Following Donald Trump, first orange US President Page 1644

• JamboWayOh 13 Jan 2021 23:33:14 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I can see a number of Republicans doing the right thing. Trump, and his way of thinking, is now ingrained in the Republican party. Last week, his son said "This is no longer the Republican party, it's Donald Trump's Republican party." and he had a point.

I think there will be a number of longstanding GOP members who would want to start a 'new' Republican party that puts clear distance between themselves and Trumpism (and wouldn't hurt themselves if they broke links with the NRA at the same time).

That way, Trump, even if he's just a figurehead, can keep his faithful, while most sensible Republicans (and I think a good number of them are) can start again afresh with a more centre-right party.
    I'm going to quote this for posterity when we try to identify who these mysterious good number of sensible republicans are, especiallywhen they've spent the last 4 years absolutely silent, been totally okay with kids being separated from their parents, the demonisation of immigrants, islamaphobia, homophobia, transphobia, anti a woman's right to choose, shit the list just goes on.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2021 23:55:58 69,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "Like all of you, I was shocked and deeply saddened by the calamity at the Capitol last week."
    I assume the calamity was them failing to get the coup done?
  • boo 14 Jan 2021 00:09:28 13,653 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

I don't disagree - millions upon millions of Republicans have behaved in a despicable fashion, but I do think there's a good number that aren't complete morons. I do think the next few years will see the right separate into two distinct groups.

I could be wrong though.
  • Ddanno 14 Jan 2021 00:33:14 1,758 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I had no idea this guy existed. Is he always like that? Must check out his stuff.
    He's essentially a barking anus of hate and needs to be starved of direct attention so try not to add traffic to his platforms.

If you want to know more without directly lending him hits, Jon Ronson has done some interesting stuff on him.
    THEM is a very good read
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2021 00:35:22 14,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    "Like all of you, I was shocked and deeply saddened by the calamity at the Capitol last week."
    I assume the calamity was them failing to get the coup done?
    I canít work out if he was shocked and deeply saddened before or after telling them live on TV afterwards that he loves them and that he understands why they were doing it?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 00:35:58 16,065 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychopath Test too

And everyone should be made to read So Youíve Been Publicly Shamed before opening a social media account
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 00:36:36 16,065 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the calamity was the low class of their dress
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2021 01:24:48 25,155 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boo wrote:
    @JamboWayOh

I don't disagree - millions upon millions of Republicans have behaved in a despicable fashion, but I do think there's a good number that aren't complete morons. I do think the next few years will see the right separate into two distinct groups.

I could be wrong though.
    I think you are wrong - the current rot is pretty entrenched, and I don't think a single setback is going to be enough to reverse it - but I hope you're not wrong. Good government needs good opposition, so having a not-completely-insane Republican party is good for the country.
  • beastmaster 14 Jan 2021 01:45:56 21,841 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I had no idea this guy existed. Is he always like that? Must check out his stuff.
    He's essentially a barking anus of hate and needs to be starved of direct attention so try not to add traffic to his platforms.

If you want to know more without directly lending him hits, Jon Ronson has done some interesting stuff on him.
    THEM is a very good read
    I watched about 30 seconds of the gay frog segment and had enough.
  • Tuffty 14 Jan 2021 06:45:16 4,763 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    House of representatives impeaches him again. The only president to have it done twice. All that winning, must be exhausting.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Jan 2021 06:49:58 13,588 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    @JamboWayOh

I could be wrong though.
    Do you still think Brexit was a good idea?
  • Dirtbox 14 Jan 2021 07:02:32 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The only thing that matters is while the republicans won't remove him, but they will keep him from running for office again. The house republicans are irrelevant, it's the senate who will convict him, and he'll be out of office by then.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Jan 2021 07:04:29 10,806 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    So is he going to quit tonight? Will allow Pence to pardon him
    Of course he isnít past Grax... the orange one thinks being president is his right and that isnít going to change now.
  • Rodney 14 Jan 2021 08:35:22 4,871 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, does McConnell not reconvening the senate early indicate a higher chance of the senate voting to support impeachment?

At first I thought it signalled McConnell being obstructionist because he doesnít support inpeachment - which might still be the case.

But by delaying it, the Dems will need fewer Republican Senate votes (because the Senate will flip to a Dem majority), and it might reduce the political cost to Republican senators who support impeachment - because it wonít be a vote to remove a sitting President.

Can Trump be compelled to attend the Senate hearing?
  • Rodney 14 Jan 2021 08:36:21 4,871 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do the Dems have more damming evidence that they are holding back and using for leverage?

Iím so intrigued by all this.
  • Dirtbox 14 Jan 2021 08:44:03 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I explained it a few pages ago.

Dirtbox wrote:
    So Mitch will not agree to bring the senate back early, meaning a senate trial won't happen until the early days of Biden's presidency. So trump will be impeached today but his trial won't be until after the inauguration.

That sets the republicans up to convict, but not remove, which is the only reason a bunch of house reps didn't vote to impeach.

There are already 20 senate republicans who were willing to convict before Mitch voiced his support for impeachment behind closed doors and more will now be open to it because they won't be responsible for removing him, only being left with deciding whether he should be allowed to hold public office in the future.

Seems like a neat little stitch up from the GOP that thumbs it's nose at the dems while simultaneously allowing them the final say, because the GOP will no longer be the majority when the inditement goes down.

Convoluted, but very interesting and frankly a little bit shit, but this way at least trump is very unlikely to be able to make a comeback.
    No, the dems don't seem to have anything else they're holding back.

The thing is, trump will then be accessible for regular law enforcement to place whatever charges they want on him. I doubt they can make any incitement or sedition charges stick though, there's plausible deniability in play.

However, they may. It really depends on the witness testimony regarding trump's reactions to the carnage.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:49:59 14-01-2021
  • Rodney 14 Jan 2021 08:59:53 4,871 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There is a degree of plausible deniability, but that might be a harder position to defend if he actively participated in any planning, which he might have done.

Can he pardon himself now heís been impeached?
  • Technoishmatt 14 Jan 2021 09:10:16 4,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing has changed to what he can do. He has basically just been charged, not convicted.

But still if he pardons himself that is an admission of guilt, he loses right to plead the 5th, and leaves himself open for civil trials.
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2021 09:27:35 31,560 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    6 more days to start a war with Iran.
  • Decks 14 Jan 2021 09:36:21 28,417 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Nothing has changed to what he can do. He has basically just been charged, not convicted.

But still if he pardons himself that is an admission of guilt, he loses right to plead the 5th, and leaves himself open for civil trials.
    That seems to be up in the air at the minute.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/13/no-trump-cant-pardon-himself-impeachment-would-strip-him-that-power/%3foutputType=amp
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 09:39:09 16,065 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Self pardoning for a crime which youíve not yet been convicted of is the fishiest thing
  • Decks 14 Jan 2021 09:40:17 28,417 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You've obviously never been to a brothel in Middlesbrough.
  • disusedgenius 14 Jan 2021 09:40:25 10,645 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    There is a degree of plausible deniability, but that might be a harder position to defend if he actively participated in any planning, which he might have done.
    I somewhat doubt that Trump has the ability to plan in that kind of way. If they get anything on him beyond a 'who will rid me of this turbulent priest' type deal I'd be surprised.

Saying that, the impeachment is for 'incitement to insurrection' so actually that may be enough - especially if they find links to people close to him.
  • Decks 14 Jan 2021 09:40:30 28,417 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My apologies.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2021 09:52:20 16,065 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Given the charge is incitement and there is video of him inciting all it really needs to the GOP to wake up
  • Dirtbox 14 Jan 2021 10:01:29 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rodney wrote:

Can he pardon himself now heís been impeached?
    He could never pardon himself in the first place.

As for the conspiratorial element of his replacing top pentagon staff with loyalists who held back military aid until it became clear that no democrat targets were killed or taken hostage, or Capitol police who were both complicit and made it easier for insurrectionists to take aforementioned targets by disabling panic buttons the previous day, providing the attackers with blueprints and maps with offices belonging to the targets marked out.

I doubt trump had a personal hand in that beyond a quick, quiet, off the record word in someone's ear and they made it all happen. Or whether supporters on Parler planned it out in private and got the loyalist cops involved.

We'll have to see.

We'll also have to wait and see if any incriminating photos of turncoat republicans begin to surface in the tabloids. That above all else will be the death knell for trump.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:02:56 14-01-2021
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Jan 2021 10:09:03 11,986 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've only skim read this page, but tell me, why are there no 'trump pardon' jokes? Come on, Britain
  • RobAnybody 14 Jan 2021 10:23:20 2,845 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For those that haven't seen it, this is Trump's post-2nd-impeachment address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCWvUaos2U

And yes, for the second time he unequivocally throws his mob under a bus. Then he spends a minute or two at the end whining about censorship.

The chance of him having written this is about zero of course and he was no doubt 'coerced' by assorted higher ups in government. Kind of "do as you're told or there'll be even more trouble for you after the 20th". Various companies withdrawing support for him undoubtedly pressured him too.

He also doesn't state that Biden won, doesn't state that there was no fraud, and so on. Unsurprisingly there's even a recent report that he still sometimes rants in the White House that Biden didn't win and that the election was stolen from him. I think he'll go to his grave believing that delusion.

But watch the video, if only for shits and giggles.
  • djronz. 14 Jan 2021 10:43:41 464 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats an obvious deep fake, you can tell easily, his face looks all rubbery and skin tone is unnatural....
  • djronz. 14 Jan 2021 10:43:41 464 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats an obvious deep fake, you can tell easily, his face looks all rubbery and skin tone is unnatural....
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.