Recommend a laptop! Page 5

Next Last
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2020 06:45:24 93,610 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @kentmonkey I think for that price, you're looking at an entry level Chromebook. Although I have no idea about SharePoint on those. How is she with Google Docs etc?

Edited by Dougs at 07:16:59 08-01-2020
  • rice_sandwich 8 Jan 2020 07:04:05 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had a couple of Chromebooks. At the budget price point they are all about the same spec and performance. Build quality may vary with some being more plasticky or having slightly worse screens. 4gb ram is preferable to 2gb.

They obviously work best when online all the time although you can work offline too by installing browser extensions. Some CBs can install apps from the Google store.

Google docs really chugs when editing documents longer than 50 pages. Budget CBs are acceptable for light work but not exactly a pleasure to use, though not are they terrible.
  • Daz190uk 8 Jan 2020 07:37:39 412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought one of these for 629 in the Currys Black Friday sale: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3520sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198863-pdt.html

It's not my primary gaming machine, have a desktop for that, but wanted an all rounder where I could also do some light gaming on the sofa.

I have been hugely impressed - the MX 250 is actually pretty capable.

I would say it's base X1/PS4 level and, sometimes, better. I can run Destiny 2 at 720p at 60fps for example. It would do 1080p at 30 fps with ease if I wanted it too. For more CPU demanding strategy games etc it runs really well.

Quite amazing really.
  • kentmonkey 8 Jan 2020 08:17:51 23,519 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs she's never used Google docs, but uses office at work and OpenOffice at home, so should be able to go between them fairly comfortably.

The Cloudbooks can be had for a similar price for similar specs, but you seem to trade off better compatibility (with USB/SD card devices, so we could plug the camera in on holiday and get photos off of it, whereas the Chromebook probably couldn't) and printing etc. But you then have to use the MS store for apps/programs rather than Google, and it wouldn't interface so well with her Google calendar, etc.
  • kentmonkey 8 Jan 2020 08:19:42 23,519 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich that's helpful. Most things she'd be working on would be no more than 20 pages, but there will be the odd occasion where she'd get a 50-80 pager to work on.

I've heard that about the screens -Chromebooks mostly have poor screens it seems, especially at the budget level.
  • rice_sandwich 8 Jan 2020 09:46:35 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Yes, you pretty much get what you pay for. The screens are not amazing but are usable. The mouse pads on the CBs I've used have not been great and the keyboards are ok. I see that Argos / PC World have a fairly wide range, though most cost more than you're looking to pay.

The main advantage is that they are simple to use and easy to reset if they get messed up. You don't have to bother about Windows updates, drivers etc. For web browsing and simple office stuff they are a perfectly serviceable option. If cheap CBs were a game they'd get 6/10.
  • kentmonkey 8 Jan 2020 09:50:29 23,519 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @rice_sandwich thanks and I think the latter point is a good one... That's good though for what she needs.

The most important thing is for it to be quick and hassle free. She's not the least bit technical and will throw anything my way as soon as it needs updating or confirming. So simple over specs for her (there's a joke about me in there somewhere).

I'll pop into the local Curry's at the weekend and try out a couple of entry level Chromebooks, and possibly a Cloudbook as well, and then order or from AO or John Lewis. 😄
  • Singularity 18 Mar 2020 07:54:11 3,238 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Singularity 18 Mar 2020 07:54:12 3,238 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.