Recommend a laptop! Page 2

• grey_matters 12 Jun 2016 19:54:38 4,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you wait a month or two?

There's bound to be a very nice step-up in laptop graphics very soon. For a 1200 machine, you may want to max out its (moderate) gaming lifetime.
  • Barrel_Trollz 12 Jun 2016 20:07:03 774 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It can certainly wait, yeah. I have an equivalent machine, and it's about at the end of being able to run things to an acceptable degree.
    And it looks like NVIDIA won't release m-series cards any longer. Would a theoretical 1060 still be used in a laptop of this form factor? :/

Edited by Barrel_Trollz at 20:12:13 12-06-2016
  • grey_matters 12 Jun 2016 20:19:33 4,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Barrel_Trollz wrote:
    It can certainly wait, yeah. I have an equivalent machine, and it's about at the end of being able to run things to an acceptable degree.
    And it looks like NVIDIA won't release m-series cards any longer. Would a theoretical 1060 still be used in a laptop of this form factor? :/
    Maybe. It'd have to be a bit underclocked though I think, which may well be their plan. I'm not sure what the power budget is for this form factor, maybe 50 watts? Whatever ends up in there it'll be far better than a 960m anyway. No idea on the timeline though so it may be bad advice to wait.
  • Barrel_Trollz 13 Jun 2016 01:11:18 774 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The deadline is in two months time, so, if there's no word on something similar in this price range and form factor, I'll probably go for the Asus or the Inspiron.
  • Zidargh 13 Jun 2016 10:30:43 2,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So BigOrkWaaagh makes a grand suggestion with the Dell Inspiron. I recently (as in last week) bought this when it was on sale for 700.

He's linked you to a cracking deal there given that I'd need to spend at least another 100 to upgrade the SSD/RAM (fuck sake).

Performance-wise, here are a couple of thoughts from around 5 hours with it:

- It's running Total War: Warhammer on High pretty smoothly
    - Portability-wise, I think I'll cope backpacking it. It's definitely not a 'Notebook' per se, but 2.6 kg isn't going to send you to physio.
    - Very easy to upgrade the RAM if you know what you're doing and don't bend the release clips unnecessarily like I did -_-;

One thing to bear in mind is that there are articles saying that 4k screens aren't worth it when it comes to gaming. For one, games aren't utilising such technology, but you'll also need a much more powerful GPU to run them if optimised. Depends what you're looking for I guess.
  • Barrel_Trollz 15 Jun 2016 17:51:16 774 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll definitely stick to FHD when running games, but I think this spec of GPU and CPU would work for me, at this form factor. It's definitely between the Inspiron and the Asus... Just depends on whether I can justify a 4K screen and a PCIe drive.
  • Bowzer43 15 Jun 2016 19:36:06 1,891 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worth trawling eBay I picked up an ex-demo one of these Asus laptops for 600.

Stuck an extra 8GB RAM (25 from crucial) and it's smooth as silk.

Bargains to be had if you are specific in your search and are not in a hurry.
  • THFourteen 15 Jun 2016 21:09:38 53,012 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure if thunderbolt ports are something to consider for the future

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/5-irresistible-graphics-cards-enclosures-for-pc-gaming-from-ces-2016-1312763
  • robthehermit 4 Oct 2016 18:00:53 7,460 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My daughter has just started her phd and needs a half decent laptop. Being a poor student with no job her budget is around the 400 mark (although I'm prepared to chip in a bit extra for a decent one)

Her requirements:

Reasonably light.
    Built to withstand her cackhandedness. (I swear she can break things just by looking at them.)
    Won't be used for games.
    Will definitely be used for watching films, tv etc.
    Must have dvd drive.
    Should last her forever.

I realise that there are 100's of laptops up to that sort of price point, but if anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated.
  • dagoberto 4 Oct 2016 18:18:01 323 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have a look on hduk, decent deals pop up all the time on there.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/computers/deals/discussed
  • MMMarmite 4 Oct 2016 18:36:05 1,602 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you don't mind second-hand I'd look around eBay for a Thinkpad T-series, should be able to get a decent spec ex-business machine for well under that price. You may even be able to find a machine at the top of your budget or a little over with remaining manufacturer warranty.
  • Zerobob 4 Nov 2016 15:15:42 2,263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been stewing over which new laptop to buy for a while now. I'd love a laptop that can play the latest games but I've come to the conclusion that laptops and gaming just don't mix. Gaming laptops get hot and they have no battery life. If anyone knows any different I'm all ears. Price isn't an issue... I just want a quality laptop that runs cool, especially when just doing basic things like web browsing, is capable of running low-spec casual games, but isn't too bulky.

Ruling out gaming laptops, I've decided to go the ultrabook route and I've narrowed my search down to the 7th Gen Kaby Lake versions of the Dell XPS 13 and the Razer Blade Stealth. What puts me off buying the XPS 13 is the lack of an HDMI port, a slightly dull screen at max brightness (I tried it out in a shop), and a poor webcam placement. What puts me off the Stealth is the smaller screen and thick screen bezel, Razer being a small company with apparently non-existent customer service, reports of low build quality, and no backlighting of secondary keyboard functions.

Has anyone had any experience of either the Dell XPS 13 or Razer Blade Stealth?
  • francisbaud 25 Nov 2016 04:30:34 11 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I've been stewing over which new laptop to buy for a while now. I'd love a laptop that can play the latest games but I've come to the conclusion that laptops and gaming just don't mix. Gaming laptops get hot and they have no battery life. If anyone knows any different I'm all ears. Price isn't an issue... I just want a quality laptop that runs cool, especially when just doing basic things like web browsing, is capable of running low-spec casual games, but isn't too bulky.

Ruling out gaming laptops, I've decided to go the ultrabook route and I've narrowed my search down to the 7th Gen Kaby Lake versions of the Dell XPS 13 and the Razer Blade Stealth. What puts me off buying the XPS 13 is the lack of an HDMI port, a slightly dull screen at max brightness (I tried it out in a shop), and a poor webcam placement. What puts me off the Stealth is the smaller screen and thick screen bezel, Razer being a small company with apparently non-existent customer service, reports of low build quality, and no backlighting of secondary keyboard functions.

Has anyone had any experience of either the Dell XPS 13 or Razer Blade Stealth?
    Agreed, laptops and gaming generally isn't a good mix. Unless we play games that do not demand too much GPU/CPU like MOBAs. Anyway for equivalent performances, I think that PCs are almost always cheaper than laptops.
  • mal 25 Nov 2016 04:45:29 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    francisbaud wrote:
    Anyway for equivalent performances, I think that PCs are almost always cheaper than laptops.
    I'm not sure how true that is; laptops being a dying breed has made manufacturers really cut their margins, so you can get something stupidly powerful for not a lot of money these days. Desktops are further along the curve and in some iron lung, being spoon fed baby food or something, and there's not much of a functioning market there any more to push prices down.

Maybe that's a simplification. All I really know is my dad bought a stupidly expensive desktop this year to do basic web browsing on and very little more.
  • kentmonkey 25 Nov 2016 20:03:09 23,141 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Would this be an alright buy for a general family machine?

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-310-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p2901213?colour=Silver#tabinfo-spcl-offr

I've got a 2 year old Asus that is embarassingly slow on Win 10, presumably due to only 2gb ram and a shitty processor.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2016 20:09:41
    I bought 2 laptops today to test out. I'll keep one and give the other to my lad.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6183378

I got this for under 800 with laptop10 code and using a 50 voucher I had.

Also grabbed this from amazon

ASUS ROG Strix 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz, FHD 1920 x 1080 Screen, NVIDIA Pascal GTX1060 (6 GB), 16 GB, 1 TB + 128 GB SSD, Windows 10) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M04CZUH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gOjoybNNDYFSC

Got 150 off this via work so 1200 all in.

I'll be interested to actually see the differences between the 2.
  • THFourteen 25 Nov 2016 20:40:58 53,012 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Enjoy burning a hole in your lap...

I reckon you should have got a slim one and used steam streaming!
  • Dirtbox 25 Nov 2016 20:46:42 91,192 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 25 Nov 2016 20:51:42 53,012 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I use a laptop on my lap when i'm sitting on the sofa almost every day of the week!
  • Deleted user 25 November 2016 20:54:23
    @THFourteen You may as well just put your testicles in the microwave.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2016 20:57:53
    Yeah I can't remember the last time I actually placed a laptop on my lap on its own. I've got an awesome custom made beanbag tray thingy that makes leg melters a non issue.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2016 20:58:41
    THFourteen wrote:

Never actually tried steam streaming yet. Does it work well?
  • FWB 26 Nov 2016 11:22:30 56,195 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    I bought 2 laptops today to test out. I'll keep one and give the other to my lad.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6183378

I got this for under 800 with laptop10 code and using a 50 voucher I had.

Also grabbed this from amazon

ASUS ROG Strix 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz, FHD 1920 x 1080 Screen, NVIDIA Pascal GTX1060 (6 GB), 16 GB, 1 TB + 128 GB SSD, Windows 10) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M04CZUH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gOjoybNNDYFSC

Got 150 off this via work so 1200 all in.

I'll be interested to actually see the differences between the 2.
    What do you guys think of that second one?
  • Deleted user 26 November 2016 12:22:04
    @FWB

I may send it back and get the i5 model which is cheaper.
  • FWB 26 Nov 2016 12:28:50 56,195 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Any reason? The price difference not worth it?
  • Deleted user 26 November 2016 12:38:46
    Not sure to be honest. Still pondering over it all.
  • ibenam 26 Nov 2016 12:56:21 3,234 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Addyb be will be back to console gaming soon.
  • THFourteen 26 Nov 2016 13:05:39 53,012 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Never actually tried steam streaming yet. Does it work well?
    Works great actually. I mean i wouldn't play multiplayer twitch shooters on it, but have played a tonne of other games on it fine - Witcher 3, Civ, Diablo 3 etc

Does depend on your network configuration at home though
  • Deleted user 26 November 2016 13:16:38
    ibenam wrote:
    Addyb be will be back to console gaming soon.
    I do own a PS4 and a Wii U lol
  • FWB 26 Nov 2016 14:00:26 56,195 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I do need a computer. Has to be a laptop now and wanted it for gaming too. Been holding out for these new cards after me tioning this before on here and willing to drop about 1500.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.