DIY Page 10

Next Last
  • Goban 9 Feb 2020 15:18:10 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah, ok I'm with you. They're always a bit of a nightmare, especially if you have trees nearby. There's not really a DIY route to fix the problem. You have to strip off the bottom few rows of slate and run the lead flashing up a bit higher, gives you more time before it fails. Assuming it's a case of downpipes blocking and the gutters backing up?
  • Goban 9 Feb 2020 15:18:50 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can you get easy access to the roof?
  • askew 9 Feb 2020 15:21:23 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Streetview photo:

No sir. I mean, it's one I'll leave to the management company, but they've fielded enough complaints that surely it's time to be proactive rather than reactive. I'd settle for a pipe that doesn't offer a way for water to spill outů
  • Goban 9 Feb 2020 15:29:14 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks like your fucked, it's a maintenance issue, you have to get someone up there once a year to clear it all. Quite often the downpipes are undersized in these buildings, stupid cost savings, so you can strip out the pipe and put a higher bore one in, pretty disruptive and expensive though. The leadwork could also be screwed, it doesn't last forever, a depending on the thickness used in the first place or subsequent (usually poor)repairs.
  • askew 9 Feb 2020 16:13:09 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I suspect their preferred solution is just to repaint and repair the plaster. Gotta maximise shareholder profit.
  • Goban 9 Feb 2020 16:16:57 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds par for the course. No long-term view, all about profits now. It always upsets me how little building owners care about maintenance, it's a fucking asset but if you don't maintain it it's going to fall apart and ultimately be worth less.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.