Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 149

• robc84 7 Feb 2019 22:23:18 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished chapter 1. So far so good. Looks like it opens up a little now so really looking forward to getting out and exploring a bit.
  • robc84 8 Feb 2019 22:59:26 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just been messing around about the camp / valentine area. Still a bit confused on the cores and what iím supposed to be doing in that respect. Something seemed to flash up red and I assumed I needed to eat. But it may have been my horse that was hungry, who knows. Did a little hunting, skinned an animal, but the pelt seemed to disappear when I approached my horse. Canít see it in the inventory. Am I supposed to be storing it somewhere?

I suppose I should probably just do some missions and familiarise myself with it a bit more before going off on my own.

Also, those random OíDriscoll dudes that try to antagonise you... itís really hard not to put a bullet in their head. Donít really want to be dealing with a bounty though at this stage.
  • garryo'neill 9 Feb 2019 00:12:43 4 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The game is a strange one, opens up really strong and then flings tons of mechanics and story at you for the first 2 acts; its all a bit overwhelming, it really starts to all click wonderfully after about 20 hours in, im really enjoying playing it in small bites of 1-2 hours. Not rushing it either god knows how long it will be until we get another Rockstar Game.
  • robc84 9 Feb 2019 06:46:12 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah itís a bit overwhelming right now but I just need to go with it and iím sure itíll click.
  • deez 9 Feb 2019 07:45:42 250 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @robc84 I never learnt what the cores meant really, you can pretty much ignore them.
  • robc84 9 Feb 2019 07:55:33 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh thatís good to know, thanks.
  • vyseofhr 11 Feb 2019 17:39:44 1,180 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Itís one of my favourite games of all time, but there is no denying the controls are an absolute shitshow.

You get used to them, but theyíre never intuitive and even after 60 hours Iíd still occasionally draw when I wanted to open the weapon wheel etc .
  • Trowel 11 Feb 2019 20:12:29 22,222 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Last night I was trying to mount my horse in Saint Denis, and instead I span around 180 and grabbed the woman behind me by the neck. Combined with my horse bolting it led to a 10 min Benny Hill romp around the alleys dodging the cops and a $40 bounty. Cheers Rockstar.
  • robc84 11 Feb 2019 22:39:10 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím still at the start of chapter 2 (spent too much time player poker and not enough doing missions) and while iím really enjoying it, itís certainly not easy to play.
  • X201 11 Feb 2019 23:06:32 18,827 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Came back to it the other day after months away.
    Spent far too much time having to Google controls for this and finding out how to do that.

Even had to Google how to holster my gun.
  • PickledRight 12 Feb 2019 17:07:10 51 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    I've belatedly bought this and saved 11 pounds suckers.

Now just have to wait seven hours to see if it wants to install...
  • MouthOfSauron 13 Feb 2019 16:39:32 5 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 days ago
    Just made it to chapter 3, I went for a casual stroll back up the mountains to finish the gunslinger side quest and stuck around to explore. Found some cool stuff and nabbed a wild horse with some unreal starting stats.

After being in two minds with this game for a good while it has now completely grabbed me and I love it.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Feb 2019 16:56:49 11,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robc84 It does get a bit easier as you get used to it and all starts to feel a bit more natural, but it does take a while.

I'm about to get back into this after a big break so I've probably forgotten everything.
  • robc84 13 Feb 2019 16:59:28 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Should I be ashamed that I chickened out of the Legendary Bear Hunt and decided to leave with Hosea?

I felt my chances of killing said bear were slim to none and I'd be better coming back at a later date. I feel like I may have missed a rite of passage by not being mauled by a bear.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Feb 2019 17:06:34 11,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, you wanted to live. It was a smart choice. It utterly disfigured me when I went against it.
  • Zerobob 13 Feb 2019 22:36:08 2,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cores:

- The more full your health and stamina cores are the faster your health and stamina meters regenerate. Your health / stamina cores start draining when your health / stamina meters are depleted.

- Your dead eye core is a bit different (for some reason) as your dead eye doesn't automatically regenerate. When your dead eye meter is depleted your dead eye core then starts draining, as with your other cores. Then when your dead eye core is depleted your aiming starts drifting, making it hard to aim. All you need to do is keep your dead eye meter topped up by chewing tobacco and you're golden.

I don't know why Rockstar didn't feel it necessary to explain any of this.

Also as @vyseofhr said, the controls are a complete shitshow, which was easily my single biggest frustration with the game, among many.

I finished the epilogue tonight and I have mixed feelings. In some ways it was superb, such as the graphics, characters, the sheer detail, and the atmosphere. I did feel the story could have been a bit more focused and a little less ridiculous though, and I felt the game had far too many frequent frustrations to make it a truly enjoyable experience.

I'm going to post my full thoughts (based on my nerdy notes I've been taking along the way) when I've had a bit of time to reflect and see if people shared my experience, if anyone who's also finished the game is interested at all. I've avoided this thread for months due to spoilers, so I'm kind of itching to talk about the game now.

One thing that has particularly wound me up after completing the game is that the Evelyn Miller / Marko Dragic missions have simply failed to continue after around 75% into the main story.

I did have a Henri Lemieux mission outstanding when I embarked on the final chapter 6 story mission (I wasn't to know I was about to be sidelined into the epilogue, there as no warning) but I was actually able to start this Henri Lemieux mission with John Marston during the epilogue, which was pretty awesome, but the second part of this mission hasn't appeared since.

This is all particularly annoying since I was quite meticulous about cleaning up stranger missions before continuing with the main story, apart from on a few occasions.
  • PickledRight 16 Feb 2019 17:46:41 51 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    God it's nice playing a real cowboy and not that whiny bitch John Marston. It made me realise how much I hated his voice.

Pretty glorious slow paced epic with wonderfully unintuitive controls so far, and can see me solely playing it for the next month.
  • greg_wha 16 Feb 2019 19:49:59 1,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm slow burning this and so far (half way into chapter 3) I prefer/ed Marston. Rose tinted glasses probably, I know.
    I absolutely love the game, but the story missions are by far the weakest bit (aside from the controls but that's R*). The rest of the game is mint though. My God the graphics / atmosphere is incredible. The setting is enough for me though, it's video game Coen brothers True Grit.
  • robc84 16 Feb 2019 22:35:24 13,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a bit of a mixed bag tonight. Did the first debt collection mission but iíd already looted Wrobelís house so I couldnít proceed. Luckily if you deliberately fail a few times by leaving the area it allows you to force the next checkpoint.

Then when picking up the womanís debt by fighting the bloke I had to chase down a witness. Didnít realise iíd chased him into a bull pen and promptly got charged when about to threaten him which was quite amusing. Anyway, that gave him a chance to pull a gun on me so I had to kill him and do a runner. Managed to escape without a bounty somehow.

Crashed my horse into another rider on the way back to camp. He got pissed and pulled a gun on me so he had to die too. I am trying to play honourably but itís bloody hard not to kill people!

Purchased some camp upgrades then headed out to Valentine only to be jumped by some Oídriscolls. They all died (well except one who managed to run away). Got quite a bit of money and loot from them which was nice.

Finally found something dodgy going on behind the doctors before calling it a night.

Loving it so far, despite the clunky controls.

Chapter 2 spoilers btw.
  • PickledRight 17 Feb 2019 07:36:57 51 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Yeah I rode my horse right into a tree. It looked so realistically stupid and something I'd do in real life.

Also there seem to be a lot of cliffs, inches away from hurtling down them, you do have to be careful.

Edited by PickledRight at 07:39:26 17-02-2019
  • greg_wha 17 Feb 2019 07:41:03 1,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Itís the combat, especially the cover mechanic I struggle with. Kinda 4th wall breaking when he starts slow dancing around something you want to hide behind.
  • Zerobob 17 Feb 2019 13:09:08 2,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @greg_wha Made even worse when every mission consists of friendly NPCs shouting at you to do things, rushing you from point to point.

No time to stop and think about strategy here, and don't you dare fall behind or somebody will die or the mission will simply fail.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.