Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 158

• docrob 23 Jan 2020 09:47:54 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, thanks a bunch, Rockstar. Was playing last night and did the last mission of Chapter 4 (the St Denis bank robbery). The designers then apparently decided that the entire chunk of Chapter 5 that takes place off the main map must be played through in one sitting. I think I played 7 missions, one after the other, each one leading to the next via another cut scene. There are some brief times when you appear to be back to free roaming, but during these the save function was disabled, despite no mission being active!

Finally I got back. Can I save now? No, do a long cinematic horse ride first. Can I save now? No, another cut scene, followed by another ride, and another cut scene where you reunite with the gang. Finally I can save! No, the cut scene runs straight into another story mission where you have to kill about a hundred Pinkertons. Finally, after that was over, the damn game let me save.

I wouldnít have minded so much, except it was about 11pm when I started the initial mission. I finally got to bed at 1.30...
  • Bichii 23 Jan 2020 10:15:49 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It auto saves after each cut scene
  • docrob 23 Jan 2020 10:19:12 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    It auto saves after each cut scene
    I thought it probably did, but I still didnít want to turn it off and risk having to do part of it again
  • docrob 29 Jan 2020 21:20:49 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Done. Finally. Took me a month, and about 90 hours of gameplay. I loved it though, and Iím going to miss it in that odd way that you miss a good book.
  • Frogofdoom 29 Jan 2020 21:34:24 16,587 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you do the epilogue as well?
  • docrob 29 Jan 2020 21:36:43 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Did you do the epilogue as well?
    Of course. Had to finish it off properly!
  • Bichii 29 Jan 2020 21:39:05 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought it was 10/10 up until the epilogue. I thought the epilogue was almost entirely pointless and a total drag after the excellent main game. Basically I really don't care about the last character,dull af Vs main game.
  • docrob 29 Jan 2020 22:19:04 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I thought it was 10/10 up until the epilogue. I thought the epilogue was almost entirely pointless and a total drag after the excellent main game. Basically I really don't care about the last character,dull af Vs main game.
    Iíd agree that the epilogue is overlong. Could have been half the length or less. I did enjoy it though - it makes what happened at the end of the main game feel more meaningful. It also sets up the events of the first game very nicely (though this does slightly spoil the Ďhappyí ending!)

My main gripe is that Iíd rather have gone back to playing as Arthur for the post-completion.

Edited by docrob at 17:26:38 30-01-2020
  • alt-cmd-esc 30 Jan 2020 11:11:30 478 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, I loved the game, but the epilogue soured the experience for me. Arthur ftw, moaning John Marston not so much.

edit: should I spoiler this? - okay, have done

Edited by alt-cmd-esc at 14:58:11 30-01-2020
  • monkman76 30 Jan 2020 13:30:30 16,157 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes!
  • docrob 30 Jan 2020 17:27:01 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've spoilered mine as well, just in case.
  • robc84 27 Feb 2020 11:53:15 14,507 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've gone back to this after another break. The last one was my fault I got caught up doing the hunting and challenges and found I was getting bored. I've now picked up the story again and enjoying it. I think I need to stay focused on the story and not get distracted and I'll be able to get through it.

Not sure what chapter I am on (I've just taken over the Murfee Brood camp and busted John out of Alcatraz). I feel I must be getting towards the end now though.
  • Bichii 27 Feb 2020 17:01:34 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah stay focused , you'll enjoy it far more.
  • Phattso 3 Apr 2020 12:48:25 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced download code for this on Xbox One - but even now they seem to be more than twice what you can get the physical copy for (if you can find one at all).

Hive Mind Assemble! Where aren't I looking for a sensibly priced code? :)
  • KD 3 Apr 2020 12:50:39 2,757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/red-dead-redemption-2
  • Phattso 3 Apr 2020 13:00:34 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @KD Ha! Awesome. This fucker went on sale overnight! I looked before bed and it was £60 for the basic version. Thanks! :D
  • Phattso 19 Apr 2020 12:27:13 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Soooo... I'm a little way into Chapter 2 and I've had my "oh, just fuck this game in the face" moment. I'm after a little clarity on what I should do in this sort of situation. :)

It was the mission with Hosea where he takes you on a hunt for the Legendary Bear, via buying your first horse, kitting it out, making camp, doing the crafting tutorial, and all that and when I got to the end and decided to carry on without him. Managed to bag what I was after, load it onto the horse, and then flush with victory set of an a glorious 20 minute ride back to camp.

About halfway through the ride, I got waylaid by half a dozen dudes on horses and was dead within seconds. Now, bear in mind this is literally the first time in the game I've experienced death...

...the game drops me in the middle of nowhere, my brand new horse, with my epic bear pelt is nowhere to be seen, and I'm facing a fairly long walk to camp.

Should I just make my peace that this is the way the game is, and not get attached to horses and possessions and the like? Is this ganking going to happen often?

Worse still, I reloaded to a point just at the end of the mission and the legendary bear is nowhere to be seen and I have no bait. :-/ I guess I could just replay the mission, but that also seems to rather break the flow of what is otherwise an awesome experience dripping with atmosphere.
  • RGeefe 19 Apr 2020 13:43:48 1,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Rockstar need to have two teams, really - one to build their world and then a completely separate one to actually do the game mechanics.

I'm slightly hoping that the change in structure at the top will create a change of games. About a decade ago they put out a variety (ish) of games. Now it's just a big open world crime game.
  • disusedgenius 19 Apr 2020 14:41:43 10,545 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    ...the game drops me in the middle of nowhere, my brand new horse, with my epic bear pelt is nowhere to be seen, and I'm facing a fairly long walk to camp.
    When you die you lose all your stored pelts. The legendary pelts SHOULD get picked up by the trapper so you can still craft the unique equipment from it. However I hit a bug with a different legendary creature where it disappeared completely. 12 hours later I realised and clearly it was way too long ago to have a save to reload. :(

You should have your horse back with you after you die if it's your registered horse though, that doesn't sound usual. Unless he got killed in the crossfire. Sadly that was the fate of Roger Horse, my first true steed.

Worse still, I reloaded to a point just at the end of the mission and the legendary bear is nowhere to be seen and I have no bait.
    If there's a picture on your main map of a bear with a crown and a couple of crosses through it then the game has registered that you killed it. As I say, the trapper should have the item (though you don't get the money from selling it to him). But there is a bug risk.

Is this ganking going to happen often?
    Oh yes! Though you'll start to see the warning signs of an ambush eventually, plus more skills to get the better of them.
  • docrob 19 Apr 2020 14:42:05 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Soooo... I'm a little way into Chapter 2 and I've had my "oh, just fuck this game in the face" moment. I'm after a little clarity on what I should do in this sort of situation. :)

It was the mission with Hosea where he takes you on a hunt for the Legendary Bear, via buying your first horse, kitting it out, making camp, doing the crafting tutorial, and all that and when I got to the end and decided to carry on without him. Managed to bag what I was after, load it onto the horse, and then flush with victory set of an a glorious 20 minute ride back to camp.

About halfway through the ride, I got waylaid by half a dozen dudes on horses and was dead within seconds. Now, bear in mind this is literally the first time in the game I've experienced death...

Should I just make my peace that this is the way the game is, and not get attached to horses and possessions and the like? Is this ganking going to happen often?

Worse still, I reloaded to a point just at the end of the mission and the legendary bear is nowhere to be seen and I have no bait. :-/ I guess I could just replay the mission, but that also seems to rather break the flow of what is otherwise an awesome experience dripping with atmosphere.
    You canít lose a legendary pelt. If you are killed whilst carrying it, itíll turn up at the trapper when you visit him next. You can get your main horse back as well, though I canít recall how right now.
  • disusedgenius 19 Apr 2020 14:43:26 10,545 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Yeah. Rockstar need to have two teams, really - one to build their world and then a completely separate one to actually do the game mechanics.
    Didn't you see the credits? They have a couple of dozen teams spread across the globe.
  • docrob 19 Apr 2020 14:44:27 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you whistle for your horse when you respawn, it will usually reappear IIRC. If not, then itís probably dead.
  • Phattso 19 Apr 2020 14:46:41 25,473 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks all for the comments. Iíll just suck it up. Cheers. 👍
  • KnuttinAtoll 20 Jun 2020 12:39:18 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now that I have a powerful enough "rig" to play this, it's landed on my Steam wishlist.

Have the issues plaguing the PC release at the beginning been addressed at this stage or am I better off waiting for a sale (not even sure R* do sales as such)?
  • HelloNo 20 Jun 2020 16:52:08 2,190 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only played the multiplayer (yes, I know) but I didn't experience any problems except the online server kicking me off every now and then. Gameplay seemed very stable.

Edit: Not sure if an issue for you but the download is HUGE, almost 100gb.

Edited by HelloNo at 16:53:18 20-06-2020
  • KnuttinAtoll 20 Jun 2020 18:17:30 8,146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @HelloNo Thought I read 150GB on Steam :o My connection can handle it thankfully.

Not interested at all in the online part but stable performance is what I'm after. Sounds good.
  • X201 20 Jun 2020 18:55:16 20,701 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll

It will come around on a sale at some point.
    Itís not Rockstarís choice, they have to as part of being on Steam
  • freddymercurystwin 20 Jun 2020 19:29:36 2,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think this might be my next game, holding off getting it until I've exhausted The Division 2, looks quite gory which is always a plus for me. Should find it for less than a tenner.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.