Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 147

• crashVoodoo 7 Jan 2019 07:47:31 6,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I started this over the Christmas period and finally got a 2nd chance to play it last night.

It's good but I'm constantly having a brain fart when it comes to the controls. I can see it's the main complaint so I won't add to the chorus. I'm getting better but I can see it's going to be a while before it becomes second nature.

Got the first camp just near Velentine so went for a wander (literally) but felt lost (can't find a brush FFS) and picked up a $15 bounty so went back to camp. Turns out there are additional tutorial missions that are still introducing things to me.

Anyways did the bear shit with Hosea, then decided to trying hunting on my own. Found a moose. Turns out I can't hunt for shit right now and after seven or so attempts I just pulled out my rifle and blasted the fucking thing dead.

On my way back to see if I could sell this skin I met a woman stuck under a horse. Being a nice guy I helped her but that wasn't good enough and she wanted a ride back to town. Hmmm moose or woman?
    Fuck it, there could be a reward so I take the moose skin off the back and instead of dropping it I donkey kick this poor woman in the gut and she's falls down stone dead.

Aww fuck, scan the horizon and no witnesses, grab the body and run over to a bridge to see if I can put it under. Nope. Quick bushes. Loot. Moose on horse and away. Got .65c for the skin o_0
  • crashVoodoo 7 Jan 2019 07:53:14 6,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I also need to let shit slide. When random NPC's just horsing around give you a shitty one liner I need to move on but at the moment I'm taking it as a slight. One guy gave me shit so I lasso'd him off his horse and dragged him around the countryside for a bit. I finally let him go and he was still giving it mouth, so I lasso'd him again, hogtied his ass and threw him off a rock into a river.

Hes dead now and there were 2 fucking witnesses. These fuckers are worse than CCTV

Leapt on Desmond and galloped away into the woods to camp and lay low for a bit
  • the_dudefather 7 Jan 2019 10:33:07 10,866 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've definitely had to run out of towns at least once or twice because I rose to the bait or some raider talking shit

Initially the bounty system seemed a bit broken, but starting to feel like the intention was that you really wouldn't pay them off that much, I'm just letting the world get more and more hostile as I play
  • Toaster05 7 Jan 2019 10:55:43 2,011 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm starting to enjoy it more now. I did get slightly pissed off when I decided to follow the advice of the thread and get into hunting. So I proudly ride into town with my fist full of dollars to buy my new rifle.

So I purchase it and spec it out with a lovely scope and scoot off to murder some innocent animals only to bump into John who tells me to visit the gun shop..... those that know what happens next will know why I'm pissed off!
  • Daz190uk 8 Jan 2019 23:37:16 354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So having finished and enjoyed the single player, Iím trying to get in to online.

The world is amazing but Iím finding to tough to really get in to this. Thereís just so little to do and it all feels like a mindless grind with no real end purpose.

On top of that the PVP seems terrible, itís just a mess of auto aim and clunky controls.
  • FatsoJetson 9 Jan 2019 11:31:22 367 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally made it to the end of Chapter 6 last night. Phew. It was a moving but understated conclusion, I thought. Story arc was entirely predictable, but that's not a surprise, really. It's of a piece with the broader genre of Western fiction, so there's inevitably going to be some use of familiar themes and story structures. Still, that doesn't detract from the largely excellent character work, and - as others have said - the tens of hours of time invested with the gang and its people is what delivers the emotional impact.

I find myself conflicted about continuing with the epilogue. I feel like I've reached the end of the story in some ways, and I've put so much time into hunting and other activities already that while there's loads left to do, I think I've had my fill of it.

Glad I picked this up when I did. I let myself be convinced by reviews that I'd find the game overly slow, boring and cumbersome to control, so I wasn't going to bother with it. But while it is all of those things in part, it is so much more as well.
  • the_dudefather 9 Jan 2019 11:44:48 10,866 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not been paying bounties for a while and the bounty hunters have started using dogs

Even with the OP pump action shotgun it's starting to get a bit tricky to deal with them (but a fun diversion as I travel around the map)
  • urban 9 Jan 2019 12:24:27 13,056 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Think imma jump back into a save on Sunday and go full black hat
  • tassletine 10 Jan 2019 18:07:31 3 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @erasr Normally I'd be with you (and have actually argued this point about every other rockstar game) but the gameplay pushed me towards the writing, which once I started paying attention, bowled me over.

The way it tells the story is utterly unique, so I can't get my fix in other mediums. That's why I think it's a masterpiece. They really pushed the storytelling form. Last Guardian had a similar effect on me -- which was also criticised on a gameplay level. The gameplay is very laid back and not for everyone.
  • AaronTurner 10 Jan 2019 22:34:59 10,236 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trying to get back into this. Does it bug anyone else that Trelawny's characeter is acted by Bane from The Dark Knight Rises?

Edited by AaronTurner at 22:35:11 10-01-2019
  • welshben1982 11 Jan 2019 16:04:02 1,274 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Trying to get back into this. Does it bug anyone else that Trelawny's characeter is acted by Bane from The Dark Knight Rises?
    I don't think Tom Hardy or his voice is in this game ;)
  • minky-kong 11 Jan 2019 16:59:06 14,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    TDKR Bane via Steven Toast.
  • Toaster05 11 Jan 2019 20:06:25 2,011 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango... I mean Arthur Morgan.
  • Not-a-reviewer 11 Jan 2019 22:10:51 5,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Itís really rare for me to spend this much time with one game, there is something special about it. The story could do with some editing, the missions could do with a bit less trekking and fewer cliches and the gameplay isnít the very best but I have wanted to stick with Arthur and follow his journey throughout.

Not sure the epilogue part is a good idea so far. Itís a bit boring after a very good climax.
  • welshben1982 12 Jan 2019 19:42:26 1,274 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You do realise why the epilogue is there don't you? Sorry I'm not getting at you, this question is to anyone who's criticised the epilogue.

Edited by welshben1982 at 19:47:55 12-01-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Jan 2019 20:09:14 23,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Toaster05 wrote:
    Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango... I mean Arthur Morgan.
    Once again I am permitted to say...
    "You shut the fuck up Clem Fandango and you stupid made up name" still love that!
  • Toaster05 12 Jan 2019 22:47:07 2,011 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've found a whole new level of fun in this game. Going to the theatre and harassing the acts. Gaming nirvana!
  • crashVoodoo 14 Jan 2019 02:24:17 6,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Managed to get my third session on this and oooh boy. I feel like I've done everything but done nothing.

Got my bearings now around valentine and done some bounties. I like stealing a horse, loading it up with a ner-do-well and then whistling mine so it follow us home.

I was just riding around on Desmond when I spotted an all browny wild 'oss. Had to have it. Chased it down, calmed it and broke it in. It's a beauty. Called it sosage. Nearly lost him too cos some twat called Micha. OMG did that event go wrong. Had to reload and try again cos sosage got shot. Not having that.

Strawbs is a no-go area for a bit :(
  • greg_wha 14 Jan 2019 02:29:20 1,222 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I could take a week off work and just play the fudge out of this game.
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Jan 2019 06:11:38 5,465 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    welshben1982 wrote:
    You do realise why the epilogue is there don't you? Sorry I'm not getting at you, this question is to anyone who's criticised the epilogue.
    Yeah but it doesnít really work.
  • askew 14 Jan 2019 09:26:14 18,226 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Nearly lost him too cos some twat called Micha. OMG did that event go wrong.
    :lol:

Fuck Micah. Leave him in the jailhouse!
  • the_dudefather 14 Jan 2019 09:46:24 10,866 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished the main story yesterday after a lot of Red Deading over the weekend, going to take a break to play something else for a bit before doing the epilogue

Enthusiasm waned a bit around chapter 3 or 4, but was pretty hooked on the story from 5 onwards (even if the distance between mission locations felt like they were getting longer)

Random notes:
    -Never quite got a level 10 beard (got to 9), despite chugging hair tonics.
    -Favorite gun is the pump action shotgun, followed by volcanic pistol
    -Horses were named Nacho, Sad Ken, Guinness and Guinness jr.
    -With all the detail in the game I wish they recorded a line for dialogue whenever the story introduces a new town that was Arthur just saying 'yeah I came here already 20 hours ago, the gunsmith and tailor are my best mates'
  • robthehermit 14 Jan 2019 10:08:40 7,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Really enjoying this. I think I'm spending too much time just pissing about with hunting and whatnot though. If the stats on xbox.com are to be believed, I've put about 58 hours into it so far and I'm still on chapter 2.
  • crashVoodoo 14 Jan 2019 20:25:02 6,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @robthehermit yeah me too. Hunting is so relaxing even though im not that good at it. I do like getting prepped and then going for a few days in the wilderness.

Caught sight of a pristine buck last night. I crept through the grass. Waited my time, pulled the bow back, called and then it moved a pixel and my arrow sailed straight over its head. Well fuck.

It then ran around like a crazy cos I had it cornered on a cliff near the Dakota river and it didn't know where to go. It bottled the bridge due to the train coming and came barrelling straight at me.

I quickly released another arrow and planted it right smack in it's chest as it squirrelled off into the grass.

All I could hear was it's desperate cries of pain.. I felt bad.

Arthur didn't give a shit and finished it off with a glib 'Sorry'.

Cracking set of antlers though :)

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:26:19 14-01-2019
  • crashVoodoo 14 Jan 2019 20:28:20 6,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    askew wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Nearly lost him too cos some twat called Micha. OMG did that event go wrong.
    :lol:

Fuck Micah. Leave him in the jailhouse!
    Wish I had. Man's a dickhead
  • robthehermit 16 Jan 2019 14:17:47 7,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gambler challenge 8 - take 3 or more cards and win 3 times.

That was a massive ballache. Took about 2 hours of playing blackjack to do that one. Looking forward to the next one even less - win 3 games of dominoes in a row, although I think I read that you can quit if it looks like you're going to lose without breaking your streak.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.