Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII) Page 121

• Tonka 3 Oct 2018 10:32:32 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    bad9 is definitely on the list.
  • Tonka 3 Oct 2018 10:33:40 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One day I would like to have a pint with the genius who came up with the "make the first post on new page as incomprehensible as possible" algorithm.

Consistently awesome.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Oct 2018 10:37:36 13,158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As Alan Partridge once said "you're a mentalist".

Edited by JamboWayOh at 10:37:48 03-10-2018
  • Psiloc 3 Oct 2018 10:50:52 5,067 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I know you're not meant to judge people by their taste in art, but if you like the prequels I unironically and literally think less of you as a human being.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2018 10:52:58
    All I will say is I wish Disney had sucked it up and paid Spielberg a stupid amount of money to helm these movies.

J.J Abrams is a poor mans chief cock goblin.
  • dominalien 3 Oct 2018 11:08:58 9,129 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spielberg is a shadow of his former self as well. Has been for decades now. Christopher Nolan would do a better job, provided they'd give him a decent writing team.
  • ChocNut 3 Oct 2018 11:18:48 2,436 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought last Jedi was cool.

I was fortunate in that Iíd had a rough few months in my life and when I scraped by the opportunity to see the movie in a local screen it was projected with a slightly soft focus. Normally Iíd have complained but the staff there are woeful and I decided to just not take it too seriously and just relax.

Iím a huge fan of Star Wars and although there were a couple of details I didnít like, I thought overall it was a good ole movie.

Itís not the second coming. Itís a movie. And it was cool.

So was the force awakens.

I think theyíve screwed themselves for the next movie though as the entire original cast is gone.

Edited by ChocNut at 11:19:18 03-10-2018
  • Tonka 3 Oct 2018 11:35:03 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    All I will say is I wish Disney had sucked it up and paid Spielberg a stupid amount of money to helm these movies.

Whilst I'm no JJ fan (he's OK I guess) and I found Ready Player One very entertaining, I'm still not sure Spielberg would have done any better with SW than what we have. I even think he'd done worse.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Oct 2018 11:36:31 15,733 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Spielberg is a shadow of his former self as well. Has been for decades now. Christopher Nolan would do a better job, provided they'd give him a decent writing team.
    Decades?

A decade maybe, but Private Ryan, AI, Munich and Minority Report were all in the last 20 years and are up there with some of his best films.

AI incidentally might be one of the most underrated films of all time. Looking more and more like a genuine masterpiece as time goes by.
  • senso-ji 3 Oct 2018 11:37:53 9,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doesn't matter which director they hired, the films are all designed by committee anyway, as evidence by the number of directors they fired over 'creative differences'.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2018 11:47:43
    Tonka wrote:
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:

Whilst I'm no JJ fan (he's OK I guess) and I found Ready Player One very entertaining, I'm still not sure Spielberg would have done any better with SW than what we have. I even think he'd done worse.
    I like to think Speilberg would have brought a more classic film making touch rejecting the Marvel style in jokes and mugging to the audience.

Ready Player One for all its fantastical touches played its story straight creating a genuine sense of the dramatic stakes. I think the faults of the film lie with the weak source material as RPO is a terrible book.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2018 11:54:15
    @You-can-call-me-kal Warhorse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies and the BFG were all solid movies.

Even The Post is an enjoyable watch. As I explained above the problems with Ready Player One was with the source material. I'm pretty sure Speilberg took on the project so he could get some good will in the bank before he proceeds with his remake of West Side Story.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2018 12:08:17 77,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The best bits of ready player one are the parts with humans. You can tell he kind of loses control of anything with a ton of CGI in it now.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Oct 2018 12:22:45 15,733 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think he phoned in RP1 a little, which is fine. He's good enough to do that and still make a very solid film, but you get the sense it wasn't really a passion project for him. I do agree he hasn't really done much of huge worth in the last decade, but he's still got it.

I agree also it wouldn't have made much difference having him do Star Wars and the suggestion of Nolan doing them is ridiculous. Just so clearly not the right kind of director for SW. Johnson was bad enough in terms of 'making it his own' and look what happened with that.

SW needs solid pair of hands action film implementors. JJ is perfect. Whedon could have worked. Joe Russo. Jon Favreau. Basically any MCU director could have done the job, but again JJ is fine.
  • richarddavies 3 Oct 2018 12:32:14 6,708 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Who directed Human centipede? The cowboy hat wearing fucker. Get him to do the next one, he'll shake things up.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2018 12:35:36
    I do not understand the acceptance of JJ Abrams as a good director the man has never made a film which is outstanding in its genre.

The best movies he has directed were the middling Star Trek films and the worst Mission Impossible, yes worse than John Woo's abysmal effort.

SW needed a director who would treat it as Space Opera Medieval Fantasy not bubble gum pop sci fi comic books.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Oct 2018 12:37:09 19,735 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    AI incidentally might be one of the most underrated films of all time. Looking more and more like a genuine masterpiece as time goes by.
    Guess I need to watch it again because I thought it was pretty dreadful at the time.
  • Tonka 3 Oct 2018 12:39:09 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good point about not making SW (at least the main tentpole films) in a driectors personal style. But JJ is soooooo vanilla though. He's as exiting as the localised version of a McDonalds breakfast.

Just a little spice wouldn't hurt. But yeah.. as much as I enjoyed TLJ I can see how RJ took it too far for some. I really hope he gets to do his own trilogy and that it becomes a distinct Johnson series. I was hoping he'd take the money he made from TLJ and make another indie film.

I can't see a numbered SW from Nolan being anything but miss.
  • richarddavies 3 Oct 2018 12:39:53 6,708 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's alright JJ.

• You-can-call-me-kal 3 Oct 2018 12:42:36 15,733 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2018 13:32:35 20,094 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Christopher Nolan would be ideal to suck all the remaining fun out of the series.
  • Load_2.0 3 Oct 2018 14:14:15 29,324 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am not sure directing Space Wizards episode 15 is all that appealing. It comes with huge baggage and a lot of the time you are shouting at someone dressed in a fur suit or looking at CGI.

Beyond the $$$ and unless you are a big fan it's not exactly a dream job.
  • Tonka 3 Oct 2018 14:21:38 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Was that really confirmed though?
    There was a lot of talk and rumors but the closest to anything official I saw was Rian Johnson saying he was still working on his trilogy.

https://geektyrant.com/news/no-rian-johnsons-star-wars-trilogy-has-not-been-canceled-its-still-in-development

Then Kathleen Kennedy got three more years

Maybe those confirmations you read were from the IRA In St. Petersburg?
  • Tonka 3 Oct 2018 16:00:16 29,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, Iger famously tried to stop PotC and see how that went. (Although I for one wish he had succeeded).

We'll see how it goes.
  • thelzdking 3 Oct 2018 20:17:54 9,355 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want John Waters' Star Wars.

Also, weren't the other films canned because of Solo's poor takings rather than bed-wetting man-children nerd-raging at TLJ?

TBF it wasn't a good film, but not really for all the nerd reasons.

Edited by thelzdking at 20:36:19 03-10-2018
  • elstoof 3 Oct 2018 20:24:06 23,159 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    John Waters is amazing. I caught up with the Blacklist last night and he made a cameo in a scene with James Spader, it was the best thing Iíve seen all yesr
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Oct 2018 20:48:42 19,735 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Every gun has to go zzzzzap.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Oct 2018 20:55:11 13,158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha. Classic episode

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.