I just donít think I have the skills to do this part

https://youtu.be/PwhGyQ5XgYg
  • Spectral 13 Jul 2019 23:03:34 6,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

Even if it doesn't end up quite perfect, it'll still look pretty damn cool imo.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2019 23:13:19
    THFourteen wrote:

I'd royally mess that up.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2019 08:29:33
    Decided to not buy the gpd xd. As I went down the emulation device rabbit hole last night I discovered my switch has a serial that allows me to put homebrew on it. Tonight I'll give it a whirl and try and test some systems on it.
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2019 08:52:14 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Be careful not to get banned.

Been sizing the Bartop arcade up a bit more. I already have a pi3 and memory card. Would be looking at:
    Monitor - £20
    Speakers + amp - £25
    Joysticks and buttons - £30
    Cabinet and Artwork - £100
    T-Moulding - £10

Edited by THFourteen at 09:08:09 14-07-2019
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2019 09:18:42 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís a moot point really itís now just a question of when rather than if I less the button.

FFS.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2019 09:29:07
    THFourteen wrote:
    Itís a moot point really itís now just a question of when rather than if I less the button.

FFS.
    Buy!!
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2019 10:44:28 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nrrrrrrgh
  • Spectral 14 Jul 2019 11:23:52 6,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't want to put a dampener on your plans or anything but do bear in mind the significantly more powerful Pi4 is out now and a version of retropie is currently being worked on for it. Depending on how easy it would be to swap out the boards in that thing, you may want to wait and see.

Edit: You could email the seller and ask if you can have them pre-apply the art work for you before shipping. They may have a charge for it but at least it takes the worry out if they do it.

Edited by Spectral at 11:25:46 14-07-2019
  • Deleted user 14 July 2019 12:32:38
    I need another micro SD card. Doesn't appear to be any decent deals on 400gb and above though.
  • Spectral 14 Jul 2019 12:34:47 6,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Addy__ If you have prime, prime day on amazon starts tomorow(probably midnight tonight). SD cards tend to feature quite prominently in their sales so worth keeping an eye out.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2019 12:43:45
    @Spectral

Ooo good shout that. I do have prime.
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2019 16:41:02 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Spectral

Thatís fine, the pie is pretty much normal cables so as long as I donít fix it inside the cabinet I can replace it easy enough, the joystick and buttons come with a usb encoder and the video is hdmi to dvi and the audio just a 3.5mm jack.

Spent all afternoon sorting my large backup of previously owned software ROM collection. Unbelievable that I really used to own 850 SNES games eh...

Whatís the best system a pi3 can emulate? N64/ps1?
  • Spectral 14 Jul 2019 17:20:20 6,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @THFourteen N64 is no go, technically they run, but they're a slow glitchy mess. PS1 runs more or less full speed on most games but when I tried it I got a lot of graphical glitches, particularly with reduced draw distance causing some weird looking backgrounds. But it's been a while since I tried PS1, the emulator may have been updated since then.

For older stuff your more or less good to go. All the main 8/16 bit consoles run great, so do the handhelds up to GBA. Older arcade stuff also runs great but it can't handle the more advanced/complicated games. Nothing that uses CHD's runs well, so no killer instinct or SF3,etc. Fingers crossed the Pi4 will fix most of those problems, it's significantly more powerful.

Personally I'm planning on using my Pi3B+ for the stuff as a mini console with just the best of the best(and a not so great but nostalgic to me) from the stuff it can run flawlessly. Then later get a Pi4 for the throw everything at it build. I'm even kind of tempted to get another so I can have this one as a dedicated Nintendo machine(its in a snes case) and another for Sega in a Mega Drive case.

Edited by Spectral at 17:27:38 14-07-2019
  • Your-Mother 14 Jul 2019 18:38:52 3,278 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For an arcade cab, itís usually worth spending a little extra and getting a cheap PC for it, even a NUC will run rings around the Pi (even the 4), loses the heavy reliance on Retroarch so you can use decent Naomi and Model 2/3 emus, and allows you to use decent CRT shaders without latency or slowdown.

Sure, a Pi can handle most of the basic MAME set easily enough, but youíre out of luck completely if you want anything 3D (or even later Neo Geo)
  • THFourteen 14 Jul 2019 19:20:36 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Your-Mother

Yeah I imagine Iíll use it twice before it collects dust. Will skip on the PC for now, but upgrading my motherboard and next year so could easily swap out for an actual PC which would be cool.
  • Spectral 14 Jul 2019 19:27:05 6,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Your-Mother

Yeah I imagine Iíll use it twice before it collects dust. Will skip on the PC for now, but upgrading my motherboard and next year so could easily swap out for an actual PC which would be cool.
    While not impossible, fitting normal size PC components into a BarTop machine might be a little awkward. From the videos on youtube, there isn't that much space in there. Plus it would make it much heavier.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2019 23:00:44
    Just had confirmation that my RS-97 is now at the UK distribution centre. Lol I don't think I want it anymore now that I'm all into the switch haxx.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2019 00:23:25
    Spectral wrote:
    @Addy__ If you have prime, prime day on amazon starts tomorow(probably midnight tonight). SD cards tend to feature quite prominently in their sales so worth keeping an eye out.
    Thanks for this again mate. Grabbed a 400gb SanDisk for £47.99 in a prime day deal.
  • THFourteen 15 Jul 2019 07:20:07 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__

Mines due for delivery today! Guaranteed it will come when Iím out of the house. Would be great if it came as an away for a few days in Edinburgh from tomorrow!

I have a few homebrew devices eg 3DSXL and a switch that I could homebrew, but wanted this for fitting in my pocket - and being cheap enough that I donít mind if it gets trashed at the pub or football or whatever.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2019 07:21:48
    @THFourteen

Yeah I'm still interested to see how it performs.
  • THFourteen 15 Jul 2019 07:33:48 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Was playing through a few ROMs yesterday of stuff Iíd never played before. Man itís amazing how simple most games were in those days. 90% of what I tried turned out to be side scrolling beat em ups with one button for attack and one to jump and thatís it.

FWIW I also suck at those games. But I got further in final fight than I ever have before thanks to unlimited continues lol.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2019 07:43:49
    THFourteen wrote:
    Was playing through a few ROMs yesterday of stuff Iíd never played before. Man itís amazing how simple most games were in those days. 90% of what I tried turned out to be side scrolling beat em ups with one button for attack and one to jump and thatís it.

FWIW I also suck at those games. But I got further in final fight than I ever have before thanks to unlimited continues lol.
    Final fight becomes a credit guzzler on the boss fights lol.
  • Psiloc 15 Jul 2019 10:04:36 5,273 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Your-Mother

While not impossible, fitting normal size PC components into a BarTop machine might be a little awkward. From the videos on youtube, there isn't that much space in there. Plus it would make it much heavier.
    I've got a bartop that originally started as a netbook-grade PC so I could get the parts comfortably inside. I ended up switching it out for a Pi.

While 3D via MAME is a complete slideshow on the Pi (3B+ anyway), it ran PS1 games much better than the PC so I use PS1 ports to play the 3D stuff where I can. It also boots much quicker. The lack of moving parts I think is relevant too and I'm more confident that it's not going to randomly die on me.
  • THFourteen 15 Jul 2019 16:37:42 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psiloc

I do like the plug and play nature of retroarch and emulationstation on the pi. Plus the scraper is reasonable. Also have a windows tablet with an atom z8350 in it, and itís SO unresponsive by comparison even if the emulation is a bit better.

Ordered the cabinet for £99 with the Marvel superheroes artwork. Not had a project for a while...

Urgh dude just messaged me and talking something about sealing the MDF

Out of my depth already

Edited by THFourteen at 16:55:24 15-07-2019
  • Deleted user 15 July 2019 18:35:50
    RS-97 has arrived. Will give it a test drive later.
  • Psiloc 16 Jul 2019 09:24:11 5,273 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen MDF is kind of permanently dusty unless you treat it with something; he's probably worried your artwork isn't going to stick down. When I did mine I just did a few rounds with some spray primer and then spray painted the whole thing black. The transfer went on lovely after that.

I hope you're good with a craft knife to cut it down to size :) I had to rope in the wife for that bit
  • nudistpete 16 Jul 2019 09:35:33 990 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What screens are you guys using for these projects? I'm looking for a small (7-10") hdmi monitor atm, ideally something that looks good at any viewing angle (ips preferred).
  • Psiloc 16 Jul 2019 09:39:08 5,273 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used a panel from an old 17" 4:3 VGA monitor
  • THFourteen 16 Jul 2019 11:25:49 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @nudistpete

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233285964816

Thatís what I was planning on. Nothing too expensive, itís a budget build.

Might even pop down to the tech guys at work and see if they have spares.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.