Following Should Marijuana (Weed) Be Legal in the UK? Page 2

• the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2016 14:08:46 7,988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes. I don't smoke it, have no intention to. But the fact that it remains illegal whilst alcohol and nicotine are legal is fucking stupid. Same with any drug, there's next to nothing wrong with it as long as its used in moderation and sensibly.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 9 Jan 2016 14:11:35 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's a good point, but there will always be people looking to do illegal shit for a thrill. I know a guy who is a hard worker, a good person, and completely sensible usually, yet he can't resist trying to steal a bottle of some liquor (which he doesn't even drink, beer only) every time he goes clubbing. Loves getting away with it. Gombeen.

Genuinely, does anyone have any informing statistics (crime rates, productivity etc.) from the places it's legal? I wouldn't know where to begin with a Google search.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2016 14:12:40
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Alcohol is advertised in the UK too. I think weed shouldn't be advertised. Treat it like cigarettes.
    I agree but I'd love to know how they would advertise it.
    Hopefully by using Stoner Sloth.

:)
  • HarryPalmer 9 Jan 2016 14:15:57 5,889 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Hey! You know all that shit you're supposed to be doing? Fahgettaboudit!"
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2016 14:17:04 7,988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs http://www.mintpressnews.com/new-schools-less-crime-colorado-sees-benefits-of-marijuana-legalization/208751/
  • sport 9 Jan 2016 14:31:35 14,998 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Goddamn stoner thread!
  • BillMurray 9 Jan 2016 14:34:34 9,421 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes.

Edit* Also this..

Physically_Insane wrote:
    I'm a liberal. I believe all drugs should be legal. I'm not suggesting that you can pop into your local Tesco and pick a up a bag of heroin, but it should be more like Portugal - if you need a hit, go to your local GP or whatever, they can safely give you a dose and look after you. It's been proven that this helps people slowly minimise their drug use and eventually stop altogether.
    Edited by BillMurray at 14:37:55 09-01-2016
  • FartPipe 9 Jan 2016 14:35:55 5,307 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    No. Why legalise a damaging drug? Would you want your kid to be a pot head? On an individual level I don't think the government have the right to say you can't l, but on a societal level they have a duty to.
    Alcohol is more damaging yet that's legal.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 9 Jan 2016 14:39:25 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid thanks! Interesting stuff.

Ive found a lot of economic articles, but nothing really covering productivity of the workforce or average weight and wellbeing of citizens where it's legal. :/
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2016 14:39:58 5,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    true, marijuana can lead to mental issues, memory loss etc. but then so can alcohol.

I don't smoke, but I do drink a bit (though not that much these days), and I think it's objectively pretty weird that one substance is perfectly legal and another is illegal.
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2016 14:43:48 5,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But it's possible to enjoy an occasional drink without being an alcoholic. It's also possible to smoke marijuana occasionally without being a pothead.
  • sport 9 Jan 2016 14:46:49 14,998 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    But it's possible to enjoy an occasional drink without being an alcoholic. It's also possible to smoke marijuana occasionally without being a pothead.
    The problem is when they're not smoking, they're telling you about it. Worse than vegetarians and crossfitters.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 9 Jan 2016 14:50:50 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sport wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    The problem is when they're not smoking, they're telling you about it. Worse than vegetarians and crossfitters.
    There's one guy I smoke with who has to comment on the potency, good or bad, of whatever we've managed to obtain every time. Every time. It wrecks my tits. You're not alone, we hate them too xoxo
  • BillMurray 9 Jan 2016 14:50:58 9,421 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sport wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Looking at my Facebook 'news' feed, fitness addicts by far the worst culprits. I personally only ever talk about weed with people who I smoke with, because I know how dull it'd be to anyone else listening.
  • JoelStinty 9 Jan 2016 14:54:19 7,865 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RoyBatty wrote:
    I used to smoke it quite a lot and I definitely think its bad for the brain. There's no doubt in my mind that it leads to mental health problems. It also turns people it socially retarded dullards. That being said people should be allowed to do what they want so yeah why not. But if it is so should ecstasy.
    Yeah i think pretty much this. Used to smoke an eighth every couple of nights with my flat mates. And i do think in the long term it does lead to mental health problems.

On the other hand i think that is partially down to the shit that is sold over here. Just going to amsterdam and smoking that stuff was a bit of an eye opener into how groggy and heavy the stuff i was buying in the uk was.

I think legalising , at least you could control what is being sold, what strength it is, and make sure it pure so to speak.
  • FartPipe 9 Jan 2016 14:55:55 5,307 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    FartPipe wrote:
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    No. Why legalise a damaging drug? Would you want your kid to be a pot head? On an individual level I don't think the government have the right to say you can't l, but on a societal level they have a duty to.
    Alcohol is more damaging yet that's legal.
    And? I didn't think the question was "should alcohol be illegal?"
    So then why should weed be illegal?
  • TheMayorOfJugs 9 Jan 2016 14:56:25 6,489 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Fourfoldroot haha, can't argue with the prostitution point :)

You can get addicted to anything though. Exercise, sewing, sex, gardening, tickling roadkill with sledgehammers, it's all dependent on an individual really. I know people who sponge off the government, have council houses, are addicted to weed/alcohol/cigs, do nothing with their lives. I also know people who travel the world, have good jobs, paint, play in bands, graft 9-5 5/6 days a week, have mad social lives and wouldn't dream of being on the dole, who also couldn't go a day without cigs or alcohol or weed.

Then I know people at both ends who don't touch substances at all. It's a strange world.
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2016 14:58:37 5,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    true, marijuana can lead to mental issues, memory loss etc. but then so can alcohol.

I don't smoke, but I do drink a bit (though not that much these days), and I think it's objectively pretty weird that one substance is perfectly legal and another is illegal.
    America tried to criminalise alcohol. Taught us all the criminalising addictive substances once widespread is incredibly difficult; this tells me not to legalise addictive substances in the first place, of which weed is one.
    That's undoubtedly true, it's hard to re-criminalise substances once they're legal and widespread.

But I still don't think marijuana (and some other substances) should be criminalised in the first place.
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2016 15:04:53 5,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    Only weed is worse because it damages the efficiency with which society can function and remain rational and cohesive.
    I don't think the decriminalising of marijuana would lead to society crumbling. If marijuana was legal the world would continue in much the same way as it currently does.
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2016 15:12:52 5,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And I fundamentally disagree with the idea that thousands of people who, as you put it, contribute to society are labelled criminals because of their choice of recreational aid.
  • reddevil93 9 Jan 2016 15:15:08 14,949 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say the people that can't get a job because they are locked up on weed charges, paid for by tax payers money are more of a burden on society than weed smokers.

You're really overestimating how much it impairs people's ability to function.

Not to mention all the money weed being illegal makes for criminals.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.