Following Tales of Berseria Page 13

Next Last
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2019 17:44:01 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror My memory is telling me that means you're quite a high % of the way through the game. Not sure whether I'm remembering correctly, or whether I was just less thorough in the latter stages.
  • Ror 26 Sep 2019 18:11:55 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, I feel like I should be a fair way through - I'm going on a therion scavenger hunt at the moment, if that jogs your memory?

Still really enjoying it, mainly because of the cast. The moment they all share when you visit Velvet's cell was really good.

...until Kamoana started shouting, at least.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 Sep 2019 19:27:26 3,628 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trying to remember but possibly around 2/3 (possibly earlier though...) through the story but I did make sure to do all the side quests, islands and Code Reds before finishing when I played so I may not be representative.
  • Ror 27 Sep 2019 13:34:23 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woo, got my hoverboard.
  • Ror 3 Oct 2019 19:06:06 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And on my way back to Aball now, ooh exciting!

I think I've been avoiding combat a bit too much - Lv36 now, fought Medissa at 35 and took a bit of a pasting (didn't help that I haven't refreshed my gear in a while, either).

Should probably focus more on the RPG side of things tomorrow...
  • Ror 24 Oct 2019 19:30:35 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woooowww, some shit went down during my last session.
  • Ror 4 Nov 2019 16:11:20 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On my way to Mt Killaraus now, I imagine I'm approaching the end.

The story has really gone some places. I've really enjoyed that and the party, and I'm now pretty optimistic about Arise delivering in that department.

However the world and dungeons are still as blah as they've been for the last few instalments; as much as I was enjoying combat for a good twenty hours, I tired of it by about the 30-40 hour mark, and I've been avoiding a lot of enemies since (everyone's currently level 47). This is the area that I need to see the series really mix things up and improve. And as a more general point, I'm getting a bit tired of the typical jRPG structure of walk, fight, cutscene, repeat. Proper quest structure and a bit more to do in the world (not just minigames, please) would be a good start.

Edited by Ror at 16:12:04 04-11-2019
  • Nazo 4 Nov 2019 16:24:33 1,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím just a bit behind you I guess. I turned combat onto full auto quite some time ago so mostly I just let them get on with it apart from the occasional intervention with items or swaps.
    I love the characters and the story is decent but the rest is pretty meh.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2019 14:00:04 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just beat Shigure. What a great fight that was.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2019 18:35:32 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And there goes Melchior. Might actually be able to finish this off later tonight?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Nov 2019 22:14:59 3,628 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds near the end from what I recall as long as you don't want to finish all the side quests too like the code Reds (I basically did all the normal game code Reds and islands and every side quest I could find before finishing). I enjoyed the game overall bar the horrible inventory system which the stats showed I spent too much game time on clearing up the crap.
  • Ror 9 Nov 2019 20:55:16 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I'm basically at the final dungeon now. Didn't have much more time on it yesterday and am out all day today, so hopefully I can finish it off tomorrow. I'm not particularly bothered about side stuff - the original plan was just to bomb through the story.

Four months later, here I am...
  • Ror 12 Nov 2019 15:22:49 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And done! Well, last night, anyway. I was so underpowered for the last boss (everyone at about Lv52, with old gear that I'd upgraded as far as I could about eight hours prior), so I ended up using a lot of items and just kiting him around the arena.

Pros: Characters and story were great. Honestly, if I was trying to decide my favourite cast in the series, this bunch of freaks would be in contention. I also think having played Zestiria previously, as bland as I think that game is, really added a lot to Berseria's setting and narrative; being able to see the whole Shepherd/Lord of Calamity thing from the other side was really good.

I also already knew that Laphicet was going to become Maotelus because the bloody Zestiria anime spoiled that for me, oops.

Ending was bittersweet, and about as positive an ending as could be expected for these characters. But the end credits images showing Velvet and OG Laphicet dreaming of what might have been was actually pretty fucking heartbreaking.

The battle system was genuinely a lot of fun, and enjoyable to exploit, even if I did get a bit bored of battling by about the forty hour mark, but as I mentioned a few posts up, that's more of a jRPG thing than specifically a Berseria thing - I need a bit more to do than walk-battle-walk-battle-walk-cutscene-walk-boss battle. And I don't mean mini-games.

Cons: World and dungeons. As bland as they've been for the last few incarnations, but at least mercifully smaller than Zestiria's bloated zones. This ties into the above complaint about having nothing else to do than walk and fight. This is the main area I need to see improvement in for Arise. Give me a more living world, give me some places to explore and things to discover (no, I don't mean Zestiria's 'discoveries').

I put off playing this one for so long, despite previously being a 'day one, special edition' fan, because of how bland Zestiria was. Honestly, this one has done nothing to address those complaints, but thankfully it was carried by a great cast and a fun tale - two areas Zestiria also failed in. Would that be enough to bring me back for another, similar instalment? Honestly, I don't know. I definitely wouldn't be there day one for it, which feels a bit odd to actually put down in words, given how much I loved this group's journey. But it's a real game of two halves.

Arise needs to deliver on all fronts. At least now I'm more positive about one of those.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Nov 2019 15:58:46 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror Grats on completion. Your thoughts on this are very similar to my own. I really loved the story and characters and was pleased that they stuck with the darker tone right through to the end, keeping things at best "bittersweet" rather than going down a schmaltzier route more typical for a JRPG.

Dungeons, battle system and exploration were all better than Zestiria's, but that's about all I can say for them. Zestiria's systems were utter crap and really lowered my expectations for the series.

Berseria recovered a lot of the ground that Zestiria lost and has kept at least some interest alive for Arise.
  • Ror 12 Nov 2019 16:20:13 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Cheers Roguey. Yeah, a happy ending would have felt contrived, so I was quite pleased with the way things shook out.

Agree re: world and systems - an improvement over Zestiria's low bar, but I'd like to see a real shake-up for Arise.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Nov 2019 19:54:34 3,628 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still need to go back and finish or properly play earlier titles. Got a save on Symphonia from release year near the end when I couldn't decide whether to do side quests or just finish the story and just quit instead... For obvious reasons not started the sequel. Legendia I have only played a little (I did finish Abyss near release). Not played the Xillias (I own all the Tales games I believe). Grace f I need to finish off the future arc. Completed Zestoria, Berseria, Tempest and Hearts R. I forget how far I got on Destiny and Eternia... A fair way through Innocence (DS) too. Then all of the untranslated games like Rebirth, Destiny DC and Destiny 2 too. This is ignoring the spinoffs...

Backlogs are a pain :)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.