DIY Page 6

• mickerty 31 May 2018 09:04:43 345 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the concrete lining the brickwork? Does it provide any structural strength to the wall? Is it definitely concrete?
  • Jeepers 31 May 2018 09:16:42 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mickerty wrote:
    Is the concrete lining the brickwork? Does it provide any structural strength to the wall? Is it definitely concrete?
    Good question!

Yes, yes and I think so!

Hereís a pic that might help - and cheers!

http://i66.tinypic.com/ve6wbs.jpg
  • mrpon 31 May 2018 09:28:03 35,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    45 degrees
    Debatable! ;)
  • Jeepers 31 May 2018 09:29:29 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    :D

It was obviously built by a long-dead relative of mine, the sloppy cunt.
  • mickerty 31 May 2018 09:45:23 345 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jeepers thank you! Just to clarify although not a bricklayer, I am from the construction industry so hopefully this is helpful !

Yes, at first glance it does look like a concrete wall with bricks rather than a brick wall with concrete.

Patching with a bag of premix would possibly protect what's underneath for a short while, but water (and frost) may deep into the joint between new and old. If you're worried about the walls stability and that's why you want to patch it (sorry if I have misunderstood) then I'd call out a local contractor for a repair quote which should be free and maybe give you some advice on the best way to tackle it.

Be careful whatever you do!
  • Jeepers 31 May 2018 09:58:22 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mickerty

Excellent - thank you! I appreciate the advice.

The wall seems pretty stable so Iím hoping this patching up is preemptive rather than required right now. But your advice on getting someone out to take a closer look is good.

Thanks again!
  • Mr_Sleep 31 May 2018 15:03:11 22,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    One thing to be careful when patching it up is to make sure you are covering it with something breatheable as any moisture trapped behind the surface will end up causing issues.
  • Jeepers 31 May 2018 15:07:59 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah so that would rule out concrete then? Any alternatives youíre aware of? Ta for the advice!
  • Mr_Sleep 31 May 2018 17:58:39 22,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You are better off using a render of some sort. I do not know enough to recommend anything but I know when they rendered our house it required a porous style of render.
  • monkehhh 31 May 2018 18:15:04 5,092 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonight I will be oiling my floor (again). Sort of therapeutic once I'd figured out what I was doing (hopefully).
  • Jeepers 31 May 2018 19:54:34 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Cheers fella. That makes a lot of sense.
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 14:18:52 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So iíve been hanging blinds today. They are measured up for recess and iím fitting to the side of the recess.

Got the kitchen and dining room up no problems, but on the upstairs landing recess, I seem to be hitting metal while drilling after a centimetre or two. I know drilling into the top of the recess it will hit the lintel but not the sides? Any tips on how I can get this thing up?

Got the bay window to do next so not sure how iím Going to do that as they will have to be top mounted :(
  • Nexus_6 30 Mar 2019 14:54:02 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    So iíve been hanging blinds today. They are measured up for recess and iím fitting to the side of the recess.

Got the kitchen and dining room up no problems, but on the upstairs landing recess, I seem to be hitting metal while drilling after a centimetre or two. I know drilling into the top of the recess it will hit the lintel but not the sides? Any tips on how I can get this thing up?

Got the bay window to do next so not sure how iím Going to do that as they will have to be top mounted :(
    You could be hitting a brick tie at the sides. Just unlucky positioning if so.
    Could you amend the position of the bracket slightly forward or back in the recess?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 30 Mar 2019 14:55:46 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @robc84 do you mean the side of the wall at a corner? If so, then there will likely be a thin metal support that is plastered over. You can drill through it or use a detector to see where it isnít. Iíd suggest the latter as Iím never keen on drilling through anything Iím unsure of.

It could also be brick ties or just the brick itself which can be rock hard and seem like metal. I had that outside and the solution was a better drill bit which I kept cool by damping in water
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 15:09:38 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

You could be hitting a brick tie at the sides. Just unlucky positioning if so.
    Could you amend the position of the bracket slightly forward or back in the recess?
    It seems to all 4 holes on each side. I canít move it any further back as the blind wouldnít clear the window handles. To move it forward I guess iíd have to come out past the current front hole which would be too far.
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 15:15:13 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

Yes at the corner of the recess at the side. I donít have a detector. Could pop out and get one I guess.

Iíll try a different drill bit too see how it goes.

What about bay windows then? Iím guessing iím going to hit the lintel pretty soon after I start drilling?
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 15:15:27 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks both by the way :)
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 15:22:49 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm, itís not budging. Itís about 2cm in so I canít quite get the rawl plug in far enough.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 30 Mar 2019 15:31:53 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Sounds like the metal corner piece they put in houses (they are all over in mine) which I assume helps the plastering. Theyíre a V shaped piece about an inch wide either side. Not all that thick but will chew up a masonry bit.

Got any magnets to see if it is metal or is it obvious? I assume there is no chance itís piping or a cable run? I always check anything Iím about to drill into before hand to check for metal, so itís worth getting a detector. You can see where the metal goes and get a good idea what it is. The detector Iíve got also detects wooden batons under plasterboard which has proved invaluable.

Again, confirm it is metal first. I was certain Iíd hit metal until I got a detector and found that it was just rock hard brick.

Not sure about the lintel. Is it metal or concrete? Either can be drilled into. Just get the best drill you can, use the best drill bit and keep dipping it in water and expect it to take a while.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 30 Mar 2019 15:33:49 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Oh and obviously use a small drill bit at first to get a pilot hole and confirm the composition if youíre still not sure.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 30 Mar 2019 15:34:47 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    And youíve made me feel lazy now so Iím getting up to sort things. Damn!
  • elstoof 30 Mar 2019 19:18:48 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What drill are you using, a proper SDS hammer muífucka or a cordless piece of shit
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 19:29:00 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @elstoof

The latter :)
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 19:30:30 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really fucking struggling with this bay window though. Managed to get one of 4 up, and I think itís in the right place. Wonít know for sure until I get the others up.
  • elstoof 30 Mar 2019 19:41:14 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What drill bit, proper masonry one? Probably just hitting a decent quality brick. An SDS with the correct bit would fly through it
  • robc84 30 Mar 2019 22:13:42 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brick would make more sense as it seems to be the whole of the recess. Not sure if my drill bits are any good. Iíll look into getting some better ones or maybe see if someone has a decen drill that I can borrow.
  • elstoof 30 Mar 2019 22:18:16 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If youíre doing vaguely regular diy then a decent corded sds is a thing of beauty. You can get a good hitachi one off amazon for about a hundred quid
  • Dougs 30 Mar 2019 22:54:48 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bought a (own brand) corded hammer drill from b and q about 15 years ago for about 30 quid and it just flies through shit. Still, the cordless drill I've got is much more convenient and does most jobs. Can't beat busting out the big guns though.
  • theone1 30 Mar 2019 23:54:50 18 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gorilla Glue
  • robc84 31 Mar 2019 09:17:00 13,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks guys. Iíll see about investing in a better drill then!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.