Following Tales of Berseria Page 8

• funkstar 1 Feb 2017 14:37:28 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is my first tales... game and im pretty impressed with it. One thing i noticed when fiddling with options is that there was a 2p controller option... how does that work? 2p only in battles?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Feb 2017 15:01:25 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @funkstar I think so. I never used that option even though it has been in most games.
  • funkstar 1 Feb 2017 15:24:14 3,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx cheers :)
  • Rusty_M 5 Feb 2017 10:52:01 7,103 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really enjoying this so far. I think I'm at about the halfway point. I love all of the characters except one. Sure Velvet's a little one-dimensional, but Magilou is great for comic-relief.
  • Duffking 6 Feb 2017 11:57:12 16,403 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad this is getting positive reception. Will grab it once I've got less on my plate!
  • CalamityJames 5 Jul 2017 17:28:44 247 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stuck trying to decide between this and FF15 in the Big in Japan sale... I've generally got more out of Tales games than Final Fantasy ones in recent years (having avoided Tales of Zestiria because I heard it wasn't much cop), but FF15 seems meatier. Anyone here played both?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jul 2017 18:40:38 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still not started this yet and I seem to one of the rare people who enjoyed Zestiria ;)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jul 2017 18:54:57 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I only did the one playthrough and the DLC. Didn't finish the bonus dungeon either but I enjoyed it for what it was. My favourite Tales games are atill the old 2D ones though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Jul 2017 21:54:24 6,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked Berseria, though I'd rate FF15 higher. Decent plot and characters. Battle system is fine. It's very combat-heavy even by Tales standards. Probably my favourite installment in the series and a big step up from Zestiria.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Jul 2017 23:58:05 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Fourfoldroot I think I own all entries including a few multiple format ones and all the Japanese exclusive ones (including most PSP spinoffs but not all of the earlier Narakiri Dungeons on GB) :) I haven't had time to play through all of them yet. Symphonia I played through about 90% of and then couldn't decide whether to do bonus stuff or finish story so sillily did neither... Only glanced at my PS3 copy of it. I started the series with Destiny really although I played a little of the emulated fan-translated Phantasia before it I think. I haven't completed as many as I would have liked though (only Abyss, Tempest, Hearts r, Graces f (got to finish off last bit of future arc though) and Zestiria if I remember although played quite far through a lot of them such as Symphonia, Destiny and Innocence) Not really tluched the Xillias despite having bought LEs for both (stopped buying LEs with Zestiria as it and Berseria were a lot worse than the American ones rather than just a bit worse)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Jul 2017 09:06:36 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I recall hearing Xillia 2 was flawed. Backlogs are my excuse for most of these. Might do Berseria next as links to Zestiria. And possibly the final f arc Graces dungeon which looks irritating.

I am happy that we get all f the games now as opposed to the PS2/DS era. (Hearts DS was much nicer than R IMO)

Edit - another bonus with Symphonia is the Japanese voice track even if it is weaker than the GC version in some regards apparently (30fps vs 60 for example). Also means the skits are voiced.

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 09:08:12 06-07-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jul 2017 09:27:18 6,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do we know what the next Tales game is going to be yet? I'm kinda hoping they take some time to change their technological backend before doing another. They're still running off the same tech that they've been on since the mid-point of the PS3 generation and it really shows. Even Berseria was cross-developed for PS3 and PS4, though the PS3 version never saw the light of day in the West.

Would be nice to see the series come properly onto current-gen platforms, even if it means a longer wait for the next game. Too many Japanese devs still committed to PS3 and/or Vita cross-development.
  • Duffking 6 Jul 2017 11:06:21 16,403 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like berseria but it is a bit cookie cutter structure wise. Did the series take a budget hit or something after vesperia? I much preferred it when the dungeons were all unique looking. Now they're all kind of bland trudges.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Jul 2017 14:23:56 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't think I have heard of a new entry. It would be nice to see one for the PS4 this time. Are Nier:Automata and FFXV the only JRPGs that aren't just PS3 ports so far? (Yakuza 6 if you want to count it too)

Hearts was one of the worst for dungeons with the Spiria mazes.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jul 2017 14:51:18 6,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I can't think of any other non-indie, non-retro JRPGs that have been developed purely for current gen platforms (including PC) unless you widen the list to include the Soulslikes (Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Nioh would qualify on that basis).

Edit: Wait... Omega Quintet and Megadimension Neptunia VII.

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:01:41 06-07-2017
  • Humperfunk 22 Nov 2017 22:35:54 8,027 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up in the PSN sale for £20 and after the disappointment of Zesteria, five hours in this is a great return to form. I mean, the lead character just kicked a kid in the face, what's not to like?

Splitting my time between this and Dishonored 2 at the no but once I am done with that, will pile into this big time.
  • Ror 23 Nov 2017 10:47:59 19,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know that it's been better received that Zestiria (bleh), but I think you just sold it to me.

Nah, I was gonna buy it anyway. At some point. It's surprising how much that one game did to put me off the franchise though, considering how big of a fan I was.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Nov 2017 10:51:38 8,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought the game on release and have been sitting on it ever since. I should dedicate some time to it but I just donít know when I can fit it in. Maybe I will put some hours in jan.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Nov 2017 10:51:41 6,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I played this to completion (though didn't do post-game). It's definitely among the best games in the Tales series and a huge step up from Zestiria. Graphics aren't fantastic and there's more backtracking than I would like, but a strong plot and decent characters mean it's engaging right through to the end.

So nice to have a main character who deviates from the "enthusiastic, idealistic teenage boy" JRPG trope. Magilou is great as well.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Nov 2017 10:56:12 8,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HLTB puts the main story + extras at about 70h and completionist at about 200....
  • Ror 23 Nov 2017 11:01:11 19,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just had a look around and it's not cheap. Looks like they're back to releasing in limited quantities, at least to a degree?

I just remembered that I decided to wait because I'd rather play it on Switch. I wish Bamco would hurry up and reveal what the Switch Tales of game is going to be...
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Nov 2017 11:01:56 8,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror you wanna borrow my copy Ror lol
  • Ror 23 Nov 2017 11:07:10 19,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Cheers, but I know I won't play it :D I barely use the PS4 as it is - anything that could feasibly come to Switch, I'd much rather play there. I'm holding out hope for Persona 5 as well, but given mainline games in that series have never been on anything over than Sony platforms (bar a Windows port of the very first game), I'm probably hoping in vain on that one.
  • uiruki 23 Nov 2017 11:08:19 4,993 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I really liked this after hating Zestiria (mostly for system related reasons). Once it gets going I liked the whole cast, combat is fun with everyoneís gimmicks, and I really appreciated the ending. Obviously it isnít earth shatteringly original or anything but I just enjoyed playing it.

Persona 5 definitely wore out its welcome.
  • Ror 23 Nov 2017 11:13:19 19,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, my issues with Zesty were mainly to do with the systems. I even quite liked most of the characters (especially Edna and Lailah). I started off really liking it, as it was a bit different from the last few, at least in terms of world scale. Shame that world was so empty though.

After getting very, very sick of it though, I'd kill for another Vesperia. Hell, I'd be happy with another like Xillia.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Nov 2017 12:00:21 6,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror Zestiriaís battle system was a total mess. Too much stuff in too many layers for a real time system. Berseria is much better,

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.