Sky Q - Are you getting it? Page 3

• AceGrace 4 Feb 2016 12:25:10 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm just mulling over whether to get rid of Virgin Tivo.

I am going to be paying 60.99 a month from next month. It gives me

XL phone package
    L TV package
    100mb broadband.

If I remove the TV package I will save about 11 a month (due to discounts etc...)

I want to keep the phone and broadband.

I already pay for NetFlix.

I am just wondering whether to get rid of the TV and get a 9.99 subscription to Now TV too which will mean I will have

NetFlix
    Now TV
    iPlayer
    and possibly put in my freeview box for live TV.

I am not adverse to paying for Amazon Prime too if need be.

I have a Shield TV box (as well as XBone and PS4) so all of the above are covered except freeview.

Does anyone know if Kodi can access UK Freeview (which I take would be above board because I pay the licence fee)?

Thoughts?
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:27:06
    whatfruit wrote:
    SwissTony1994 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Related, I just cancelled my TV license too. Can't really be arsed with live TV.
    Still using Iplayer? Still need a TV licence.
    Pretty sure you don't as long as you do not watch live TV.
    Fair enough ...

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/tvlicence

I was always under the impression you need it regardless, I stand corrected. Personally I don't think I could go that far regarding 'cutting the cord'. I don't watch a massive amount of Live TV these days (who does in reality), but even so I still have BBC news on in the background most of the time.

Edited by SwissTony1994 at 12:28:12 04-02-2016
  • Jimez 4 Feb 2016 12:34:02 392 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sky are trying, i'll give them that. Canned Sky last year, it's the best thing i've done in a while. Like many others, having Netflix, NowTV and Amazon Prime is a whole lot cheaper. And there is more content, so that's pleasing.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 12:37:37 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was on XL and multiroom and knocked everything down to basic for about 36 quid a month after I realised my brother was leasing a car for the same price as our virgin bill.

100mb broadband, phone and freeview on the TiVo box.

Shoved the old PS3 into the bedroom with all the streaming services on it, which more than makes up for the loss of multiroom.

Including the now tv subs we are saving 40 quid a month.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:38:45 04-02-2016
  • sherpa1984 4 Feb 2016 12:41:29 802 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    sherpa1984 wrote:
    No mention of 4k in the OP's post? Wasn't this the big selling point of Sky Q? I might get it, currently we have the entertainment package (and their broadband). Ridiculously expensive but their on demand box sets are good for premium tv shows which I can't get on Netflix/amazon
    Sub to NOWTV for the same box sets, fir a fiver a month.
    I looked at this but isn't nowtv capped at 720p? Put me off getting it.

Oh and I didn't see the one-off cost for this SkyQ: fuck that.
  • AceGrace 4 Feb 2016 12:43:44 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I was on XL and multiroom and knocked everything down to basic for about 36 quid a month after I realised my brother was leasing a car for the same price as our virgin bill.

100mb broadband, phone and freeview on the TiVo box.

Shoved the old PS3 into the bedroom with all the streaming services on it, which more than makes up for the loss of multiroom.

Including the now tv subs we are saving 40 quid a month.
    How did you manage that?

What is your phone package?
  • CompetitiveDad 4 Feb 2016 12:47:42 8,168 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I was to get rid of Sky TV would anyone know if I'm still able to watch the likes of BBC, ITV and C4 etc through the box as I don't have an outside aerial?

Edit: ffs

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 12:48:53 04-02-2016
  • Reviewer_ 4 Feb 2016 12:48:37 359 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Other than sport there's no point in anything else from sky if you can get half decent broadband. There are cheaper options to get everything you ever could want to watch.

Even after reading the description of this it just seems like sky with a few features no one needs.

Edited by Reviewer_ at 12:49:30 04-02-2016
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 12:50:29
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    If I was to get rid of Sky TV would anyone know if I'm still able to watch the likes of BBC, ITV and C4 etc through the box as I don't have an outside aerial?

The Sky box will still work for free channels without a viewing card. Or Freesat. Or On Demand.
  • Reviewer_ 4 Feb 2016 12:51:38 359 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CompetitiveDad wrote:

Yep, the box becomes a freesat box without the ability to record but you can get one of them.
  • CompetitiveDad 4 Feb 2016 12:56:44 8,168 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DukeSilver wrote:
    CompetitiveDad wrote:

The Sky box will still work for free channels without a viewing card. Or Freesat. Or On Demand.
    Thanks. I seriously need to sit down and sort out my bills ASAP.

Sky TV only multiroom with bells and whistles I think is around 85 per month, plus BT sport sub separately at 13.50(which will rise soon) and Virgin broadband and phone for 53.

Don't even use the landline unless someone rings us, broadband for gaming and I mainly watch the sport.

/kicks own arse
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 13:01:27 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sherpa1984 wrote:

I looked at this but isn't nowtv capped at 720p? Put me off getting it.

Oh and I didn't see the one-off cost for this SkyQ: fuck that.
    The new Roku NowTV box is apparently 1080p. Whether Sky pump content out at that, who knows. The PQ is poor compared to Netflix but still decent enough for the most part, certainly not poor enough for me to spend extra!

@Duke - just get the NowTV box, that comes with 3 months entertainment/2 months movies etc.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 13:10:02
    Dougs wrote:
    @Duke - just get the NowTV box, that comes with 3 months entertainment/2 months movies etc.
    I'm generally happy with the PC for Netflix and Amazon but with the chance of buying a NowTV box it made me think about how much energy my PC uses on a simple streaming task. But as you say, NowTV is very cheap when you add in that free subscription start.
  • binky Moderator 4 Feb 2016 13:10:19 10,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I wonder if the new box means I'll be able to watch in 1080p finally?
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 13:13:38 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah yeah, I'd forgotten that the NowTV boxes don't have Netflix (what with it being a competing service and all that). A console would have the lot, although how much cheaper they are to run than a PC....
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 13:41:44
    I'd half thought about a console but wonder if I'd end up using it to mostly watch TV, which might be overkill.

I'd also might need a new amp as mine only accepts optical. I think everything is HDMI now. Stupid amp and its stupid optical only input.
  • binky Moderator 4 Feb 2016 13:46:31 10,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Looks like the new box is definitely 1080p which is a nice little upgrade. I'm also now liking the idea of portable multi room in the form of the mini box.

Sky sports outside in the summer? Nicely.
    /buys parasol upgrade
  • Blackmarsh63 4 Feb 2016 13:52:38 2,548 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its laughable that people moan about the lack of 4k content at the moment when 1080p is still not widely available.
  • brokenkey 4 Feb 2016 14:09:23 10,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Isn't NowTV owned by Sky/Murdoch?
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 14:14:40 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes. It's just Sky's streaming service, but is reasonably priced for once.
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2016 14:19:06 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    Pretty sure you don't as long as you do not watch live TV.
    Correct. You can watch time delayed stuff on iPlayer just fine without a licence.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 14:22:05 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At the moment....
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 14:43:01
    brokenkey wrote:
    Isn't NowTV owned by Sky/Murdoch?
    Yes ... Sadly
  • Deleted user 4 February 2016 14:44:30
    The SkyQ Box can output 4k as does the new NowTV box which is a rebadged Roku.

[edit for clarity]

Edited by El_MUERkO at 14:45:20 04-02-2016
  • sherpa1984 4 Feb 2016 15:02:53 802 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have just checked, regardless of whether your streaming box supports 1080p or not, Nowtv will only be on 720p. Kinda rules it out for me.

Edited by sherpa1984 at 15:03:15 04-02-2016
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2016 15:13:50 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    At the moment....
    Doubt that'll change given how (probably rightly) scared of the Conservatives the BBC are.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 15:20:37 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That extra res really worth the extra outlay?
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2016 15:21:31 90,249 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Doubt that'll change given how (probably rightly) scared of the Conservatives the BBC are.
    The BBC have already floated the prospect of a licence being needed for iPlayer at all, I think.
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2016 15:22:46 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sure, but there's no way it's going to happen with the current lot in power is what I'm saying.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2016 15:25:41 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AceGrace - it was anytime calls but now it's vanilla. One of the reasons our bill was so big was that the Mrs kept going over the hour 'free' limit and getting stung for the whole call. Managed to convince her to finally use her mobile minutes.

The package is just what I landed on a year ago when I called to cancel everything and was offered the basics as an alternative when I gave 'too expensive' as a reason to cancel.

It may be slightly more now as I think they price bumped everything by a few quid at some point, but that's what I initially got them down to.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.