Red Dead Redemption 2 Page 3

• X201 9 Feb 2016 11:09:57 18,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, have traced it back to the "source".

Its started one MNR Daily in an article that gave no source, didn't say where the info had come from and then just reprinted a load of old Take Two statements on the game as filler/verification.

As per all previous Rockstar stuff.
    When its announced it will be by them, not some low rent click-bait website.

Edited by X201 at 11:10:07 09-02-2016
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2016 11:12:59 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Big-Swiss 9 Feb 2016 11:42:14 9,317 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    well sorry about that then, I'm not a source hunter. I just have my wishdreams so anything going that way makes my hopes go up.

but I see now, it is very unlikley to come.

I personally find it weird. I'm sure it would make Rockstar enough Money.
  • Rivuzu 9 Feb 2016 11:43:31 17,600 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They don't need money.
  • X201 9 Feb 2016 12:04:49 18,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're raking cash in from GTA 5 multiplayer.
    The return on investment for a single player story based game is what their bean counters look at.

Face it, all future games will be designed with that in mind, the days of the 40 hour, single player story will be very few and far between.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2016 12:07:10 32,207 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still believe RDR2 is happening. Given the commercial success of RDR I can't see it not happening at some point. It's just that it's very unlikely to be an E3 announcement as R* like to announce stuff on their own terms.
  • Phattso 9 Feb 2016 12:09:38 24,144 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    They're raking cash in from GTA 5 multiplayer.
    The return on investment for a single player story based game is what their bean counters look at.

Face it, all future games will be designed with that in mind, the days of the 40 hour, single player story will be very few and far between.
    You don't see there being mileage in a large single player RDR2 that then also has a GTA Online style multiplayer wild west world tagged on, that makes them more buckeroonies?

Frankly I'm struggling to think of a better concept right now. :) Form posses to go out robbing stagecoaches, or form as deputies under a Sheriff to go and restore order. They could make it work.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2016 12:16:20 32,207 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wonder if they'll be tempted to do a new RDR as an online only game, with RDR given free on backwards compatibility as an extra for single-player fun, a bit like Rainbow Six Siege having the 2 Vegas games with it?
  • X201 9 Feb 2016 12:20:22 18,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

You don't see there being mileage in a large single player RDR2 that then also has a GTA Online style multiplayer wild west world tagged on, that makes them more buckeroonies?

Frankly I'm struggling to think of a better concept right now. :) Form posses to go out robbing stagecoaches, or form as deputies under a Sheriff to go and restore order. They could make it work.
    Yep, there's loads of dosh in it and it would be a massive success.
    What you won't get is 40 hours of single player storyline with it.
    You'll get the Call of Duty route, tiny single player and then they'll live off the multiplayer.

Whichever game is next out of Rockstar may still be a 40 hour story, because development may have been baked in before the GTA multiplayer success hit, but after that, I can see tiny story and heavy on the multiplayer being the order of the day.
  • drhickman1983 9 Feb 2016 12:24:58 5,561 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If future Rockstar games feature a half baked single player with the priority shifted onto multiplayer, well, I guess I wont be buying their future games. Not too bad, saves me some money.
  • Phattso 9 Feb 2016 12:29:26 24,144 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the formula is too established and too expected. As drhickman says, if they eschew the single player content I'd be willing to bet the audience would shrink dramatically once people realised.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Feb 2016 12:32:02 12,885 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel like the SP and MP for these sorts of games could easily become the same thing. Bit like Destiny.
  • X201 9 Feb 2016 12:39:59 18,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I feel like the SP and MP for these sorts of games could easily become the same thing. Bit like Destiny.
    What, multiplayer peeps turning up in your single player game?
    That winds me up something rotten. At least with separate SP/MP you can take or leave it.
  • SomaticSense 9 Feb 2016 12:42:21 15,062 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can see them merging the two elements, but I really hope not.

GTAO elements like the random cunts who gun you down for no reason would be horrible in GTA5's campaign. I can't think of a single example where adding MMO elements to a game's core experience improved things for the single player gamer. And given that the SP-based storytelling is a huge selling factor for GTA games, I think it'd be a big mistake.
  • drhickman1983 9 Feb 2016 12:46:36 5,561 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thinking about it, if they had pve servers I might give an MMO style GTA or RDR a go. But how that'd work is a mystery as you'd still be run down by cars or horses and that'd be just as annoying.
  • SomaticSense 9 Feb 2016 12:55:40 15,062 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I always loved the idea of an online GTA, where everyone played in the same world as you.

Then I played GTAO.
  • Phattso 9 Feb 2016 13:17:08 24,144 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe not like Destiny, but The Division points the way to something that could work. A 'zone' in the world where all this shit goes down, and it can be pointed to from the story, referenced, always there in the background - but the single player can't 'suffer' from griefing.

Destiny doesn't suffer from griefing per se, but can be quite immersion breaking when you're doing a hard run through a mission and there's someone standing on a rock doing a YMCA emote or something. :)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Feb 2016 13:30:09 12,885 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, Division, Destiny, whatever. I didn't really mean specific game mechanics, just more the open world SP/MP merging thing.
  • nickthegun 9 Feb 2016 13:37:45 75,875 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would be surprised if there wasn't an idea on the slate to allow motherfuckers to drop into your game and rustle your cattle.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:40:12
    Fuck that... I don't want any wankers ruining my sense of immersion. Turned off the invasion feature in watch_dogs straight after the first invasion (or I might've just unplugged the network cable)

Forcing a shared world is never a good thing, especially if it leads towards games having to be always online even if you just want to do the single player stuff.
  • technotica 9 Feb 2016 13:41:44 608 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder how they are still making cash with GTAO, it's not like they put in any new big content?

What is everyone paying for? Virtual money?
  • nickthegun 9 Feb 2016 13:42:42 75,875 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I usually would agree but RDR was so barren and boring that having idiots rampaging around the plains would liven it up no end.
  • Bambot 9 Feb 2016 13:44:33 1,263 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I'd still rather have some sort of single player for GTA V and I don't really agree with the statement that the community is waiting. Whilst they nailed the feel of a Western and the characters to boot, time hasn't been kind to Red Dead. It's such a fucking drag to go back and play.
    Don't think the playability of the original is at all relevant to whether or not the community is waiting.

I for one would love RDD2.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:46:10
    Just picture the scene;

You cross the river to Mexico for the first time as the sun sets to the haunting sound of Josť Gonzales... As you reach the far shore, you see a group of players standing on top of a wagon doing jumping jacks
  • FrostPan 9 Feb 2016 13:50:17 1,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All this RDR sequel talk has reminded me that I should really play RDR someday. Always been put off on playing it since a shithead on my twitter feed thought it was acceptable to spoil the ending within months of release. I'm sure the gameplay is excellent, but still.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Feb 2016 13:50:54 12,885 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At some point the GTA/RRD format needs to evolve again. It's still relatively unchanged from GTA3 15 years ago. The graphical polish of each new one only masks the sense that you've done it all before for so long.

Bringing in MMO elements has huge potential for MMO games. You can still heavily curate how that experience works to ensure the narrative integrity of the SP remains. It doesn't have to change it all that much, but I really can't see them separating SP and MP like they did with GTA V again. The experiences can be combined to create the best of both worlds and have a much richer game.
  • drhickman1983 9 Feb 2016 13:52:14 5,561 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    technotica wrote:
    I wonder how they are still making cash with GTAO, it's not like they put in any new big content?

What is everyone paying for? Virtual money?
    They've released a number of fairly expensive items, lowriders and yachts and stuff. Sure, dedicated players will earn the money but I'm pretty certain there's a lot of people who will buy virtual money to save grinding.

New item's prices seem artificially high to encourage the purchasing of shark cards.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2016 13:53:13 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My only problem with the merging of SP and MP are that other people are arseholes.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Feb 2016 13:59:34 12,885 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RoyBatty wrote:
    My only problem with the merging of SP and MP are that other people are arseholes.
    Which in itself has huge potential in a game largely about arseholes.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.