Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 142

• brokenkey 4 Dec 2018 15:52:52 9,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    I'm not even in Panther territory yet, so if I start the collect-a-thon I won't be finishing it anytime soon... but yeah, I'm sure it will be fun getting even more sidetracked while sidetracking from the main story
    You can get the Panther pretty much right from the start. It's west of Musty Pines.

#doublespoiler

Edited by brokenkey at 15:53:18 04-12-2018
  • Innit 5 Dec 2018 00:17:46 312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    ERG1008 wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Finished Chapter 6 last night, wish I was warned not to take my best horse into the last few missions. Good Night Sweet Buell :(

Oh, and poor Arthur too.
    Did this last night and the bit where Arthur says "Thank you" to the dying horse had me in bits! Called him "Wilson" because he looked like an American Football albeit a deflated one now.
    Really enjoyed Chapter 6 after my hot and cold earlier Chapters. The writing and character development are better than a lot of TV serieseseseses. Thought Rain Falls voice acting was superb too.
    The first thing I did once I could tame horses was go and get the white Arabian in the mountains, which I then kept throughout the whole game. Arthur thanking the horse was made even worse for me because of that. Impeccable voice acting. You really felt his pain. I don't imagine the ending scene is quite as traumatic if you played dishonourably.

And as you say, Rains Fall was another highlight in voice acting talent. The guy has a silky smooth tone.

Edited by Innit at 14:18:06 05-12-2018
  • mothercruncher 5 Dec 2018 09:49:00 15,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He sounded like Morrisey?
    ďBroken wagon wheeeeeeel on a mesaaaa desooolaaaateĒ.
  • elvenscroll 5 Dec 2018 13:55:59 1,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got stuck in the corner of the map without a horse (I forgot to buy more reviver) so thought I'd walk to the nearest town and buy a new one. It was a long walk and on the way I spotted some wild horses, so I tamed one and continued my journey. 30 seconds later a gang jumped me and killed my new horse. Fucks sake.😂

This is game of the year for me. I'm done with the main story and still loving it.
  • brokenkey 5 Dec 2018 15:17:20 9,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I also lost my stolen horse after I stopped to find a rare weapon, only to find the horse had wondered off. No bother, a 15 minute job to the nearest stable, only to find it closed. No bother, it's night, what time is morning. ERK. No clock displayed, because it's mid- "mission". Next thing I know I've failed the mission because I'm too far from the target. Didn't let me keep the weapon or the hat either.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Dec 2018 15:32:43 3,715 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    You guys know you can just camp, sleep and your horse magicks back at the camp when you wake up?

#airboat
  • neems 5 Dec 2018 15:51:14 4,204 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've barely touched this, but from a technical standpoint what I've seen so far is astonishing. I can't believe it's running on (base) PS4.
  • mothercruncher 5 Dec 2018 20:55:54 15,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait until you get caught in a lightning storm neems- itís jaw dropping.

Iím still not sold on Online. The overall impression I get every time is it just feels so mean spirited. Charges popping up regularly for fucking upkeep of this thing or that thing whether youíre using them or not, so that youíre leaking money before youíve even done anything. None of the prices are in line with the single player, or even in line with realism for that period so that, again, Rockstar can keep kicking your moneybag in the nuts. Every healing item is a quarter as useful as in singleplayer so that youíre forced to keep stocking up and even bullets work less well so that enemies take more to kill and, you guessed it, you need to keep buying more ammo. Ypu canít even actively loot to mitigate this because, surprise, you may get 3 bullets, or, more likely none. You respawn with half health, always, so that, yup, youíre needing more items and your horse seems to leak stamina and health too.
    Itís never worth robbing anyone because youíll get 30 cents and half a mouldy turnip and the only missions that pay well are the main missions which are metered out slowly and limited. Itís the Rockstar tax at every turn but youíd better believe theyíve got a solution (in every single menu of every single purchase)- microtransactions.

And then bloody Phillipe starts yelling into the mic again and there seems to be no way to mix the audio to mitigate the EXTREME VOLUME with which heís bafflingly able to do so. So I generally just turn chat off. But, no, every play type turns it back on again and, if you want to bin it again, say, during a race, itís buried so far in the menus that youíre 100 foot behind everyone else before youíve even started moving.

Itís great for short periods, but it just feels so skeletal, meagre and dry. Itís literally GTA Vís 2013 online play with a fucking stovepipe hat on it.

Edited by mothercruncher at 21:01:57 05-12-2018
  • neems 5 Dec 2018 21:08:50 4,204 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never got into GTA online (and I let my PS Online lapse anyway) but it seems such a shame. If you make a decent game that people want to stay involved with, they'll spend the money surely?
  • hedben2013 5 Dec 2018 21:58:23 848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bounced off GTA Online when I'd exhausted the mission opportunities, bought exactly one house, one garage and one car, and realised it was high effort diminishing returns to get much of anything else. Came back to it in the past 6 months and I've been having a blast with it, while they've been massively more generous with one-time cash bonuses and increased earnings.

I'm expecting Red Dead Online to follow the same path... grindy and empty at first, then more generous with more content a bit later on, when it slumps and they have to incentivise people to come back to it.

Edited by hedben2013 at 21:58:50 05-12-2018
  • Innit 5 Dec 2018 22:01:33 312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I've been going around doing my very best cowboy impression online.
  • Bichii 6 Dec 2018 09:11:31 822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finally completed it so I can read this thread! Didn't trust you arse holes not to ruin the story.

Although the final few hours were not how I wanted it's still 10/10. Amazing
  • minky-kong 6 Dec 2018 09:15:32 14,046 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Charming.
  • gooner77 6 Dec 2018 10:19:18 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in the Epilogue and finally feel brave enough to view this thread. I also have an urge to rewatch all my favourite Westerns, it's Tombstone tonight and Unforgiven tomorrow
  • Bichii 6 Dec 2018 10:35:14 822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think my favourite characters were Charles and Sadie but everyone from the camp were brilliant in their own way.
  • vanDevious 6 Dec 2018 12:32:04 335 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Overall the balance they found keeping the pressure on while still allowing growth was very delicate and extremely well done imo. Aesthetically you saw the weakness in everyone at the end to an extent I've never seen/felt in any other open world game. Usually you're OP until you feel like finishing, this was a crawl followed by the wonderful epilogue that I'm convinced with any other developer is DLC.

My main issue with this and most games/movies is that the body counts are always insane. They tend to throw numbers at you rather than improve the one on one combat experience but this always has been and probably always will be a secondary concern to the overall narrative experience.

It's already clearly going to be a game I keep coming back to.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Dec 2018 17:26:28 23,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Completed earlier. Absolutely excellent. Overall I loved it, that is with a few caveats though.
    As everyone has stated the world, atmosphere and ambiance are all of the highest order, however the missions themselves were very average.

I have played nothing but RDR2 since release and yet I can't recall a single mission that wowed me. They were just good enough. On the other hand the Gang and hideout mechanic were brilliant. I actually loved Dutch for most of the campaign, John and Charles were also excellent. As for Arthur, just loved him and his character arc.

One thing that got very old fast was the lack of a "tradition" fast travel system, I have to admit that towards the last part of the game I ignored some sides and stranger missions as I just could not be bothered riding all the way there and back again. Yes the world is gorgeous but after 70 odd hours I don't mind not seeing it for a bit!

Anyway as I say brilliant, brilliant game. I possibly prefer the story in RDR but the writers did a brilliant job making 2's story fit and I loved meeting some characters earlier in the timeline.

I will reply at some point as I left lots of sides out towards the end as I wanted to see the story out. Will also play some online, but I doubt that much of it.

9/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 06:09:04 08-12-2018
  • Daz190uk 8 Dec 2018 12:42:20 348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím still in Chapter 3 and finding it tough to motivate myself to play for any longer amount of time.

I do like the game, appreciate the world and the characters, but itís just not as ďfunĒ as it could be. I went back to Zelda just to compare and contrast. You get over the graphics after a while but itís just so much more fun to play on a visceral level.

I will continue, if mainly to see the story evolve.
  • Innit 8 Dec 2018 15:04:55 312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Nah, I can't help. I got the lumbago.
  • mad_caddy 8 Dec 2018 20:48:47 3,515 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Very rare for me to complete a game and then be happy to start it all over again. I've enjoyed every minute of this game.
  • deez 9 Dec 2018 00:40:53 241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aaargh bloody controls, after just arriving in st Denis, twice in quick succession I've started strangling people when trying to get back on my horse. Not at all helpful suddenly becoming wanted.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Dec 2018 11:56:41 23,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having completed the campaign on Friday, I'm just about to sew up epilogue pts I and II
    Really enjoyed, especially the second part, the more relaxed gameplay and the songs were very appreciated.
    Only complaint being a couple of enemy heavy missions, just seemed never ending.

I would love some campaign dlc, highly unlikely though. It is all going to be about RDO.
  • ChiefGB 9 Dec 2018 12:12:10 9,755 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is anyone still playing red dead online?
  • FredClintstone 9 Dec 2018 12:16:03 90 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    During a lightning storm, head up to the big waterfall next to the Legendary Moose area. The waterfall goes crazy with the amount of water, and the rumble builds to a roar, and you can walk behind it. Incredible.
  • mothercruncher 9 Dec 2018 12:18:19 15,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Is anyone still playing red dead online?
    Iím going to dip in an out occasionally and see if itís any more fun. There was a patch recently to increase payouts I think?
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Dec 2018 12:19:12 23,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB
    I will be, wanted to complete story first, was concerned someone would spoil it. I will certainly be going back (only level 9) for some more fun.
  • FredClintstone 9 Dec 2018 12:23:58 90 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I'm going to complete the story before heading online. Currently only on Chapter 4.
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Dec 2018 12:26:19 23,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FredClintstone

You got a ways to go partner ;)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.