Sky Q - Are you getting it? Page 20

Next Last
  • SuperCoolEskimo 15 Dec 2018 12:55:36 11,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sky offered me an upgrade to Sky Q when I rang them the other week. £20 installation, free 2TB box and £75 a month for all the channels which is what Iím paying at the moment anyway.

Is there that much 4K content to make it worthwhile upgrading?
  • Blackmarsh63 15 Dec 2018 13:02:41 2,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo There's a fair bit of 4k stuff coming through now after a slow start. Movies and sport mainly.
  • jimnastics 15 Dec 2018 15:11:18 1,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know it's really uncool to praise Sky for anything, but Sky Q is genuinely excellent... we had it installed in the spring, one of the best entertainment decisions I've made in recent years. The upgrade from the old Sky+ system is like travelling ahead a couple of decades!
  • crashVoodoo 4 May 2019 13:01:01 6,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is there anyway to series link downloads not box sets?

Since not everything is aired in 4k they offer a downloadable copy in 4k. The series link still records th aired version and I have to then download the 4k version to watch.

It's a fucking annoyance and I can't find a setting in preferences to fix this shit.
  • jimnastics 4 May 2019 13:04:31 1,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Is there anyway to series link downloads not box sets?

Since not everything is aired in 4k they offer a downloadable copy in 4k. The series link still records th aired version and I have to then download the 4k version to watch.

It's a fucking annoyance and I can't find a setting in preferences to fix this shit.
    There is an option to set the default download format:

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote and select Settings, then Setup.
    2. Select Preferences, then On Demand default download format, and choose SD, HD or UHD.

I'm sure that does what you're after, doesn't it?
  • crashVoodoo 4 May 2019 13:21:29 6,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @jimnastics thanks but I already have that set. What I'm after is for the box to stop recording the HD version of a series link and download the UHD version instead - automatically
  • Blackmarsh63 4 May 2019 13:26:46 2,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @crashVoodoo You can just watch whatever "On Demand" and set the Auto Download Next Episode" to on.
  • jimnastics 4 May 2019 13:26:46 1,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    @jimnastics thanks but I already have that set. What I'm after is for the box to stop recording the HD version of a series link and download the UHD version instead - automatically
    Aaah I see... the way I do this is to only ever watch from On Demand the shows you want to watch like this in UHD. So start watching the next episode from On Demand in UHD, and it will automatically download the next epside for you in UHD (and will keep downloading the next one as you watch new ones).
  • crashVoodoo 4 May 2019 13:47:52 6,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Normally I would too but some shows only offer a download alongside the airing of the new ep.

Only way to resolve this at the moment is to wait until all episodes have aired and then watch them sequentially...
  • Blackmarsh63 4 May 2019 13:59:45 2,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Does the 4k new show automatically download after its been aired?
  • greg_wha 4 May 2019 14:22:54 1,336 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently moved from a Virgin Media area and in the process of choosing Sky as my new ISP I got Sky Q TV as well. He convinced me, £27pm for interweb or £35pm per month for internet and TV, which inevitably ended up being £52pm after HD, multi room and a 2tb box. What can I say I'm a sucker.

Now there is nothing I can do about going from a 200mb speed to a 30mb for basically the same price but I didn't realise the Sky Q Hub's Wi-Fi would be so turgid. Everything bar phones and tablets is ethernet'd so it isn't a disaster but does anyone have experience getting a proper router working through Sky? With VM it was as easy as putting their router into modem mode and wiring my ASUS to it. Doesn't seem so easy with Sky, I've googled and it's just confused me.
  • Blackmarsh63 4 May 2019 14:36:41 2,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @greg_wha Surely you can just get your own router and plug it via ethernet into the SKY router. You cant disable the SKY wifi though as the mutiroom runs off that.

Not quite that straightforward lol.

This might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkQsvELO48

Edited by Blackmarsh63 at 15:01:21 04-05-2019
  • greg_wha 4 May 2019 15:06:10 1,336 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63 Cheers, Iíll give that a watch.

So youíre forced to run the multi room box wirelessly? The Sky guy I ordered from said I could run a Ethernet cable to it because my plan is to have it in my cellar which gets zero WiFi signal.
  • Blackmarsh63 4 May 2019 15:36:39 2,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @greg_wha You can connect it via a cable but it needs to connected to the sky router i think. The wifi option is crap. My boxes are about 20 feet apart and still lose connection .

It seems if you connect it via a cable your mini-box becomes a wifi hotspot so maybe useful for your setup.

Edited by Blackmarsh63 at 15:40:00 04-05-2019
  • crashVoodoo 4 May 2019 15:58:18 6,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63 nope, that's the problem
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.