Following Tales of Berseria Page 10

• AboutHalfaStevas 26 Jun 2019 18:27:12 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interesting, as I do actually have the GC version of that somewhere (you just reminded me; I bought it then got a 360, I think - so never actually played it).
    Might just see if I can find that and stick it in the Wii. Cheers! You maybe have just saved me a tenner. (You probably havent though.)

Just noticed ror's response. Shit.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 18:29:35 26-06-2019
  • Ror 26 Jun 2019 18:32:31 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You absolutely can't go wrong with Symphonia either. Though it will obviously look and feel quite a bit more dated than the others mentioned - even more so, given it was the series' first crack at 3D.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 26 Jun 2019 19:28:58 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At the moment it's entirely down to how lazy I am; do I fish out the disc and GC and hook that up, or do I literally just click buy and oh who am I fucking kidding
  • Ror 26 Jun 2019 19:35:51 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just grab Berseria, then. Most people are pretty positive about it - the only reason I've not yet played it is because I got a bit burnt out on the series, which won't be an issue for you.
  • Ror 27 Jun 2019 13:48:19 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok. I decided to load up my old, abandoned Zestiria save for some reason. I last played it in Jan 2016, and since then I was under the impression that I got to the Maltran fight, came up against a bit of a wall, and didn't care enough to crack on with it.

It turns out I had beaten her :/ So I'm probably going to try and finish it off. I read the synopses in the menu to get back up to speed, but I cannot remember a single damn thing about the battle system. So I put it on the easiest setting, switched to auto battle, and I think this is my life now. I'm going to sit here and watch a game play itself just to get it finished.
  • RichDC 27 Jun 2019 14:04:42 8,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Need to do that with Beseria at some point. Never did actually get round to finishing it. Can't remember where I am but feel like it felt near the end.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 14:15:20 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I tried Symphonia last night, and other than the strange graphics (is there some sort of occlusion going on, as everything seems blurry if it's not "in focus in the centre of the screen? Not sure if this is because I'm playing on a Wii), and the bizarre way dialog is handled ("oh, great, some exposition, I can put the controller down and eat my tea... No, wait, I can't, I need to press a button to advance it... No, wait, now it's back to advancing on its own - MAKE YOUR FUCKING MIND UP"), I think I can see what the fuss is about. I also realised I have Skies of Arcadia, which never got played. Am I bad person?

So obviously I bought Berseria also, because I'm an idiot. Actually, I just had a tenner left over after getting samurai shodown. Fuck it, it's only money.

And I'm an idiot.
  • RichDC 27 Jun 2019 14:27:30 8,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haha. I imagine going back to them now would be maddening as you describe, but Symphonia and Arcadia are probably my two favourite jrpgs.
  • Ror 27 Jun 2019 14:33:44 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Am I bad person?
    Yes. Partly for not playing Skies, but also because of trying to eat a cup of tea.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Jun 2019 15:09:31 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm northern.
    Other day I asked the girlfriend to pass me the changer.
    The look I got.
    (I meant remote for the telly.)
  • Rusty_M 27 Jun 2019 20:16:34 6,954 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've also not played Skies of Arcadia.

Wasn't into JRPGs until about 2016
  • Ror 27 Jun 2019 21:39:42 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would say you should remedy that Rusty, but it wouldn't be the easiest task these days. Neither version is particularly easy to come by.
  • Graxlar_v3 27 Jun 2019 21:41:17 6,836 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Skies of Arcadia is one of my classics. A game I would buy in seconds if they bothered to dust off the box of old game codes.
  • Ror 27 Jun 2019 21:56:34 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need Sega to give Rieko Kodama a big cheque pls.

Edited by Ror at 22:10:12 27-06-2019
  • Rusty_M 27 Jun 2019 22:53:35 6,954 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They need to put it on Switch. It's a port monster.
  • Scimarad 27 Jun 2019 23:06:33 9,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good lord, does the protagonist in Berseria ever get over that "I'm Batman after a particularly heavy night's brooding" thing? It got old basically straight away. I quite liked the woman in the intro section but are we now stuck with Moodypants Pirate-Hooker for the rest of the game? And that bloody witch as well!

Oh well, it was only a tenner I suppose.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 Jun 2019 00:00:20 3,511 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a few years gap before I restarted Berseria, luckily I wasn't too far into it so reading the recaps was easier. Going back to my incomplete Tales of Innocence save however will be more time consuming... Technically I stopped original Symphonia right before the end as I couldn't decide whether to finish all of the side stuff or just finish the story ajd in the end did neither... This is from the year it came out too... I learned my lesson and just finished Abyss the day before my uni holiday finished leaving some of the side quests. I have considered playing through Symphonia again on PS3 with Japanese voice track as an alternative option. I need to polish off tue last bit if Graces Future Arc too and this is before we cover tue ones I have barely played including all of the Japanese only entries.
  • RichDC 28 Jun 2019 10:56:48 8,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Good lord, does the protagonist in Berseria ever get over that "I'm Batman after a particularly heavy night's brooding" thing? It got old basically straight away. I quite liked the woman in the intro section but are we now stuck with Moodypants Pirate-Hooker for the rest of the game? And that bloody witch as well!

Oh well, it was only a tenner I suppose.
    Haha. Moodypants Pirate Hooker is one of the things I loves about Beseria. Such a refreshing change from the plucky-naive-young-chap-who-wants-to-change-the-world-with-the-power-of-love-and-friendship protagonist that stars in every other Tales game.
  • Scimarad 28 Jun 2019 14:03:39 9,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RichDC

I knew it was going to be a tale of revenge and the very beginning did kind of forewarn me but she seems to be turned up to 11. It's like she's thinking "What's the edgiest thing I can do in this situation? I'm going to do that as hard as possible while telling people I'm doing it!!"

I also tend to hate the "Let's save the world with power of friendship!" stuff that some JRPGs tend towards but I think there's room for a little middle ground. I read the stuff saying it's got a better story and more complex characters and I possibly was expecting a little too much!:)

Then again, I really liked Abyss and I'm guessing that may be an unpopular opinion among Tales fans.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jun 2019 15:16:49 5,930 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought Moodypants Pirate Hooker was great as a protagonist. As RichDC says, she's a nice change from the usual JRPG protagonist who is all sparkly-eyed optimism and idealism. Plus the Magnificent Bastard trope is a common one in anime and anime-inspired games, but female takes on it are really rare (can only think of Gundam's Haman Karn and Cross Ange's Ange off the top of my head). So nice to see Berseria commit to it so fully.

The whole party in Berseria is decent. Most of them are pretty damaged in various ways, even if it isn't immediately apparent, and generally with more than the usual Generic Anime Backstory. Laughypants Clown Hooker is good fun, though it's a long time before she actually becomes a playable character.
  • Ror 28 Jun 2019 15:54:30 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Scimarad Abyss is pretty well-liked.

Did you play Vesperia? That game's lead, Yuri, is pretty much in the middle of the extremes you mentioned; he wants a better world, but he's not afraid to just off someone to help make that happen. Yet, while he's got a bit of a cynical streak, it doesn't overpower his personality - he's still good to those around him.

I've done a bit more of Zestiria today. Well, the CPU has, I suppose. I watched it battle a big dragon :D
  • Scimarad 28 Jun 2019 23:30:39 9,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror

Yeah, I did like Vesperia though I didn't ever finish it.
  • Ror 28 Jun 2019 23:53:41 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Scimarad Ah, fair enough. Well if you ever feel like returning to it, the recent remaster has already dropped in price quite a bit.
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Jun 2019 09:44:32 6,836 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I thought Moodypants Pirate Hooker was great as a protagonist. As RichDC says, she's a nice change from the usual JRPG protagonist who is all sparkly-eyed optimism and idealism. Plus the Magnificent Bastard trope is a common one in anime and anime-inspired games, but female takes on it are really rare (can only think of Gundam's Haman Karn and Cross Ange's Ange off the top of my head). So nice to see Berseria commit to it so fully.

The whole party in Berseria is decent. Most of them are pretty damaged in various ways, even if it isn't immediately apparent, and generally with more than the usual Generic Anime Backstory. Laughypants Clown Hooker is good fun, though it's a long time before she actually becomes a playable character.
    Well I guess baseria is on my list to play this year
  • Ror 29 Jun 2019 11:41:47 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well you do own multiple copies ;)
  • Ror 1 Jul 2019 11:39:53 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished Zesty last night. Feels good to finally knock it on the head.

Despite having it on auto battle, the last boss was still a little stressful as the AI isn't particularly pro-active with healing (and Heldalf's Mystic Arte is an absolute bastard that they couldn't seem to avoid!). I had to take control in the second phase to do the gimmick, and then again in the final phase to MA him (which I had to look up how to do, as I couldn't remember anything at all about the battle system).

It hasn't really changed my original opinion of the game, though it did remind me that I actually quite like the cast. Handily, it's made me a bit more excited to get to Berseria, especially as the last area is called Artorius' Throne. Knowing what happens at the start of Berseria, and remembering what happened to Mikleo as a baby has got me interested to see more.

I need to finish Wolfenstein TNC though, which I put on the backburner for Zesty. I'll probably be starting it some time this week though, as I think I'm about 2/3 through Wolf.

Feels good to be excited about this series again, honestly.
  • Ror 4 Jul 2019 18:35:53 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've made a start, and so far I like it. Just escaped the prison, so I have Rokurou and Magilou tagging along.

I think I'm going to like Magilou.
  • jack5255 4 Jul 2019 18:54:06 773 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just picked this up, hopefully start tonight.

Was a toss up between this on ps4 or vesperia on switch but at 1/3 of the price berseria won.

Footage looks great so im sure iíll enjoy it
  • Ror 4 Jul 2019 23:10:33 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Velvet, on seeing a Katz for the first time: "Oh look, another weirdo."

Just what I was thinking :)
  • Ror 4 Jul 2019 23:47:38 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I'm at Hellawes, and finding it a nice little town with a little bit of light exploration, climbing up ladders and running along rooftops to find new gear. Speaking of gear, it and skills and handled so much better in this game. I just realised that, should you find a duplicate with higher stats and a random roll on it, the progress you've made towards learning its skills will carry over from the older piece!

Field maps are mercifully much smaller as well. I find myself being reminded much more of Xillia than Zestiria (which is a very good thing, to my mind). Am I just imagining that, or did anyone else feel the same?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.