Following Tales of Berseria Page 9

• Ror 23 Nov 2017 12:05:51 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon The battle system definitely felt very 'Team Destiny', which I'm not a fan of - those systems always feel a bit overdesigned to me. I know the teams have been merged for a while now, but I always preferred the Team Symphonia-type systems.
  • Humperfunk 19 Dec 2017 12:23:03 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    37.5 hours in and nearing the end, although think a lot of the final sidequest stuff opens up after the next dungeon so a good few more hours to go.

As it stands, easily in the top three Tales games I have played along with Symphonia and The Abyss. Phenomenal cast of characters.
  • Ror 19 Dec 2017 12:44:18 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's quite a statement! Didn't expect anything like that after the blandness of Zestiria.

I still haven't got this, and I was really hoping they'd announce a Switch port at that Tales of event they held a couple of days ago. Sadly, it was all mobile stuff.

Have you not played Vesperia, Humperfunk?
  • Duffking 19 Dec 2017 12:47:33 16,187 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought that although it was much less overcomplicated than Zestiria and far more interesting in terms of plot and characters, the actual field and dungeon design was every bit as bland and uninspiring as Zestiria, and exactly how all of them Xilia onward have felt. Lots of caves consisting of cut-and-paste shapes and grey/brown dungeon trudges.

I lasted about 5 hours, got bored and played something else.
  • Humperfunk 19 Dec 2017 13:33:33 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ror shit I have, was literally thinking yesterday that I would love them to release it on PS4 so I can play it again.

Duffking is right, Xillia onwards the dungeons are very bland and cut and paste which is a shame. Hopefully when they do a proper current gen only one we will see a sizeable shift. Berseria is carrying me through on the strength of plot and characters, but a much improved battle system and significantly less complicated upgrade system than Zesteria. Really am loving it, got Dead Rising 4 today as a birthday present and haven't touched it yet because of this.
  • Ror 19 Dec 2017 14:02:26 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D Good man. I wouldn't hold out hope of ever seeing it on PS4 though! I just wish MS would hurry up and put it on the back compat program; I have that game both digital and physical :D

Yeah, I get the feeling they have tried to make bigger games with a lesser budget since then. I loved Xillia (it's not my favourite in the series or anything, but I really enjoyed it), and as that was the first in the series to have that kind of a structure, it didn't bother me (I also got into a habit of stripping every zone of materials). Zestiria though... I was so excited for it, and it was just so bland.

That's a shame you ditched Berseria, duffking. I remember when you posted some footage of the JP release, you seemed to be enjoying the combat at least.
    [EDIT Wait, no, that was uiruki, wasn't it. Clearly, I don't remember. Sorry!]

Edited by Ror at 14:38:59 19-12-2017
  • Humperfunk 19 Dec 2017 22:53:37 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus, kept thinking all day "right one more hour and then I will do Dead Rising."

Instead I put a good ten hours into this today, up to 47 hours done now. Had the last dungeon ready to go for ages and just been doing side stuff of which there is LOADS. Still think I have another 10 hours to go at least.

Back to work tomorrow too, bah.
  • uiruki 20 Dec 2017 05:53:44 4,832 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror I really really liked Berseria. Took a little while to get going but I enjoyed the combat a lot and it had loads of good character development moments.
  • Humperfunk 20 Dec 2017 10:02:18 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    @Ror I really really liked Berseria. Took a little while to get going but I enjoyed the combat a lot and it had loads of good character development moments.
    Absolutely this - the characters are some of the best I have come across in a JRPG, not a single annoying one and the voice acting is really good (again, surprised frankly).

Literally dreamed about the game last night as well, which shows that I may have a problem...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Dec 2017 10:36:54 5,930 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Berseria fixed one of my biggest issues with the Tales series; the clichéd characters and slightly cozy storylines. This, combined with a move away from the ridiculously over-layered combat mechanics of Zestiria, makes Berseria the best Tales game in a long time as far as I'm concerned.

They do, however, need to get a grip on two other things for the season going forwards; technology and dungeon design. The tech is still stuck in the early-PS3 era and a new engine is desperately needed (as are better quality 3d art assets). Dungeons are also bland compared to many other RPGs; they're at risk of tipping over into Compile Heart-level copy/paste dungeons.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Dec 2017 14:48:34 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a quick (turned into multiple hours) test of this and liked what I did. Prioritised finishing other stuff though so this is one for next year for me to play through, and as I didn't mind Zestiria I should enjoy it.
  • Ror 21 Dec 2017 11:41:33 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @uiruki I did remember you enjoying it, but obviously got confused somewhere along the way!

I need to get a copy, but I do still hope it gets a Switch port. Also, I have to admit I was very surprised to learn that Velvet is voiced by the same VA that does Compa in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series :|
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Dec 2017 12:04:31 5,930 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Also, I have to admit I was very surprised to learn that Velvet is voiced by the same VA that does Compa in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series :|
    Is that in the English voice cast? Her Japanese VA is Rina Sato, who was indeed in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, but as Vert rather than Compa.
  • Ror 21 Dec 2017 12:08:32 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, the EN VA, Cristina Valenzuela.

Also, that ':|' emoticon looks more negative than I intended! I don't think it's a bad thing, I was just quite surprised :D
  • CalamityJames 21 Dec 2017 14:07:02 236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    EG's emojis are terrible. The standard smiley is way too happy.

Anyway, I ended up putting this fifth in my EG GOTY vote. Despite some flaws, I found it really compelling, and didn't really play much else 'til I'd finished it.
  • Humperfunk 23 Dec 2017 14:36:29 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bosh, story complete. Pretty much applauded the screen, that was absolutely bloody excellent. 50 hours pretty much exactly on the clock, now for the bonus dungeon and a few other side things I was to mop up.

What a return to form, it's put the series back near the top of my priorities again. Can't wait to see what the next one will be.
  • Ror 24 Dec 2017 17:41:30 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn it, I'm going to have to buy this sooner rather than later, aren't I?

*checks Steam*
  • Ror 7 Jun 2019 23:44:34 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FRIENDS! Apparently the next Tales of game has leaked out. Apparently called Tales of Arise. Supposed to be announced at Microsoft's conference on Sunday, which is kind of nuts in itself.

For a Tales of game, it looks mental.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jun 2019 15:11:07 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Almost done with Berseria (and I think every pre-post game sidequest done) and generally enjoyed it but they need to change the horrible inventory/dismantle/enhancing system. I should not have cobsiderably more game time in menus (dismantling items one by one so I can pick more up) than I do in battles. Bad Namco! Normal inventory system for the next game please with fixed weapons :)
  • Rusty_M 25 Jun 2019 21:17:34 6,954 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That looks beautiful. I've yet to finish a Tales game
  • Ror 25 Jun 2019 21:59:50 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still haven't played Berseria /o\ I felt like the series really needed a shake-up after Zesty, and I'm glad Arise is looking much better.

I'm still curious about Berseria though :/
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jun 2019 23:41:25 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished Berseria and enjoyed it bar the inventory crap ;). A bit darker than usual too.

Then again I remember completely ignoring the field of fonon system in Abyss too and completed that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2019 10:08:21 5,930 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror Give Berseria a go. It absolutely is a shake-up for the series (which, as you say, was badly needed after Zestiria). Darker tone, more action-oriented gameplay and a protagonist who very much doesn't fit the usual mold for the series. Not as pretty as Arise, but definitely a good way to fill your time until we actually get our hands on Arise.

Edit: Also, Berseria is down to a tenner in the Steam sale right now and hardly needs cutting-edge hardware.

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:09:42 26-06-2019
  • Ror 26 Jun 2019 13:39:43 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, I've decided to play it when I finish what I'm currently playing. I actually have a copy from one of your code giveaways :)

I never actually finished Zestiria, though I think I got close to the end - IIRC I got a bit stuck on the Maltran fight and just wasn't enjoying it enough to push on. I've decided to watch the anime adaptation instead, though apparently a later episode has some pretty major spoilers for Berseria, so I might skip that one.
  • Humperfunk 26 Jun 2019 16:57:20 7,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ror if any interest, Berseria is £9.99 in the latest PSN sale right now. Tremendous game, for a tenner they're taking the piss!
  • Ror 26 Jun 2019 17:15:57 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @Ror if any interest, Berseria is £9.99 in the latest PSN sale right now. Tremendous game, for a tenner they're taking the piss!
    Yeah, I noticed earlier actually, cheers. As above though, I have it on Steam :)

I've watched four eps of the Zestiria anime so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I suppose it helps that it looks really nice.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2019 17:35:56 5,930 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror It's questionable how spoilery the Zestiria anime is for Berseria. Berseria is set in Zestiria's distant past, so in some way, the whole state of the world by the time of Zestiria is a spoiler for Berseria. But it's a deliberate spoiler (Zestiria came first) so don't worry about it.

The anime is a little more explicit than the game in linking the two together, but I really don't think it gives you anything to worry about. Plus, the anime has two episodes that directly adapt the beginning of Berseria and are pretty great.

And yes, being a ufotable show it looks incredibly pretty.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 26 Jun 2019 17:51:49 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sooooo, bit of a tales noob, but which of Zestria, Berseria, or Vesperia should I go for if:-
    - I'm planning on playing it coop with partner
    - I like a bit of hack and slash
    ?
    They're all a pretty reasonable price at the moment (please stop me from buying all fucking three, I'm an idiot).
  • RichDC 26 Jun 2019 18:00:42 8,351 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd say Beseria, as the I find the other two dull. Best would be to get a copy of Symphonia though. No idea what formats its on these days though.
  • Ror 26 Jun 2019 18:26:37 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks Roguey. I saw a post elsewhere that suggested it spoils the fate of the Berseria cast - is that not the case? I already knew it was set in the same world and that Eizen is playable, but that's about all I know.

I'm enjoying it enough that I'm tempted to pick up my old save file and see if I can remember enough to finish it off.

AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Sooooo, bit of a tales noob, but which of Zestria, Berseria, or Vesperia should I go for...
    I can't speak for Berseria yet, but between the other two it's an easy choice: get Vesperia. I am heavily biased towards that game, though; it's probably my favourite jrpg of its generation, and I own three copies of it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.