Following Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1643

• Joey_Deacon 13 Jan 2021 21:54:18 22 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Won't the ultimate end result be exactly the same as before? ie everyone just votes along party lines and the cunt gets off?
    It's all about politics, today was always about starting the impeachment process and that was never in question - in that light its not surprising that few Republicans broke rank - why take the risk ?

The real battle is in the Senate, Mitch is making some mutterings abound convicting without nailing his colours to a mast. It's really about him buying some time, surveying the damage and making a call on whether dumping Trump now makes it more difficult to win in the '22 mid terms.

I think the Republicans would love to get shot of Trump as he's a dangerous liability, but they are so far down the QAnon / "patriot" / fascist path it's difficult to see how they can get rid of Don without splitting their party and consigning themselves to irrelevance for the foreseeable future.

As such, I guess they'll decide not to convict but as we've already seen, its a faustian pact the GOP has signed with the Tea Party mob. It's easy to see a rerun of this within the next 5 years but even more nasty next time.
  • Malek86 13 Jan 2021 21:54:57 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, they don't have anywhere near enough of a majority for that. It probably won't go anywhere, again.

On the other hand, I read that an impeached Trump can't pardon anyone while waiting for his trial? If so, that makes it worth continuing just for that.

Edited by Malek86 at 21:55:49 13-01-2021
  • RobAnybody 13 Jan 2021 21:56:38 2,845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Well the Dems have the senate now so a vote will see Trump convicted.
    Senate vote isn't a majority vote though, they need two thirds to convict.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Jan 2021 21:58:33 16,554 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Impeached.

5% of Republicans voted for it. Weak as fuck.
    But with 10 Republicans voting to impeach that makes it the most bipartisan impeachment in history I believe. That's quite something, the 10 Republicans deserve some praise, but the rest of the Republicans in the House are no more than gutless traitors.
    Trump’s previous impeachment was the previous most bipartisan impeachment. He is the only president that has ever had a person of his own party vote for his removal.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jan 2021 22:01:13 25,155 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, that would have happened to Nixon, had he not resigned. Still, they had to do it this time, even if not enough Republicans vote for him to be removed.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 22:05:27 13-01-2021
  • Frogofdoom 13 Jan 2021 22:04:01 17,220 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RobAnybody yes but a majority will prevent him running in the nexr election.
  • RobAnybody 13 Jan 2021 22:05:13 2,845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @RobAnybody yes but a majority will prevent him running in the nexr election.
    That's a separate vote I believe, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: ah yes:

"The Constitution says that the Senate, after voting to convict an impeached president, can consider “disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States.” This would be determined by a second vote, requiring only a simple majority of senators to successfully disqualify him from holding office in the future. Such a vote could be appealing not just to Democrats but also possibly to many Republicans who have set their sights on the presidency."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/would-impeachment-prevent-trump-from-seeking-office-in-the-future-its-complicated.html

Edited by RobAnybody at 22:09:29 13-01-2021
  • monkman76 13 Jan 2021 22:10:32 17,700 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    What I'm finding really weird about these impeachment proceedings is there are republicans defending Donald Trump's right to send a group of armed terrorists into the seat of government with the sole intention of killing anyone they perceived as disloyal or an enemy of Donald Trump.

They brought guns, bombs, gas masks, body armour, ziptie cuff links, enemies lists, they built gallows for mike pence. They had people in the group who knew the layout of the building and knew where to go, panic alarms buttons were removed, any police or national guard response was either delayed or outright refused, Donald Trump replaced key people in the DOD in the weeks leading up to this "event" with Trump sycophants.

These terrorists even planted bombs at both the republican and democratic party buildings to draw off what was left of the completely inadequate police presence. Then you have the whole situation of the capitol police taking selfies with the terrorists, letting them in in the first place and....well you could just go on and on about the entire day.
    Apologies for the slight tangent, but I haven't read much of the deeper analysis on what happened last week. If all the above is true, then how come the assault was such an abject failure? I don't think they actually achieved anything for their cause did they?
  • RobAnybody 13 Jan 2021 22:16:03 2,845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting observation from Jake Tapper:

"232 a rather unlucky number for Trump.

Number of votes to impeach him in the most bipartisan impeachment vote in US history

Number of electoral votes in his loss to Joe Biden"

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1349478829530771456
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Jan 2021 22:20:59 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Decks ah thanks...a big ask then.
  • Decks 13 Jan 2021 22:21:35 28,417 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    dsmx wrote:
    What I'm finding really weird about these impeachment proceedings is there are republicans defending Donald Trump's right to send a group of armed terrorists into the seat of government with the sole intention of killing anyone they perceived as disloyal or an enemy of Donald Trump.

They brought guns, bombs, gas masks, body armour, ziptie cuff links, enemies lists, they built gallows for mike pence. They had people in the group who knew the layout of the building and knew where to go, panic alarms buttons were removed, any police or national guard response was either delayed or outright refused, Donald Trump replaced key people in the DOD in the weeks leading up to this "event" with Trump sycophants.

These terrorists even planted bombs at both the republican and democratic party buildings to draw off what was left of the completely inadequate police presence. Then you have the whole situation of the capitol police taking selfies with the terrorists, letting them in in the first place and....well you could just go on and on about the entire day.
    Apologies for the slight tangent, but I haven't read much of the deeper analysis on what happened last week. If all the above is true, then how come the assault was such an abject failure? I don't think they actually achieved anything for their cause did they?
    Because they're fucking dipshits.
  • monkman76 13 Jan 2021 22:23:59 17,700 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phew
  • grey_matters 13 Jan 2021 22:26:22 5,377 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Impeached.

But with 10 Republicans voting to impeach that makes it the most bipartisan impeachment in history I believe. That's quite something, the 10 Republicans deserve some praise, but the rest of the Republicans in the House are no more than gutless traitors.
    Trump’s previous impeachment was the previous most bipartisan impeachment. He is the only president that has ever had a person of his own party vote for his removal.
    I think 5 Democrats went against Clinton.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 22:36:33 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Getting anywhere in DC right now seems... uhh... tricky.

• Mola_Ram 13 Jan 2021 22:39:45 25,155 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Because they're fucking dipshits.
    Just on this note, I think that's also a good enough explanation for why the capitol police didn't respond more effectively, at least at first. No conspiracy required, they were probably just incompetent and unprepared.

(also it helps that the rioters weren't brown)
  • Decks 13 Jan 2021 22:43:58 28,417 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah there was definitely complicity from some of them. There's videos of them opening gates and ushering people in.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Jan 2021 22:45:11 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Psychotext nah fuckit, let the 'deplorables' march on the Capitol again and get shot to pieces.
  • RobAnybody 13 Jan 2021 22:45:25 2,845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Impeached.

I think 5 Democrats went against Clinton.
    That's right, and now 10 Republicans have gone against Trump. That appears to be a new record.
  • Stuz359 13 Jan 2021 22:53:44 361 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can he still pardon himself?
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2021 22:55:31 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Only after he farts in a lift
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Jan 2021 23:00:13 10,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So is he going to quit tonight? Will allow Pence to pardon him
  • X201 13 Jan 2021 23:07:20 21,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    So is he going to quit tonight? Will allow Pence to pardon him
    If you were Pence though, after five years of having to tread in Trumps crap... ‘of course I’ll pardon you Donald’ as you cross your fingers, arms, legs and look at the ceiling
  • Nexus_6 13 Jan 2021 23:08:47 5,685 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't think I have ever really heard Pelosi speak before today. All I can think of when she is on screen just now is
    'take this thing back to Baltimore'

Toughens your nipples, doesn't it?

Edited by Nexus_6 at 23:09:03 13-01-2021
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2021 23:09:19 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If pence made it this far, he will bend over for him again.
  • Rodney 13 Jan 2021 23:09:36 4,871 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If Pence isn’t willing to do a 25th (or whatever the right verb is), surely he wouldn’t betray Trump by not pardoning him. Which is weird considering Trump incited a mob to try and hang him.

I find it really hard to work out Republicans thinking. They operate on different logic.
  • boo 13 Jan 2021 23:15:25 13,653 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I can see a number of Republicans doing the right thing. Trump, and his way of thinking, is now ingrained in the Republican party. Last week, his son said "This is no longer the Republican party, it's Donald Trump's Republican party." and he had a point.

I think there will be a number of longstanding GOP members who would want to start a 'new' Republican party that puts clear distance between themselves and Trumpism (and wouldn't hurt themselves if they broke links with the NRA at the same time).

That way, Trump, even if he's just a figurehead, can keep his faithful, while most sensible Republicans (and I think a good number of them are) can start again afresh with a more centre-right party.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jan 2021 23:22:51 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol, sensible republicans...
  • Your-Mother 13 Jan 2021 23:26:59 6,203 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trump’s put out a video that’s clearly a lawyer going “you need to distance yourself from this shit and stop provoking people.”
  • Trowel 13 Jan 2021 23:27:47 24,077 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The first time in 4 years he's sounded vaguely presidential, and all it took was inciting a mob to storm the Capitol, a 2nd impeachment, and - most of all - his Twitter account being shut down.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1349492130578919425
  • elstoof 13 Jan 2021 23:28:27 26,644 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nonsense, he’ll be dropped like a hot shit the moment he’s out of office and everyone will have some sensational tell-all to keep their profiles riding as high as possible
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.