Following Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1401

• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Sep 2020 08:42:21 14,876 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Also, telling white supremacist groups to "stand by" and calling for "poll watchers"... yeah, expect bloodshed at the election.
    Its straight out of the Eastern European paranoid strongman playbook.

I’m genuinely fearful that we will see lives lost on polling day.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Sep 2020 08:50:23 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    trump is a much better speaker than biden, which is staggering given the wacky shit trump comes out with.
    Three things:

1) It's much easier to spout out random short sentences that a 5 year old would be able to construct. Even more so if pretty much all is made up bullshit, lies and insults

2) It's much harder to keep your composure if you keep getting interrupted while at the same time discussing relatively detailed, technical topics

3) Let's not forget that Biden has to manage/suppress his stutter condition on top of the above

Trump doesn't have a single redeeming feature - and that includes "speaking" (you could argue 'useful idiot' is one but I'm sure there'd be better individuals that are not as blatantly idiotic).

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 08:52:01 30-09-2020
  • Tonka 30 Sep 2020 08:58:48 31,182 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The whole debacle seems to have been a double sided swing and miss.

I read one good point though, Trump didn't manage to change course, and according to the polls (lolyeahIknow) he's slipping behind. He needed to bring something new to the table, but all we got was Trump being trumpish and Biden talking to the viewer.

Trumps line of attack seems to be "But you haven't done anything in 47 years" and I don't know if that the smartest tactic.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Sep 2020 08:59:45 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Biden is too old and doddery, but considering that he did what he could. I don't know what a younger candidate could've done much differently, other than being more aggressive - not sure if this would've been any better.

Agree that there's probably not much point in having any more debates - though I'm eager to see the VP one, not that it matters much either.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2020 09:00:03 83,331 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its the 'if you argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience' thing.

I suppose Biden is used to actual political discourse whereas Trump is just used to screaming at people until he gets what he wants. Like if you trained all your life to be a boxer and got into a fight where the opponent kept kicking you in the balls.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:00:28 30-09-2020
  • Load_2.0 30 Sep 2020 09:03:25 32,182 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Haha that analogy tickled me.
  • Tonka 30 Sep 2020 09:19:04 31,182 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why not just turn Trumps microphone off when it isn't his turn?
  • Rogueywon 30 Sep 2020 09:19:27 9,485 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A bit like National Review's summary of the debate:

Biden came to win a debate, and Trump came to win WrestleMania.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Sep 2020 09:19:34 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried to watch the debate, and made it to about 40 minutes. It's just too much - Trump seems to have taken 70% of the airtime, either by droning on or constantly interrupting Biden, and the host.

I was sort of looking forward to this (from a purely entertainment perspective, sad as that is) but I just can't watch this trainwreck.

Best to stick to the summaries/post-mortem discussions instead.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2020 09:21:56 83,331 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Again, this was the format of a political debate and the moderators didnt, for some reason, take into account one of the participants is a human garbage fire.

I imagine the next one will have a mute button.
  • Jono62 30 Sep 2020 09:22:31 25,760 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When is Pence vs Harris? I'm looking forward to watching that one.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Sep 2020 09:23:42 21,097 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's obvious that Trump doesn't care for a moderator, after being rimmed for 4 years by his own sycophants anyone telling him to follow some customary rules is an annoyance.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2020 09:24:15 83,331 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If nothing else, one of the reasons I want Biden to win is that I want to go back to knowing absolutely nothing about American politics.

I dont want to know who the post master general is, I dont want to know who the education secretary is, I dont want to know about the stupid electoral college or what a PAC is. Im absolutely fucking sick of it.
  • sport 30 Sep 2020 09:24:42 16,342 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Again, this was the format of a political debate and the moderators didnt, for some reason, take into account one of the participants is a human garbage fire.

I imagine the next one will have a mute button.
    Are you crazy? It's all about the ratings. Next debate will probably have a half time show.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2020 09:29:08 83,331 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Derblington 30 Sep 2020 09:34:22 34,075 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Except Trump would use those kids from the Netflix twerking thing.
  • captbirdseye 30 Sep 2020 09:34:46 9,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That was some next level WWE trash talk show. I was half accepting Stone Cold to break through the walls and Stunner both of them.
  • danplatt 30 Sep 2020 09:36:27 1 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @nickthegun absolutely, that's exactly how I feel!
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Sep 2020 09:41:00 8,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If nothing else, one of the reasons I want Biden to win is that I want to go back to knowing absolutely nothing about American politics.

I dont want to know who the post master general is, I dont want to know who the education secretary is, I dont want to know about the stupid electoral college or what a PAC is. Im absolutely fucking sick of it.
    I feel the same, not just with the US but the UK as well. Pre-2015, I knew fuck all about the who-and-how in both countries from a political perspective, it was a more innocent time for me personally.

I also don't think that things will simply get 'better' with Biden as president.

Not only is the white supremacist-and-general-conspiracy-nutter genie out of the bottle, but Biden's 'Buy American' mantra is somewhat worrying also from an international perspective.

Not sure to what extent he'll follow it through, or whether he's just hunting for more "centrist"(read - firmly rightwing by international standards) Republicans.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Sep 2020 09:41:16 21,097 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Except Trump would use those kids from the Netflix twerking thing.
    He loves their 'beautiful energy'.
  • frightlever 30 Sep 2020 12:30:45 1,512 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Not only is the white supremacist-and-general-conspiracy-nutter genie out of the bottle, but Biden's 'Buy American' mantra is somewhat worrying also from an international perspective.
    Let's not forget Bernie banged the same drum. He's a union man that wants good American jobs for Americans.

While this was Trump's mantra also, he gave tax breaks to corporations so they could automate and reduce jobs or take the time to move jobs overseas. The jobs created weren't high-paying union but low-paying, non-union assembly jobs, putting together kits of parts from Japanese and German car companies.

Meanwhile the roots of the worst is yet to come for the rest of the world.

Trump boasted about appointing 300 judges - because the GOP senate blocked Obama's judicial appointments at every opportunity. That and Trump's three Supreme Court justices means an extremely conservative legislature for decades.

In and of itself a US with its head in the 1950s, contrary to majority opinion, isn't a direct problem for us in the UK, but the next time the GOP gets control they'll start parlaying influence in exchange for more conservative-friendly policies here.

I'd like to think that we're too level-headed here for it to take root, but even while staid old Anglicanism is dying out, Christian fundamentalism is actually on the rise in the UK. Still small numbers for now but the year on year growth is even higher than for Islam.
  • Baihu1983 30 Sep 2020 12:35:55 12,850 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    72 interruptions by trump
  • beastmaster 30 Sep 2020 12:46:39 21,395 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    72 interruptions by trump
    Tremendous numbers! Didn’t expect anything else.

Edited by beastmaster at 12:46:51 30-09-2020
  • Steve-Perry 30 Sep 2020 12:50:02 2,040 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The clown comment was excellent.

I've only seen the Match of the Day highlights version, but Trump just looked like an idiot, ranting and raving. Biden didn't seem that bothered, he needs to keep that up. Just laugh at him like everyone else is.

He's still going to win though isn't he, the fat orange disgrace.
  • Tuffty 30 Sep 2020 13:02:16 4,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I fear Trump’s endless shouting down and noise, refusal to listen, insults, will be perceived by some swing voters as ‘strength’. Biden refusing to play the same game might be seen as unable to properly reply to his comments. Fact is this is how the 2016 debates played out too and he still won.
  • RobAnybody 30 Sep 2020 13:07:24 2,330 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let's assume that Biden wins, he's going to have one hell of a job bringing everyone together and somehow getting more people on his side. An even tougher job will be addressing those who still support Trump - can he somehow get them on his side or are they a lost cause?
  • Rogueywon 30 Sep 2020 13:07:33 9,485 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    I fear Trump’s endless shouting down and noise, refusal to listen, insults, will be perceived by some swing voters as ‘strength’. Biden refusing to play the same game might be seen as unable to properly reply to his comments. Fact is this is how the 2016 debates played out too and he still won.
    Yeah, this is why I would chalk last night up, in so far as it matters at all, as a narrow win for Trump. But I honestly don't think it does matter. The impact of the debates is arguably over-rated anyway. At the time in 2016, almost everybody chalked them up as wins for Clinton. Obama and Bush Jnr were both rubbish debaters and both won elections twice.
  • Steve-Perry 30 Sep 2020 13:10:25 2,040 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Did the VP debate swing it for Obama too? That Palin was an absolute muppet from what I remember.
  • Nanocrystal 30 Sep 2020 13:14:54 2,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Palin did WAY better than everyone expected in her debate. I remember being quite disappointed by it.
  • Steve-Perry 30 Sep 2020 13:23:50 2,040 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Ah right. Well maybe there's an opportunity anyway for Harris to make Palin look a chump. Can't be that hard.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.