Following Tales of Berseria Page 4

• Ror 15 Aug 2016 19:13:27 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 It's a visual novel about a bunch of otaku in Akihabara who accidentally create a time machine. It's probably my favourite video game story ever, tbh, and gets surprisingly dark in places. It's essential for Vita owners, IMO.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 19:44:03
    Ror wrote:
    @Graxlar_v2 It's a visual novel about a bunch of otaku in Akihabara who accidentally create a time machine. It's probably my favourite video game story ever, tbh, and gets surprisingly dark in places. It's essential for Vita owners, IMO.
    Good to know, Amazon have the art book version for 18 so will see what that is like.
  • Ror 15 Aug 2016 19:59:10 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's the version I have. The art book is just screens (well, the art itself) from the game, but for only a few quid extra you may as well. Just make sure to stick with it - some find the opening hours a bit of a slog, but basically everyone agrees that it's worth the investment of time.
  • Humperfunk 15 Aug 2016 20:07:19 8,004 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was in my top 3 after Witcher and MGSV last year Grax, get on it!
  • Deleted user 15 August 2016 20:09:33
    Aye, I will do. I recently subbed to crunchyroll so am having a bit of an anime binge as it is. A visual novel might be a nice change of pace for my lunch breaks
  • oldskooldeano 15 Aug 2016 20:22:33 2,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Top game and Anime Grax. We all need a little Kurisu Makise in our life! I played the game on PC after watching the anime.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2016 14:21:46
    My copy of Steins gate has arrived. the art book is very lovely (though i don't think my missus will appreciate it)

any idea of how long it takes to complete? as i am not sure if i should start this before or after i finish TitS SC
  • Ror 16 Aug 2016 14:30:59 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oooh, about a hundred hours, if you're me.

You're not though.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2016 14:38:02
    \o/ i imagine about 20 hours then. I have just found out the anime is on netflix as well so can watch that too.
  • Ror 16 Aug 2016 14:42:16 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are six endings, but you can skip through to each of them quite quickly. I just decided to replay large chunks of the game leading up to each ending, which is why it took me so long. You're probably still looking at a good 40-50 hours if you want to see them all. And you should. Especially the true ending, which is absolutely perfect.

Also, do yourself a favour and watch the anime only after you've fully completed the game. It's nowhere near as good as the game.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2016 14:47:38
    ok, so play game 6 times and then watch the anime.

Will do :) May have to sack off study tonight to get a few hours in.
  • Ror 16 Aug 2016 14:50:04 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exactly :p
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 09:35:08 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Played the first few hours last night. I'd put up a video but it's been very story heavy. I'm enjoying it so far; Rokurou and Magilou have been a good antidote to Velvet's edgetastic thirst for revenge. The battle system has clicked a lot quicker than usual too, and I like the ebb and flow of building up soul gems (basically CC) by countering or KO'ing enemies and then using them to spark off more powerful attacks.

Still getting moments where the game can't load stuff in time though, oddly. I've had the odd multiple second pause while it flails around trying to load the "use item" particle effect or animations playing with massively delayed sound.
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 12:09:16 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers uiruki, appreciate the impressions as always.

A question (and I realise this will be hard, maybe even impossible to answer, because opinions), but does it feel like they've actually made an effort this time? Zestiria just felt so uninspired, like they were going through the motions.
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 13:52:23 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think systematically they definitely have. That's clear from the demo (first demo since the Vita remakes, first for a main title since Vesperia). I remain to be convinced by the areas but they are (so far at least) less flat and open. They seem smaller but the loading is quick so far. Certainly compared to Zestiria they seem to be actively trying to keep the player involved with the plot and characters and there are more voiced lines as part of the story. I've gone through a couple of bits where I'm walking around talking to people, with voiced lines.

I'll try and get some video up tonight if I get round to it. It looks like they've blocked all share button usage which seems faintly ridiculous, especially after Xillia 2 being the first game I noticed a screenshot function in the XMB for.

Edit: actually, another pointer is that it is at 4.5 stars for the PS4 version on Amazon Japan!

Edited by uiruki at 13:54:01 18-08-2016
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 14:02:01 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers, that all sounds pretty encouraging! Especially the Amazon jp reviews, that's a surprise. Would love to see some video if you do get a chance.

Did you play Zestiria on PS3? The PS4 version of that blocked share functions as well.
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 14:04:15 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, it was only a PS3 game in Japan until very recently.
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 14:06:48 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah right, of course.
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 14:08:04 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It was only available on disc too - no digital release! Ended up getting someone who went to Japan on holiday to pick up a second hand copy.
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 14:17:50 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's odd, considering it had a digital release outside of Japan.
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 14:52:50 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The previous PS3 ones didn't either.
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 14:56:44 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do Bamco just not see much call for digital versions of these games in Japan?
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 15:53:30 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think it's licensing for the intro music if it's anything. You get stuff like Kamen Rider games on PS3 not coming out on download too and it can only be a licensing thing.
  • uiruki 18 Aug 2016 22:40:08 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got a video uploading now, coincidentally of the least interesting area I've been through so far! There was another video I took but it was a bit too story heavy, I think.

It should be done overnight (1080p60 video takes a lot of space and I've not mastered the process to reduce it for Youtube) so I'll link it when I've made sure it's OK.
  • Ror 18 Aug 2016 22:45:32 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brilliant, cheers uiruki. I look forward to seeing it.

Also, as to your earlier point, I guess that makes sense. After all, we've had censored OP songs in the past due to license issues.
  • uiruki 19 Aug 2016 06:49:06 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks like it uploaded OK so here it is.

• Deleted user 19 August 2016 08:17:51
    certainly pretty :)
  • uiruki 19 Aug 2016 08:48:23 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, it's definitely still a port up from the PS3 but like the Ryu ga Gotoku up-ports the graphics are very clear and 60fps helps a lot.
  • Ror 23 Aug 2016 00:25:56 18,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched up to about the thirty-minute mark and I like what I'm seeing. Some thoughts:

I like Velvet's fighting style/battle animation, looks fun chaining attacks into her crazy-arm-thing form.

Edna's big brother at ~6 min.

Skits certainly look much more dynamic, that's a nice change.

~15 min mark, looks like map actions are back?

Oh God, Turtlez are back? Noooooo.

I'll check out the rest of it tomorrow. Cheers for uploading that uiruki, I feel a bit more at ease about it having watched some of that. Are you still enjoying it?
  • uiruki 23 Aug 2016 15:45:52 4,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I actually played up to about the 18 hour mark over the weekend so definitely! The fields aren't fantastic but I do like the battles a lot. I'm going to try a bit more to take up other characters (Eizen can just warp around and make massive explosions happen, for example, while Magilou just summons a massive column of fire to counter enemies casting spells) but once you're on you can just constantly do flashy, noisy stuff with Velvet which is a lot of fun. Being stunned (which costs you SG is a massive pain and can lead to characters getting overwhelmed but that's what the character quick swap is for - it swaps out the character that's being beaten up and the guy coming in gains 1 SG so they can immediately put the hurt on.

Map actions are definitely in, and there have been a few areas I've been unable to traverse so far. I might record some more gameplay at some point but it's Deus Ex tonight!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.