Following Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 156

• hedben2013 7 Nov 2019 10:58:14 1,248 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @erasr Yeah, I'm also a big fan of RDR Online now that they've added the 3 roles. Somehow I had 40 gold in the bank coming back to RDR Online after about a year away, I got one of the roles for free (Twitch Prime thing) and used my gold for the other 2. I'd recommend doing the Collector stuff early- it's not as much fun as Bounty Hunter but it's a very efficient and quick money earner.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 22:11:00 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, so the PC version is fucking terrible. Multiple crash-to-desktops (just triggered one by trying to change my mouse sensitivity). Barely functional menus. Worst implementation of HDR I've ever seen.

This needed months more QA before being allowed out the door. I've not even had any of the glitches that prevent me from loading the game up. Starting to wish I had.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:11:13 08-11-2019
  • Fake_Blood 8 Nov 2019 22:41:24 9,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had 2 crashes on launch day but since yesterdayís update itís been fine. And I found a mod to remove the black bars during cut-scenes for 21:9 displays. This and Control are two games where Iíve stopped and just looked around a bit in amazement.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 23:10:29 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm not finding the graphics that great in this. Control, I'll agree on. The tech it uses is very different from most other games out there, but when it works, it really works. This still feels very much like "poor man's Witcher 3".

Controls are awful, too. Movement is clunky and we really don't need to be made to hold buttons for every prompt on PC. A press is just fine.
  • Bichii 8 Nov 2019 23:14:58 2,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Witcher 3 is definitely one of the best games ever but rdr2 is definitely not a poor man's version. Apart from the camera and open world they are nothing alike. Rdr2 is an incredible game, I prefer w3 but rdr2 is also one of the best games ever made.
  • erasr 8 Nov 2019 23:41:44 366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @hedben2013 Thanks for the tip. Stupid question but what do I need to spend my money on? New to online, as you can see, but unsure as to what the priorities are. Started the Collector stuff on your recommendation but need some motivation/reason to earn lots of money!
  • erasr 8 Nov 2019 23:57:04 366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RDR2 easily, and I mean easily, has the best graphics on this current generation. It is simply incredible.

@Rogueywon, you must be on PC, right?

Graphics.... ahhh, Iím looking at them now thinking how on earth did Rockstar achieve this. Having months off this game and going back to it is the best gaming idea Iíve had this year!
  • Fake_Blood 9 Nov 2019 00:14:05 9,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Itís not just the landscapes but also the changing atmospheric conditions. Best so far were fog in the morning brightly lit by the sun and lightning in the distance at night. The audio is equally impressive. It really sounds like being outside, the trains sound hefty, the sound of gunshots in the distance is spot on.

Now Iím wondering what Breath of the Wild would look like in this engine.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2019 01:22:38 15,740 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I'm not finding the graphics that great in this. Control, I'll agree on. The tech it uses is very different from most other games out there, but when it works, it really works. This still feels very much like "poor man's Witcher 3".

Controls are awful, too. Movement is clunky and we really don't need to be made to hold buttons for every prompt on PC. A press is just fine.
    C'mon dude, I know you like to rag on stuff but to say this doesn't look that good is a bit Billy bullshit. The macro and micro detail in a game of this breadth is incredible. While Witcher 3 is indeed a very good looking game, Red Dead 2 blows it out of the water visually if nothing else.
  • KD 9 Nov 2019 02:41:38 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago

After playing it on a base Xbox One last year I'm quite happy with it.
  • Bichii 9 Nov 2019 08:30:11 2,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah as mentioned above the weather effects are breathtaking. I was in the swamp at dawn once and there was a mist across it with the sunlight breaking through the trees and all the audio effects of the water and the wildlife.

A later level were you go on a slow horse ride with a certain npc up a mountain and you can see across most the map. I had to stop and take some screenshots it looked so incredible.

I'm on the "I'm poor" base PS4 as well.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 08:46:51 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Landscapes and lighting look good, particularly at a distance. View distance is excellent. Character models aren't that great, though, compared to some other titles I've seen. Hair, on both humans and animals, isn't anything like as well done as it could have been.
  • Blackmarsh63 9 Nov 2019 08:53:43 2,669 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Controls are awful, too. Movement is clunky." That's W3 all over and horse control is pants also.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 08:58:09 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63 At least in W3, the horse went vaguely where I wanted it to. It might just be an issue with mouse+kb controls (or the general bugginess of the PC version), but I've had the horse in this suddenly decide to veer off sideways into a tree for no reason.

W3 wasn't perfect in the controls regard, but it was better than this. That said, I'm happy to believe this is at least partly down to a shonky PC port.
  • ChiefGB 9 Nov 2019 09:00:44 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red dead controls are a bit on the bumbly side tbf, we probably just came to terms with it a long time ago lol. The breadth of systems and sense of place/story more than make up for it. Also donít forget that it takes a long while to get going.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 09:03:33 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB I'd like to be enjoying this more and to be more impressed by it. Unfortunately, it's not working so far. What I'm not clear on is how much of that is the game and how much of it is an utterly awful PC port. Trying to think of the last time I saw a PC release - especially a deferred one - that was as bad as this and I think you'd need to go back a good few years.

GTA5 looked stunning on PC, so it's not like Rockstar can't do it.
  • ChiefGB 9 Nov 2019 09:15:59 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did reload this the other day and while the character models werenít quite as good as I remember (played online bit for a few mins) it all still looked rather lovely. Could be a slight downgrade to that side due to the mp nature though.

Have you got out of ĒwinterĒ yet?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 09:22:59 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Yes, just about.

Wasn't helped by having a crash to desktop when I tweaked my mouse sensitivity late in the final "winter" mission, requring me to do the whole thing again from the start.

Edited by Rogueywon at 09:23:11 09-11-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Nov 2019 09:30:34 7,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is the engine comparable to GTA 5? I can run that comfortably at 1080/30 at high settings, but am worried that RDR2 will be as demanding to my laptop now than GTA was when I bought that on my previous one - i.e. it was unplayable.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 09:35:34 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll It's way more demanding that GTA5. 4k/ultra/60fps wasn't that hard in GTA5, but is way out of reach in RDR2 on current hardware. Guessing it's all the fancy lighting and particle effects. Not many games without RTX features hit the hardware this hard. Could also be poor optimisation, of course, given how bad this port is.

Note that some of the people reporting the most serious problems with the game (frequent 3-second-ish in-game freezes) are running on lower powered CPU. There seems to be something going on behind the scenes that causes intermittent CPU spikes. Some reports that you can reduce this using CPU throttling software. More details here.

I think I'm going to drop this for now. Trying to play it in such a broken state is pissing me off and may be souring me on the game more than is fair. May come back to it in a couple of months once it's been patched (this doesn't feel like a "wait a week for a hotfix" territory). Will be infuriating if the price drops heavily before it's fixed, but hey ho there we are.
  • ChiefGB 9 Nov 2019 09:35:44 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It sounds like the requirements are daft tbh, not sure if the extra bells and whistles are truly worth the rigs needed to run them above the x for example (fr aside) which rockstar seem to have forgotten ran at full 4K with hdr going by their pc marketing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 09:42:44 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB I suspect there's some truly awful optimisation here. I've only previously seen levels of performance hammering on games that go all-in on fancy RTX features (e.g. Control). They honestly need to consider pulling the PC version from sale for a while and re-releasing against after Christmas once they've fixed it.

Poor optimisation is one thing. Non-functional menus and frequent crashes to desktop (regardless of hardware) are something else.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 09:50:49 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In the quest to say something nice about this, I'll observe that while I'm not easily impressed by game writing (I've torn into Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 recently and am a tough sell on Naughty Dog style stuff), what I've seen of the characters, dialogue and overall writing in this so far has impressed me. It feels very... non-game-y, other than the obvious thinly-veiled-tutorial stuff.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Nov 2019 09:55:32 14,620 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The game gets far better looking than the snow bit I think. The camp you have by the river its absolutely stunning at times.

Also use a pad when you get on a horse imo.
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Nov 2019 10:00:29 7,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon thanks for the write up, sounds like I won't be playing this then sadly until in a few years perhaps.

Oh well, still have RDR sitting on my PS3 if I ever fancy playing cowboy but yeah slightly envious. Will get over it though as my patience for plot heavy games has tanked in recent years anyways.
  • Fake_Blood 9 Nov 2019 10:09:02 9,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also Roguey, are you running everything on ultra/high? Because that will run like crap even on a 9900k/2080ti. Iíd go back to default, put lighting on high, anisotropic filtering to 8x, only use TAA, disable motion blur and water physics (the slider completely to the left).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2019 10:23:36 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fake_Blood I've used resolution scaling and turned down the AA a bit. My framerate's acceptable. But the port more generally isn't.

As I say, I'm putting it down for the moment as trying to push on more with an unstable, buggy piece of shit like this is going to annoy me. If I'm to have any chance of enjoying this, I'll come back after a few patches.
  • Fake_Blood 9 Nov 2019 10:50:15 9,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Itís strange because itís been fine for me since the update that downloaded two days ago. Make sure you have updates turned on in the launcher. Also turn off AA completely except for TAA. Makes little sense to use FSAA which does supersampling if youíre going to downsample in the end, especially if youíre using 4k already.
  • magicpanda 9 Nov 2019 10:50:35 14,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you find your horse slamming into trees and fences stop pressing the gallop button near anything you have to dodge or jump and the horse will generally take care of the rest.
  • KD 9 Nov 2019 13:20:38 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Horse relative setting makes k&m make more sense.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.