DIY

First Previous
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 13:33:59 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a specific, kind of DIY enquiry, but thought it worthwhile starting a general DIY thread.

I've had EE put in and wasn't aware that we needed an aerial connection in the front room. As we were on sky, they took over the aerial and replaced the aerial connection we had with a dual aerial that plugged into the sky box. Does anyone know if there is a way to connect/convert this back to a normal aerial cable? Or will I need someone come out and re run the aerial from outside back in to the living room! (currently got the EE box upstairs as we have aerial connections in all the rooms upstairs.)
  • Deleted user 9 January 2016 13:55:06
    Post deleted
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 13:58:02 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok cool, I'll check it out later. I think though, that the lead just runs through the window and is then tacked along the skirting board, not sure of a face plate. Thanks for helping though. Much appreciated.
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 13:58:57 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry should probably have specified this is for the TV not Internet.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2016 14:03:31
    Post deleted
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 14:29:07 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome. I'll see how it all looks later. Got a drill etc so worse case I'll re run it through the wall/corner of the window frame.
  • mothercruncher 9 Jan 2016 23:31:12 16,197 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's all coax cable isn't it? Sky would have replaced your original cable with, essentially, two thinner coax cables running side by side to give the box the ability to do more than one thing. If you're vaguely handy, buy a standard aerial plug (not a plastic sealed one, an alloy one where the thing screws apart) and fit it instead of the satellite job that will be on the end(s) currently. From eBay, if you're stuck locally.
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 23:37:17 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thats what i have (the two thinner cables). So am i just fitting the new plug on to one of the smaller cables, by removing the plug off of the smaller cable? thanks.
  • mrcrumley 9 Jan 2016 23:44:29 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm assuming that is what i'd do! Am i right in saying that with the split cable, it transmits the same thing down both cables? (that may well be a very silly question!)
  • mal 10 Jan 2016 02:25:31 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As far as I understand it, the box on a stick bit of a satellite dish is actually quite brainy, and works to demodulate the specific frequency you're interested in, so the two lines could be tuned to two different frequencies, depending on what you're watching. A lot of the time though, I suspect they're both pumping out the same data.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 08:21:42
    The reason for 2 coax in a Sky box is that the signal is split, one is for viewing, the other for PVR functions, a shitty solution considering a Virgin Tivo box does the same but on a single coax.

My recommended tip of the day for DIY enthusiasts is never use a flash band as a permanent solution for roof leaks on lean too outbuildings, always have it correctly dressed with a lead flashing.

Edited by reggy72 at 08:28:43 10-01-2016
  • mrcrumley 10 Jan 2016 17:22:46 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've tried moving the ee box downstairs and fitting the metal 'plug' off of the aerial lead upstairs on to one of the two split sky cables but I still can't get it to pick up and channels. Any ideas or tips? Thanks.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 17:23:59
    Well, my guess is EE is a Freeview box and you're trying to watch Freesat on it
  • mrcrumley 10 Jan 2016 17:33:21 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, could be! So the signed transmitted via the split sky cable may be different to that of the signal transmitted from a roof top aerial?
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 17:42:18
    If it's from a Sky dish, and that's what it sounds like, then it absolutely is.

Best advice would be to get a local aerials guy out. I did when I moved and didn't have a (working) aerial socket. Due to pikey Sky-watching predecessor residents.
  • mrcrumley 10 Jan 2016 17:48:20 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's from a sky dish.

Yep, I have got normal aerials in all the bedrooms upstairs so hopefully it'll be a fairly easy job.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 17:51:59
    Other option would be to get a Freesat box.
  • mrcrumley 10 Jan 2016 18:01:09 583 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got EE TV though, so kinda stuck.
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2016 18:06:54 23,145 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    reggy72 wrote:
    The reason for 2 coax in a Sky box is that the signal is split, one is for viewing, the other for PVR functions, a shitty solution considering a Virgin Tivo box does the same but on a single coax.
    Actually a much better solution, two cables with their own receivers equals double the bandwidth compared to VMs single line.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 18:07:23
    EE TV is nothing special, you're just paying a monthly fee for a PVR. Sorry.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2016 18:16:18
    elstoof wrote:
    reggy72 wrote:
    Actually a much better solution, two cables with their own receivers equals double the bandwidth compared to VMs single line.
    You actually most probably correct, I have my personal beef with Sky years back in my old house. after a 7k lounge rebuild with walls removed for open plan living I had a single coax run under the flooring to a central standing in the middle of the lounge fireplace that became an AV centre, a Sky rep knocked and offered a sweet deal for me to move from Virgin to them, I explained my single coax issue and was told that was no problem, only a week later for a Sky engineer which is taking the piss to drill badly from the outside into newly finished walls with a fucking Hilti hammer drill with what must have been a 20mm SDI bit, shattering the plaster work with a cable slung across the lounge in the general direction of the TV, I fucking threatened to sue the cunts for the damage and miss sold promise of a single coax solution, they in the end after legal action removed the cable and repair the damaged walls, utter cunts.
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2016 06:59:16 89,122 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OK, this thread will do. Anyone resprung their sofa themselves? Mine needs completely redoing.... Last time we got A Man in but it looked straightforward enough. Just a question of making sure we use the right size springs surely? Would cost about a third of the price.....packs of 5 springs are only 8 quid on Amazon. My only concern is making sure I can get the right tension....
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 12:29:00 16,576 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone here ever made a shed? I'm looking to build one from scratch, and am scratching my head a little around finishing a monopitch roof.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 12:40:21 23,145 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They’re so cheap to buy I dunno why you’d want the bother of building one from scratch. We just got one installed for a few hundred quid and they were done and out the door in half an hour
  • Dougs 28 Nov 2017 12:44:32 89,122 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha. I resprung that sofa eventually. Made fuck all difference, aside from a few springs. Biggest issue is the crap cushion filling. Now semi-fixed using an old duvet.
  • Rusty_M 28 Nov 2017 12:51:35 6,921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I need to learn how to felt or completely redo my garage roof.
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 13:20:08 16,576 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    They’re so cheap to buy I dunno why you’d want the bother of building one from scratch. We just got one installed for a few hundred quid and they were done and out the door in half an hour
    For the same cash, you get much better materials, plus you get to design it yourself, so precise sizings and windows / doors where you want them become an option. Also means that I can choose the kind of roof style and material, which is a biggy. Felt covering is shit.

Plus who doesn't like building stuff?
  • thelzdking 28 Nov 2017 13:27:53 9,353 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wish I knew more about DIY. I'd love to be able to build a shed.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 13:55:56 23,145 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:

I love building stuff. I spend all day making and building stuff, I just care a fuckload more about the stuff I could build inside the shed than I do about the actual shed. Once it’s knackered and worn in it’ll look just like any other old shed
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 14:27:58 16,576 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:

I love building stuff. I spend all day making and building stuff, I just care a fuckload more about the stuff I could build inside the shed than I do about the actual shed. Once it’s knackered and worn in it’ll look just like any other old shed
    That's nice, dear.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.