Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 150

• greg_wha 17 Feb 2019 17:02:58 1,295 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PickledRight wrote:
    @greg_wha

Not sure I agree with story missions being weak, they seem quality to me. But I have endured so many horrible stories, that was the norm for most of gaming history, that even half decent stories are still a revelation.
    For example, Iíve just completed a story mission which consisted of sneaking around pouring moonshine on tobacco plants and then burning them with fire bombs.
    I did the exact same mission in GTA San Andreas on my PS2 over a decade ago with weed and petrol bombs.

The overall story arc isnít too bad but itís yet to gain much pace (Iím on chapter 3). Iím told it gets really good 2/3s in but Iím still waiting.
  • Dombat 17 Feb 2019 21:20:54 1,545 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    greg_wha wrote:
    PickledRight wrote:
    @greg_wha

Not sure I agree with story missions being weak, they seem quality to me. But I have endured so many horrible stories, that was the norm for most of gaming history, that even half decent stories are still a revelation.
    For example, Iíve just completed a story mission which consisted of sneaking around pouring moonshine on tobacco plants and then burning them with fire bombs.
    I did the exact same mission in GTA San Andreas on my PS2 over a decade ago with weed and petrol bombs.

The overall story arc isnít too bad but itís yet to gain much pace (Iím on chapter 3). Iím told it gets really good 2/3s in but Iím still waiting.
    Literally just did that mission. I'm enjoying Chapter 3 and it has a mildly interesting subplot but I could do with the game changing its pace soon.

Overall I'm enjoying it as I've been due an immersive story focused game and I'm fine with it's slower pace. I worry about the length of the campaign and variety of the main story missions in a gameplay sense, and that it might outstay it's welcome. I understand it will pick up though.
  • MouthOfSauron 18 Feb 2019 12:34:25 10 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I've finished the campaign now, I thought it was outstanding although the ending felt a bit underwhelming to me I know that Dutch Dies in RDR but I can't remember if Micah pops up in that too

Does the epilogue Just focus on John and setting up the events of RDR or does it bounce back before the time jump at any point?

On a side note, I think Arthur may be the best, most believable character in any game that I've ever played. Nigel 'Friend of Gavin' being a close second :D
  • Zerobob 19 Feb 2019 12:30:21 2,210 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MouthOfSauron Yeah I wonder if it's even possible to find Gav somewhere :)

The epilogue chronologically carries on after the main story, with no jumping back, and just focuses on John making a life for himself, but there's a bit more to it than that.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending you play through it. Some bits are a tedious drag, but it's really the game's true ending in my view.
  • cowell 19 Feb 2019 14:42:43 1,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I'm in the second half of the epilogue. Its a real change of pace. Sometimes it feels fun and like the narrative bridge needed into the first game, but it does also feel like its dragging on a bit.

There's some good moments in there though, so worth seeing it off. Shall be done with it tonight I expect.

I also would like to know where Gavin is. He sounds like a total lad!

Edited by cowell at 14:42:58 19-02-2019
  • cowell 19 Feb 2019 23:08:02 1,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Iím finally done with the story. Incredible piece of work, but perhaps just a tad too long. The epilogue itself is a lovely bridge story wise but man did it go on and on and on

Edited by cowell at 23:08:24 19-02-2019
  • super_whiskey 27 Feb 2019 19:37:46 301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just blasted my way through the rest of chapter 3 and this should hopefully be where it starts getting better.
  • Gunzberg 27 Feb 2019 19:55:39 2,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It finally started getting better in Chapter 5.

Now about 2 missions away from the end of Chapter 6. Only took like 60 hours to start getting enjoyable...
  • Gunzberg 27 Feb 2019 19:56:47 2,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PickledRight wrote:
    God the controls really are atrocious. Hold and let go one button to consume, different scheme for shooting bow than firing gun, doesnít remember your last weapon.

Iím loving hunting more than the actual game like last time though - but spent hours getting pristine pelts, got killed and lost them! Still hunting with no bait or dead eye is awesome.
    That is how I had to redo a stealth mission. I had bow selected, then moved on to next target, game draws my gun! WTF? Instantfail. Redo mission.

fucking stupid design decisions all over the place. All the effin time. Ruins so much of the atmosphere
  • Dombat 27 Feb 2019 22:10:34 1,545 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the main reason I'm scared of putting it down and coming back to it weeks or months later is that I'll forget all the controls and start punching my horse or shooting a trader or something. :D

Nice tactic, Rockstar.
  • vyseofhr 28 Feb 2019 08:15:50 1,201 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    It finally started getting better in Chapter 5.

Now about 2 missions away from the end of Chapter 6. Only took like 60 hours to start getting enjoyable...
    I thought the first half of Chapter 5 was the weakest part of the entire game. Pointless padding.
  • Gunzberg 28 Feb 2019 10:59:47 2,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @vyseofhr, of course, it is utter shameless padding.

BUT no more riding for ages to reach a mission, just mission after mission.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Feb 2019 12:23:57 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The pacing and editing is definitely off in chapters 5 and 6. But these are all hand-crafted, designed missions with lots of voice-acting and whatnot. There are too many of them, and I guess some stuff got moved forward and backward etc. during development what should have been edited out, but it's pretty much the opposite of "shameless padding".

Edited by UncleLou at 12:25:11 28-02-2019
  • greg_wha 28 Feb 2019 22:52:25 1,295 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FML. What am I doing wrong all I want is improved arrows and Iíve just spend 3 hours stalking a lake only to kill one fucking duck how do I get loads of sodding feathers, FML.
  • greg_wha 1 Mar 2019 06:12:23 1,295 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah cheers. Flushing them out and shooting them down is the way to go. Ditched the game for Dark Souls last night but Iím gonna go back at the weekend and give hunting a proper go. I really want to enjoy it but Iím just finding it annoying more than anything.
  • hedben2013 1 Mar 2019 08:25:52 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PickledRight wrote:
    Vermont rifle.
    Haven't heard of this one, does it spit maple syrup?
  • Dombat 1 Mar 2019 08:37:15 1,545 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Obviously everyone wants different things out of an open world game like this but personally I find mostly ignoring hunting and the other challenges key to me enjoying the game.

Been doing pretty much all side missions (currently halfway through chapter 4) but otherwise trying to get on with the main story missions. The game world is stunning but I don't want to be playing this for months, especially with Sekiro on the way in a few weeks.
  • JamboWayOh 1 Mar 2019 08:37:22 12,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol, he means Varmint rifle.
  • monkman76 1 Mar 2019 08:39:50 14,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Vermont rifle is for shooting WASPs.
  • X201 1 Mar 2019 09:34:04 19,160 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    greg_wha wrote:
    Ditched the game for Dark Souls last night but Iím gonna go back at the weekend
    You'll have forgotten the controls by then ;)
  • welshben1982 1 Mar 2019 12:24:35 1,285 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    @vyseofhr, of course, it is utter shameless padding.

BUT no more riding for ages to reach a mission, just mission after mission.
  • Dombat 1 Mar 2019 15:38:02 1,545 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chapter 4 over. Wow, the finales get bigger with every chapter.

Pleased I pushed on with the story as I enjoyed chapter 4 overall.
  • Gunzberg 1 Mar 2019 17:28:48 2,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally done with the epilogue and all.

I could write a short novel on all the design flaws. And in the end the story was not all that...

Will do some map cleaning of collectibles, sniff into online and call it a day. Any reviewer who gave this more than 80% should be committed.
  • X201 2 Mar 2019 19:13:08 19,160 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Christ! The controls are total shite!

Apologies for the bump, but needed to vent.
  • theone1 2 Mar 2019 19:40:18 17 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm basically shite at games yet had no problems with the controls, what are you all struggling with? It's not like there's 10s of different buttons/commands to press.
  • robc84 2 Mar 2019 19:56:47 13,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The controls are a little clunky, but iíve not really found them that bad so far.

Quick question re bounties...

I have a $195 bounty in Strawberry after breaking Micah out of prison. I donít really want to spend most of my hard stolen cash clearing that. Whatís my best option? I heard you can hand yourself in somehow?

Edited by robc84 at 19:57:19 02-03-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.