviously Trump is the most prominent Twitter bullshitter, but he's not the only one.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 10:07:40 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

Ban him.
    Tbh I'd just ban all world leaders from using it, so it doesn't buy into their persecution complex. Obviously Trump is the most prominent Twitter bullshitter, but he's not the only one.
    I find it pretty sad that a private US company - which limits messages to what... 140 or 280 chars or whatever it is these days - is now the preferred communication tool for worldwide politics. Hence my earlier comment.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 May 2020 10:14:54 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just wish Twitter would die. Its character limit has done more to harm political discourse than anything else in living memory. When you force complex issues into a tweet, any kind of subtlety or nuance gets lost. Reasoned debate goes out the window and everything devolves into people shouting at each other.

Only a tiny, tiny proportion of people are capable of Wildean wit in a single sentence. When most people try it, they just come over as cunts.

Back in the late '90s and early '00s, lots of people got excited about the potential for the internet to widen political discourse and make it more accessible to the general population. Maybe there genuinely was a window of opportunity there, but Twitter killed it stone dead.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 10:40:24 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's quite incredible how much power they have isn't it.
  • JamboWayOh 27 May 2020 11:42:16 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It definitely ties into the geocentric nature of our society and the overall gamification of discourse. It's not about being factually correct, it's about being liked, getting attention which in turn makes the person appear correct by virtue of people agreeing with them. You could say it's the ultimate evolution of the Internet

Although I did see Twitter got a woman fired last night but tbf her actions were abominable.
  • d_h1234 27 May 2020 12:02:15 282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    If Twitter and Facebook would go bust today I'd crack open a bottle of Champs. Unfortunately they'll probably still standing when mankind is in ruins.
    I have a feeling we're more likely to see a competing platform, similarly vapid and toxic, take their place as the new hip cool place to be.

So while the drooling masses might move off of Twitter and Facebook because they're so old hat and passe, social-networking as as it exists now with all it's ugliness will probably be with us forever.
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 12:04:08 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I just wish Twitter would die. Its character limit has done more to harm political discourse than anything else in living memory.
    Not so fast, Facebook is way, way, WAY worse.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-knew-algorithms-divided-users-execs-killed-fixes-report-2020-5?r=US&IR=T
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 12:06:06 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Although I did see Twitter got a woman fired last night but tbf her actions were abominable.
    Karen the dog owner?

Things like that are why I'm kind of OK with Twitter. It's very easy for anyone who wants to better understand how others lead their lives, to do so.

Facebook is more recommendation driven insular brain washing.
  • JamboWayOh 27 May 2020 12:09:10 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Karen the dog owner?

Things like that are why I'm kind of OK with Twitter. It's very easy for anyone who wants to better understand how others lead their lives, to do so.

Facebook is more recommendation driven insular brain washing.
    Yes, her. You start tearing apart the implications of her actions and it makes you despair at the ingrained racism in America.
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 12:15:57 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes. And there's so much of it. Saw a delivery guy, no wait, two different instances of delivery guys having the cops called on them for the temerity of delivering packages to white households.

That was it. White people going "I don't like the look of you! We've had plenty of break ins you know! I'll call the police!"

But that dog owner really showed the dirty underbelly of it all. And I think that's important. Just as it is for me (in tech business) to follow some female techies to see what kind of day to day bullshit they have to deal with.

"Social" media can be good, but it requires some work.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 12:23:24 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    d_h1234 wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    I have a feeling we're more likely to see a competing platform, similarly vapid and toxic, take their place as the new hip cool place to be.

So while the drooling masses might move off of Twitter and Facebook because they're so old hat and passe, social-networking as as it exists now with all it's ugliness will probably be with us forever.
    Sadly I think you're right on the money there.

Wife and I are dreaming about living in a house in the country, with no neighbours and as much off-grid as possible. Some day, if some moron leader doesn't kick off WW3 beforehand. Or the planet waving the white flag and packing it all in.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 12:26:54 27-05-2020
  • nickthegun 27 May 2020 12:27:23 82,290 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dunno if Iím reading too much into it, but the biggest worry to come out of this would seem to be that the police have managed to cultivate the idea that white people now see them as a racist hit squad.
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 12:32:55 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Yes. And there's so much of it. Saw a delivery guy, no wait, two different instances of delivery guys having the cops called on them for the temerity of delivering packages to white households.

That was it. White people going "I don't like the look of you! We've had plenty of break ins you know! I'll call the police!"

But that dog owner really showed the dirty underbelly of it all. And I think that's important. Just as it is for me (in tech business) to follow some female techies to see what kind of day to day bullshit they have to deal with.

"Social" media can be good, but it requires some work.
    The problem I have with social media is that the negatives by far outweigh the positives.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 27 May 2020 12:33:31 20,043 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Absolutely.

I wonder if thereís a legit case for her to be accused of attempted murder. The implications of that would be massive, but that was somewhat her intent.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 27 May 2020 12:34:26 20,043 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That was me agreeing with nick. I donít agree that the negatives of social media outweigh the positives.
  • nickthegun 27 May 2020 12:35:25 82,290 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yup. At the very least she wanted someone to fuck him up. She knows how that story ends.
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 12:39:36 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There was an article yesterday about how some police officers hate it when they are called out to investigate a "black man acting suspiciously".

Then another police officer killed George Floyd and I kind of stoped feeling sorry for them. Like you say, they are now seen as a weapon and white people know this.

As for the negatives outweighing the positives.. absolutely. And we're only seeing the beginning.

Edited by Tonka at 12:40:06 27-05-2020
  • Tonka 27 May 2020 12:45:56 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As if in cue, this showed up on Twitter
    https://www.aaronxrose.com/blog/alternatives-to-police
  • anephric 27 May 2020 12:57:36 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You only have to look at the Arbery case in Georgia (I know, I know) to see how fucked up and racist the justice system is in America.

Jogging through neighbourhood? Swarthy? Time for a completely premeditated shootin'. The nutters are connected to the local police department? No, we won't prosecute then.
  • JamboWayOh 27 May 2020 12:59:34 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dunno if Iím reading too much into it, but the biggest worry to come out of this would seem to be that the police have managed to cultivate the idea that white people now see them as a racist hit squad.
    Well, because they kind of are tbh. How many times do we keep hearing 'I feared for my life'?
  • KnuttinAtoll 27 May 2020 13:55:23 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    That was me agreeing with nick. I donít agree that the negatives of social media outweigh the positives.
    I will go and share my disappointment on Facebook. May the likes fly in!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.