Following Retro gaming thread Page 61

• THFourteen 16 Jul 2019 11:26:42 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @THFourteen MDF is kind of permanently dusty unless you treat it with something; he's probably worried your artwork isn't going to stick down. When I did mine I just did a few rounds with some spray primer and then spray painted the whole thing black. The transfer went on lovely after that.

I hope you're good with a craft knife to cut it down to size :) I had to rope in the wife for that bit
    Erm. No. Iím not good at any of those things :-/

I think my artwork is cut to size with a 10mm overlap as itís made by the same guy as the cabinet. So just need to nick the edges and fold over I hope.
  • THFourteen 16 Jul 2019 11:26:52 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @nudistpete

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233285964816

Thatís what I was planning on. Nothing too expensive, itís a budget build.

Might even pop down to the tech guys at work and see if they have spares.
  • THFourteen 16 Jul 2019 11:36:18 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a brief play with the RS97 this morning on the plane, is pretty great for the money tbh.

Even some Amiga games were able to be emulated especially with a frameskip of 1 on, played a bit of chaos engine.

Snes works great too, was playing secrets of mana and killer instinct for a little while.
  • Addy__ 16 Jul 2019 11:58:34 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I've sold mine on. Nothing wrong with it. Just with having a modded 3ds and now a modded switch I really have no need for it.

Talking modded switch I did all that and installed retroarch. Only tested GBA so far which as expected is spot on. Just transferring some other 8/16 bit collections and a few psx and will give them a whirl.

Edited by Addy__ at 22:05:04 16-07-2019
  • K-Project 18 Jul 2019 18:17:24 477 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just ordered one of these RS-97 thingies for myself. They're pretty confusing at the moment as there seems to be so many revisions of the hardware. I made sure the one I ordered has a 60Hz screen though, as the screen tearing would drive me mental.

So they're OK then? I was waiting for the GPi case but I don't think it's coming any time soon, and when it does it'll no doubt get sniped out of the water. Has anyone tried the custom firmwares or are they just good to go out of the box now? Ta folks.
  • Malek86 18 Jul 2019 18:49:32 8,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kinda thinking of starting the N64 version of Shadow Man, which I bought on a whim many years ago.

Yes, it's PAL50, it only has composite video, and I already have the far superior PC version. But... I mean, why not?
  • THFourteen 18 Jul 2019 20:07:35 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @K-Project

Its super straightforward tbh, I just followed this link:
    https://boards.dingoonity.org/retrogamers-97/retrofw-ipk-releases/

Main reason I did it was so that I could clean up all the games and emulators to just the ones I wanted rather than all of them. It also allows you to overclock the CPU (altho this might be available on stock firmware, I never looked).

Havent spent much time on it, my work trip turned out way busier than planned so didn't really get a chance to play. Stuff I've tried seems to work alright, even Amiga stuff can be emulated which is really cool.

Just played a whoel game of SWOS. I suck now.

Edited by THFourteen at 20:46:30 18-07-2019
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 10:01:30 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Has anyone here hack a VIta. Considering trying the Trinity hack on my OLED Vita, but not sure if its worth it.
  • CalamityJames 19 Jul 2019 10:45:23 241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Spectral

Haven't done it myself because I don't want to risk my Vita, but I'm thinking of digging out my unused Playstation TV to give it a try. My understanding, though, is that the Trinity hack isn't permanent, so you're supposed to use it to install older firmware to which you can then apply one of the permanent hacks. The Trinity hack won't survive a complete reboot (i.e. powering down and back up again).

The guide linked to in the Vita Hacks subreddit is pretty thorough. I suspect I'd be breaking some EG rule if I posted a direct link to it, but I'm sure you can find it.
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 11:01:14 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to do the nod, I've done a softmod on a few different consoles before. I'm just a curious if its actually worth doing too. How capable is a hacked Vita, what cool stuff can it do? What emulators can it run well,etc. If its worth it I may end up buying another Vita as while I dont use it much these days, I do have a fair amount of stuff bought for it on PSN that I don't think I'd want to risk losing access too.
  • THFourteen 19 Jul 2019 11:09:21 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pah just realised the cabinet i ordered comes without a monitor mount and perspex for the marquee so i'm gonna have to reach out to the guy and ask for more.

Cost spirals...

Also still at a loss as to what to use to seal the mdf, conflicting advice on the itnernets dont use this, do use this, no dont use that, OMG YOU USED THAT etc.
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 11:11:34 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Pah just realised the cabinet i ordered comes without a monitor mount and perspex for the marquee so i'm gonna have to reach out to the guy and ask for more.

Cost spirals...

Also still at a loss as to what to use to seal the mdf, conflicting advice on the itnernets dont use this, do use this, no dont use that, OMG YOU USED THAT etc.
    Look for a popular thread and use whatever it says. I think you're over thinking it. People get stuck on really minor details that in reality tend to make no real difference.
  • Malek86 19 Jul 2019 11:37:25 8,598 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I underestimated the blurriness of Shadow Man in low res mode.

I'm willing to take a framerate hit to play in high res mode. The extra detail is worth it, and the game is not as fast-paced as Turok anyway.
  • Psiloc 19 Jul 2019 11:43:16 5,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen Again I've done this exact project before and I just used spray primer:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-grey-primer-spray-paint-400ml/p/0413846

Then spray painted it with black spray paint (for additional priming as well as being a decent colour for the bits that show) and then applied the overlay.

I think you're over thinking this part. It's not going to have to stand up to damp or anything nor be a piece of furniture that's in constant use. It's not even floor standing. Plus the vinyl overlay isn't going to hurt with protecting it
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 11:46:26 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Considering they're selling what is supposed to be a pre-prepared kit I do think its a bit dodgy they don't prime it themselves.
  • THFourteen 19 Jul 2019 11:56:36 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psiloc

Spray is a bit annoying - i spray painted my radiators when i watercooled my PC, and i have nowhere to do it except the garden, which was a fucking irritating experience of flies and stuff landing in my work.

The artwork i think covers the sides, control panel, speaker cabinet and front, but i need to paint the top (black) as that will be visible, plus the mdf edges at the front which won't have t-moulding on, only the sides have slots cut i think.

Currently looking at brush based options, this :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ISXQ2E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A295VKDYOR7E7G&psc=1

and then maybe this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008XGQ520/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
  • Your-Mother 19 Jul 2019 15:56:45 2,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    Has anyone here hack a VIta. Considering trying the Trinity hack on my OLED Vita, but not sure if its worth it.
    Itís easy and at this point virtually risk free. Itís worth it even just for being able to use microSD for storage.
  • mrpon 19 Jul 2019 16:14:04 35,330 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the slim/micro USB version?
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 16:31:38 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother Can you still use PSN, PS store,etc? A nice 128GB or 256GB card does sound good. How is it with regards to emulation? Also I am on the latest 3.70 FW. Am I right that my best option is to hack using trinity then use that to downgrade to 3.60 and hack that to an autoboot version?
  • Your-Mother 19 Jul 2019 16:37:34 2,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The hacks work on all versions now. Yep, can still use psn, trophies etc.

This guide covers it the best - https://vita.hacks.guide/get-started

Emulation is great. Everything up to PSX has been flawless for me, N64 aside (but thatís problematic for everything but PC, really). Coupled with the screen (especially the OLED model) itís about the best portable emulation machine you can get.
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 18:15:16 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Going to give it a go and grab a 128GB Micro SD and SD2vita from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. Is there any reason I need to wait for those to arrive before starting or are they ok to add in afterwards?
  • Addy__ 19 Jul 2019 19:10:32 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The hacks work on all versions now. Yep, can still use psn, trophies etc.

This guide covers it the best - https://vita.hacks.guide/get-started

Emulation is great. Everything up to PSX has been flawless for me, N64 aside (but thatís problematic for everything but PC, really). Coupled with the screen (especially the OLED model) itís about the best portable emulation machine you can get.
    Vita is great hacked. It was the best I'd used until I'd messed around with the switch this week. N64 seems to run ok even though I've only tried a couple of games and a handful of Dreamcast games work as well. For the price though obvs vita is top of the pile.
  • THFourteen 19 Jul 2019 20:09:56 52,591 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmmm stuff arrived today and definitely a case of you get what you pay for. The artwork is poor quality, fuzzy. And didnít read the description well enough, missing a Perspex piece for the marquee as well as monitor mount, which will all cost extra.

The mdf is also 12mm not 18mm and further investigation shows not much in the way of tmoulding colours for that size.

Tempted to go through the painful process of an eBay return.

Edited by THFourteen at 20:10:33 19-07-2019
  • Addy__ 19 Jul 2019 20:16:40 1,127 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @THFourteen

That's a shame mate. Fucking hate it when shit like that happens. Hope you get it sorted.
  • monkehhh 19 Jul 2019 23:34:06 5,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Checked up on my 3DS that I did the dodgy stuff to a while back and all seems to be working fine still. Also just dug out the Vita, downgraded it from 3.65 to 3.60 and went through the guide above - no idea what was going on under the hood but it's all working fine.
  • Spectral 19 Jul 2019 23:46:28 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've just done as much of my Vita as I can today too. Followed the guide to get from 3.70 to 3.60 then installed the 3.60 permanent hack along with Adrenaline for running PSP apps. My SD2Vita and 128GB Micro SD should arrive tomorrow so I can finish up.

Edit: I also installed noavls to permanently bypass that ridiculous volume warning.

Edited by Spectral at 23:47:42 19-07-2019
  • SteveThePirate 20 Jul 2019 14:44:02 5 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Anyone tried the retro game 300? thinking of getting one.
  • Spectral 20 Jul 2019 16:16:18 6,280 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well setting up SD2Vita seemed to go smoothly enough. I think that is one successfully hacked Vita.
  • richarddavies 20 Jul 2019 16:22:20 6,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice! I bought mine already done but still the best gaming item I've bought in quite awhile. Amazing bit of kit.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 20 Jul 2019 16:38:06 1,786 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm still not convinced it's safe to do this with a psn account you care about, but it seems like a bit of a faff to me (and I've modded a 3ds recently) - is it not as faffy as it seems? Also, how does FBA run on it?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.