Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1330

• You-can-call-me-kal 2 Jul 2020 10:33:17 20,043 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Could it not be a bit of malicious compliance / subversive design by the designer?
    If it is itís a fail, as his audience will love it.
  • Salaman 2 Jul 2020 10:37:02 23,838 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The excuse seems to be that its aping the marines logo which is also very similar. Im sure that is actually the case but fucking hell...
    Except the eagle looks left and is small, sitting atop a large globe.

• PazJohnMitch 2 Jul 2020 10:51:04 15,989 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am kind of reminded of a German guy I met in China (who was very much not a Nazi).

He really loved the Nazi iconography and design, particularly of vehicles. He was pissed off that the bad guys always seemed to have the best artists and that no sensible person would ever try and recreate Nazi designs. (He also really wanted one of the German WW2 motorbikes).
  • Steve-Perry 2 Jul 2020 10:54:35 1,483 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I am kind of reminded of a German guy I met in China (who was very much not a Nazi).

He really loved the Nazi iconography and design, particularly of vehicles. He was pissed off that the bad guys always seemed to have the best artists and that no sensible person would ever try and recreate Nazi designs. (He also really wanted one of the German WW2 motorbikes).
    https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/we-not-racist-leeds-cafe-18399015

This happened not long ago and was the talk of the town.

Long story short, owner is tattoo artist hipster wanker type, has vegan donut shop, turns out him and his wife are nazi's (she has swastika socks, he has tattoo's). His excuse was the old 'it's an ancient symbol'. I think he thought he was being edgy.

I'm still amazed national press didn't pick it up. It was a former black employee who called them out because she was being racially abused by some wanker manager there, who was no doubt emboldened by the nazi owners.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 10:55:08 02-07-2020
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 11:08:29 30,894 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The excuse seems to be that its aping the marines logo which is also very similar. Im sure that is actually the case but fucking hell...
    And it's not as if you can't use classic American iconography without ending up aping Nazis.

https://cdn.europosters.eu/image/750/posters/the-ramones-logo-b-w-i904.jpg
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 11:10:35 30,894 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Steve-Perry I saw a sarong wearing dude with flip-flops, and that Buddhist swastika thing tattooed on his upper arm.

Yes, it's a Buddhist thing, but still
  • Steve-Perry 2 Jul 2020 11:21:00 1,483 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Steve-Perry I saw a sarong wearing dude with flip-flops, and that Buddhist swastika thing tattooed on his upper arm.

If you go on twitter and search for it there are loads of damning images. For example he has the symbol for Degesch on his hand.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 2 Jul 2020 11:34:37 20,043 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thereís been lots written about how good the Nazis were at branding, and how the likes of VW and Hugo Boss played significant parts in that. I think fine to recognise and even admire their design principles at an intellectual level.
  • creepiest-lizard 2 Jul 2020 11:47:34 1,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't Frankie Boyle say that UKIP were Nazis but without the style?
  • General_Martok 2 Jul 2020 11:51:04 1,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

But still what? It is actually a symbol that's been used for thousands of years and it is an important symbol in many Hindu and Buddhist based religions.

It's kind of like the christian cross being used by the KKK. Does that mean that everyone that wears a cross is a klan member?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 2 Jul 2020 12:00:07 20,043 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Buddhist swastika is pretty different to be honest. Itís isnít angled or heavily weighted, it has dots inside and curved tapered ends. And isnít red and black. I personally donít get triggered by the Buddhist one when I see it.
  • General_Martok 2 Jul 2020 12:02:53 1,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • creepiest-lizard 2 Jul 2020 12:06:33 1,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just googled the Buddhist image and..I don't know, I understand it's been around for thousands of years and all that but that image is so fundamentally loaded now that it's impossible to extricate it from its negative conatations. I'm aware though, that I'm not Jewish and don't necessarily have the right to comment on its difficulty.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Jul 2020 12:10:29 1,483 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I think in context sure, if you're a designer or something or historian and want to examine them. But the donut bloke wasn't doing that, he was trying to be an edgelord and got busted.
  • General_Martok 2 Jul 2020 12:10:29 1,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know what you mean but it's because we've been conditioned to associate the Swastika with evil in the west because of the Nazi use of that symbol.

I've been bought up as a Hindu and we use it all the time and even I find it off putting seeing it on doors around Diwali and in temples but I just have to remind myself that it has nothing to do with the Nazi's, they just co-opted it.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Jul 2020 13:24:51 15,989 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I first went to India it was a bit of a shock seeing lots of swastikas in the arrivals lounge at the airport.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2020 13:29:01 82,289 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On balance, a country of a billion Hindus can probably get away with using it still
  • sport 2 Jul 2020 13:34:53 16,107 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    God, imagine if the Nazis had allied with the billion Hindu army /o\
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jul 2020 13:35:01 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thereís definitely a difference between its use in the countries and cultures it came from and a greasy edgelord white European hipster feigning of its indelible associations with the Nazis in the west
  • beastmaster 2 Jul 2020 13:48:44 20,912 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They are at different angles as well and different colours. Should be obvious they are not the same thing.

Didnít some guys get fired from a pizza place for arranging the pepperonis into a swastika?
  • JamboWayOh 2 Jul 2020 13:54:05 19,988 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    They are at different angles as well and different colours. Should be obvious they are not the same thing.

Didnít some guys get fired from a pizza place for arranging the pepperonis into a swastika?
    I believe that was fake news as the kids call it.
  • Psychotext 2 Jul 2020 14:18:28 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I believe that was fake news as the kids call it.
    Might want to tell that to the two employees that got fired for doing it...
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 14:40:57 30,894 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 14:57:04 30,894 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

But still what? It is actually a symbol that's been used for thousands of years and it is an important symbol in many Hindu and Buddhist based religions.

It's kind of like the christian cross being used by the KKK. Does that mean that everyone that wears a cross is a klan member?
    I don't get why people in Sweden would find it so important to tattoo something that most people will think of as a nazi symbol. I know it's not but my kids thought it was. I imagine a lot of people will.

Just get a lotus or a buddha or whatever.

And I know some of them look more different from the swastika than others, but if you met me in a t-shirt with an exact copy of this one https://imgur.com/a/T8dN4nd would you think buddhist or neo-nazi?
  • MrWorf 2 Jul 2020 15:31:35 63,812 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You can kind of see how designers can sleepwalk into using the auschwitz uniform for modern clothes lines but this is straight up nazi iconography.
    Nah, it's literally a stock image

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/emblems-with-eagles-and-usa-flags-design-element-vector-27835066
  • MrWorf 2 Jul 2020 15:32:47 63,812 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh they have other less Nazi ones:

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/set-emblems-with-eagles-and-usa-flags-design-vector-28646128
  • General_Martok 2 Jul 2020 15:39:21 1,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

I don't get why people in Sweden would find it so important to tattoo something that most people will think of as a nazi symbol. I know it's not but my kids thought it was. I imagine a lot of people will.

Just get a lotus or a buddha or whatever.

And I know some of them look more different from the swastika than others, but if you met me in a t-shirt with an exact copy of this one https://imgur.com/a/T8dN4nd would you think buddhist or neo-nazi?
    If you looked like that guy I'd say buddhist :)
  • Tuffty 2 Jul 2020 16:22:29 4,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pres. Trump: "Other places were long before us, and they're now, it's a life, it's got a life, and we're putting out that life, 'cause that's a bad life that we're talking about." https://t.co/4noCmRri8X

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1278686839210233859?s=19

He's getting worse right?
  • Psychotext 2 Jul 2020 16:47:41 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think it'll be a blessing for him when he loses in November. At least he can get treated properly then.

Well, unless he ends up in jail (I bet the dementia is front an centre in his defense though).
  • barchetta 2 Jul 2020 17:05:28 2,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Reading that Leeds Live article the 'Nazi Donuts Fuck Off' graffiti had me humming an old Dead Kennedys fave...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.