Sky Q - Are you getting it? Page 2

• robthehermit 4 Feb 2016 09:16:01 7,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll be looking into it. I think that the monthly cost is going to be in line with what I'm paying now. As others have said though, the upfront cost is the sticking point.

Did I read somewhere that the new hub, main box and mini box all run off built in power line adaptors and all function as wireless access points? That would be pretty handy.
  • mikew1985 4 Feb 2016 09:19:49 14,611 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    4k football would be the only possible thing to attract me currently but it's not coming until "later" apparently.

I really hate that I love football so much, I would have binned broadcast TV yonks ago if I didn't watch it.

Also since our company is a Sky partner I get Sky ridiculously cheap so there is no way I'm upgrading unless it comes in a similar package.
  • ibenam 4 Feb 2016 09:22:20 3,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    People still watch tv?

Youtube ftw.
  • brokenkey 4 Feb 2016 09:31:08 10,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    300 channels but you can only watch 2 of them at the same time? Waste of money.
  • Psiloc 4 Feb 2016 09:32:13 5,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We have Sky TV but I don't think we've ever paid for it beyond the first year. We just want the internet like you lot, so when that time of the year rolls around they say "it's time to start paying for the TV guys" we just phone them up and say "really, really, no". They do their spiel about their "exciting" new offers, but when they get the idea that we really don't want the fucking TV, they give it to us for free again if we sign another 12 month contract for the internet.
  • ToonMonkey 4 Feb 2016 09:38:23 492 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the HD content 1080p yet? Feel like they should try and provide actual HD content before introducing 4K.
  • Psiloc 4 Feb 2016 09:41:37 5,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1080i.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 09:46:38 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    People still watch tv?

Youtube ftw.
    Yeah, I sacked off Game of Thrones in favour of 'Cunts React to Game of Thrones' videos and couldn't be happier
  • JuanKerr 4 Feb 2016 09:49:35 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just subscribed to the 'Cunts React to Cunts Reacting to Game of Thrones' video channel.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 09:49:47
    I don't really understand it. Maybe it's too early in the morning. I can see it's better than my current Sky+ box in terms of extra features but not enough of an improvement for me to consider paying those higher prices. Yes, I could record up to 3 things now but that was rarely a problem. I usually ended up downloading things On Demand anyways so I didn't have to deal with the ad breaks. What am I missing?

I got Sky F1 as a legacy customer as part of the Entertainment bundle and watch the occasional Sky series like the Walking Dead but I've been thinking Now TV might be better overall. Probably 90% of my viewing is Amazon Prime or Netflix now anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, Game of Thrones too, but to be honest I'm not that bothered.

Edited by DukeSilver at 09:50:55 04-02-2016
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 09:51:26
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The death rattle of a dying monopoly. Fuck em.
    Murdoch will never get any of my money ... ever
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 09:53:10
    if our internet weren't so shite we'd have ditched sky long ago, but it is, we'll likely get skyq when we're offered a deal on it
  • Blackmarsh63 4 Feb 2016 09:56:11 2,548 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Binned $ky a few years ago . Not missed it to be honest and it's great knowing that slime-ball Murdoch isn't getting any of my hard-earned. :)
  • mikew1985 4 Feb 2016 10:03:48 14,611 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    $ky, clever.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 10:07:52
    I have to say NowTV does seem like good value, and I wouldn't even need a box as I could just use the One. But as stated I hate everything that Murdoch stands for so I just refuse to give that cunt any of my money.

Can't believe what some people pay for their TV these days.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 10:23:38 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think it's just reaching a tipping point. Streaming services are maturing just as traditional tv bundles are becoming noticeably terrible value for money.
  • mrpon 4 Feb 2016 10:24:51 35,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    The father in law just wants to watch F1, what is his cheapest option?
    I watch it on NowTV
    I forgot a key word, live! Is it live on NowTV?
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 10:31:03 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah. You can buy Sky Sports daily passes for 7 I think. How many races are there a month? 2?

Edited by Dougs at 10:31:22 04-02-2016
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 10:31:13 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, you can watch all of the movie, sports and entertainment channels live.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 10:34:31 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah. You can buy Sky Sports daily passes for 7 I think. How many races are there a month? 2?
    It's a bit pikey but I go Dutch with my old man. I ponce his Netflix login and he has my now tv one.

We take it in turns to buy a day pass when derby are on telly and because I've logged him in on his Apple TV, he can pay for the day pass with his Apple Store account, so it all works out pretty well.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 10:37:06
    Looking at the numbers, it's up to 21 races this season so if you needed to buy 21 week passes (from Now TV they're 10.99 for a 7 day pass) that's 231.

A month pass is 31.99 so if there's a month with 3 or more races it could be better value getting a month pass, which is May, July & October. That makes the cost about 200.

If you wanted to watch the TV coverage when that's on, that's about half the races so brings it down to about 100.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 10:52:17
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It's a bit pikey but I go Dutch with my old man. I ponce his Netflix login and he has my now tv one.

We take it in turns to buy a day pass when derby are on telly and because I've logged him in on his Apple TV, he can pay for the day pass with his Apple Store account, so it all works out pretty well.
    How many devices can you use at once? I can't spot that in the small print at the moment.
  • Fourwisemen 4 Feb 2016 10:58:50 821 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm looking into it, I'm a sucker for new stuff and accept as an early adopter I'll get stiffed. Price to pay.

The system looks pretty slick, the power line stuff is pretty cool, every box is a wireless hub etc. and I'll pick up a 4K TV this year I hope and they'll launch their 4K service later in the year.

I still like the idea of a sky sub, even if it does cost a fortune.
  • binky Moderator 4 Feb 2016 11:00:47 10,970 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's football that keeps me with Sky as well, although I've just noticed that my cost has crept up to 90 a month again!

That's for fibre, phone, and sky with all the trimmings. Can do without movies (need to turn that off again after having a deal) but that's still 80. I've tried the day pass route before but it's really not as nice to watch as a native HD broadcast.

BT infinity package works out at 52 for what we want and that's with bt sport instead of sky sports. Hmm.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 11:05:58 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DukeSilver wrote:

How many devices can you use at once? I can't spot that in the small print at the moment.
    2 concurrent streams. And you can only register 4 devices
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2016 12:10:46 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Related, I just cancelled my TV license too. Can't really be arsed with live TV.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:17:06
    In a related question does anyone know the best streaming services for sports using VPN's? I remember someone on this forum discussing a Premier League service in hong kong or some such which costs bugger all but lets you watch all the games which are not on sky or BT.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:20:11
    Psychotext wrote:
    Related, I just cancelled my TV license too. Can't really be arsed with live TV.
    Still using Iplayer? Still need a TV licence.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:21:26
    SwissTony1994 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Still using Iplayer? Still need a TV licence.
    Pretty sure you don't as long as you do not watch live TV.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:25:02
    Probably should post this in a different thread but as it fits with the discussion I'll stick it here. I have Sky in the living room. My PC is plugged into the living room TV and I use that to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I want to ditch a Sky subscription but might like to watch the odd thing of theirs. Recommend me some boxes please or point me at a thread with that info. Is the Roku worth the extra money over NowTV? Any other alternatives? I heard that NowTV over PC is SD only so I can probably justify spending a bit on a decent box (especially if it saves electricity over my desktop PC). I'm fairly technical so could handle a reflash if that's what all the cool kids are doing.

I have an Amazon Firestick upstairs which is great for 25 but sometimes is a bit slow, perhaps because of reduced memory, so don't mind spending a bit more for something smoother.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.