Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 151

• crashVoodoo 2 Mar 2019 20:12:49 6,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @robc84

I just avoided that section for a bit. You start to get opportunities for cash which make bounties less painful

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:13:40 02-03-2019
  • theone1 2 Mar 2019 20:41:56 25 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just pay the bounty, you can make loads of money so bounties aren't really a concern
  • Gunzberg 2 Mar 2019 21:55:59 2,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You got to pay it.

I had a $300 bounty after busting Micah, took me ages to clear at the time.
  • robc84 2 Mar 2019 22:34:49 13,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just done the next Micah mission so can pay off that bounty fairly comfortably now :)

Guessing iím near the end of chapter 2 now. I do wish john would have a wash though. I realise itís tough living in the wilderness but have some dignity man.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Mar 2019 22:36:40 12,341 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah. Money will eh. Cease to be a problem.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Mar 2019 09:49:57 12,341 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished the main story last night. I was gutted when my horse died :( .

How long does the epilogue go on for? I'm going to do it but only because I hope I get the change for John to kill Micah, the massive prick.

All in all though re: the main story... It was really good. Personally thought that Arthur was one of the best characters I've ever played as in a video game, with John in RDR1 not far behind. I was gutted when he died even though I always knew he would (even before the TB as, well, he isn't in RDR1 so it's logical to think he dies). I also can't believe just how much I ended up getting to know and subsequently caring for such a large diverse cast of characters. Each one felt like a real person and it truly was a feat that Rockstair injected each one with so much personality.

I don't want to rush the epilogue now so I may have a bit of a break again seeing as how The Division 2 and Sekiro are looming. It's one of these games that I think benefits from taking breaks in and truly immersing yourself in each time you do go back and play it.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 09:50:23 13-03-2019
  • cowell 13 Mar 2019 10:41:25 1,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The epilogue is pretty long, maybe another 8 hours of gameplay depending on how much you rush it. It has some very cool moments and some chores, so its a bit up and down but absolutely worth playing for the sense of closure and bridge to the story of RDR1.

RDR2 is a weird one. It's an absolute masterpiece of game design and sets a new high bar for open world games. But honestly it was just far too long in my opinion and as incredible as it is, its not even a consideration for my personal favourite games ever.

Edited by cowell at 10:43:56 13-03-2019
  • Zerobob 13 Mar 2019 10:46:47 2,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The epilogue isn't too long, relatively, but I thought it felt long given how tedious the epilogue missions are. However, I'd say it was essential that you play it.

I agree with your thoughts on Arthur, but I don't share your thoughts on the cast of characters. I can remember a lot of them, sure, but I wouldn't say I cared for most of them.
  • Zerobob 13 Mar 2019 10:57:36 2,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @cowell Agreed, it was far too long. I took my time initially, exploring, doing hunting, treasure hunts etc. Indulging everything the game had to offer.

Then I realised my friends were unlocking huge swathes of functionality by purely concentrating on the story.

So I started concentrating on the story and it really opened up the game, which was annoying in a way, given the time I'd spent away from the main story. Then the story went on, and on, and on. Every time I thought I was nearing the end a new chapter started and the story kept going.

I shocked how so many people completed this game so quickly after release.
  • deez 13 Mar 2019 11:12:28 275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The epilogue ending is a mile better than the main story in my opinion, so yeah definitely do it.
  • askew 13 Mar 2019 11:24:00 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think the way it had me caring for a bunch of digital characters helps elevate it to the upper echelons. I'm struggling to think of other titles which had me feel similarly Ė perhaps Half Life 2?

For that, I can look past the cumbersome controls, and perhaps too much padding.

(That amazing engine too.)

Edited by askew at 11:25:14 13-03-2019
  • Gunzberg 13 Mar 2019 13:57:22 2,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    94% complete. I can not be bothered anymore to go for 100% and do all the crappy challenges and whatnot.

Moving on to Enderal.
  • welshben1982 13 Mar 2019 15:27:26 1,290 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wuntyphyve 13 Mar 2019 15:47:16 12,341 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It really is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. But I really did feel like these were proper 3-dimensional characters. The dialogue, voice acting, the way they looked, moved. This game is everything I loved about watching westerns growing up. The hopelessness, the pathos, the evocation of a dying era, the insumountable odds and the shades of grey that make up the main cast. I may have cried a little when Arthur died, much like I did when John died in RDR1.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2019 15:29:00
    I've completed the main story and played about half an hour of the epilogue.

I had no idea the game had an epilogue and I feel pretty dumb because as much as it was heavily and thoroughly signposted that everything was spiralling to a close, I fully expected some magical resolution based purely on the fact that I'd barely begun to scratch the surface on all the percentage completion stats, and I hadn't even been to Blackwater yet, which is clearly a place that exists on the map and the characters kept talking about it.

I guess it confounded a lot of my expectations of what happens in a game - I'd gone to lots of trouble collecting many animal skins, donating everything I earned to camp funds, and trying to get what I need to unlock the various camp decorations. For those things to just go away without warning, for the sake of the story being told, is really unusual for a game. I just naturally assumed once I played through some more missions the gang would get back together somehow and I could get back to putting up my deer antlers.

So when it did finally end how it did, I felt a lot of regret that I hadn't really appreciated the gravity of what was happening fully. And I'd left so many loose ends not settled because I thought I'd get to them later, but then that if anything is part of the story of what happened to Arthur. If it wasn't such a long game I think I'd want to play through it again and really take it all in.

Stunning, stunning game though. It really felt like a big step forward for the whole medium on so many levels. Such well realised characters throughout, all the incidental details, there's never been another game that comes close to such a well realised world. And I'm sure I'll still be spending a good few more hours in it.
  • Zerobob 14 Mar 2019 18:08:02 2,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jambajuice wrote:
    I'd gone to lots of trouble collecting many animal skins, donating everything I earned to camp funds, and trying to get what I need to unlock the various camp decorations. For those things to just go away without warning, for the sake of the story being told, is really unusual for a game.
    Yes I felt quite cheated in a way after completing the game. I assumed you'd get some of these things back somehow, especially the money I'd tirelessly spent time accruing, looting bodies, etc. or the horses I'd spent time training. Or, as you say, all the endless things you'd donated to camp. It all felt like hours of my life completely wasted in the end, which I didn't appreciate.

Yes, you inherit Arthur's satchel contents, but I'd unknowingly already sold $10,000 worth of gold bars from doing the treasure hunts before completing the game, got locked into the endgame missions, and never had chance to spend that money, so lost it all without warning... Why doesn't John also inherit Arthur's money? Of course, this is all trivial, because money is practically meaningless by the end of the game, but should it have been? It's a bold choice.

The game seems at odds with itself in this regard. On one hand it has all these for you to do, all these systems to understand and master, to become invested in, all these things to collect, but it secretly would rather you just mindlessly just rushed through the story.

For all the game's achievements, I don't think the game's design was one of them. Worse than that though, this game has negatively impacted me - I'm now going to be eternally wary of becoming deeply invested in games in the future, which is a massive shame.
  • robc84 17 Mar 2019 08:09:19 13,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Havenít been able to get on for about a week or so due to kids being ill and not going to bed :(

I have a feeling this will be another game I never manage to finish :(
  • Dougs 17 Mar 2019 10:29:47 89,593 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It is an epic though. I've just made it to Saint Denis and I've had it for 6 months! As with all games like this, it doesn't really enable you to dip on for 20 mins here or there
  • robc84 17 Mar 2019 11:16:22 13,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thatís my biggest issue. Itís been 9:30 / 10 pm by the time I can get in recently and that only gives me 30 odd mins to play and it doesnít seem worth it!

Iím going to stick with it hopefully to the end, but it could take some time!
  • wuntyphyve 17 Mar 2019 11:32:37 12,341 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 you can do a mission in about 20-30 mins man. I would honestly just focus on doing one mission at a time with your sessions. Thatís what I ended up doing and actually itís all the better for it.
  • Dougs 17 Mar 2019 16:39:48 89,593 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I get that, but I am so easily distracted. My horse Nora won't brush and feed herself you know!
  • X201 17 Mar 2019 16:58:34 19,249 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have the same problem with Nobby
  • robc84 17 Mar 2019 22:04:04 13,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Managed to get a bit of time on tonight. Didnít really get much done, other than a house robbery and returning a mule painted like a zebra to its owner. Plus a few other random encounters out on the trail.

Decided to finish up with a bit of fishing with Kieran. After hooking my first fish a naked man swims out and starts chatting, with Arthur saying Ďis this why you like this spot so much?í :)
  • up_the_ante 18 Mar 2019 13:48:05 1,058 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The development team are going to have to up their workload to 130 hours per week to better this masterpiece.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2019 14:55:32
    Finally completed the game and seen the credits.

Thought I'd spend a few more hours hunting and fishing because I really enjoyed that early on before getting pulled away from it and into the story, but motivation stopped pretty quickly with no camp to bring skins back to and nothing to spend money on. So instead I went and explored the south west of the map, impressive that there's an entire extra state to explore with wildly different scenery to anywhere you go during the campaign. Ran around for ages though and although I found two towns and a new gang who occasionally attacked me, there didn't seem to be any side quests or interesting events to interact with.

I've no interest in online so I think that's me done. I really enjoyed the story and thought it has some great characters, but I do wish it wasn't so at odds with some of the open world fun to be had.
  • X201 18 Mar 2019 20:22:09 19,249 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So why are Xbox owners complaining of the same downgrade?
  • super_whiskey 20 Mar 2019 21:11:10 301 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm coming to the end of ch5. How much time is there til the end of the epilogue if I was to just do the story missions?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.