Following Tales of Berseria Page 12

• StarchildHypocrethes 28 Jul 2019 22:35:26 32,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I grabbed this in a sale a little while back. Enjoyed it for a few hours or so, but the combat is so utterly unengaging I've given up.

To be fair this has happened on pretty much every Tales game I've played, but I'd heard this was a little different.
  • Ror 28 Jul 2019 23:13:39 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is actually a fair bit of depth there, looking into the systems themselves. The problem is you can safely ignore most of it on the default difficulty.

I might try some code red daemons later, see how I fare.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jul 2019 23:22:35 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    There is actually a fair bit of depth there, looking into the systems themselves. The problem is you can safely ignore most of it on the default difficulty.

I might try some code red daemons later, see how I fare.
    This is still better than Zestiria, which was systems-overload. Berseria does have a few top-end fights that need attention even on the default difficulty.
  • Ror 28 Jul 2019 23:27:16 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, absolutely. I just never really gelled with Zestiria at all (I remember killing all the Gorgon bosses, but felt there was always some element of battle I wasn't 100% sure about).

This just feels better explained and seems to have a very gentle on-ramp. Also, always worth reminding myself I'm still not all that far in and things could change! I've pretty much just offed the priest.
  • Ror 30 Jul 2019 15:20:18 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did a little bit more last night. Fought a code red daemon, and bumped into Zaveid :)
  • Rusty_M 30 Jul 2019 18:35:02 7,096 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You'll catch up with me soon.
    Need to go back to this (and everything else)
  • Ror 30 Jul 2019 19:43:41 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need to get a bit of time set aside for it, really - I've only been able to put thirty minutes at a time into it recently.
  • Fonzie 1 Aug 2019 07:41:26 3,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I won't have time to sink some time into this again until the weekend. I'm still quite early on in the story but taking my time. Is there ever a point where I'll need to consider level grinding? I'm playing on hard at the moment but most battles seem to be relatively easy. Sometimes they take a while due to the enemy HP but I don't seem to need to heal very often.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Aug 2019 08:59:52 3,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't recall intentionally grinding through the game and I made sure to kill all Code Reds through my play through.
  • Ror 1 Aug 2019 11:13:33 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of Velvet's Break Arte's reeaaally reminds me of going into Intoner Mode in Drakengard 3.

I think it's the scream.

Edited by Ror at 11:13:54 01-08-2019
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Aug 2019 12:21:28 3,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still need to finish the final route boss on Drakengard 3. Got so close but never quite managed it...

I would like to a see a PS4 complete edition/remaster with all DLC too. It could do with the boost and the DLC has never been reduced in price that I am aware of...
  • Ror 1 Aug 2019 12:47:40 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A PS4 port could really help the performance of D3.
  • Humperfunk 1 Aug 2019 14:26:59 8,023 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed, I never finished Drakengard 3 because the final boss on the first route I literally couldn't tell what was going on, the performance was that bad :(
  • uiruki 1 Aug 2019 14:29:38 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It was a nice throwback to 2007-2008 era Unreal Engine games on PS3. No, I didnít finish it either.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Aug 2019 20:26:52 3,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I managed to cope with the slowdown on early bosses. It was just the trolling of the final route final boss that got me. One day I will go back to beat it (on similar lines one day I will finish off the other 70 endings on 25th Ward too...)

On topic at least Tales games are pretty straight forward. I need to finish Grace's Future arc... Then maybe start properly on Vesperia Definitive...
  • gillgrissom 12 Aug 2019 11:02:01 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished this on PS4 , been sat im my library of games since release day.
    I did no grinding characters are at level 70, some of the code reds are difficult without a certain item. And will almost certainly wipe your full line up out.

It is actually a real nice story and kind of a cry baby ending ( main game )
    there are still some code reds after post game. if your a trophy hunter then you are going to need to complete main game as a lot of trophies you cannot get until then.

Im not sure on purchasing the DLC , basically i havent even looked at it how much theres is and how much it adds to the game.

I still have zestiria and vesperia ( although i completed xbox 360 version ) sat in my game pile to play..
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Aug 2019 12:29:30 3,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't do the post game. I don't think Berseria had any story DLC, just outfits wasn't it? Zestiria had a story DLC though (and apparently pissed off their Japanese market with it). I was similar level finishing IIRC, although defeated all the mainline Code Reds without using any non normal healing items, a few of them were fairly challenging though. I only finished it this year myself and enjoyed it.
  • Ror 12 Aug 2019 12:36:13 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still plugging away at it when I have time. 26 hours on the clock, everyone early 20s in levels. Just beat up a beetle so I could pick some flowers.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2019 16:57:04 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At 30 hours now, and just about to go and meet Grimoirh. When do I get my flippin' hoverboard?
  • gillgrissom 16 Aug 2019 09:34:08 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror You dont get the geoboard until you get to Stonebury, which is quite well into the game.
  • Ror 16 Aug 2019 15:01:59 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gillgrissom Cheers. I'm at Palamides Temple now, and feeling like I should be approaching the halfway point, more or less. Is that accurate, you think?
  • gillgrissom 16 Aug 2019 15:15:07 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror You should hit stonebury soon, think your maybe just over half way.
    Pretty sure you will head back to titania then to aldina plains, stonebury destination just after this. BTW as a side note once you have the geoboard a lot of places you need to charge it up for that area, just look out for what looks like a green in colour warp zone ( so to speak ).
  • Ror 16 Aug 2019 16:44:22 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gillgrissom Brilliant, cheers!

The story has been sagging a little bit the last few hours, as focus shifted to Rokurou and Eizen's stuff, but it seems like it's about to pick up again soon.
  • gillgrissom 16 Aug 2019 19:46:01 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror Yeah but its just like most games of this ilk, you get to a point where it lulls a bit then bang some thing you dont expect pops up and drags you back to life.

I didnt do any grinding at all characters where level 70 once i finished it to post game, there is a trophy for level 200 characters. I put 42 hours into it thats with around 2/3 hours of post game.

There are some seriously difficult code reds post game.
  • Ror 16 Aug 2019 19:53:55 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gillgrissom Yeah, you don't get games that are dozens of hours long without a bit of downtime. Those bits were still fairly enjoyable, as I quite like both Rokurou and Eizen, but I did feel a bit eager to get back on the main thread after a few hours.

I must be really slow at games, because I'm ~32 hours in at this point :p Everyone's level 28, but I haven't really been fighting much recently - just killing one of each enemy in a new area to fill out the monster book, and then the occasional dangerous encounter for the additional xp and grade.

As for the Lv 200 trophy, I'd imagine this does what a lot of the older games do, and lets you do an NG+ with some modifiers like XP multipliers. I remember when I did my second run on Tales of Xillia I had something like a x5 XP multiplier for the whole run.
  • gillgrissom 17 Aug 2019 13:22:04 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror Yes there is new game plus, based on points system you have to use points to carry over items etc, there are multiplyers but only upto 3x i couldnt buy any as i only had 1200 points and 3x was 3000 alone.

I love the Tales series im perticulary fond of tales of destiny 1 + 2, and looking forward to Tales of Arise next year.
  • Ror 17 Aug 2019 13:46:35 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gillgrissom Ah, so it does have the Grade Shop then, cool. I just checked the Xillia grade shop and 5x XP was 2000 Grade there. Maybe Xillia gave out less Grade over all, so had to be a bit more generous?

Yeah, I did love the series, but Zestiria kind of broke me. I didn't even think it was bad, just... rather bland and bloated with systems. Strangely, I actually finished Graces and the future arc and I do think that is a bad game. But it was Zestiria that pushed me away from the series. Weird, hey?

But yeah, Arise looks amazing, and it was the reveal of that that made me decide to finally start Berseria. I'll try and fit Vesperia DE in before Arise launches too, as the original is my favourite in the series.
  • gillgrissom 17 Aug 2019 15:23:55 17 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Loved Vesperia, i have the DE on PC as it was super cheap pick up.
    Ive got the PS4 version but like so many of my RPG games across a few systems they are new and sealed ( i have managed to pick 2nd versions up over time )
    I was a big xbox 360 gamer ( mates didnt have ps3, ya know call of duty,battlefield online was order of the day ) last generation rather than the PS3 so all the ps3 rpg games i bought stayed sealed. I have bought alot in psn sales digital though. I finding playing an rpg game relaxing although takes up a lot of time, i like to demolish everything in an rpg sort of like get myself untouchable in battles, find all weapons etc.
  • Ror 23 Sep 2019 15:44:26 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got back to this over the last week, as I'd put it on the backburner a bit - first there was Control, then I went away, then I cam back to Gears.

Just about to head back to Titania.
  • Ror 26 Sep 2019 17:36:33 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woo, I now have a secret pirate hideout.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.