Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1354

  • L0cky 31 Jul 2020 11:31:10 2,054 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm starting to think he actually wants to lose the election but wants to be able to claim he didn't.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 11:40:16 15,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The second half of that sentence is a given. Not sure about the first half. More likely he simply cannot accept that people would prefer someone else.

    External forces (Putin) will definitely want Trump to contest the result as it will destabilise America. Whether or not Putin planted the seed though is not known.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2020 12:13:56 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think he realises that there's a greater than zero chance that he goes to jail once he's out of office... and that's going to be terrifying him.
  • DJCopa 31 Jul 2020 12:23:52 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psychotext His bone spurs will play havoc in a damp cell.
  • L0cky 31 Jul 2020 13:35:21 2,054 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I think he realises that there's a greater than zero chance that he goes to jail once he's out of office... and that's going to be terrifying him.
    Given his history, the failed Russia probe, the failed impeachment, and just generally getting away with everything throughout his life, I wouldn't be surprised if he considers himself invincible.

    Realistically though, he's probably right - his legal lackeys will pull him through yet again and nothing will happen to him, especially after public interest wains when he isn't the sitting president anymore.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2020 13:48:31 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With today's news about Mar-a-Lago being involved in the Maxwell / Epstein sex trafficking case, I doubt he's feeling particularly invulnerable.

    I mean, I guess he is in reality, but we can still hope.
  • Dirtbox 31 Jul 2020 14:04:53 91,412 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I have a concern.

    With trump pandering to the military with huge sums of money being promised to them, who exactly will be willing to remove him from office when the day comes? And who's to say they don't choose to protect him, military dictator style.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2020 14:06:33 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doesn't matter if he leaves or not. He automatically loses power anyway.

    The white house is just a building, not some medieval castle. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 14:18:09 15,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I have a concern.

    With trump pandering to the military with huge sums of money being promised to them, who exactly will be willing to remove him from office when the day comes? And who's to say they don't choose to protect him, military dictator style.
    Surely that is the plan.
  • Rodney 31 Jul 2020 14:35:13 4,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The problem with this argument is that for the last 4-5 years, everyone has said "Trump cant do X", yet he keeps doing x.

    I know the constitution was written by God, but what happens if the president can be politically shielded from any legal action while in offic and faces immediate prosecution once he leaves office. What kinds of perverse incentives might this create?
  • Rodney 31 Jul 2020 14:36:32 4,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is pretty funny

    https://youtu.be/4TogbPPyQQM
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 14:46:37 15,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    The problem with this argument is that for the last 4-5 years, everyone has said "Trump cant do X", yet he keeps doing x.
    Precisely.

    Pretty much all the checks and balances are worthless if everyone surrounding the President is complicit.
  • L0cky 31 Jul 2020 14:48:18 2,054 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    With today's news about Mar-a-Lago being involved in the Maxwell / Epstein sex trafficking case, I doubt he's feeling particularly invulnerable.

    I mean, I guess he is in reality, but we can still hope.
    I think one thing we've learnt over the past 4 years of Trump is that "today's news" is tomorrow's yesterday's news :/
  • L0cky 31 Jul 2020 14:58:33 2,054 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    The problem with this argument is that for the last 4-5 years, everyone has said "Trump cant do X", yet he keeps doing x.
    Precisely.

    Pretty much all the checks and balances are worthless if everyone surrounding the President is complicit.
    He basically shone a torch on the fact that so much of presidential convention is based on tradition and expectation rather than actual law, but thankfully constitutional law on presidential terms is really clear and final, the presidency expires on January 20th at noon.

    I can't see any way Trump could convince military leaders to commit treason, so I think that scenario isn't remotely on the cards.

    Edited by L0cky at 14:59:38 31-07-2020
  • AcidSnake 31 Jul 2020 15:01:54 8,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    This is pretty funny

    https://youtu.be/4TogbPPyQQM
    Is that Stephen Root playing the dad?
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jul 2020 15:46:00 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    The problem with this argument is that for the last 4-5 years, everyone has said "Trump cant do X", yet he keeps doing x.
    Precisely.

    Pretty much all the checks and balances are worthless if everyone surrounding the President is complicit.
    Well, a lot of the "checks and balances" have been revealed to be just norms of behaviour that he's happily trampled on.

    But he hasn't gotten everything he's wanted either, and he doesn't get to decide when the election is held.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2020 15:51:58 25,598 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd love to see him dragged out of there by force.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2020 16:05:08 67,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    He basically shone a torch on the fact that so much of presidential convention is based on tradition and expectation rather than actual law, but thankfully constitutional law on presidential terms is really clear and final, the presidency expires on January 20th at noon.
    At which point, assuming he's managed to somehow delay the election... Pelosi becomes president.

    He'd fucking love that. lol
  • MrWonderstuff 31 Jul 2020 16:19:36 3,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rodney The Lincoln Project - I can't get my head around these cutting pieces of advertising are by Republicans.
  • Kronos 31 Jul 2020 16:28:58 781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'd love to see him dragged out of there by force.
    in tiny handcuffs.

    Edited by Kronos at 11:34:40 01-08-2020
  • disusedgenius 31 Jul 2020 16:30:50 10,545 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @Rodney The Lincoln Project - I can't get my head around these cutting pieces of advertising are by Republicans.
    Character assassination by advert is pretty much a Republican speciality. As soon as Trump is gone you can be sure where their guns will be aiming next.
  • L0cky 31 Jul 2020 16:32:58 2,054 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @Rodney The Lincoln Project - I can't get my head around these cutting pieces of advertising are by Republicans.
    I love their ads, and they restore some of my faith in humanity. Shit, Biden could just stay in his basement with no campaign funds and The Lincoln Project could win it for him. Republicans literally asking Republicans to vote Biden.
  • Khanivor 31 Jul 2020 17:59:31 44,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I have a concern.

    With trump pandering to the military with huge sums of money being promised to them, who exactly will be willing to remove him from office when the day comes? And who's to say they don't choose to protect him, military dictator style.
    Well, seeing as Trump has said heíll veto the militaryís budget if, as the military wants, it contains provisions to rename bases currently named after traitors, it seems Trump isnít thinking things through again
  • MrWonderstuff 31 Jul 2020 18:06:18 3,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @L0cky They have even admitted as much in a recent interview. They want people to vote for Biden.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2020 19:23:11 15,207 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @L0cky They have even admitted as much in a recent interview. They want people to vote for Biden.
    Yeah because there are still actual pro-civilisation conservatives out there. There are principled, respectable people on both sides.

    Being someone who broadly fits into the "democratic socialist" pidgeonhole, I've tried to think of a situation where the roles were reversed; and yeah if it was Hugo Chavez vs Mitt Romney, I'd beg everyone to vote Romney.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2020 19:29:52 15,207 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dirtbox

    I do believe that most US generals still have a sense of duty and commitment to constitution and democracy that they won't support a coup, even if they personally sympathise with Trump's policy.
  • Technoishmatt 31 Jul 2020 19:50:17 4,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dont think top brass support trump at all. He has pulled out of Germany and Syria, not challenged Putin, made them look fools, and insulted veterans p
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2020 20:04:36 15,207 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I mean, there are people like Kelly who are strongly in favour of his anti-immigration line for example, but yeah I guess the shit he's done with Turkey, Korea, Germany, Russia probably alienates even them.
  • MrWonderstuff 31 Jul 2020 20:14:58 3,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I dont think top brass support trump at all. He has pulled out of Germany and Syria, not challenged Putin, made them look fools, and insulted veterans p
    More importantly he hasn't done anything about the Russians paying Taliban to kill US soldiers. Hate to be there knowing the President is actively not supporting you (and is, you could argue, condoning it).
  • Tonka 31 Jul 2020 22:41:25 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm starting to think Trump will drop out of the election.

    "You can't fire me, I quit!"
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.