DIY Page 8

• Tonka 24 Jun 2019 11:23:31 30,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The screws holding one of the hinges for the cabinet under the sink came loose. Ripped a bit of the chipboard with them. So I did what I always do and slapped a big dollop of Sugru on the screws and pushed them in.

Worked perfectly for about half a day.

So I did it properly and chiseled out a rectangular hole that coverd the area of the ruined drill holes. Then I cut a piece of wood to size and glued it in place, backfilling the gap around it with wood glue and saw dust.

Let that dry and screwed the hinge back in. I'm so fucking proud of my handiwork. Kind of sad that the hinge covers the entire area that I enhanced so you can't even tell that I spent an hour being Mr Fixit.
  • robc84 24 Jun 2019 12:41:06 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @breakablepants

I'll take a look, thanks.

Going to try to bodge it with some filler for now to try to smooth / hide the joins a bit better.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2019 12:41:36
    @Tonka well done. You should have taken a video of the whole thing and shoved it up on YouTube. Make sure you wear a check shirt and tool belt.
  • robc84 24 Jun 2019 12:45:44 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    Fuck sake.

Was putting up a blind in the new bathroom. Simple job I thought. Put the brackets up, went to attach the blind. Let go and it wasnít secured properly, fell and knocked my drill off the window sill into the bath. So our new bath now has a chip in the top head end, and a (very slight) scratch in the bottom.

Looking it up I think it can be repaired, but iím now pissed off and my wife is really pissed off with me.

Shouldnít have left my drill on the window sill. Idiot :(
    That is exactly the sort of shit that happens to me. :-/
    I blame her for letting me do DIY. She knows I am shit at it and clumsy to boot :)
  • henro_ben 24 Jun 2019 15:48:23 2,391 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    robc84 wrote:

Skirting is pretty much all on. Done the bay window too and I have to say it looks a bit... shit. I tried using one long piece and cutting into the back but it wasnít bending nearly enough. Ended up cutting numerous smaller pieces and it doesnít look great. Will just put something in front of it for now until I can figure out how to fix it.
    I must be missing something, because that reads like you tried to bend a piece of skirting board around a bay window?
  • elstoof 24 Jun 2019 15:54:25 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I will hazard a guess that itís a curved wall henro
  • henro_ben 24 Jun 2019 15:57:13 2,391 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Fair enough, don't think I've ever seen one as an actual curve, they've always been distinct angled sections that I've seen.
  • elstoof 24 Jun 2019 15:58:00 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    curved ones are sometimes called bow windows
  • robc84 24 Jun 2019 15:59:45 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Fair enough, don't think I've ever seen one as an actual curve, they've always been distinct angled sections that I've seen.
    The windows are not curved, they are 4 flat sections. The wall area underneath is curved. Hence I needed to bend the skirting ;)

Or just fuck it up with lots of small pieces of skirting.
  • henro_ben 24 Jun 2019 16:01:25 2,391 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    curved ones are sometimes called bow windows
    Ah, ok. I thought bow windows were the ones that only the window part jutted out, and bay windows jutted out from floor to ceiling - hence the confusion with the skirting board ;-)
  • elstoof 24 Jun 2019 16:04:57 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How much of a curve are we talking? You can soak pine skirting to get a bend on it easier
  • robc84 25 Jun 2019 08:41:25 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure exactly, I'd have to measure again when I get home. I'd estimate about 1.5m from start of the curve straight across to the end on the other side. Then maybe 0.5m back at it's deepest. Could be wrong on that though.

Plus we have quite thick (18mm) mdf skirting which probably isn't helping.

Anyway, it looks ok from a distance for now, and I think I can smooth over some of the joins a bit better. Got so much other stuff to do that it's going to have to be put on the back burner (and probably never be done).
  • elstoof 25 Jun 2019 08:45:46 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does your skirting have a moulded profile or is it plain? You can use a few strips of 6mm layered up, itíll bend easier
  • robc84 25 Jun 2019 09:23:23 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's moulded, with a different design on each side:

Link
  • Tonka 25 Jun 2019 10:54:55 30,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood I'm always wearing a checkered shirt. Maybe a tool belt is what's missing from my life.
  • elstoof 25 Jun 2019 11:04:37 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    robc84 wrote:

Link
    Thatíll be a bastard to do neatly. If it were me, Iíd put a slightly larger block of wood at the corners slightly overlapping to use as a transition between two profiles, then bend some layers of plain square cut MDF to skirt the window section only. I had to do similar in a couple of places in my house where I had to raise the floors
  • robc84 25 Jun 2019 11:27:02 14,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elstoof

It was indeed a bastard to do neatly :)

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't look too bad from a distance, but there are a few sections that look pretty bad when viewed up close.

It's (marginally) better than no skirting so I'm seeing it as a positive step forward for now.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 03:45:26
    Bought some waterproof decking lights which are colour changing and Alexa controlled. Seemed fine then I read ďwalkover pressure 100kgĒ .

Cue me spending the last hour (canít sleep) looking up minimum walkover pressure to try to understand if Iíd bought a dud and if they could actually be walked over or if I needed to hide them at the sides. Got nowhere.

Eventually thought ďhow heavy is a normal person in kgĒ? Turns out 100kg is about 16 stones, so I think me and the kids and their mates are going to be fine. Canít believe it took me so long to look at the problem from that angle. Iíve been pouring over lighting data sheets for ages...muppet.
  • henro_ben 27 Jun 2019 09:36:45 2,391 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Bought some waterproof decking lights which are colour changing and Alexa controlled. Seemed fine then I read ďwalkover pressure 100kgĒ .

Cue me spending the last hour (canít sleep) looking up minimum walkover pressure to try to understand if Iíd bought a dud and if they could actually be walked over or if I needed to hide them at the sides. Got nowhere.

Eventually thought ďhow heavy is a normal person in kgĒ? Turns out 100kg is about 16 stones, so I think me and the kids and their mates are going to be fine. Canít believe it took me so long to look at the problem from that angle. Iíve been pouring over lighting data sheets for ages...muppet.
    Better make sure your kids don't run over them then, think running exerts roughly around 3 times your body weight on impact
  • elstoof 27 Jun 2019 09:41:36 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decking lights arenít very wide, unless youíve got cloven hooves for feet you wonít be putting all your weight on them anyway
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 12:51:53
    Thanks. Iím going to put them along the edge of the verandah where it meets the summerhouse wall. There will be a couple that are in the doorway, but will be by the hinges, so hopefully okay. Iíll enforce a ďno high heels in the summerhouse ď rule.
  • TheSaint 27 Jun 2019 12:55:40 19,486 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think everyone is missing the real issue here. Colour changing decking lights are one step away from buying a huge hot tub and hosting swingers parties.
  • Dougs 27 Jun 2019 13:16:14 93,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Guy is getting a sex pond!
  • quadfather 27 Jun 2019 13:25:52 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to replace a dripping tap. What could possibly go wrong.
  • Dougs 27 Jun 2019 13:45:38 93,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just the washer, surely?
  • Deleted user 27 June 2019 20:27:03
    @quadfather Iíve got to sort out a dripping stop cock. Going to wait until the weekend and when Iíll be less tired, as I donít want anything to go wrong with that...
  • breakablepants 28 Jun 2019 11:20:46 1,096 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

Link
    Thatíll be a bastard to do neatly. If it were me, Iíd put a slightly larger block of wood at the corners slightly overlapping to use as a transition between two profiles, then bend some layers of plain square cut MDF to skirt the window section only. I had to do similar in a couple of places in my house where I had to raise the floors
    Or just use the flexible plastic skirting designed for such a problem :-)

The only issue is matching the profile, but if you have used the normal double-sided stuff that's normally an ogee on one side and a bullnose on the other, so should be simple to match.
  • nudistpete 28 Jun 2019 12:07:06 1,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    @quadfather Iíve got to sort out a dripping stop cock. Going to wait until the weekend and when Iíll be less tired, as I donít want anything to go wrong with that...
    I've fixed a couple of dripping stop cocks, both times it was the gland nut (the nut you can see at the base of the tap handle) that needed nipping up a bit - they seem to come loose over time as they're turned off & on.

Literally a 10 sec job. Hoping your job is as easy!
  • Deleted user 28 June 2019 14:16:28
    nudistpete wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    I've fixed a couple of dripping stop cocks, both times it was the gland nut (the nut you can see at the base of the tap handle) that needed nipping up a bit - they seem to come loose over time as they're turned off & on.

Literally a 10 sec job. Hoping your job is as easy!
    Thanks. I googled it and it looks like the gland nut. Couldnít find my ptfe tape so I ordered new in and will sort it tomorrow. Need to just watch the other joints, but should be okay. Iím going to locate the external stop cock ďjust in caseĒ first.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2019 19:27:36
    Stopcock had to wait. Discovered my waterproof junction box was anything but waterproof and Iím amazed it hadnít shorted yet.

Iíve dried it out, resited it, checked all the joints and plastered it in sealant. Then I added the garden lights to it and modified the cable runs so nothing could drip. Then Iíve been running the lights around the summerhouse. These were my wifeís birthday present (who says romance is dead), so I tried hard to do them well.

Took me hours to do it all. Probably about 6 or 7. Looks very good and hopefully this time is no longer a death trap.

Not quite the day I had planned.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.