DIY Page 2

• DaM 28 Nov 2017 14:32:05 17,323 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I put fresh tar carpet on your shed roof! Is that the felt? Hasn't come off or leaked.

And well impressed at Doug's tightness in putting new springs in a sofa and filling it with a duvet. Is it an antique one?

Might suggest that to the wife, she's making noises about a new one....
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 14:34:24 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I put fresh tar carpet on your shed roof! Is that the felt? Hasn't come off or leaked.

And well impressed at Doug's tightness in putting new springs in a sofa and filling it with a duvet. Is it an antique one?

It's fine, I think. Just doesn't last a huge number of years, and the cheaper stuff can get really brittle after being exposed to the sun / elements.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 14:50:33 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:

Plus who doesn't like building stuff?
    I love building stuff. I spend all day making and building stuff, I just care a fuckload more about the stuff I could build inside the shed than I do about the actual shed. Once itís knackered and worn in itíll look just like any other old shed
    That's nice, dear.
    You carry on making your amazing burr walnut and ebony shed then, Iíll get on with some actual work while youíre doing that
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 14:53:00 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:

Plus who doesn't like building stuff?
    I love building stuff. I spend all day making and building stuff, I just care a fuckload more about the stuff I could build inside the shed than I do about the actual shed. Once itís knackered and worn in itíll look just like any other old shed
    That's nice, dear.
    You carry on making your amazing burr walnut and ebony shed then, Iíll get on with some actual work while youíre doing that
    You seem a little upset that I'm building a shed.
  • Nexus_6 28 Nov 2017 14:54:27 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What's your specific query around the shed roof issue?
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:00:43 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    What's your specific query around the shed roof issue?
    I'm working SketchUp at the moment, to get a rough design ready. I'm going for a monopitch roof (at a fairly low angle, to avoid angering the Council's planning dept.). I'm undecided what kind of roof covering I'll go for, but assume that whichever I choose, I'll need to 'box' the rafters so I can attach the metal/wood/whatever roof to it.

I'm just a bit unclear as to the best way to do this. Was wondering if anyone here had tried the same.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 15:07:16 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quite the contrary, please keep us updated with your folly
  • Nexus_6 28 Nov 2017 15:07:36 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure what you mean by 'box' the rafters, but I assume you're in England though yeah? Reason I ask is you dont tend to build roofs with sarking where up north its the standard way - makes it nice and stable.
    Easiest thing to do would be to put the rafters up and then sheet over the entire top with ply, nail fixed to the rafters. You can then put a roofing felt on and then either fix your shingles/tiles/roofing sheet to the ply or battens then your material.
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:08:25 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Will do. And be sure to continue with the helpful advice; it's been invaluable.
  • Psiloc 28 Nov 2017 15:10:32 5,065 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wasn't there another shed based query today?
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:12:54 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by 'box' the rafters, but I assume you're in England though yeah? Reason I ask is you dont tend to build roofs with sarking where up north its the standard way - makes it nice and stable.
    Easiest thing to do would be to put the rafters up and then sheet over the entire top with ply, nail fixed to the rafters. You can then put a roofing felt on and then either fix your shingles/tiles/roofing sheet to the ply or battens then your material.
    Cheers - I'd not hard of sarking before.

Yeah, that's effectively what I'm planning - plyboard / OSB on top of the rafters, membrane on top of that, and then some form of permanent roofing (tiles, metal, whatnot) on top.

What's making me scratch my head is the overhang. If you look at you'll see that they've 'boxed-in' the rafters; the way my design is laid out, that would either involve a whole bunch of planing of long pieces of wood to match the angle of the rafters, or some technique I don't know about. I don't want to do the former, so I'm hoping to learn about the latter.
  • Nexus_6 28 Nov 2017 15:17:34 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see what you mean. It does look like a boxing out of the rafters. I wouldn't have thought you'd need any planing as such though. Everything should be at right angles so a simple mitre joint at the corners of the boxing and you can get the timber out the merchants at the required size so no length cutting needed.

You are a fool for even trying this though - just buy a shiter from bandq and get on with it /s
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 15:19:21 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Iíll try, but only if you maintain the sarcastic passive aggression
  • thelzdking 28 Nov 2017 15:25:05 9,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You guys are gonna fuck like champions in that shed.
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:34:23 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Iíll try, but only if you maintain the sarcastic passive aggression
    Great! We're sorted.
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:36:45 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    I see what you mean. It does look like a boxing out of the rafters. I wouldn't have thought you'd need any planing as such though. Everything should be at right angles so a simple mitre joint at the corners of the boxing and you can get the timber out the merchants at the required size so no length cutting needed.

You are a fool for even trying this though - just buy a shiter from bandq and get on with it /s
    In this case, the rafters are at an angle of 12.5 deg. The ends will be cut parallel to the walls, so the boxing in won't be right-angled, making things a little trickier.

Yeah, probably a fool's errand building it myself, but it'll be a fun thing to try. It's a small garden the shed will sit in, and the kind of sheds you can buy for a few hundred quid aren't the prettiest. If I can get something that's tailored to size to fit in the space available that looks better whilst using more durable materials, what's not to like? The only thing I can lose is some time and maybe some money.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 15:37:33 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Now fucking kiss me
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:38:21 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Now fucking kiss me
    You'll have to give me a few months (years) to get my new shed built. It's raining here.
  • Nexus_6 28 Nov 2017 15:40:18 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bit more complicated.
    Either figure out the compound angle cut needed on the saw, or dont cut the rafter ends parallel to the wall!
    Your real concern should be how to handle the weatherproofing at that junction....
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:45:52 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Bit more complicated.
    Either figure out the compound angle cut needed on the saw, or dont cut the rafter ends parallel to the wall!
    Your real concern should be how to handle the weatherproofing at that junction....
    The latter approach seems like a good one.

Re. weather proofing; I'd thought a membrane running over the ply/OSB, turned under all bottom-sides of the 'box'. With metal/tile/whatever cladding on top, reckon that'd be weather-proof enough?
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 15:49:59 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tiles wonít be weatherproof at that low an angle
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 15:58:07 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Tiles wonít be weatherproof at that low an angle
    Yeah, I've found that you can get some that are suitable for 12.5 deg as long as you have additional weather-proofing underneath. That's why I'm thinking about a zinc (or copper, if I'm feeling fancy) roof in preference to tiles.

The low angle is need to keep headheight reasonable whilst fitting in with planning permission / the 2.5m rule, but it's a pain in the arse. Especially as this is going to be a smallish shed.

Edited by Jeepers at 15:58:32 28-11-2017
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 16:01:02 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm making this shed very attractive to metal thieves with these plans. Maybe I should go back to some sort of tiles-on-a-roll.
  • Nexus_6 28 Nov 2017 16:05:45 4,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah this would work - just watch how you then fix the box out through this membrane. Make sure the membrane runs lower than any soffit boarding to avoid anything running back down the wall.
  • DaM 28 Nov 2017 16:18:29 17,323 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fuck, this is a complicated shed. It looks like something off Grand Designs. Is that a bed in it...?
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 16:19:44 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nexus_6

Thanks fella - so, if I understand, I'd place the membrane across the roof, down the fascia, across the soffit and then have it cover an inch or two of the fascia of the wall? That makes sense, I think.

Am learning words like 'soffit' every day now. Noggins were a nice surprise.
  • Jeepers 28 Nov 2017 16:20:51 16,576 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DaM Heh. I'm not making that shed, just something that has a similar roof. If I built that shed, I'd have no garden left.
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2017 18:13:18 22,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Jeepers noggin is definitely my favourite construction term.
  • Dougs 28 Nov 2017 19:32:24 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DaM wrote:

Not in the slightest! But for 25 quid, the springs are good as new and we'll get another few years out of the cushions. We're in Brexit Britain now you know, make do and mend is the only way! Plus, it's my Scotch heritage coming through
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2017 19:53:26 23,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What percentage of whisky are you?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.