Following Tales of Berseria Page 3

• uiruki 15 Aug 2016 09:17:44 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx this is coming from memory but it was about 40 hours in when they bring Anise back from the dead and possibly the other enemy generals too. I was completely sick and tired of the game by that point, thought I was close to the end and that just finished it for me. I couldn't stand any of the game's characters except Jade to an extent, playing on the 3DS was intensely uncomfortable, the FOF stuff in the battle system just felt like a massive pain.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2016 12:10:19 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I played it on release on PS2. I completely the whole existence of the fof system too and just played as if it didn't exist. I bought the 3DS port but less motivated to play it when I have a backlog of other uncompleted Tales of games to play.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 12:11:57 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved TotA, put about 80 hours into it, and I don't even remember that! I'll have to read the wikia to jog my memory.

And yes, the FoF system was pants.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2016 12:23:48 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I recall spending about 65 hours on Abyss, had to rush it to finish on last day of uni holiday along with Twilight Princess.

I need to play some of my older PS2 games that I never finished like Legendia (being the easier choice in English) as my PS3 is kaput putting a hold on the Xillias...
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 12:26:09 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah yes, now I remember. The false ending.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2016 14:05:04 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't that happen in a few Tales of games though?
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 14:05:44 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, it's pretty standard!
  • Humperfunk 15 Aug 2016 14:14:20 7,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's this about a false ending on Abyss? I played it on 3DS, absolutely loved it!
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 14:28:05 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When you defeat Van, the game seems to wind up... and then all the bad guys come back and you have another thirty hours of game.

Spoilered to be on the safe side.
  • uiruki 15 Aug 2016 14:35:22 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, it was more a symptom of my overall dislike of the game than anything else really. Most of the time if I dislike something I just trail off or slog through anyway (I finished Ar Tonelico 3 and that game was properly shit!) but that particular moment broke the proverbial camel's back.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2016 14:49:46 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never did play my Ar Tonelicos. I seem to recall 1 or 2 had a nasty bug on final boss (kill it fast enough or crash) so never got around to it. I heard 3rd was weaker but eventually got a cheap 2nd hand copy. Didn't look at Surge being missing half the story beforehand from the unreleased VN.

I suppose I played Abyss at a time when we were eaiting eagerly for Tales of English releases rather than ending up with backlogs of them but I enjoyed it at the time. Then again I enjoyed Zeatiria which lots seemed to dislike so... ;) I need to polish off Innocence soon too as played quite far through that... It is a shame that Hearts DS was the last 2D sprite game. Hearts R was okay but I preferred my DS version.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 14:55:24
    For a Tales noob, where is the best jumping on point?
  • uiruki 15 Aug 2016 14:59:16 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx I ended up liking Hearts and Innocence a lot. I know that people have a soft spot for the original Hearts battle system but I thought that both of the R games had a really great version of the classic Symphonia battle system. I particularly liked the dodge and counter stuff, and I like it now it's popped up in Ys as well. The characters really popped in both games for the most part too, everyone involved just seemed like they were having a lot of fun doing the dialogue.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 15:03:26 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 If you have a 360, play Vesperia.
  • uiruki 15 Aug 2016 15:04:23 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    For a Tales noob, where is the best jumping on point?
    I guess that depends on what you want from it. I liked Graces PS3 a lot though there are plenty of negatives - the battle system and skits are great but the whole story is a bit rubbish and some of the dungeon design is exasperating. Vesperia is probably the most expensive Tales (and best looking - the 360 version still looks great) and Yuri is a good main character but the battle system isn't quite there. It's also full of bullshit un-signposted side quests so a guide is recommended.

I ended up liking Xillia a lot but I think you have to be at peace with the idea that the game is made on a budget with flat areas and lots of reskinning. Xillia 2 is even more egregious in that but I really liked how they took the characters forward.

Basically, I'd just go as early as I feel comfortable. The series goes back and forth quality wise but generally adds conveniences as you go through.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 15:08:13
    cheers, i will look and see what i can get.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 15:14:52 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Like uiruki, I really enjoyed Xillia as well. Unlike uiruki, I really disliked Graces - it's easily the worst of the Tales of games I've played. The world/dungeons/story/characters are all absolutely dire, IMO. The only thing I liked about it was Pascal.

Vesperia is my favourite in the series, with Abyss coming in second, and I think either of those (Abyss is on 3DS) would be a decent starting point. It's true about un-signposted sidequests, so a guide is recommended if you want to do all that stuff (I did most of it). Vesperia is probably my favourite jRPG of its generation, so I may be slightly biased :p

But yeah, generally I'd say your best bets for a 'my first Tales of game' would be Vesperia (360), Xillia (PS3) or Abyss (3DS). Vesperia is also pretty affordable these days, as it got a new print run a couple of years back. Amazon currently have it for ~24 quid, and it's on Games on Demand for ~20. [EDIT Actually, having re-read that, I think uiruki meant it had the highest budget, rather than purchase price :p ]

There's also Symphonia on PS3 if you don't mind it being based on the iffy PS2 version - it's expensive to find the GC original now.

Edited by Ror at 15:15:47 15-08-2016
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 15:20:48
    @Ror If i am honest, i may have got rid of my old consoles (part of my missus allowing me to have a PS4 & X1)

Do you know if any are on vita? (i noticed you had a 3ds game on there which i will pick up)
  • uiruki 15 Aug 2016 15:22:16 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think Hearts is in English. I understand the translation takes a few liberties but the underlying game is solid. It'd probably feel quite low budget after Persona but you get used to it after a while.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 15:26:32 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Tales of Hearts R is. I pre-ordered it, but haven't gotten around to it yet, bar a quick go at the first half-hour. A mate who's also a fan of the series really enjoyed it though.

There's also Zestiria on PS4, which is alright, but I wouldn't recommend it as your introduction to the series. Hopefully Vesperia will get added to XBO BC before long, and then you could play that on there.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 15:29:45
    I have Zestiria on the PS4, am holding off on playing it atm (was gonna finsih TitS first)

I am slowly realising how many RPG's i have missed over the years.

Will spend some time building up my collection.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 15:33:23
    Hearts is only 25 on ps store atm... am buying now lol

and abyss is only 20 on amazon so will get that when i get home (have amazon vouchers)

Edited by Graxlar_v2 at 15:34:04 15-08-2016
  • uiruki 15 Aug 2016 15:33:56 4,832 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The best thing to do would be to space them out then! It's very easy to get burned out.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 15:41:56 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, definitely. You don't want to play a bunch of Tales of games back to back!

Wow, I just checked on Amazon and Hearts R is going for 50! Marketplace sellers only, so I guess they only printed a limited run - they did that with both Vesperia and Abyss 3DS originally, but each game got a second run.
  • Humperfunk 15 Aug 2016 16:04:57 7,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    When you defeat Van, the game seems to wind up... and then all the bad guys come back and you have another thirty hours of game.

Spoilered to be on the safe side.
    Ah yeah I remember!
  • Humperfunk 15 Aug 2016 16:05:53 7,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ror Oh cool, I have Hearts R as a physical release!

Great game too, stupidly haven't finished it and really need to.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 16:08:13 18,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Humperfunk Yeah, same. I was quite excited about it at the time, but just haven't found the time to play it. With the new Steins;Gate on the horizon, it's just going to get pushed further back.
  • Humperfunk 15 Aug 2016 16:21:48 7,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep same here :)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 Aug 2016 17:31:53 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hearts R translation wasn't too bad in general to my ear but it was obvious they wrote a script for a dub that never happened with characters having different names in text to the Japanese speech. I played through R in English and it is a bit bigger than the DS original with some extra bits and an extra character.

As for personal favourites, like most people I have a soft spot for my first which was Destiny on PS1, but if you go by which ones I got around to finishing (or close to) we have Symphonia (probably a good starter for the 3D ones even if the PS3 version has a few deficiencies compared to the GC original), Tempest (because it was short, it really isn't a good entry and had the easiest blandest battles (full auto most of the way) and was so unpopular it got demoted from mainline to secondary Tales of game), Hearts and Hearts R (personally I liked the spritework and look of Hearts better but R is fine too really), Abyss (I remember enjoying it and the fof system being pointless but not much to add), Graces f (finished main game and most of f arc, had some annoying dungeons with lifts but inoffensive enough and I enjoyed playing it, I even enjoyed some of the colour puzzles), and Zestiria (on PS4, had a few camera issues and the weapon upgrading was a bit crappy but looked nice and ran smoothly and the plot did the job)

The rest I haven't played much or enough to fairly judge even though I own most titles and a few rereleases (I think Vesperia PS3 is most notable omission). Symphonia was popular enough so must have been a decent starting point so will say that one on PS3, otherwise either of the handheld entries in English should be fine. On PC you just have Symphonia and Zeatiria to choose from I think.

And, urk SG0 soon, not preordered yet but doesn't look like any LEs coming so may just get it ordered soon.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 17:57:58
    What is steins gate? Is it a danganrompa type game?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.