Following Retro gaming thread Page 4

• Fake_Blood 20 Jul 2016 12:33:30 9,584 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    Totally agree about the original XBox. I still have mine on my desk in front of me and a spare mint condition one soft modded still in its box. Still looks good on HDTV if using a component cable.
    Yes the component cable gives a nice picture, no sound though.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 13:11:23
    @the_milkybar_kid

Just drop me a message if you get stuck although I'm no expert lol
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 13:23:34
    Really might treat myself and buy this

http://www.8bitdo.com/fc30joystick/
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2016 13:35:51 8,018 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @addyb Appreciate it :)
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 17:43:40
    Tonight I think I'll get reacquainted with some megadrive games.

Eswat
    Shadow dancer
    Castle of illusion

are on the agenda.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 18:21:37
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Add Desert Strike, surely...
    Yep good call. You know what it's like I keep just remembering games. Those 3 above just came to me. I've a ton more. Will just need a recap from youtube about some.
  • mal 20 Jul 2016 18:33:59 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Streets of Rage
    You're better off with the RRemake, if you know where to get it. There must be a Pi native port of that - I've played it on my Pandora.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 18:39:07
    mal wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Streets of Rage
    You're better off with the RRemake, if you know where to get it. There must be a Pi native port of that - I've played it on my Pandora.
    Funnily enough I was reading up on that earlier. I've got a guide on how to install it so might give it a whirl if I get chance.
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Jul 2016 19:02:47 6,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If I could chip in with some Mega Drive suggestions, Dragon's Fury is a great pinball game. NBA Jam remains one of my all-time favourite sports games. Oh, and Road Rash 1 & 2 are as great as they ever were.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 19:07:11
    I'm trying to think of a wrestling game that was on the megadrive as well. That was pretty cool. It wasn't a wwf game or that JPN ringside angels.

Mmm let me Google.

EDIT: Wrestle War :)

Edited by addyb at 19:08:08 20-07-2016
  • mal 20 Jul 2016 19:15:25 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ooh, and that's reminded me of Cannonball - the improved outrun remake, giving you widescreen, high-res, tilt-o-vision and more.

(skip past the cabinet bit at the start)

You have to build it yourself on Pi, which is a bit involved, but trust me, it's worth it.

https://www.mameau.com/cannonball-for-raspbian-raspberry-pi-compilerunning-guide/
  • the_milkybar_kid 20 Jul 2016 21:58:32 8,018 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I've got the OS up but I can't do fuck all else because I need a keyboard. About to use the one from my computer upstairs that never gets used, but apparently that's from the fucking stone age and has the old purple connector. Exhausted the options that look achievable, tried remote logging in, remote control with my phone, nada. Going to see if a mate has a USB keyboard as I'm too tight / disgruntled / impatient to buy one. FML

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 21:58:43 20-07-2016
  • mal 20 Jul 2016 22:29:29 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How the hell, as a computer user, have you avoided buying a shiny new mechanical keyboard for all these years? They're not even all that expensive now that the gaming brands have started putting out keyboards (and you can still get them with proper brown or blue cherry MX switches if you want).
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 23:29:24
    @the_milkybar_kid

This is why I bought a keyboard. Only £8 from amazon ya tight sod lol.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2016 23:30:37
    Also you only need a keyboard for changing the mame config controls so TAB is set to the pad. I never needed a keyboard to install/configure and add roms to it.
  • HairyArse 21 Jul 2016 00:02:40 1,267 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has retropie gotten easier to configure. It was fiddly the last time I tried it.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 00:20:05
    Hairy-Arse wrote:
    Has retropie gotten easier to configure. It was fiddly the last time I tried it.
    Was easy for me mate. Depends what you mean by configuring?
  • mal 21 Jul 2016 02:01:16 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @milkybarkid

Also, it's occurred to me that a embedded OS like raspian or retropi probably has sshd configured by default. If you can get it on the network you could try sshing in to it from another computer - that should give you a terminal prompt if it's all set up once you've entered username and password, from where you can do compilation, file manipulation or even starting graphical programs. If you're using Windows on the other computer, Putty speaks ssh, I think.
  • the_milkybar_kid 21 Jul 2016 06:30:38 8,018 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well im not really a PC user. Theres one upstairs but never gets used. Just need the keyboard to enter the network password so i can start sharing roms over it. Thats also what i was trying to do, Mal. Connect remotely to it via the laptop, eliminating the need for a keyboard.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 07:19:28
    Ahhh I see now. I just hardwired mine in and I use a 32gb usb stick for my roms.

None of my neogeo games work. I have the bios files but do they have to be all together in a zip? I extracted them and put them in the bios folder instead.
  • jimnastics 21 Jul 2016 07:50:00 1,632 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a wrestling game that was on the megadrive as well. That was pretty cool. It wasn't a wwf game or that JPN ringside angels.

Mmm let me Google.

EDIT: Wrestle War :)
    I have a VHS "screen cap" of an 11 year old me playing Wrestle War in 1993 :D Me and my brother used to go Megadrive -> VHS recorder -> TV and record our battles in games like Wrestle War, Fifa, Micro Machines... unfortunately the Wrestle War recording is all I have, but it's cool :) I need to transfer it and stick it on Youtube one day, an actual proper "from the time" retro gaming video!
  • Banyans 21 Jul 2016 08:27:38 468 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Sorry I only just saw your post but I see addyb has given you all the info!

Hows the buffalo classic controller? I am considering getting two so my daughter and I can play mario kart etc... and I think she will get on with the retro controllers more than the two ds4 controllers we have set up now!

Edited by Banyans at 08:28:53 21-07-2016
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 08:40:37
    @Banyans

It's fine mate. Does the job for what I've used it for up to now.
  • quadfather 21 Jul 2016 09:09:14 34,672 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @addyb

Dammit. You're making me want to get one now!

How much was it, all in?

And how much is that snazzy Chinese arcade joystick? It looks the bollocks
  • jimnastics 21 Jul 2016 09:16:16 1,632 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    So for fellow pi users this is my Amazon shopping basket so far:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard

Raspberry Pi 3 Case - Black/Grey

Raspberry Pi 3 Power adapter UK/EU 5V 2.5A

SanDisk Ultra Android 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card + SD

Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC (snes pad)

JETech® 2.4G Wireless Keyboard

All that lot comes to £80 delivered.
    Hardware wise is that all I need? I have a spare hdmi cable and a 32gb usb stick.

I know I could probably use a DS4 or xbox one pad but I wanted a retro one. Any other recommendations for this?
    I am getting a very bad itchy trigger finger reading this thread. I already have a 360 pad (with PC reciever) and a spare wireless keyboard, meaning in theory I just need the first four iteams to get going?

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard
    Raspberry Pi 3 Case - Black/Grey
    Raspberry Pi 3 Power adapter UK/EU 5V 2.5A
    SanDisk Ultra Android 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card + SD
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 09:41:30
    quadfather wrote:
    @addyb

Dammit. You're making me want to get one now!

How much was it, all in?

And how much is that snazzy Chinese arcade joystick? It looks the bollocks
    £75 all in. Deduct say £25 from that if you already have a pad and keyboard you can use.

That arcade stick is around £80. I want one!!
  • Deleted user 21 July 2016 09:42:02
    @jimnastics

Yep that's all you need.
  • TAJB 21 Jul 2016 09:46:10 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Considering everyone is on the Pokémon Go hype and I can't play it I've reverted to Pokémon Blue for my Poke Mans fix. Still excellent 20 years later ;)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.